Engine Kohler Courage PRO?? any good?

porkchop

Threads
Porkchop I think you made a wise decision. The engine with the proper care will give you hrs of great service. I did read on the Kohler site though to run non syn oil for 50 hrs or more to let the rings seat good before running syn oil. Just go to Kohlers web site and read the Maintenance suggestions. I'm going with straight Pennzoil 10-30 in mine for now.

I am going to treat the mower like my snapper when it was new. Just use what the recommended oil is in the manual and do what they want until the warrenty runs out. On my snapper I used kohler oil and kohler oil filters until the warranty ran out. After the Warranty I used kohler oil but oil filters from advance auto. I can get about three for the price of one kohler filter. Engine runs like a champ to this day!! I like kohler oil it's fine and I change it way before it gets black. I change it to early probably. Wish my Snapper had an hour meter. Pennzoil is great stuff:thumbsup:. I run Pennzoil platinum in my truck!! Take care TnHusky!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am going to treat the mower like my snapper when it was new. Just use what the recommended oil is in the manual and do what they want until the warrenty runs out. On my snapper I used kohler oil and kohler oil filters until the warranty ran out. After the Warranty I used kohler oil but oil filters from advance auto. I can get about three for the price of one kohler filter. Engine runs like a champ to this day!! I like kohler oil it's fine and I change it way before it gets black. I change it to early probably. Wish my Snapper had an hour meter. Pennzoil is great stuff:thumbsup:. I run Pennzoil platinum in my truck!! Take care TnHusky!

porkchop,
Yeah, user TNHusky is probably right that I may be dogging the Kohler Courage (1)without any first-hand knowledge/experience, (2)basing my opinion on a "few" users having serious problems versus many, many more not having problems(most forums attract those owners with problems more so than those owners without) and (3)the fact that despite the "evidence/rumors" many mower manufacturers continue to use those engines in their equipment(and they probably know more about the design problems than any of us). I'll try to lighten up/be more tactful in my comments about whether the Kohler(Courage) engines are/are not any good.
TNHusky,
There........that's about as close to an apology as you can get:0)

Brucebotti

Threads
porkchop,
Yeah, user TNHusky is probably right that I may be dogging the Kohler Courage (1)without any first-hand knowledge/experience, (2)basing my opinion on a "few" users having serious problems versus many, many more not having problems(most forums attract those owners with problems more so than those owners without) and (3)the fact that despite the "evidence/rumors" many mower manufacturers continue to use those engines in their equipment(and they probably know more about the design problems than any of us). I'll try to lighten up/be more tactful in my comments about whether the Kohler(Courage) engines are/are not any good.
TNHusky,

DJ,
I don't know about others, but I value your opinions and the information that you provide. I find most of your info factual, and you usually indicate it when you are not sure. You present it in a professional and courteous manner. You may be a little biased towards Gravely, but then again, you should be. Keep up the good work.
Thanks,
Bruce

SCMCG

Threads
DJ,
I don't know about others, but I value your opinions and the information that you provide. I find most of your info factual, and you usually indicate it when you are not sure. You present it in a professional and courteous manner. You may be a little biased towards Gravely, but then again, you should be. Keep up the good work.
Thanks,
Bruce
I agree. Few and far between are people who genuinely take the time to research, and try and help others on these types of boards. Truely an asset to this forum!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree. Few and far between are people who genuinely take the time to research, and try and help others on these types of boards. Truely an asset to this forum!

