LOOKING FOR NEW ZERO TURN

Black Bart

Threads
When I was shopping for a new mower this spring I looked at them for how easy they were to service.
The Toro does not have a frame it is like a unibody they stamp it from a large sheet of metal.
This makes it difficult to service.

The Simplicity has grease Zerk's on the deck but they are underneath and you must jack it up and lay under it to grease the deck.
The JD EZ Trak has a foot plate that is hinged you just swing it up and it exposes the whole deck.
Grease Zerk's are right on top and real easy to access.

Where the others had a plate bolted down in the rear the JD has a large plate that is hinged and the seat is bolted to it.
You just fold the seat over and you can pressure wash the pumps and drive motors.
JD is by far the best design for easy servicing.

From what I have seen the JD has a Superior cut over most others also.

If I decide to sell my JD I will get a better return on my money than anything else that I could have bought.:thumbsup:

When you consider things other than the original cost then JD Begin's to look really good.
Buy from a nearby reputable dealer you don't want to haul it 50 miles to get parts or service.

ONTHESTRINGER

Threads
I assumed that you were getting your info from the Internet so I did a search, I goggled for John Deere overheating and sure enough some came up.

I only read 2 threads about it but it turned out just like I thought.

First one I read was a guy mowing extremely high stuff and he said it was plugging the screen over the radiator.

So what did he do about it????? NOTHING he just kept running it knowing it was overheating and now he is blaming JD because it is running poorly :eek:

A lot of people have no idea of how a piece of equipment works they are absolutely clueless.

Because he is an idiot he now blames JD for his problems after all it could not possibly be his fault. :laughing:

Yes, I read about some overheating issues on the internet, but also have talked with many of the lawn care groups and they said the same thing. Alot of the lawn care guys and dealers said they have less issues with the air cooled motors. I was shocked and know plenty about maint. I can rebuild my own motors, fabricate, and do what ever is needed. I'm sure alot of these issues are people not keeping the radiator & screens cleaned. I did drive the Koehler 34 Hp and it seemed to have more torque than the diesel as stated on the specification sheets. I'm aware of the long life expectancey of the diesel over gas motors but after talking with some of the lawn care guys they are getting 2000-4000 hrs on some of there units with muliple drivers and seemed to have no issues. I have a grasshopper 18hp 54" deck with over 4000 hours on the motor no issues (older model), the zipper I have has a Koehler command 22 with a 64" deck it has about 480 hrs no issues but the motor needs to be bigger for larger grass --- it's okay for a normal maintained yard. I like the set up for the diesel in the JD the most because it's the only unit I've seen with the radiator mounted in the back and uses a large screen on the motor cover. I've went to the JD place three times and haven't recieved a call yet about a demo, I ran it (997 72") a little @ the JD palce the other day was impressed but not so impressed with the power for the grass I mowed.

ONTHESTRINGER

Threads
Have you looked at Toro? They have some really nice commercial mowers, both in diesel and gas, Great cutting decks. good suspensions and I like the kawasaki motors. Worth looking at before you buy.

I have not looked @ them yet but did find a local dealer. I saw a video on U-tube of a Toro and JD diesel about the same size and the TORO ran circles around the JD. Don't know if had anything to do with the operator or it was that much more powerful.

Last edited:

ONTHESTRINGER

Threads
Anyone had any dealings with the dixie choppers in the diesel series?

ONTHESTRINGER

Threads
Drove a 3374 dixie chopper today! Awesome machine, 33 hp Generac w/ 74" deck. Price is better than Exmark. Had nice ride, and was well designed. :thumbsup

Going to mow about 5 acres with an Exmark this week to compare.

Black Bart

Threads
Drove a 3374 dixie chopper today! Awesome machine, 33 hp Generac w/ 74" deck. Price is better than Exmark. Had nice ride, and was well designed. :thumbsup

Going to mow about 5 acres with an Exmark this week to compare.

I'm curious are you mowing a lawn or just a large area of mostly weeds.

ONTHESTRINGER

Threads
I'm curious are you mowing a lawn or just a large area of mostly weeds.

Both. I planted 40 acres of common bermuda a little over a yr ago but only got rain about twice. The part that I mow all the time is spreading very well but needs rain. The lawn @ one place is only about 5 acres. I might take in more after the bermuda gets more established. I usually mow the other weeds/bermuda mixed with a 14ft shredder. I have a another 5 acres that is mostly carpet grass. A few other locations of thick carpet grass but only a few acres.

Black Bart

Threads
Both. I planted 40 acres of common bermuda a little over a yr ago but only got rain about twice. The part that I mow all the time is spreading very well but needs rain. The lawn @ one place is only about 5 acres. I might take in more after the bermuda gets more established. I usually mow the other weeds/bermuda mixed with a 14ft shredder. I have a another 5 acres that is mostly carpet grass. A few other locations of thick carpet grass but only a few acres.

WOW that is a lot of mowing. The reason I ask was around here for area that is mostly weeds they use a flail mower not very pretty cut but boy they sure will cut tall weeds.

A finishing mower that mows best will not always be best for mowing foot high weeds.
I guess I'm glad I don't have to mow all that. :biggrin:

ONTHESTRINGER

Threads
WOW that is a lot of mowing. The reason I ask was around here for area that is mostly weeds they use a flail mower not very pretty cut but boy they sure will cut tall weeds.

A finishing mower that mows best will not always be best for mowing foot high weeds.
I guess I'm glad I don't have to mow all that. :biggrin:

That's why I'm looking for something to cover it quickly but still need something with enough power to cut if it gets away during the wet season --- if that ever happens again. I usually cut it down to 1.5" or 1.75". Some of the bermuda I'm intending to fertilize and bale if I can get established.

Black Bart

Threads
That's why I'm looking for something to cover it quickly but still need something with enough power to cut if it gets away during the wet season --- if that ever happens again. I usually cut it down to 1.5" or 1.75". Some of the bermuda I'm intending to fertilize and bale if I can get established.

Sounds like you need a sickle bar instead of a lawn mower. :laughing: