Honda Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm looking to go to a lighter machine, since we now only use it for light trimming under trees and trimming around a shallow ditch about 30' long. Also only need a side discharge this time around.

Mike, Honda offers the HRS line (two models, one push, one single-speed) that are no-frills, side-discharge (or mulching) and very lightweight. Same engine as your current Honda. Here's a link to find out more:

Honda HRS-series Mowers

MagnumMike

Threads
Thanks Robert ! I will check it out. On the positive side, I removed the engine from the mower and found that the blade attaching plate / pulley assembly had twisted upon impact and not the shaft. IMO just another reason to stay with Honda........great engineering! I also own 3 Honda motorcycles including an 1800 Goldwing. All they require are oil changes and regular maintenance. Like the slogan goes.........."it's a Honda".

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Robert ! I will check it out. On the positive side, I removed the engine from the mower and found that the blade attaching plate / pulley assembly

If you'll share the serial number off the back of the mower deck with me, I can look up the part number for the blade holder....they are typically attached to the tip of the crankshaft with a single bolt.

HONDA-GUY

Threads
New guy to the website, love the website lots of useful info and help. Recently bought a Honda mower and can honestly say I have no idea why I waited so long to get one. It is probably the best mower I have owned and I'm hoping it will be the last I ever own. Went out a week later and bought a honda trimmer to go along with the mower. My yard isn't huge and my equipment is probably bit of an over kill but darn worth the $$.

Cheers!

Mower-HRX217HYA

Trimmer-HHT35SLTAT

Myamada1230

Threads
Well, I just picked up on the local Craig's list a HRX2173HYA. Older guy had it and was selling it only because he was moving to an apartment. Once I cleaned it up, I realized how little this mower was actually used. I only paid $270.00 for it, I feel like I got a pretty good deal. Can anybody tell me what year this mower was made?

image-4064068138.png

image-231105376.png

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

magbarn

Threads
Well, I just picked up on the local Craig's list a HRX2173HYA. Older guy had it and was selling it only because he was moving to an apartment. Once I cleaned it up, I realized how little this mower was actually used. I only paid $270.00 for it, I feel like I got a pretty good deal. Can anybody tell me what year this mower was made?

View attachment 21909

View attachment 21910

Wow you got that for a STEAL! Here in southern California, the craigslisters are asking $400+ for HRX's.
That's a K3 model so it's only about 2-3 years old. It's a baby lol. Hopefully Robert can chime and see if yours falls under the defective automatic choke recall...

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

Based on the serial number, I can tell you that mower was likely manufactured in late 2011, early 2012. It was wholesaled to Home Depot in March, 2012, but the original owner never registered it with Honda. I see that you did back on 7/2, so this means the Honda warranty system thinks you bought it new and started the 5-year warranty clock on that date. :smile:

Anyway, there are no active campaigns, bulletins, or recalls on this unit. FYI, this mower is what is known as a K3 version; the autochoke issue is only present on a few of the newer K4 models.

Myamada1230

Threads
Based on the serial number, I can tell you that mower was likely manufactured in late 2011, early 2012. It was wholesaled to Home Depot in March, 2012, but the original owner never registered it with Honda. I see that you did back on 7/2, so this means the Honda warranty system thinks you bought it new and started the 5-year warranty clock on that date. :smile: Anyway, there are no active campaigns, bulletins, or recalls on this unit. FYI, this mower is what is known as a K3 version; the autochoke issue is only present on a few of the newer K4 models.

Thanks Robert! Is there anything else I should know about this mower? I have been a diehard snapper fan forever, then I stumbled upon this on Craig's list and had to have it. I've always walked by them in HD and the other local Honda mower dealer here in spokane. Is it bad for the blade clutch to hose my mower out after each mow?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is it bad for the blade clutch to hose my mower out after each mow?

Hosing off the underside of the deck is a great way to get maximum performance from the mower. Just follow these two rules:

(1) Let the mower fully cool off before spraying any water or doing any cleaning. The bearings on the underside of the deck expand when they are hot, and water will get inside them. During cooling, water gets trapped inside the bearings and promotes rusting and premature failure.

(2) Always tip the mower over on its RIGHT side so the LEFT wheels are UP. This keeps oil / fuel from draining where it should not.

FYI, you can download a copy of the owner's manual here:

Honda HRX217HYA Owner's Manual

shacky

Threads
New to forum. Bought this HRX217HXA almost 10 years ago. Just got it running like new with Robert's help! These Hondas are awesome!

And here's my lawn after installing new carb and blade: