Export thread

Honda Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

M

Muhammad

GREETINGS to all Honda mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Honda owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Honda mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Honda stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I have a "Billy Goat" brand brush mower powered by a Honda GXV340 engine. It will go through some pretty rough brush -- including saplings up to 1".

Billy-1.jpg

Note that it has only two wheels with skids on the front.

D

daddy3

hrm215 with custom b&s coil ,had one laying around when the honda coil quit ,runs better than ever

T

tedchang

thank for the guide, i am new here

B

buster57

Hi Muhammad,

I have two Honda HRC216 walk behind mowers. One is a 2006 purchased new and the other about a 1995 I bought used.

M

mva

Hi All:

I have a 1998 vintage, single speed HRR216.

I have done some work on it to keep it going including:

- Cleaned carb and added a fuel filter

- changed out drive belt

- cleaned and lubed the drive

- recently shortened the drive cable to get the transmission to engage

I mostly run the dual blade mulching kit but I also have a high lift blade and rear bag that I run spring and fall.

Mike

bwdbrn1

bwdbrn1

Pretty new to this forum, though I also belong to a few others. I've been a fan of Honda Power Equipment for quite a long time. Started way back as a kid with Honda motorcycles and carried over from there.

Currently I've got;
An MTD 21 push mower with the GCV160 engine that I bought new in 1999.
A Honda HS622 track drive snow blower that I bought new from C.E.I. Power Equipment in Moline Illinois
Two HR214SXA mowers that I bought used. Neither ran when I got them, but now one is my daily driver and the other has become a trailer queen.
Two HRM215s, one is an SDA and the other an HXA. Just picked them up a couple of weeks ago and I'm getting them back into shape to either use or maybe sell next spring.
I've also got another GCV160 that I put on an older Snapper 21" mower, and an extra GXV140 that was thrown in with the two HRM mowers. I'm trying to decide on bringing back to life, or just keeping what's good on it around for parts.

C

Chrisd

Hi. My name is Chris. I have a Honda HRR216VKA that I just bought recently. Already wanting to do some modifications. Your forum looks like a good place to start.

mikeypizano

mikeypizano

Picking up a HRC216HXA soon. Probably mid March. :licking:

W

waitingtundra

Have a hr214 had it since the 80's, starting to show a little age but still cutten grass:biggrin:

Briana

Briana

Welcome to all you new comers! We'd love to see some pictures of your mowers. Care to post some? :rolleyes:

W

waitingtundra

DSCN0123.jpg[/ATTACH]

Hopefully these are the right pictures of my old hr214, it's a battle scared mower that's probably mowed more grass than most riding mowers. I hate to spend any money on it as it's gota blow up one day. Re set the valve clearance and it now runs like it's on steroids. Wasn't starting right, the filter screen in the gas tank was clogged up, go figure after 20+ years.:biggrin:

Attachments

mikeypizano

mikeypizano

Here is my HRC216HXA I got Saturday.

DSCN1613.JPG

R

Richr106

Thanks for the invite. I just got my new Walk-behind HRR216VKA. Does anybody know if the handlebars can be adjusted for height. Thanks a lot.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Thanks for the invite. I just got my new Walk-behind HRR216VKA. Does anybody know if the handlebars can be adjusted for height. Thanks a lot.

"Depends!"

Earlier model VKA mowers uses a 3-pronged black-plastic knob on a simple threaded bolt to tighten the handlebar to the deck, and were NOT adjustable, one-height-fits-all.

Newer model VKA mowers have some light-grey spring-loaded "handlebar adjust knobs" than can be turned 90-degrees and the handlebar set to 1 of 2 positions:

attachment.php

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

Attachments

R

Richr106

Hey man, thanks a lot.

O

okm

Hi I am new here

I am totaly inexperienced so If you respond to my question, please, talk to me like I am a two year old:smile: And if at all possible diagrams and/or schematically specific drawings
I am the once proud owner of a used Ht-r3009 Honda riding mower
Thanks for any help
Okm

robert@honda

robert@honda

Re: Hi I am new here

I am the once proud owner of a used Ht-r3009 Honda riding mower
Thanks for any help
Okm

I have some access to Honda parts and shop manual information, so just ask if you have any specific questions. How about a photo of that old 3009?

