Looking for advice re: purchasing a reliable lawn tractor

jcworks

Threads
  • / Looking for advice re: purchasing a reliable lawn tractor
And all this talk ,his question still not answered. I'm going to purchase a new mower soon , I would like to know what is the best , I have lot's of trees and 1-1/2 acres .
And all this talk ,his question still not answered. I'm going to purchase a new mower soon , I would like to know what is the best , I have lot's of trees and 1-1/2 acres .
Toro. Pay a little extra and get a good one. ZTR, welded steel deck and most important, a Kawasaki engine. I've had mine 11 years. I've replaced one belt and two spindles (pulleys) in 11 years. What has been done to the Kawasaki engine? >>>> nothing.

Threads
This is Rumour Control... These are the facts... :cool:
Yup, for starters, there are so many accurate posts on this thread that I wouldn't know where to start to accurately quote them..
For me, my first experience with a John Deere, was buying one (D-160), from a Big Box Store, when a Landscaping Company was, literally, thrown in my lap. ( Another story for another day).
Having a rip roaring case of O.C.D., I actually read the manual from front to back. Wow!! The manual states that the warrantee, is 2 years, or 120 hours, whichever comes first. Are you 'effin kidding me? If you used it all day, five days a week, that equates to a three week Warrantee!! WTF??
It got more interesting when it came to the Hydro-static trans.. " The drive is sealed, and as such, requires no maintenance.". The drive is a "Tough - Torque" K46.. Now, there's a point to note.. The trans was built to the specs provided by John Deere, who probably saved about a buck, by specifying that there was to be no drain hole in the case. So, at 50 hours, I removed the trans from the tractor, popped off the vent plug, and upended it over a bucket for the night. I then refilled it with Amsoil premium synthetic. The improvement in performance was noticeable. In spite of my O.C.D. scheduled maintenance, it still ate parts on a regular basis. Spindles, despite regular lubrication, self destructed. Etc, Etc.
I got asked why I'd bought that "POS".. My only defence was that I'd relied on the John Deere reputation.. Just because it's green, doesn't mean it's a John Deere.. It's just another cheap POS, sold by your neighbourhood box store.
They're like chainsaws.. when you are at the lowest price point, you get the lowest quality / build that there is. They ( the manufacturers) , just use the name to sell crap products.

keninnsw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Folks, I'm looking to purchase a good reliable small lawn tractor (not JD!) for approx. 13K sq of lawn. I'm hoping to avoid Briggs&Stratton engines, specifically the 18HP
used in the JD E110 as there is some chatter that problems exist with these motors. Some Craftsman and Husqvarna models have Kohler engines, which might be a bit more
reliable. I'd be grateful for any/all advice.
And to explain the JD boycott, I purchased an E110 in 2020 and after 4 seasons, 160 hours of use and timely maintenance the engine failed. Fool me once...
Thank you in advance.
BuddyD
Ive been mowing and landscaping 1.5 acres since 2016 with a 42 inch Husqvarna and a Kohler 18hp engine. Ive replaced 2 belts 2 spindles 1 starter motor and one fuel pump. Regularly serviced it myself and check oil before every start. Still doesnt use or burn oil. Happy with this model.

jcworks

Threads
Ive been mowing and landscaping 1.5 acres since 2016 with a 42 inch Husqvarna and a Kohler 18hp engine. Ive replaced 2 belts 2 spindles 1 starter motor and one fuel pump. Regularly serviced it myself and check oil before every start. Still doesnt use or burn oil. Happy with this model.
I ran a Kohler for about 11 years on a JD tractor. I don't recall the hp (maybe 17?), the engine was the best part, no issues at all. The Toro ZTR I now have had for 11 yrs has a Kawasaki. Also, a good engine. No issues in 11 yrs.

keninnsw

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is Rumour Control... These are the facts... :cool:
Yup, for starters, there are so many accurate posts on this thread that I wouldn't know where to start to accurately quote them..
For me, my first experience with a John Deere, was buying one (D-160), from a Big Box Store, when a Landscaping Company was, literally, thrown in my lap. ( Another story for another day).
Having a rip roaring case of O.C.D., I actually read the manual from front to back. Wow!! The manual states that the warrantee, is 2 years, or 120 hours, whichever comes first. Are you 'effin kidding me? If you used it all day, five days a week, that equates to a three week Warrantee!! WTF??
It got more interesting when it came to the Hydro-static trans.. " The drive is sealed, and as such, requires no maintenance.". The drive is a "Tough - Torque" K46.. Now, there's a point to note.. The trans was built to the specs provided by John Deere, who probably saved about a buck, by specifying that there was to be no drain hole in the case. So, at 50 hours, I removed the trans from the tractor, popped off the vent plug, and upended it over a bucket for the night. I then refilled it with Amsoil premium synthetic. The improvement in performance was noticeable. In spite of my O.C.D. scheduled maintenance, it still ate parts on a regular basis. Spindles, despite regular lubrication, self destructed. Etc, Etc.
I got asked why I'd bought that "POS".. My only defence was that I'd relied on the John Deere reputation.. Just because it's green, doesn't mean it's a John Deere.. It's just another cheap POS, sold by your neighbourhood box store.
They're like chainsaws.. when you are at the lowest price point, you get the lowest quality / build that there is. They ( the manufacturers) , just use the name to sell crap products.
Maybe its time we levied the Chinese suppliers for the cost of landfill so they'd produce better quality

gasjr4wd

Threads
Take a good look at a zero turn. Once you cut with one you'll never go back to the old yard slug. (I run a Hustler w/Kohler)

BubbaSam

Threads
Hi Folks, I'm looking to purchase a good reliable small lawn tractor (not JD!) for approx. 13K sq of lawn. I'm hoping to avoid Briggs&Stratton engines, specifically the 18HP
used in the JD E110 as there is some chatter that problems exist with these motors. Some Craftsman and Husqvarna models have Kohler engines, which might be a bit more
And to explain the JD boycott, I purchased an E110 in 2020 and after 4 seasons, 160 hours of use and timely maintenance the engine failed. Fool me once...
Thank you in advance.
BuddyD
Hello BuddyD,
Well, I would say that EVERYONE has their preference. In my eyes I would recommend either a Honda or a Husqvarna WITH a Kawasaki V2. My Husky (1848XP) is 15+ years old and with little maintenance still starts every time. I've used it mowing 2+ acres over those years. And, of course, Honda is expensive but you get what you pay for. So I guess your budget will help you make the choice. Good luck!

Last edited:

V-Tran

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have thrown rods in a Kohler and a Briggs, so we live and learn.
You might take your 4-year-old JD rider to a reliable shop and have them put in another engine of your choosing, new or used if you can get one.
Other than that, I like Snapper and Simplicity products maybe with a Kaw engine, new or used. That's another direction that I would explore. No big box stuff for me. Good mowers aren't cheap and cheap mowers aren't good.

Bampy6

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you in advance.
BuddyD
Hi Buddy,
I would stay away from the big box stores, I would go to a place that landscapers buy from and buy a quality product, buy once cry once
Tim

MartinR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you in advance.
BuddyD
Do your self a favour and look at zero turns with a Kawasaki or Vanguard ( Briggs and Stratton Commercial) engine. I would recommend a Ferris but there are plenty of others (nearly) as good out there either sit on, stander or walk behind which will give you a better cut in a fraction of the time and are fun to operate. Grease weekly, regular oil changes, sharpen and balance the blades on a regular basis and the machine will do you well.