Export thread

LOOKING FOR NEW ZERO TURN

O

ONTHESTRINGER

I currently own a Grasshopper18 HP w/54" deck has about 4200 hrs & a Zipper 23 hp w/64" DECK 420 hrs. I like both mowers but the grasshopper is getting old / the zipper is fairly new but I live in Texas and have to order parts from California. I mow 10 -12 acres, I've looked @ the new grasshoppers but do not like that the lift switch is located on the deck. The snapper is nice but the radiator is located behind the seat along with the grasshopper. Both of the mowers I current own are flip decks. The Kubota is built pretty solid, I like the Kubota diesel but don't like the radiator behind the seat. The Kubota has 4 yrs 0%. However the John Deere 997 is a well built machine with the radiator in the back but is a very big machine and does not have any specials for financing. Anyone have any experiences with any of these machines? I'm leaning towards a 31 to 35 hp diesel with a 72" deck. I'm not to sure about the Yanmar diesels, I've looked @ a few tractors with Yanmar motors and they have all seemed to have overheating issues.

K

KennyV

Hello & WELCOME to LMF....
Yanmar makes a good engine... I am partial to Kubota Diesel, but either is likely going to be good...

You will really like a 72 inch deck over the 54 or 64 inch... doesn't seem like a lot of difference but it really adds up on a large mowing area...
Get one you like the most, because they should run for thousands of hours, and you don't need thousands of hours on something you really didn't want... :smile:KennyV

O

ONTHESTRINGER

Going to look @ an Exmark tomorrow 72" 34HP gas. Anyone know any goods or bad about this model. 0% financing for 3yrs, 4yr warranty. The dealer is claiming that the 34HP gas has more torque than the diesel.

P

polly

I would look at the husq mz6128--Heard it was almost commercial. Plus under 5 thou.--polly

O

ONTHESTRINGER

Haven't heard of those in my area. I'm looking to buy something local that I can easily get parts for. I have to order parts for the Zipper that I'm current running from Caifornia. Takes to long.... Thanks

B

Black Bart

I bought a John Deere 430 with the Yanmar diesel back in 1985 and to date have had ZERO problems with it.
Of all the Brands you mentioned only one will still have all the parts you may need in 25 years from now and that is John Deere.

Over 100 years and still #1 selling more than anyone else and for a good reason.

If you just want something for a few years and then try to get something out of it on a new one it won't matter but if you plan on keeping it for years then the best choice is JD.

Mowing 12 acres you are the perfect candidate for a diesel it will save $$$$$$$$$$$$

O

ONTHESTRINGER

Wow that's good to know about the Yanmar. I have a john deere 4240 with a Rino loader it has over 8000 hrs --- it's been very good. I was leaning towards the diesels but the more I talk to everyone there has been a lot of over heating issues. However JD has the best design as far as the radiator location goes that I have seen so far. It is the only one located in the back.

I looked @ an Exmark with a 34hp Koehler Command that has more torque than the diesels & about 5 grand less than the JD. Too many different options now days. I'm going to test a few more before making my discission.

B

Black Bart

Wow that's good to know about the Yanmar. I have a john deere 4240 with a Rino loader it has over 8000 hrs --- it's been very good. I was leaning towards the diesels but the more I talk to everyone there has been a lot of over heating issues. However JD has the best design as far as the radiator location goes that I have seen so far. It is the only one located in the back.

I looked @ an Exmark with a 34hp Koehler Command that has more torque than the diesels & about 5 grand less than the JD. Too many different options now days. I'm going to test a few more before making my discission.

I have never heard of any overheating issues it would be my guess that they need to blow the stuff out of the radiator it will suck dead grass into it.

Comparing a Koehler command to a Yanmar is like comparing a Rolls to a KIA :laughing:
They are not even close Yanmar will run on a third the cost for fuel and last 10 times longer.

I will take a Briggs over a Koehler the old ones were pretty good but the new ones are not so great.

B

Black Bart

I assumed that you were getting your info from the Internet so I did a search, I goggled for John Deere overheating and sure enough some came up.

I only read 2 threads about it but it turned out just like I thought.

First one I read was a guy mowing extremely high stuff and he said it was plugging the screen over the radiator.

So what did he do about it????? NOTHING he just kept running it knowing it was overheating and now he is blaming JD because it is running poorly :eek:

A lot of people have no idea of how a piece of equipment works they are absolutely clueless.

Because he is an idiot he now blames JD for his problems after all it could not possibly be his fault. :laughing:

L

linwoodcampbell

Have you looked at Toro? They have some really nice commercial mowers, both in diesel and gas, Great cutting decks. good suspensions and I like the kawasaki motors. Worth looking at before you buy.