Brucebotti/SCMCG,
Thanks for the compliment and vote of confidence!! I am by no stretch of imagination an expert since last August was the first time I ever looked at a ZTR much less shopped to purchase one. I, by no means, think that the Gravely ZTR's are the absolute best you can get but that they are one of the elite top notch outdoor power equipment manufacturers that offer high quality products for your money. They are not cheap, but what high quality product is(very few "inexpensive deals" nowadays)? This forum was sooooooo helpful in that users like lawn mower fanatic, Ric and many others were very patient with all my "stupid questions" and provided advice that proved to be honest and spot on. I learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. The only trait I have to offer others here is my heavy analytical skills(after 43 years in Mainframe computer application development & support one would think I had to acquire that skillset:0) Unfortunately, even that can be a deterrent sometimes when I perform an analysis; then an analysis of my analysis......and end up in a state of "analysis paralysis" where making a decision and taking an action becomes even more difficult. Mainly, though, I am a devout Christian and believe in the concept of "serving others" as being the highest calling that there is. I am compelled, whenever I can, to help others with any knowledge and experience that I sincerely believe will help them in any way. I participate in several "forums"(if you ever need some advice about DirecTV HD equipment/services I can prove helpful in that area, as I am a HDTV "nut":0) and volunteering my time on forums is a preparation for my upcoming retirement where I see my additional "spare time", no longer being a working stiff, as an opportunity to continue to make a contribution to society. Again, thanks for saying such nice things about me and I'll try to not let it go to my head(ego:0)

Brucebotti

Threads
Brucebotti/SCMCG,
Thanks for the compliment and vote of confidence!! I am by no stretch of imagination an expert since last August was the first time I ever looked at a ZTR much less shopped to purchase one. I, by no means, think that the Gravely ZTR's are the absolute best you can get but that they are one of the elite top notch outdoor power equipment manufacturers that offer high quality products for your money. They are not cheap, but what high quality product is(very few "inexpensive deals" nowadays)? This forum was sooooooo helpful in that users like lawn mower fanatic, Ric and many others were very patient with all my "stupid questions" and provided advice that proved to be honest and spot on. I learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. The only trait I have to offer others here is my heavy analytical skills(after 43 years in Mainframe computer application development & support one would think I had to acquire that skillset:0) Unfortunately, even that can be a deterrent sometimes when I perform an analysis; then an analysis of my analysis......and end up in a state of "analysis paralysis" where making a decision and taking an action becomes even more difficult. Mainly, though, I am a devout Christian and believe in the concept of "serving others" as being the highest calling that there is. I am compelled, whenever I can, to help others with any knowledge and experience that I sincerely believe will help them in any way. I participate in several "forums"(if you ever need some advice about DirecTV HD equipment/services I can prove helpful in that area, as I am a HDTV "nut":0) and volunteering my time on forums is a preparation for my upcoming retirement where I see my additional "spare time", no longer being a working stiff, as an opportunity to continue to make a contribution to society. Again, thanks for saying such nice things about me and I'll try to not let it go to my head(ego:0)

You just said / proved what SCMCG and I said.....it just took you a lot more words...:laughing:

It's folks like you that keep me coming back and restore my faith!
Bruce

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
You just said / proved what SCMCG and I said.....it just took you a lot more words...:laughing:

It's folks like you that keep me coming back and restore my faith!
Bruce

Brucebotti,
Yeah, anybody who has ever "conversed" with me knows why my motto is "why say it in 10 words when you can say it in 100 words":0)

RatRacer

Threads
Brucebotti,
Yeah, anybody who has ever "conversed" with me knows why my motto is "why say it in 10 words when you can say it in 100 words":0)

Pitchers, man, pitchers.....8^)

620x500-1000words.jpg

or, subterfuge

images

TnHusky

Threads
porkchop,
TNHusky,

Hey dj, no apology needed man. It's all good. Heck a lot of engines have had problems over the years and your correct about the Single Cylinders having some issues and that's the biggest reason I went with a Twin Cylinder. But time will tell even on it but for now I'm very pleased.
My best friend's family own a lawn & Garden shop and he told me problems with the Kaw, I said no way and he said it was the Cam gear's was plastic but that's fixed now so we all have issue's at one time or another.

porkchop

Threads
porkchop,
TNHusky,

Djdicetn , I came here for honest opinions!!! Don't hold back my friend, I want to hear what you have to say! For all I know people maybe right and I'll have egg on my face a few months down the road. I got the money now to buy the mower this week. Ill send some pics and let you know how the engine runs. Then we will all know for sure. I hope it is as good to me as my kohler command which I think is a CV-15s model??? Anyway great engine. Runs like the day I bought it. I can't wait, my first zero turn. The higher blade tip speed should really make a difference in the cut quality. Take care all and thanks for all the support! You guys are fantastic!