Export thread

Kohler Courage PRO?? any good?

P

porkchop

Hello all. I am thinking of purchasing a Husqvarna MZ 5225 mower. The mower comes with a Kohler Courage pro v-twin 25hp engine. does anyone know if this is a good engine. I typed in kohler courage and searched for it and got a lot of negative reviews on the internet. My Kohler command on my snapper has been perfect. This is why I am so surprised. I am just looking for a zero turn NEW around 4500.00 or less with a serviceable transmission and a good engine. So far in my price range I find either a good engine with a non serviceable transmission or the other way around. sorry if transmission is the wrong term... maybe transaxle?? thanks for your time in advance! take care.

RatRacer

RatRacer

Yeah, the Commanders were good. Mine still runs well after 9yrs.
From my shopping excursions, take a look at the Big Dogs A346 and R748.You get Kawi's and zt-3100. After harsh negotiations with my dealer yesterday, I'm in a '12 R745 for a benji over your budget.

P

porkchop

Yeah, the Commanders were good. Mine still runs well after 9yrs.
From my shopping excursions, take a look at the Big Dogs A346 and R748.You get Kawi's and zt-3100. After harsh negotiations with my dealer yesterday, I'm in a '12 R745 for a benji over your budget.

Wow nice mower congrats. I have heard big dog mowers are nice but the dealers are to far away from me. :( Thanks for the reply though. I have pretty much every other mower company around me beside exmark. I like the Hustler sport its just it uses ezt's instead of zt-2800 or zt-3100's.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Hello all. I am thinking of purchasing a Husqvarna MZ 5225 mower. The mower comes with a Kohler Courage pro v-twin 25hp engine. does anyone know if this is a good engine. I typed in kohler courage and searched for it and got a lot of negative reviews on the internet. My Kohler command on my snapper has been perfect. This is why I am so surprised. I am just looking for a zero turn NEW around 4500.00 or less with a serviceable transmission and a good engine. So far in my price range I find either a good engine with a non serviceable transmission or the other way around. sorry if transmission is the wrong term... maybe transaxle?? thanks for your time in advance! take care.

porkchop,
I'd stay away from the Kohler Courage...from waht I've read NOT the same quality as the Kohler Command series!! On the Husqvarna ZTR's I would recommend the M-ZT 52(but it's $5,499:0(
If you have a Dixon dealer, Husqvarna owns them now and they are competetively priced. Another one(more in your budget) is the Toro Titan ZX. The Gravely ZT HD, if you have a dealer nearby are worth looking at and then using for comparing the others(but at $5099 would be a better machine than the $5499 Husqvarna). If you could spring another $600 I think you would like the Gravely(of course I'm a little biased since I bought a Gravely last September:0)

TnHusky

TnHusky

porkchop,
I'd stay away from the Kohler Courage...from waht I've read NOT the same quality as the Kohler Command series!! On the Husqvarna ZTR's I would recommend the M-ZT 52(but it's $5,499:0(
If you have a Dixon dealer, Husqvarna owns them now and they are competetively priced. Another one(more in your budget) is the Toro Titan ZX. The Gravely ZT HD, if you have a dealer nearby are worth looking at and then using for comparing the others(but at $5099 would be a better machine than the $5499 Husqvarna). If you could spring another $600 I think you would like the Gravely(of course I'm a little biased since I bought a Gravely last September:0)

dj, that ain't to nice. :laughing: Look, if all the Courage engines were bad we would see ton's of peploe on here fussing all the time. Most of the problems I've seen is or was with the single cylinder engines and they suppose to have that fixed now. I've seen more problems with the Briggs Inteks than I have out of the Kohler Twins. You can even attest to that dj. So is the courage engine ok, I think so. Are they as good as a Kaw probably not but there are alot of mowers out there with the Courage engines on them.

djdicetn

djdicetn

dj, that ain't to nice. :laughing: Look, if all the Courage engines were bad we would see ton's of peploe on here fussing all the time. Most of the problems I've seen is or was with the single cylinder engines and they suppose to have that fixed now. I've seen more problems with the Briggs Inteks than I have out of the Kohler Twins. You can even attest to that dj. So is the courage engine ok, I think so. Are they as good as a Kaw probably not but there are alot of mowers out there with the Courage engines on them.