B

Black Bart

When I was shopping for a new mower this spring I looked at them for how easy they were to service.
The Toro does not have a frame it is like a unibody they stamp it from a large sheet of metal.
This makes it difficult to service.

The Simplicity has grease Zerk's on the deck but they are underneath and you must jack it up and lay under it to grease the deck.
The JD EZ Trak has a foot plate that is hinged you just swing it up and it exposes the whole deck.
Grease Zerk's are right on top and real easy to access.

Where the others had a plate bolted down in the rear the JD has a large plate that is hinged and the seat is bolted to it.
You just fold the seat over and you can pressure wash the pumps and drive motors.
JD is by far the best design for easy servicing.

From what I have seen the JD has a Superior cut over most others also.

If I decide to sell my JD I will get a better return on my money than anything else that I could have bought.:thumbsup:

When you consider things other than the original cost then JD Begin's to look really good.
Buy from a nearby reputable dealer you don't want to haul it 50 miles to get parts or service.

O

ONTHESTRINGER

I assumed that you were getting your info from the Internet so I did a search, I goggled for John Deere overheating and sure enough some came up.

I only read 2 threads about it but it turned out just like I thought.

First one I read was a guy mowing extremely high stuff and he said it was plugging the screen over the radiator.

So what did he do about it????? NOTHING he just kept running it knowing it was overheating and now he is blaming JD because it is running poorly :eek:

A lot of people have no idea of how a piece of equipment works they are absolutely clueless.

Because he is an idiot he now blames JD for his problems after all it could not possibly be his fault. :laughing:

Yes, I read about some overheating issues on the internet, but also have talked with many of the lawn care groups and they said the same thing. Alot of the lawn care guys and dealers said they have less issues with the air cooled motors. I was shocked and know plenty about maint. I can rebuild my own motors, fabricate, and do what ever is needed. I'm sure alot of these issues are people not keeping the radiator & screens cleaned. I did drive the Koehler 34 Hp and it seemed to have more torque than the diesel as stated on the specification sheets. I'm aware of the long life expectancey of the diesel over gas motors but after talking with some of the lawn care guys they are getting 2000-4000 hrs on some of there units with muliple drivers and seemed to have no issues. I have a grasshopper 18hp 54" deck with over 4000 hours on the motor no issues (older model), the zipper I have has a Koehler command 22 with a 64" deck it has about 480 hrs no issues but the motor needs to be bigger for larger grass --- it's okay for a normal maintained yard. I like the set up for the diesel in the JD the most because it's the only unit I've seen with the radiator mounted in the back and uses a large screen on the motor cover. I've went to the JD place three times and haven't recieved a call yet about a demo, I ran it (997 72") a little @ the JD palce the other day was impressed but not so impressed with the power for the grass I mowed.

O

ONTHESTRINGER

Have you looked at Toro? They have some really nice commercial mowers, both in diesel and gas, Great cutting decks. good suspensions and I like the kawasaki motors. Worth looking at before you buy.

I have not looked @ them yet but did find a local dealer. I saw a video on U-tube of a Toro and JD diesel about the same size and the TORO ran circles around the JD. Don't know if had anything to do with the operator or it was that much more powerful.

O

ONTHESTRINGER

Anyone had any dealings with the dixie choppers in the diesel series?

O

ONTHESTRINGER

Drove a 3374 dixie chopper today! Awesome machine, 33 hp Generac w/ 74" deck. Price is better than Exmark. Had nice ride, and was well designed. :thumbsup

Going to mow about 5 acres with an Exmark this week to compare.

B

Black Bart

Drove a 3374 dixie chopper today! Awesome machine, 33 hp Generac w/ 74" deck. Price is better than Exmark. Had nice ride, and was well designed. :thumbsup

Going to mow about 5 acres with an Exmark this week to compare.

I'm curious are you mowing a lawn or just a large area of mostly weeds.

O

ONTHESTRINGER

I'm curious are you mowing a lawn or just a large area of mostly weeds.

Both. I planted 40 acres of common bermuda a little over a yr ago but only got rain about twice. The part that I mow all the time is spreading very well but needs rain. The lawn @ one place is only about 5 acres. I might take in more after the bermuda gets more established. I usually mow the other weeds/bermuda mixed with a 14ft shredder. I have a another 5 acres that is mostly carpet grass. A few other locations of thick carpet grass but only a few acres.

B

Black Bart

Both. I planted 40 acres of common bermuda a little over a yr ago but only got rain about twice. The part that I mow all the time is spreading very well but needs rain. The lawn @ one place is only about 5 acres. I might take in more after the bermuda gets more established. I usually mow the other weeds/bermuda mixed with a 14ft shredder. I have a another 5 acres that is mostly carpet grass. A few other locations of thick carpet grass but only a few acres.

