I think it is beyond repair...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thanks...........I gotta look into that streaming dealio. I got Wi-Fi, but Spectrum cable is killing me with rate increases..

We got a killer deal on our Samsung years ago, & have a small Vizio in master bedroom..
Yes Spectrum is too expensive even for the internet but they are the only game in town right now. With the VOIP phone it is $100 per month. Maybe when FPU get their optic cable up and running there will be so price cuts. Currently I am getting $30 off via a government program so I am paying only $70 per month but that is ending soon due to Congress inaction.

Now I add the TV service I would not be able to pay for both and the internet service is more important to my business.

For streaming service hopefully you got enough bandwidth as they call it. The local net promises 300 mbps but I see only a max of 100 mbps here. But that is aheck a lot faster than the 3 mbps I had before I move to here.

davis2

Threads
Yes Spectrum is too expensive even for the internet but they are the only game in town right now. With the VOIP phone it is $100 per month. Maybe when FPU get their optic cable up and running there will be so price cuts. Currently I am getting $30 off via a government program so I am paying only $70 per month but that is ending soon due to Congress inaction.

Now I add the TV service I would not be able to pay for both and the internet service is more important to my business.

For streaming service hopefully you got enough bandwidth as they call it. The local net promises 300 mbps but I see only a max of 100 mbps here. But that is aheck a lot faster than the 3 mbps I had before I move to here.
Have you looked into Starlink? I moved from upstate NY to the Eastern shore of Maryland, and we have broadband cable strung, but cannot access a public cable... Funny but the guy a mile down the road works for Xfinity, and they have cable... I suffered with slow satellite until I discovered Starlink. You have to buy their equipment, but with the right plan, you can take it with you?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Have you looked into Starlink? I moved from upstate NY to the Eastern shore of Maryland, and we have broadband cable strung, but cannot access a public cable... Funny but the guy a mile down the road works for Xfinity, and they have cable... I suffered with slow satellite until I discovered Starlink. You have to buy their equipment, but with the right plan, you can take it with you?
Cost more than what I am paying reliable service now so I stick with what I am now using until a lower cost becomes available. Even the satellite in the area costs more and is unreliable. Verizon just upgrade their system here and the neighbor has it as has a cell phone. I just across the street and the cell service is still treble and I can see the tower from my back porch.
Starlink's Standard service now costs $120 per month for 24-220 Mbps. Meanwhile, its Business plans are available in three different packages: Priority 40GB for $140 per month, Priority 1TB for $250 per month and Priority 2TB for $500 per month.
Maybe the infrastructure bill that Congress and Biden passed may help your area but it is mainly for rural areas where internet service is hugely lacking.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes competition would be most welcome.. Spectrum is getting too greedy.

Never heard of Starlink in SE TN...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The sats have been over your area for a while now but as I noted it not worth the extra $20+ bucks.

And the only way Spectrum is going to come down on the price is competition which they getting some around here finally. Verizon is one that started cutting into Spectrum customer base and when the local electric company gets the optic up and working then there will a second competitor.

davis2

Threads
Yes competition would be most welcome.. Spectrum is getting too greedy.

Never heard of Starlink in SE TN...
Starlink is owned by Elon Musk. Satellite Internet with high speed. I got it for $120/mo. Hughes net was charging the same for a slooooow metered connection. And yes, I have a broadband cable right across the street, and I am as rural as it gets. But all the developments in both directions are connected... Maryland politics ain't helping!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Starlink is owned by Elon Musk. Satellite Internet with high speed. I got it for $120/mo. Hughes net was charging the same for a slooooow metered connection. And yes, I have a broadband cable right across the street, and I am as rural as it gets. But all the developments in both directions are connected... Maryland politics ain't helping!
Thanks for the 411. Well I hope they move to around here, cause w/ land line phone, Hi Speed Internet & cable TV, I pay double your number.
They did just do underground for Fiber optic lines. Hope that is for competition to spectrum..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally my television viewing is the local digital channels and the free Roku streaming channels along VoIP phone line. Spectrum internet and a $20 VoIP phone charge is all I paying for. I don't see any need for all those premium channels. Just putting with the ads are not that bad. Beside with 40 local I got half dumped as they are what I want to viewing. And VoIP phone operates just your regular land line.

My neighbor dump the Spectrum television service once he got the Roku service and pays a few extra dollars monthly for Paramount premium streaming channel.

VoIP = Voice Over the Internet Protocol

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
For many years all I could get was DSL at about 2 to 4 mbps. Got starlink about a year ago and now average 100 mbps. Internet price doubled but was worth it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Be thankful in one sense that we are no longer limited to dial-up service which in some area is still the only game in town. When I first got on DSL it was a speed demon compared to the fastest dial-up service I had. And at least I was able to use the phone at the same time too. Even when I first got my current service it was only 25 Mbps. Now I am seeing DL at 45 Mbps which is probably being limited the servers I am downloading from.

As more and more providers see that they can make a profit in an area they will move in with lower rates hopefully. But investment in new equipment is the main problem for these providers.

Any of you remember the 300baud speeds. OH how painful slow they were.