TnHusky,
All I can say is I have read a WHOLE BUNCH of user reviews on this and the Tractobynet sister forum that mentioned a sundry of design flaws with the Courgage line. The posts never eluded to single or twin cylinder and I am only going on what I have read. I have never owned a Kohler engine(I had two Briggs & Strattons...a 16hp twin cylinder Vanguard which after 19 years ran like a new one and a 24hp Intek that was junk). Like anything, you can get a good one or you can get a bad one(my Commercial Kawasaki may go south on me, you never know). But the number of complaints were overwhelming for the Courage and I cannot recommend it with because of that. I am truly glad you got a good one, but I see it as a potential luck of the draw. Sorry:0(

Ric

Ric

Are the Kohler Courage engines any good, I'd say you wouldn't go wrong with a Kohler Courage. I've run the Courage engines for years and never had a problem with any that I've run. I ran the single 20hp in my Cub Cadet Lt 1045 had just over 400 hrs and never a problem, I've ran the 20hp V twin for almost 500hrs and the 22hp and still running it's and it knocking the door on 700 hrs The Kohler Courage is a great Engine just change the oil and oil filter every 50 hrs and clean the air filter every 25hrs and it will give you years of service and DON'T run synthetic oil in it or you will have problems, Kohlers don't like synthetic oils of any kind. Something I mite add I ran and run those Kohlers six days a week in my business without a problem.

djdicetn

djdicetn

porkchop,
I know you are trying to stay in budget, but have you looked at the Husqvarna M-ZT 52? It's about $800 more than the MZ 5225, but the ZT-3400 trannies, cast iron spindles, 12" rear tire upgrade and the Briggs Commercial Endurance would be well worth the extra $$(it is a full-fledged entry level Commercial ZTR). See link below if interested:

Husqvarna M-ZT 52 - Zero turn mowers

P

porkchop

Ric, TnHusky, djdicetn, Thanks for all your input!!! I have decided to go with the mz5225 using the Kohler Courage pro 25hp engine. I asked the salesman who I have dealt with for years and sold me my Snapper back in 06 if he knew about the Courage line and if they had problems. He told me exactly what I had read on the internet but said Kohler fixed the issues with the engines. I think he is right for several reasons. One so many different mower companies would not be putting these engines on their machines if they were that bad. Also I have dealt with this dealer for years and they have always told me the truth and have been honest with me. My family has spent a lot of money with this dealer and I don't think they want to lose us as a customer. DJdicetn thank you for the recommendation on the MZ-T 52 but I cant afford it. You guys have been very kind and I appreciate your feedback! I should have the mower by the end of this month. Stay tuned as they say in the TV industry! When I get the mower ill give you guys an update on the mower and the engine. Take care all!

TnHusky

TnHusky

Ric, TnHusky, djdicetn, Thanks for all your input!!! I have decided to go with the mz5225 using the Kohler Courage pro 25hp engine. I asked the salesman who I have dealt with for years and sold me my Snapper back in 06 if he knew about the Courage line and if they had problems. He told me exactly what I had read on the internet but said Kohler fixed the issues with the engines. I think he is right for several reasons. One so many different mower companies would not be putting these engines on their machines if they were that bad. Also I have dealt with this dealer for years and they have always told me the truth and have been honest with me. My family has spent a lot of money with this dealer and I don't think they want to lose us as a customer. DJdicetn thank you for the recommendation on the MZ-T 52 but I cant afford it. You guys have been very kind and I appreciate your feedback! I should have the mower by the end of this month. Stay tuned as they say in the TV industry! When I get the mower ill give you guys an update on the mower and the engine. Take care all!

Porkchop I think you made a wise decision. The engine with the proper care will give you hrs of great service. I did read on the Kohler site though to run non syn oil for 50 hrs or more to let the rings seat good before running syn oil. Just go to Kohlers web site and read the Maintenance suggestions. I'm going with straight Pennzoil 10-30 in mine for now.

P

porkchop

Porkchop I think you made a wise decision. The engine with the proper care will give you hrs of great service. I did read on the Kohler site though to run non syn oil for 50 hrs or more to let the rings seat good before running syn oil. Just go to Kohlers web site and read the Maintenance suggestions. I'm going with straight Pennzoil 10-30 in mine for now.

I am going to treat the mower like my snapper when it was new. Just use what the recommended oil is in the manual and do what they want until the warrenty runs out. On my snapper I used kohler oil and kohler oil filters until the warranty ran out. After the Warranty I used kohler oil but oil filters from advance auto. I can get about three for the price of one kohler filter. Engine runs like a champ to this day!! I like kohler oil it's fine and I change it way before it gets black. I change it to early probably. Wish my Snapper had an hour meter. Pennzoil is great stuff:thumbsup:. I run Pennzoil platinum in my truck!! Take care TnHusky!

djdicetn

djdicetn

I am going to treat the mower like my snapper when it was new. Just use what the recommended oil is in the manual and do what they want until the warrenty runs out. On my snapper I used kohler oil and kohler oil filters until the warranty ran out. After the Warranty I used kohler oil but oil filters from advance auto. I can get about three for the price of one kohler filter. Engine runs like a champ to this day!! I like kohler oil it's fine and I change it way before it gets black. I change it to early probably. Wish my Snapper had an hour meter. Pennzoil is great stuff:thumbsup:. I run Pennzoil platinum in my truck!! Take care TnHusky!

porkchop,
Yeah, user TNHusky is probably right that I may be dogging the Kohler Courage (1)without any first-hand knowledge/experience, (2)basing my opinion on a "few" users having serious problems versus many, many more not having problems(most forums attract those owners with problems more so than those owners without) and (3)the fact that despite the "evidence/rumors" many mower manufacturers continue to use those engines in their equipment(and they probably know more about the design problems than any of us). I'll try to lighten up/be more tactful in my comments about whether the Kohler(Courage) engines are/are not any good.
TNHusky,
There........that's about as close to an apology as you can get:0)

B

Brucebotti

porkchop,
Yeah, user TNHusky is probably right that I may be dogging the Kohler Courage (1)without any first-hand knowledge/experience, (2)basing my opinion on a "few" users having serious problems versus many, many more not having problems(most forums attract those owners with problems more so than those owners without) and (3)the fact that despite the "evidence/rumors" many mower manufacturers continue to use those engines in their equipment(and they probably know more about the design problems than any of us). I'll try to lighten up/be more tactful in my comments about whether the Kohler(Courage) engines are/are not any good.
TNHusky,

DJ,
I don't know about others, but I value your opinions and the information that you provide. I find most of your info factual, and you usually indicate it when you are not sure. You present it in a professional and courteous manner. You may be a little biased towards Gravely, but then again, you should be. Keep up the good work.
Thanks,
Bruce

S

SCMCG

DJ,
I don't know about others, but I value your opinions and the information that you provide. I find most of your info factual, and you usually indicate it when you are not sure. You present it in a professional and courteous manner. You may be a little biased towards Gravely, but then again, you should be. Keep up the good work.
Thanks,
Bruce
I agree. Few and far between are people who genuinely take the time to research, and try and help others on these types of boards. Truely an asset to this forum!

djdicetn

djdicetn

I agree. Few and far between are people who genuinely take the time to research, and try and help others on these types of boards. Truely an asset to this forum!

Brucebotti/SCMCG,
Thanks for the compliment and vote of confidence!! I am by no stretch of imagination an expert since last August was the first time I ever looked at a ZTR much less shopped to purchase one. I, by no means, think that the Gravely ZTR's are the absolute best you can get but that they are one of the elite top notch outdoor power equipment manufacturers that offer high quality products for your money. They are not cheap, but what high quality product is(very few "inexpensive deals" nowadays)? This forum was sooooooo helpful in that users like lawn mower fanatic, Ric and many others were very patient with all my "stupid questions" and provided advice that proved to be honest and spot on. I learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. The only trait I have to offer others here is my heavy analytical skills(after 43 years in Mainframe computer application development & support one would think I had to acquire that skillset:0) Unfortunately, even that can be a deterrent sometimes when I perform an analysis; then an analysis of my analysis......and end up in a state of "analysis paralysis" where making a decision and taking an action becomes even more difficult. Mainly, though, I am a devout Christian and believe in the concept of "serving others" as being the highest calling that there is. I am compelled, whenever I can, to help others with any knowledge and experience that I sincerely believe will help them in any way. I participate in several "forums"(if you ever need some advice about DirecTV HD equipment/services I can prove helpful in that area, as I am a HDTV "nut":0) and volunteering my time on forums is a preparation for my upcoming retirement where I see my additional "spare time", no longer being a working stiff, as an opportunity to continue to make a contribution to society. Again, thanks for saying such nice things about me and I'll try to not let it go to my head(ego:0)

B

Brucebotti

Brucebotti/SCMCG,
Thanks for the compliment and vote of confidence!! I am by no stretch of imagination an expert since last August was the first time I ever looked at a ZTR much less shopped to purchase one. I, by no means, think that the Gravely ZTR's are the absolute best you can get but that they are one of the elite top notch outdoor power equipment manufacturers that offer high quality products for your money. They are not cheap, but what high quality product is(very few "inexpensive deals" nowadays)? This forum was sooooooo helpful in that users like lawn mower fanatic, Ric and many others were very patient with all my "stupid questions" and provided advice that proved to be honest and spot on. I learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. The only trait I have to offer others here is my heavy analytical skills(after 43 years in Mainframe computer application development & support one would think I had to acquire that skillset:0) Unfortunately, even that can be a deterrent sometimes when I perform an analysis; then an analysis of my analysis......and end up in a state of "analysis paralysis" where making a decision and taking an action becomes even more difficult. Mainly, though, I am a devout Christian and believe in the concept of "serving others" as being the highest calling that there is. I am compelled, whenever I can, to help others with any knowledge and experience that I sincerely believe will help them in any way. I participate in several "forums"(if you ever need some advice about DirecTV HD equipment/services I can prove helpful in that area, as I am a HDTV "nut":0) and volunteering my time on forums is a preparation for my upcoming retirement where I see my additional "spare time", no longer being a working stiff, as an opportunity to continue to make a contribution to society. Again, thanks for saying such nice things about me and I'll try to not let it go to my head(ego:0)

You just said / proved what SCMCG and I said.....it just took you a lot more words...:laughing:

It's folks like you that keep me coming back and restore my faith!
Bruce

djdicetn

djdicetn

You just said / proved what SCMCG and I said.....it just took you a lot more words...:laughing:

It's folks like you that keep me coming back and restore my faith!
Bruce

Brucebotti,
Yeah, anybody who has ever "conversed" with me knows why my motto is "why say it in 10 words when you can say it in 100 words":0)

RatRacer

RatRacer

Brucebotti,
Yeah, anybody who has ever "conversed" with me knows why my motto is "why say it in 10 words when you can say it in 100 words":0)

Pitchers, man, pitchers.....8^)

620x500-1000words.jpg

or, subterfuge

images

TnHusky

TnHusky

porkchop,
TNHusky,

Hey dj, no apology needed man. It's all good. Heck a lot of engines have had problems over the years and your correct about the Single Cylinders having some issues and that's the biggest reason I went with a Twin Cylinder. But time will tell even on it but for now I'm very pleased.
My best friend's family own a lawn & Garden shop and he told me problems with the Kaw, I said no way and he said it was the Cam gear's was plastic but that's fixed now so we all have issue's at one time or another.

P

porkchop

porkchop,
TNHusky,

Djdicetn , I came here for honest opinions!!! Don't hold back my friend, I want to hear what you have to say! For all I know people maybe right and I'll have egg on my face a few months down the road. I got the money now to buy the mower this week. Ill send some pics and let you know how the engine runs. Then we will all know for sure. I hope it is as good to me as my kohler command which I think is a CV-15s model??? Anyway great engine. Runs like the day I bought it. I can't wait, my first zero turn. The higher blade tip speed should really make a difference in the cut quality. Take care all and thanks for all the support! You guys are fantastic!