WOW that is a lot of mowing. The reason I ask was around here for area that is mostly weeds they use a flail mower not very pretty cut but boy they sure will cut tall weeds.

A finishing mower that mows best will not always be best for mowing foot high weeds.
I guess I'm glad I don't have to mow all that. :biggrin:

O

ONTHESTRINGER

WOW that is a lot of mowing. The reason I ask was around here for area that is mostly weeds they use a flail mower not very pretty cut but boy they sure will cut tall weeds.

A finishing mower that mows best will not always be best for mowing foot high weeds.
I guess I'm glad I don't have to mow all that. :biggrin:

That's why I'm looking for something to cover it quickly but still need something with enough power to cut if it gets away during the wet season --- if that ever happens again. I usually cut it down to 1.5" or 1.75". Some of the bermuda I'm intending to fertilize and bale if I can get established.

B

Black Bart

That's why I'm looking for something to cover it quickly but still need something with enough power to cut if it gets away during the wet season --- if that ever happens again. I usually cut it down to 1.5" or 1.75". Some of the bermuda I'm intending to fertilize and bale if I can get established.

Sounds like you need a sickle bar instead of a lawn mower. :laughing:

O

ONTHESTRINGER

Sounds like you need a sickle bar instead of a lawn mower. :laughing:

Need a yard boy!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing:

L

linwoodcampbell

In response to the comparison of John Deere vs. Toro, I should first point out that I am a lawn mower mechanic for a Toro dealer and I my primary responsibility is home owner riders, both Z's and the traditional garden tractor. I also do some new mower setup and some sales.

The homeowner deck is stamped as is the frame. However Toro is the only company to use high alloy American steel. Other companies use sub tubing with stamping but use the low quality steel made in China. I should point out here that we do not sell the garden tractor variety of Toro as we know they are made in China.

As for the greasing issue with zerks. It has been my experience that the vast majority of home owners do NOT grease their machines. An unofficial survey of our customers reveals that most do not even own a grease gun. I find in servicing machines that most owners do not even clean their air filters or check their oil. So having zerks in not an advantage. I believe sealed bearings on spindles and axles and even front forks is preferable. No service needed!

I believe that the John Deere home owner series is produced in China.

As for cutting, the Toro Z series (Timecutters and Titans) are new this year so did not make Consumer Reports. However the decks are the same as last year and last year that were at the top of the chart in cutting (amongst a lot of other things as well).

I apologize if I have sounded offensive in any way. I'm going by my observations and knowledge gained by working in and observing the industry every day.

Hope this helps!

B

Black Bart

In response to the comparison of John Deere vs. Toro, I should first point out that I am a lawn mower mechanic for a Toro dealer and I my primary responsibility is home owner riders, both Z's and the traditional garden tractor. I also do some new mower setup and some sales.

The homeowner deck is stamped as is the frame. However Toro is the only company to use high alloy American steel. Other companies use sub tubing with stamping but use the low quality steel made in China. I should point out here that we do not sell the garden tractor variety of Toro as we know they are made in China.

As for the greasing issue with zerks. It has been my experience that the vast majority of home owners do NOT grease their machines. An unofficial survey of our customers reveals that most do not even own a grease gun. I find in servicing machines that most owners do not even clean their air filters or check their oil. So having zerks in not an advantage. I believe sealed bearings on spindles and axles and even front forks is preferable. No service needed!

As for cutting, the Toro Z series (Timecutters and Titans) are new this year so did not make Consumer Reports. However the decks are the same as last year and last year that were at the top of the chart in cutting (amongst a lot of other things as well).

I apologize if I have sounded offensive in any way. I'm going by my observations and knowledge gained by working in and observing the industry every day.

Hope this helps!
Sounds like you are saying Toros are perfect for idiots. :laughing:

L

linwoodcampbell

Nope, just a really great product line for people who don't want to spend all their free time working on their lawnmowers! :smile:

B

Black Bart

Nope, just a really great product line for people who don't want to spend all their free time working on their lawnmowers! :smile:
Yea I understand where you are coming from.

You prefer they neglect them then pay you for repairing them.

I have been mowing the last 20 years with a Grasshopper bearings are still good but my 25 year old JD 180 has sealed bearing and while it has done little mowing I replaced the deck bearing this week.

What that cost me would have bought grease for the next 100 years.

So what you are saying is the average home owner would rather spend 350 bucks on repairs than 10 bucks on grease.
I would hardly call a couple minutes servicing all my free time but like I pointed out in a earlier post all I need to do is flip the foot board and hit 3 Zerk's and that it.

