Looking for advice re: purchasing a reliable lawn tractor

Gord Baker

Threads
  • / Looking for advice re: purchasing a reliable lawn tractor
Head gasket was never a problem with my machine. The oil level was checked every time and I NEVER saw oil leakage or low oil level.
To your point, my lack of small engine knowledge may have bit me in the ass this time. Turning the flywheel (?) at the end of the first year became very difficult. My assumption was, battery or perhaps starter (replaced both). Turns out, JD junk. And the dealership shrugged their shoulders. F em
Did you check the Valve Lash? Often a problem.

GerryB

Threads
Interesting discussion, I can relate to both the thought that a tractor is a luxury and justifiable due to age. When young and if totally honest, more ambitious, I push mowed a full acre. That seemed a better way to stay fit than to pay for a gym membership like many friends were. My luxury came in the form of a self propelled walk behind.

Then I found a good deal on a used Cub Cadet that I loved, it had only 12 HP from a Kohler K series. Then later I bought two John Deere 318's and a 430. With all these I quickly came to understand the major differences between "lawn tractors" and "garden tractors". For the price new, I doubt any manufacturer of garden tractors will risk the long term reputation and use a less than worthy engine. This is not true of the lawn tractors sold in the $2000 range new.

This is true of many other components, from drive train through steering and deck. I can't lift the JD 60" mower deck and suspect it alone may weight nearly as much as some lawn tractors. The lower cost comes with lower service life.

That's why, although I purchased the 318's new (another story), I now buy used garden tractors. There are many folk who simply schedule to buy a new mower every couple years, most of these owners have them dealer maintained and don't blink at the cost. These trades, even though seemingly expensive, can be a bargain with expected lives measured in decades. My 318's were produced in 1985 and remain fantastic mowers with added utility today. If these engines crap, I have already purchased a 26 HP Honda and 24 HP Kohler for repowering.

I've also seen both auctions and Craigslist bargains. It may take some shopping time but when retiring, farmers liquidation auctions often include potential bargains, also when we of the aging class downsize or leave a widow who eagerly sells their garden tractor.

Ortis

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 2 cents would be to hire someone to mow. For the price of a decent machine, you can have a fair amount of mowing done.

V-Tran

Forum Newbie
Threads
The green paint is not the reason the tractor failed (LOL!) but I agree with you on those Briggs engines. Replacing the engine is not an option because it would just about exceed the cost of the tractor. You could buy a Craftsman or a Husqvarna with a Kohler engine for around $3000. Because you only have about 1/3 acre to mow, may I recommend you consider buying a good quality used commercial 36" or 48" walk behind mower such as Scag or Bobcat? There are plenty on the Marketplace for sale. They come with Kawasaki engines and are very easy to work on. For residential use, it will last forever.

barny57

Threads
Hi Folks, I'm looking to purchase a good reliable small lawn tractor (not JD!) for approx. 13K sq of lawn. I'm hoping to avoid Briggs&Stratton engines, specifically the 18HP
used in the JD E110 as there is some chatter that problems exist with these motors. Some Craftsman and Husqvarna models have Kohler engines, which might be a bit more
reliable. I'd be grateful for any/all advice.
And to explain the JD boycott, I purchased an E110 in 2020 and after 4 seasons, 160 hours of use and timely maintenance the engine failed. Fool me once...
Thank you in advance.
BuddyD
As far as John Deere goes you’re buying the Home Depot specials get an actual John Deere tractor

rak56

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please be aware that I am talking brand new, low end, residential, big box store riding mowers.