-Robert@Honda

T

tuyenster

Hi All,
Like Richr106, I jut pick one up over the weekend from HD. I had a long discussion with Robert about pos and con purchasing from big boxs instead from authorized dealers. Still in the box so no pic, but then most of you know what the thing look like. I'll name it "The Thing" :laughing:

I used to take care of my lawn but since moving to gated community everything is taken care off; not to my liking but its taken care of. We recently moved out of the gated community and hired lawn maintenance company. I got tire of them show up to cut my lawn whenever they feel its convinience for them, cutting the same way so that I now have train tracks on my lawn and charged me weekly cut instead of bi-monthly cut as agreed on. Constant battle with the bill at the end of every month and keeping track of when they came by to cut, I told my wife not to worry about it, I'll do the lawn from now on so she can have piece of mind. I hope Florida summer will be kind to me.

Quick question, HRR216VKA does not come with hose attachment for quick spray down after cut correct? if not, any ideas for mod?

Thanks all.

O

okm

Ht-r3009

Thanks for the help

My lawn mower won't start this season won't even make a clicking noise. Good battery, oil and gas levels there is something curious though. there is a hose or tube hanging from the out side of the tank that i wonder if was connected to a tube that's kind of under the carb area. I never noticed it before but it does have a kink in it , like it was bent (the hose from the fuel tank I mean) and it did have hanging electric tape on it. Also the tube from under the carb has red around the tip of it and looks like it should connect somewhere. I am scared to try it. Sorry to be so long winded but I have searched google over and again for an image of the mower fuel tank side/
I appreciate any help you can give. Oh and I don't have a camera sorry. I wish I could show you the hose and tubes I am talking about

Thanks
Odette

robert@honda

robert@honda

Re: Ht-r3009

Thanks for the help

My lawn mower won't start this season won't even make a clicking noise. Good battery, oil and gas levels there is something curious though. there is a hose or tube hanging from the out side of the tank that i wonder if was connected to a tube that's kind of under the carb area. I never noticed it before but it does have a kink in it , like it was bent (the hose from the fuel tank I mean) and it did have hanging electric tape on it. Also the tube from under the carb has red around the tip of it and looks like it should connect somewhere.

On most riding equipment, there's a seat switch that detects if there is an operator in the seat. Usually, the starter motor won't operate without an operator in the seat, or, in some cases, if the parking brake is OFF. There's also a switch on the PTO/blade engage lever that is part of the safety interlock and might prevent the engine from starting.

There is some pretty good troubleshooting sections in the factory shop manual, but they aren't written for do-it-yourselfers. Fore example, if the starter won't operate, it says to connect a known good 12V battery to the starter terminal and starter solenoid body, and use a multimeter to check for continuity. Not so easy if you've never messed with a riding mower before or have limited mechanical / electrical skills. Still, if you feel you want to try, you can get a shop manual from Honda direct a their eBay store at this link:

Honda Shop Manuals on eBay

The shop manual can be an invaluable resource with these old tractors and riders...just search for HT-R3009; free shipping as I recall on most manuals.

-Robert@Honda

R

rrockettman

Hi all.
This is a copy of my new member thread message. I hope you don't mind duplicate messages.:confused2:

Just joined from the UK.
I've got an early Honda HT3810 from about 1986 that I've had for 15 years and she's now showing her age. I use her to keep 6 acres of lumpy fields clean of nettles, fern and brambles so she's had quite a hard life and worn well considering how rough the work is.
In the last few years I've replaced the PTO clutch, starter armature and brushes, prop shaft damper, battery and had the deck welded back together, and new deck belts and blades.
The next job is to sort out the engine. It coughs and splutters when hot, then backfires and stops. It won't restart until it has cooled. I'm hoping it's the carb adjustment and not the ignition coil.
Anyone else had this problem and knows the fix?
Thanks in advance.
Russ.

robert@honda

robert@honda

The next job is to sort out the engine. It coughs and splutters when hot, then backfires and stops. It won't restart until it has cooled. I'm hoping it's the carb adjustment and not the ignition coil.

Do you know if it is a UK-spec H3813, or was it imported from the USA or another location? I ask because it' quite common for the specifications and troubleshooting procedures to vary between different models. If it's a UK-spec model, best to contact Honda UK and see about getting a shop manual; this document typically has quite detailed troubleshooting procedures and can reduce the time spent trying to isolate a problem.

If it is a USA-spec tractor, you can get a shop manual from American Honda's eBay store at this link:

Honda HT3813 Service & Repair Manual on eBay

I'd start with the basics; when an engine stops, it's usually a lack of spark or fuel. In some cases, it could be a shut-down sensor, such as an oil pressure sender, that is malfunctioning. Try an isolate if it's due to no-spark or no-fuel first, and go from there. The H3813 can overheat and stall if the cylinder head gasket is blown or leaking, if the oil pump is not providing suitable pressure, or if the thermostat, thermoswitch, or water pump are not working correctly.

-Robert@Honda

R

rrockettman

Hi Robert. Thanks for your reply.
In answer to your Q's:
It is a UK model, a HT3810, 400cc single cylinder.
I replaced the spark plug and air filter but it made no difference to the spluttering when hot.
When I had the engine out to sort out the starter, I checked it over and serviced it. No leaks anywhere and good compression.
It always starts easily in the start position, so I don't think it is running too rich.
If I run it at very low revs it will keep going for an hour before spluttering to a halt. Any faster, through the rough stuff, and it takes about 20 mins on a warm day.
It is definately a heat related problem, that is why I'm leaning towards the carb. Is it easy to set the carb up after cleaning?
Any other ideas welcome.
Thanks.
Russ.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Hi Robert. Thanks for your reply.
In answer to your Q's:
It is a UK model, a HT3810, 400cc single cylinder.
I replaced the spark plug and air filter but it made no difference to the spluttering when hot.
When I had the engine out to sort out the starter, I checked it over and serviced it. No leaks anywhere and good compression.
It always starts easily in the start position, so I don't think it is running too rich.
If I run it at very low revs it will keep going for an hour before spluttering to a halt. Any faster, through the rough stuff, and it takes about 20 mins on a warm day.
It is definately a heat related problem, that is why I'm leaning towards the carb. Is it easy to set the carb up after cleaning?
Any other ideas welcome.
Thanks.
Russ.

Before anything else, I suggest you get a copy of the correct shop manual. It has lots of details, flow charts, and illustrations to guide any mending jobs. As the unit is a UK model, then Honda UK is the place to start. Here is their contact page:

Contact Us | Honda (UK)

The can help you get a shop manual and locate a nearby dealer who can help with parts, procedures, etc.

If for whatever reason you can't obtain a manual from Honda UK, American Honda offers USA-spec documentation that should be very close. See the Honda eBay link in my earlier posting.

I do think you are correct about a fuel issue; thermal-related symptoms are rarely associated with ignition problems.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda but the preceding was my opinion alone.

M

menauhant

Hi, Thanks for the welcome. I have two Honda Lawn Mowers one is 214HC model and it has issues, before I saw this forum I posted the issues. I don't know if all 214s were made in Japan but mine was. The other mower is newer about 6 yrs old both are push models, I like to mow at my speed and it one less thing to go wrong.

A

ademercedes

Hi. Just bought/rescued a honda hr21 mower from elderly lady who had stored it in a damp Blackpool (UK) garage for 5 years gathering dust/cobwebs. Fuelled it up, checked oil and wow, it started after 7 pulls! I have heard Hondas were good starters and this proves it. Will now service and see how she fares over the coming months.
Don't ever forget, behind the clouds its always a sunny day. Happy days.

J

jackthemower

Hi all,

I'm restoring my honda hr214 lawn mower, click the link to see my blog. If anybody has any questions about the 214 or the gxv120 engine, shoot me a line and I'll help if I can.

Jack

Q

QRP

Hello everyone, my name is Q i'm new here. I feel like the luckiest guy in the U.S......:smile: I just bought two (2) HRX217HXA for $225 on Craigslist. One starts right up, runs and cuts like a champ the other needs some work. I've always wanted a Honda mower but simply couldn't afford them. Got two of em for less then what I paid for my Toro. I'm glad I found this forum cause i'm going to need help with fixin the other one.