With a unibody sealed bearings are better because you could not service it anyway.
If it had Zerk's few would use then too difficult to get to them.

O

ONTHESTRINGER

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. I personally like the greasable spindles. I do all of my own maint. Grease spindles after mowing every so many hours, blow out filters every other time mowing depending on the dust, blow off motor so that cooling viens are clean to help aid in cooling, etc. I saw a video on u -tube toro vs JD and the toro ran circles around the JD. I don't know if is was planned like that or true. I'm leaning more towards a Dixie Chopper now. I have a grasshopper with over 4000 hrs.

K

KennyV

You had me right up to the time you started to rationalize sealed bearings by pointing out "that most owners do not even clean their air filters or check their oil." With this rationale the crankcase and air cleaners should be sealed and made non serviceable...

The one place you are right.... for a few folks, "So having zerks in not an advantage."... ONLY an advantage for after sale repairs... just because some people do not service their equipment is no reason to assume that the majority should be prevented the opportunity to service theirs....
The idea that moving parts, especially parts in a very dirty environment should be okay if they are 'sealed' is a bit short sighted...

In a perfectly clean temperature stable environment OR with precise machined support a sealed system may have a chance... none of that is the case with mowers with sealed bearings...

It is slightly cheaper to make poorly supported sealed bearings assemblies... plus a run of replacement parts at the time of manufacture... but it is NOT in the best interest of the consumer... and should not be spun to be so...

It is not just Toro that is pitching this misleading rationale, & I am sure that you are just passing on information that you were given... but it is not completely accurate... a machine designed to be serviceable will lead to it being serviced... there will always be some that neglect things... but the norm should not be aimed at that group... :smile:KennyV

O

ONTHESTRINGER

Well I bit the bullet and purchased a DC 3374 today. Getting it tomorrow @ 11am ---- hopefully it will last a long time!!! It came stock with a Amsoil bypass filter, screw on oil filter, & screw on filters for each drive motor (5YR Warranty) ! Each drive motor/pump has it's own oil cooler & and engine oil cooler. Everything is greaseable!!

K

KennyV

Well I bit the bullet and purchased a DC 3374 today. Getting it tomorrow @ 11am ---- hopefully it will last a long time!!! It came stock with a Amsoil bypass filter, screw on oil filter, & screw on filters for each drive motor (5YR Warranty) ! Each drive motor/pump has it's own oil cooler & and engine oil cooler. Everything is greaseable!!

Sounds GREAT ... I'm impressed that you are getting a bypass filter with that machine.... Very good idea... :smile:KennyV

O

ONTHESTRINGER

What do ya'll think is the best way to sell my Zipper TS-22 lawn mower? It only has 480 hrs and has been well maintained. The only thing I might do is repaint the rims. I was thinking either craigslist or e-bay. Any ideas on what it may be worth? New about 6 -8 yrs ago it cost about $10,500. It has a 22 HP Koehler Command, & a 64" flip deck. I just put new blades on it and recently serviced everything. It's in good shape and everything operates well.

O

ONTHESTRINGER

I've seen a couple on the internet sale for $3000 - $3400 but they had 1400 hrs or more on them and looked like they had alot more wear than mine.

O

ONTHESTRINGER

Got to mow with the new DC 3374 yesterday! I saved about 40 minutes vs the the 64" Zipper. Now I added about another 5 to 6 acres. The ride was very smooth with the springer front end.
:thumbsup:

D

denel

Re: LOOKING FOR NEW ZERO T

I currently own a Grasshopper18 HP w/54" deck has about 4200 hrs & a Zipper 23 hp w/64" DECK 420 hrs. I like both mowers but the grasshopper is getting old / the zipper is fairly new but I live in Texas and have to order parts from California. I mow 10 -12 acres, I've looked @ the new grasshoppers but do not like that the lift switch is located on the deck. The snapper is nice but the radiator is located behind the seat along with the grasshopper. Both of the mowers I current own are flip decks. The Kubota is built pretty solid, I like the Kubota diesel but don't like the radiator behind the seat. The Kubota hafor your s 4 yrs 0%. However the John Deere 997 is a well built machine with the radiator in the back but is a very big machine and does not have any specials for financing. Anyone have any experiences with any of these machines? I'm leaning towards a 31 to 35 hp diesel with a 72" deck. I'm not to sure about the Yanmar diesels, I've looked @ a few tractors with Yanmar motors and they have all seemed to have overheating issues.
you can get parts for

D

denel

You can get Parts out of Kansas, some parts at atwoods stores, but we get ours from ark-o-mo in Silom Springs, Ark. 9184228809 I hope that helped you