Just what you non tax payers have done now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
At least you have a good paying job. I once had a good paying job then the corporate downsizing came along and I got laid off. It was impossible to find a replacement as I had too much training and knowledge to be trusted. I spent ten years doing scrape metals until the late 80's when every Tom, Dick and Harry decide it was for them too. Guys were getting into fist fights over small pieces of scrape metal so I quit it and then took up working on lawn equipment. I have put all my knowledge work for myself instead the corporate greed guys. It is honest work and I don't have to lie as part of my job.

I never went to college and only have two of high school trade school training but I definitely have self taught myself a heck of a lot over the years and am still teaching myself everyday new things.
When the “hustle” isn’t there for work and the sense of urgency to pay bills, etc. fades away, you are left with what we are often seeing these days.
It is difficult to instill motivation, thirst for learning, and interest in being challenged into a person.
The irony is the internet has all the information ,after you sort through all the garbage, to learn how to do most things. The problem is that it requires patience, determination, and a learning curve. Many people want things now, and easy. The upside is there will always be plenty of work for productive people, especially as we become fewer vs the lazy and uninspired.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The professionalism in my line of work is one of the things that keeping me in business as I have to straighten out a lot of the internet inspired screw-ups. But I do get quite frustrated at it.

I have gotten to where I charge double when someones tries working on their equipment and royally screw it up. Even then I got to cut the bill at times just to make it more reasonable. It like the L120 that I spent 6 hrs on straightening out all the hacks just to get bitched at for charging $750 for repairing the deck, replacing a voltage regulator that I was told was bad, rebuilding the carburetor which had too small of jets in it, and replacing a cylinder head. Still the bill should had been over $1000. All didn't even bother to tell me that they were having PTO clutch problems. Now it back for a new PTO clutch. It one those intermittent short outs, I only engage the deck to check the deck operation.

But your right there are few of us professionals now and getting less every day. The current bunch of hacks are going to depend on an AI to tell them what to do and don't think for themselves. Personally I learned that I can't depend on others for correct info or help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
Trouble is companies are at the mercy of the share holders
Shareholders now days are just about all investment managers so they demand a bigger & bigger dividend each & every year till they suck that business dry and move on to the next .
Lieing is some thing have never done
When we had the courier business the customer appreciated that I was not always "Stuck on the Sydney harbour bridge" and would give them honest delivery times or suggest alternatives if that was not good for them

We tripled our turn over every year for the 20 years we were in business .
I give my customers honest answers here as well from "It will cost more than it is worth to fix , or I can fix it now but all these other things are on their way out .
Because of one thing or another I now have a 2 year back log as I have not been well enough to do much for a while and am amazed at just how many customers will put off things rather than take them to the nearest workshop .

As for not wanting to work
Right now Train Drivers are pulling $ 90,000 +
A graduate son of a customer has not worked for 5 years since leaving college and cries that he can not find work
So I showed him the add and got "I did not do 3 years of study to drive a f,,,,ing train "
Every one expects there to be a highly paid job in their field waiting for them the day they leave college but life does not work that way
And when one does come up it will go to the kid who has been driving trains for 5 years because the employer knows he is not afraid to do work .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sometimes going to college is a waste of time and money. I can run rings around most the book learned college kids most days

It must be nice to have so much extra money that some consider spending $750 on a repair to much but are willing to spend $4000 on a new mower, mainly because they can get it on credit.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ain't got no college edumacashun but probably 90% of the people I know do. A lot of them pay me money to fix their stuff. I know quite a few people with masters degrees working in retail or another low paying job. For 30+ years my wife and I lived below our means and saved money and I retired debt free at 61. Being educated and smart are two different things.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Right...You got put to good use what you have to work with. Just because some don't have families with the means don't mean we are stupid. Some are so far in debt they probably still be paying their college education when they drawing their SS.

So what I know is different than others. I don't use it to impress but to help others.

My mother only has a six grade education but she could do things that most couldn't do. I learned a lot my financial ability from her.

As you said just because the person is highly educated does not mean they are able do a lot. My given skill set just won't let me learn how to play music which I dearly love to do but I can figure out and repair about anything made. We all have a skill set that we are born with and should use it but also appreciate others that have different skill sets.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought it was a jelly donut.

I was running sound for a festival gig and they had an Elvis impersonator perform. Guy shows up late and throws me a CD with no writing on it. He can't remember what track numbers goes to what song. After he finally tells me the correct track I said over the PA "Thank you, thank you very much." After the gig he said that was unprofessional. I said so was showing up late and not knowing your $h!t. I don't think he likes me.
1697983365621.png

TonyPrin

Threads
I guess a big piece of that non-payment is from all those taxpayers who misstated their property values and the size of their condos.

Status
Not open for further replies.