Scumbag242

Scumbag242

Hello,

I just purchased a new Honda lawn mower for my new house. I am new to working on my own yard and I will appreciate every bit of advice I get from here. I started a new thread, asking a few questions about the different models, but I probably should have started here. Below is a picture of my newly acquired Echo Weekwhacker and Honda Mower. I have such a small yard that a leaf blower is not realistic at this point.

IMAG0312.jpg
[/IMG]

B

BubbaBob

"New" HR214 SM

Just bought a "does not run" Honda HR214 SM off Craigslist ffor $25 as a parts donor for my mother-in-laws' mower. I decided to tinker with it and got it running - now I'm thinking about keeping it and getting rid of my 10 year old MTD made mower.

My father-in-law passed away about 5 years ago and since then my son and I have been doing her snow (Honda HS35) and lawn (Honda HR214 SX). I am very impressed with these old machines, plus I like to tinker with things on occasion.

Anyway, here she is:

Attachments

S

Schmomow1

Hello, I have a Honda HRM215HXA, purchased new in July 1999. It's been an awesome mower until yesterday when the hydro self-propel stopped working. In conjunction with the failure there was a cycling, wobbling, mechanical sound almost like one of the pulleys is loose but it was very defined, cycling in nature. The belt seems to have tension on it and it's not shredded up or anything like that.

Has anyone out there experienced something similar and if so, what was the cause/nature of the problem, thanks.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hello,

I just purchased a new Honda lawn mower for my new house. I am new to working on my own yard and I will appreciate every bit of advice I get from here. I started a new thread, asking a few questions about the different models, but I probably should have started here. Below is a picture of my newly acquired Echo Weekwhacker and Honda Mower. I have such a small yard that a leaf blower is not realistic at this point.

IMAG0312.jpg
[/IMG]

Your weedwacker is still so new looking!! LUCKY!! Mine is as dirty as can be! (And I don't feel like cleaning it, since it is just the guard!! haha)

robert@honda

robert@honda

Hello, I have a Honda HRM215HXA, purchased new in July 1999. It's been an awesome mower until yesterday when the hydro self-propel stopped working. In conjunction with the failure there was a cycling, wobbling, mechanical sound almost like one of the pulleys is loose but it was very defined, cycling in nature. The belt seems to have tension on it and it's not shredded up or anything like that.

Has anyone out there experienced something similar and if so, what was the cause/nature of the problem, thanks.

There some service details about this model and transmission I can share with you, but need to first get the serial number off the back of the mower deck. It should be in the form of "MXXX-1234567"

M

menauhant

This is a post that I made in May to another thread. I never have had any response and am posting it here because this thread gets a lot of responses. Hope to hear a few ideas on what I should do :smile:

Honda 214 HC Made in Japan

I picked up an old Honda 214HC that looks brand new. The previous owner got tired of it and when he couldn't start it he sold it to me for $30. I figured that I could get it started, wrong. I changed the plug, new gas, primed it through the carb and pulled the cord, it immediately started and when the primed gas ran out it stopped. Really sounded great when it was running. After a few hours of this I took it to a friend he took the carb off cleaned it (soaked for 3 days) put it back together and the same thing happened to him. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated, I am thinking of buying a new carb but before I do that I thought I would ask.

Does anybody know what the HC means? I see a lot of 214 SX self propelled but no 214HC listed. Thanks.

Scumbag242

Scumbag242

Your weedwacker is still so new looking!! LUCKY!! Mine is as dirty as can be! (And I don't feel like cleaning it, since it is just the guard!! haha)

That's because it was brand new in that picture - never used. I am contemplating cleaning it after every use until I start using it commercially. Then at that point, I don't think I'll mind it getting dirty.

I usually always forget to take pictures of the "toys" I buy when they are new. It's always nice to look at the pron of new toys. Right? :tongue:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

It's always nice to look at the pron of new toys. Right? :tongue:

haha, yeah! :laughing:

R

rePhil

I guess I am the newest member. I had a question and found this forum.I have had a HRB 216 for at least 10 years or so.
I see we have a Honda guy on board to give a helping hand, that's great.

robert@honda

robert@honda

The last character in most Honda model names usually indicates the market for that product. For all models sold in the USA, that means "A" is the last letter, such as HR194PXA = Honda Rotary Mower 19" cut, 4 horsepower, Push-style, Roto-Stop (blade clutch), USA market.