P

porkchop

Well they delivered my Husqvarna mz5225 last night. What a Machine!! The Kohler courage pro 25hp is a very nice engine. Smooth running and PLENTY of power! Time will tell if it will hold up. I'll keep you posted. Thanks everyone.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Well they delivered my Husqvarna mz5225 last night. What a Machine!! The Kohler courage pro 25hp is a very nice engine. Smooth running and PLENTY of power! Time will tell if it will hold up. I'll keep you posted. Thanks everyone.

porkchop,

Congratulations!!!! Anytime you spend as much time and effort as you did researching before purchasing, your gut feeling is usually right. If you keep the maintenance up I think you will find that Husqvarna to be a good investment. We will look forward to some picks and performance reviews!!

P

porkchop

porkchop,

Congratulations!!!! Anytime you spend as much time and effort as you did researching before purchasing, your gut feeling is usually right. If you keep the maintenance up I think you will find that Husqvarna to be a good investment. We will look forward to some picks and performance reviews!!

Thanks Djdicetn! Yes I keep my mowers up by changing oil early and blowing leaves and grass off after every use. Changing oil is cheap when you think about it, so I do it a little sooner then recommended. I also keep clean and replace the air filters when they need to be. I also store my machines in the shed out of the elements at all times. Last but not least keep the gas fresh as possible.

L

LakeRat1

dj, in my opion You do A great Service to the Ones of us that are thinking of Buy some Piece of Equipment
that we don't know much about, I Like Your way of explaining the Plus & Negative on different things, I really
Like the Way You come across to the people that are needing Help, I read on here a Lot, Don't Post Much, Some time Back You & I Talked about ZTRs, I will buy this Fall I think, it will either be a Ex Mark Or a Gravely, I Like Both, only thing is the
Ex Mark Dealer is 15 Miles away & the Gravely Dealer is 30+ mile away, any way thanks for Your Service

LakeRat1

djdicetn

djdicetn

dj, in my opion You do A great Service to the Ones of us that are thinking of Buy some Piece of Equipment
that we don't know much about, I Like Your way of explaining the Plus & Negative on different things, I really
Like the Way You come across to the people that are needing Help, I read on here a Lot, Don't Post Much, Some time Back You & I Talked about ZTRs, I will buy this Fall I think, it will either be a Ex Mark Or a Gravely, I Like Both, only thing is the
Ex Mark Dealer is 15 Miles away & the Gravely Dealer is 30+ mile away, any way thanks for Your Service

LakeRat1

I appreciate the compliment!! I by no means am an "expert"(first time ZTR owner), but I am compelled to serve others and sincere in my effort to help any way that I can with anything I have learned thus far. And like most forums, the more threads I read the more I can tweak what I thought I knew with better information and combine that with more that I learn from others to refine any advice I may disseminate. Sometimes that is "almost" as good as someone who has 20 years background in something and is too set in their opinions. I kind of relate "experience" like the guy who had a dill pickle one time and after tasting it he swore he would tell everyone who asked to NEVER eat a pickle. Well....there are a lot of different "varieties" of dill pickles and pickles in general so how many people who listen to his advice may not ever take a chance with eating a pickle just to see if they may like it? Again, thanks for recognizing my genuine intent to help out and I hope I have in some way helped you look at your choices more clearly. In all honesty, if you don't buy a Gravely I will not feel any sense of "failure" because I know there are many, many other ZTR's just as good as mine and I am NOT here with the intent to "sell Gravely ZTR's". If I had not visited these forums several months before I purchased my ZTR I would have basically been blindly buying the first ZTR from a dealer with a good salesman. The users here have a wealth of knowledge and volunteer many hours to helping those like you & me get to the point of being "educated buyers". I, like you, am extremely grateful for the insight provided by the users of these forums!!

P

porkchop

Well I just hit the 51 hour mark! The engine has held up well. I just follow the maintenance schedule and it runs like a top! I know this thread is old but I wanted to give an update. I know my engine has been retired by kohler but maybe someone out there is considering a used mower with this engine. Take care all!

Boobala

Boobala

Well I just hit the 51 hour mark! The engine has held up well. I just follow the maintenance schedule and it runs like a top! I know this thread is old but I wanted to give an update. I know my engine has been retired by kohler but maybe someone out there is considering a used mower with this engine. Take care all!

Congrats !!! So glad to see your up-date..... I think it's great when someone replies back about an issue they've gotten solved , and the info. is helpful to ALL members ....... Best of luck and keep us informed . :thumbsup: Boobala