Obviously, a John Deere X series riding mower does not fit this because it is more like $5000 plus new. John Deere has done an amazing job of marketing and branding their name. Quality wise, parts and shop labor rates, and ease of working on them, not so amazing. In other words, John Deere costs more to buy, maintain, don’t hold up any better, and are a pain in the butt to work on often. Obviously, I am not a fan of John Deere. This is coming from hands on experience. Up to 25% of the riding mowers I service are John Deere in my area, so despite not always liking servicing them, it becomes necessary. Our local John Deere dealer is almost $200/ hour on labor. Please tell me how that cost premium is even remotely justified versus the other shops.
My John Deere GT235 is going on 24 years old and still runs great. It has the 18hp Briggs Vanguard v-twin and has just under 1500 hours. I mowed 2 acres with a 54” deck and use the 42” snowblower on a long driveway. The tractor gets used year-round. I use Royal Purple full synthetic oil. I’ve had the valve covers off several times and after wiping the oil off, they look brand new with zero sludge. I’ve never had a belt break, only changed them when they showed cracking. I purchased a Spartan zero turn 3 years ago for mowing but still use the JD in the winter and to pull the yard cart in the summer. My only regret with the JD was not getting the next model up that had power steering and hydraulic lift.
Bottom line, quality usually comes with a price. You get what you pay for. As another poster mentioned, there are used JD’s available that are much better than what you would buy at a big box store.

rednucleus

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just read through this topic - have you considered a robot mower rather than a rider. ? I have asimilar sized lot and have used the Stihl IMow for the past 4 seasons. Keeps thelawn looking good and i just need to do perimeter maintnenance with a string trimmer & hand mower monthly. There are several good options on the market.

montesa_vr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I swore off Briggs once, but I got a really good deal on a Craftsman mower just as Sears was failing. It has the 19 hp Platinum single, and (with the exception of the Suzuki 2-stroke motor in my first Toro push mower) it has been the best and most trouble free small engine I've ever owned. That little mower was my only implement for my 14 acres for several years, and I'm sure I put more hours on it each year than its total design life. in every way -- zero oil consumption, strong power, smooth running, easy starting, and low maintenance -- it has been great.

Of course, just because mine is a jewel doesn't mean they're all that way. You might have to move up to a Yammer or Kubota if you want to take all the risk out of the engine choice.

d2wing

Threads
They don't make them like they used to. My son bought a MTD from a hardware store in the late 80's and mowed a few cemeteries every week. It lasted several years of hard use and he sold it still mowing great when he left for college. I had a new Weedeater later made by Poulan that had terrible steering problems. Then I bought a new house that had a large lawn very steep side hills. I bought a used '03 Simplicity Prestige because it has traction control. I also need the power steering and deck because of severe injuries. After a few years I did have to have the head gaskets replaced but other than that it has been a great mower. I expect to run it the rest of my life. I briefly owned a 4x4 Prestige but it didn't turn sharp enough so I kept the old one and sold the 4x4. I have had a couple electric push mowers. I like them but if they fail like one did there is no fix. Basic throw away. Another has battery issues, it still works, I have a spare battery, but they are no longer made and can't find a replacement so that's a throwaway eventually as well. I do have an electric start Toro self propelled push mower that is great.

jcworks

Threads
Hi Folks, I'm looking to purchase a good reliable small lawn tractor (not JD!) for approx. 13K sq of lawn. I'm hoping to avoid Briggs&Stratton engines, specifically the 18HP
used in the JD E110 as there is some chatter that problems exist with these motors. Some Craftsman and Husqvarna models have Kohler engines, which might be a bit more
reliable. I'd be grateful for any/all advice.
And to explain the JD boycott, I purchased an E110 in 2020 and after 4 seasons, 160 hours of use and timely maintenance the engine failed. Fool me once...
Thank you in advance.
BuddyD
Well, I don't know what you're wanting to spend but 13k sq ft is not a big lawn to mow... thats 114 ft x 114 ft. My prior experience with JD was the stamped deck not holding up. Probably the same though for most stamped decks. But the Kohler engine in it was good. I don't recall ever having to do anything to the engine. Since then though I bought a Toro 50 inch cut ZTR 11 years ago. Super mower. Kawasaki engine. But it is pricey -- over $4k. Whatever brand you but if it was me I'd be looking for : First --- one with a Kawasaki engine. They are the best. 2nd: a Kohler engine.