Looking for advice re: purchasing a reliable lawn tractor

buddyd

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Looking for advice re: purchasing a reliable lawn tractor
Hi Folks, I'm looking to purchase a good reliable small lawn tractor (not JD!) for approx. 13K sq of lawn. I'm hoping to avoid Briggs&Stratton engines, specifically the 18HP
used in the JD E110 as there is some chatter that problems exist with these motors. Some Craftsman and Husqvarna models have Kohler engines, which might be a bit more
reliable. I'd be grateful for any/all advice.
And to explain the JD boycott, I purchased an E110 in 2020 and after 4 seasons, 160 hours of use and timely maintenance the engine failed. Fool me once...
Thank you in advance.
BuddyD

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Hi Folks, I'm looking to purchase a good reliable small lawn tractor (not JD!) for approx. 13K sq of lawn. I'm hoping to avoid Briggs&Stratton engines, specifically the 18HP
used in the JD E110 as there is some chatter that problems exist with these motors. Some Craftsman and Husqvarna models have Kohler engines, which might be a bit more
reliable. I'd be grateful for any/all advice.
And to explain the JD boycott, I purchased an E110 in 2020 and after 4 seasons, 160 hours of use and timely maintenance the engine failed. Fool me once...
Thank you in advance.
BuddyD

So you have a little over 1/4 of an acre and are talking about using a riding mower with a steering wheel to mow it. Realize that you will be doing a lot of turning and mowing the same basic pattern week after week with a riding mower on such a small lawn.

I am no fan of John Deere, however, boycotting all John Deere products because of one engine failure at 160 hours seems a bit out of whack. Why did the engine fail? Overheat? Lack of lubrication? Mechanical catastrophic failure?

buddyd

Forum Newbie
Threads
That 13K sq ft is a bit much to mow with a push mower, even self-propelled. It is sloped from front to back and at my advanced age...
A lawn tractor is a nice luxury for me.I change up the mowing patterns so no ruts, etc. The failure on the JD was a failed connector rod which is probably more related to the eng. manuf. B&S, thus my search is excluding those motors if possible.
I've done my research, mine is not an isolated incident with JD machines. Additionally, I have had a Craftsmen snow thrower for 25+ years and never a problem. The Craftsman moves frozen water, the lawn tractor small blades of grass. Though hours per year are significantly less with the snow thrower, it's appalling to spend $1800 on a lawn mower and get 4 seasons of use out of it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
According to JD Parts the E110 came with the Briggs 33R series engine. These are known for two problems. One is camshaft ACR failures. And the other is for blowing the head gasket. It is the blowing of the head gasket and the user not keeping the crankcase oil fill at all times that leads to the piston rod breaking and going the side of the crankcase. If the operator/owner had just pay attention to the warning signs this would never advance to the point of complete engine failure..

As I said it is a known problem that is easily diagnosed and repaired if only the operator/owner heeded the warning signs of excessive oil usage.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Both of the failures are due to a poorly designed engine. Nothing to support the end of the compression relief and too much space between the spacing of the head bolts in the valve train area. Though I see more cam failures than head gaskets. Still a bad design. Can't say too much for the Kohler Command engines they use to blow head gaskets as well. Not due to the fault of a poorly designed engine it was a poorly designed head gasket. First time I ever saw one on the Kohler I said it needs a fire ring on the gasket to fix the problem. Guess what they finally did it after about 20 years after I first saw it. They finally put a fire ring on the gasket. Walah the problem fixed. Probibaly the best engine on the market.

MowerNick

Threads
Almost all single cylinders have issues do to them mostly being made in china. I see less issues with both briggs and kohler twins but i usually recommend a kawasaki.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And it not only Briggs and Kohlers that blows head gaskets. Neither of those I seen in the last two years but I have seen several Kawasaki v-twins with blown head gaskets.

Matter of fact I got a FX751 in the shop right now with #2 head gasket blown. If count last year this make the 10th gasket to be replaced. Only one Briggs and no Kohler in the same amount of time.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't see blown head gaskets on the Kawasakis or Kohler singles. Kawasaki has a valve train problem. Only see it on the older Kohler twins now.

Last edited:

buddyd

Forum Newbie
Threads
According to JD Parts the E110 came with the Briggs 33R series engine. These are known for two problems. One is camshaft ACR failures. And the other is for blowing the head gasket. It is the blowing of the head gasket and the user not keeping the crankcase oil fill at all times that leads to the piston rod breaking and going the side of the crankcase. If the operator/owner had just pay attention to the warning signs this would never advance to the point of complete engine failure..

As I said it is a known problem that is easily diagnosed and repaired if only the operator/owner heeded the warning signs of excessive oil usage.
Head gasket was never a problem with my machine. The oil level was checked every time and I NEVER saw oil leakage or low oil level.
To your point, my lack of small engine knowledge may have bit me in the ass this time. Turning the flywheel (?) at the end of the first year became very difficult. My assumption was, battery or perhaps starter (replaced both). Turns out, JD junk. And the dealership shrugged their shoulders. F em

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kohler Command is the best single engine on the market. Too bad they quit making them. They just don't tear up. Biggest problem is carb issues and most of that is due to sitting with fuel in them too long gumming up the carb.