"C" tells me this is probably a model originally sold by Honda Canada. Generally, the USA and Canadian models are very close in specifications. You may wish to contact Honda Canada and see if any service materials are available. If not, the USA-spec shop manual for the HR214/HRA214 is available on eBay with free shipping direct from Honda.

This is a post that I made in May to another thread. I never have had any response and am posting it here because this thread gets a lot of responses. Hope to hear a few ideas on what I should do :smile:

Honda 214 HC Made in Japan

I picked up an old Honda 214HC that looks brand new. The previous owner got tired of it and when he couldn't start it he sold it to me for $30. I figured that I could get it started, wrong. I changed the plug, new gas, primed it through the carb and pulled the cord, it immediately started and when the primed gas ran out it stopped. Really sounded great when it was running. After a few hours of this I took it to a friend he took the carb off cleaned it (soaked for 3 days) put it back together and the same thing happened to him. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated, I am thinking of buying a new carb but before I do that I thought I would ask.

Does anybody know what the HC means? I see a lot of 214 SX self propelled but no 214HC listed. Thanks.

A

ablecain

Hello,

Ok I've got a HRR216TDA. Bought it used for at a good price. Used the heck out of it. Developed some problems. At first I had fuel leaking from the air cleaner. Cleaned the carb bowl out, business as usual. Then... New prob. It would only run when I primed it with a spit of gas. brrrr. :thumbsup: No continued combustion. I took the carb off (Oh what a lesson learned 5 gaskets later I was back in action.)

Now I got no spark. Need a service manual. Anybody know where I can get PDF w/out taxing my gardeners wages?

Thanks Alot,

JCain

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

General owner's manuals can be found on the Honda website here: Honda Power Equipment: Honda Generators, Lawn Mowers, Snowblowers, Tillers but if you need a service manual I think you are going to need to spend a little money! (Unfortunately!)

A

ablecain

I read about your day yesterday and sorry about you having been "strung along". I moved forward in resolving HRR216 issue. Spit petrol in throat of carb. and I do have spark. Just could see it with my eyes. Perhaps next time I should hold the freakn spark plug i my hand and turn the crank. Zap!
Looking to simply replace carb as I have found through reading other threads is most likely to offer positive result. Also, looking to purchase new primary rotary mower.
Thanks Fanatic

J

jeo556

Hello all, I have a Honda HRR216KVA I purchased two years ago. She runs perfectly and always starts on the first pull. Really like her although I've been looking for a tractor for my new lawn which is a little larger than I'm used to at ~1/2 acre. Anyway just wanted to check in.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hello all, I have a Honda HRR216KVA I purchased two years ago. She runs perfectly and always starts on the first pull. Really like her although I've been looking for a tractor for my new lawn which is a little larger than I'm used to at ~1/2 acre. Anyway just wanted to check in.

:welcome: to LMF! You have a nice mower!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

All you Honda owners: Join the HONDA OWNERS group! http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/groups/honda-owners.html

R

rogueserver13

My Honda HRR2163VXA is about 8 years old now--my wife named it "Hondella". I mow an acre of wooded, rough land with it and it is aging rapidly. The rear height adjuster just broke off and replacing it is apparently a pain.

Anyone change one of those before? Advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Bryan

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

My Honda HRR2163VXA is about 8 years old now--my wife named it "Hondella". I mow an acre of wooded, rough land with it and it is aging rapidly. The rear height adjuster just broke off and replacing it is apparently a pain.

Anyone change one of those before? Advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Bryan

I have not, but I'm sure it is a pain!

R

rePhil

I was the new guy, but since I have been hanging out here awhile, I'll claim to be the not so new guy. I was happy to be able to be able to find the info I needed here, as well as sell something that has a limited market.
While mowing yesterday I tried to think of how old my HRB is. I am guessing at least 11 to maybe 13 years old.
The story goes I went to purchase a new mower at Home Depot. The lawn and garden person steered me to my mower which was a recon. He said he believed someone purchased it, used it once or twice and returned it.It looked new. At that time returns went to a local shop that checked it out and tattooed it with with a "recon" Label. Never had a bit of trouble until the transmission stopped working.Oh, there was a starter cord replacement along the way too. A refill fixed the transmission. Not bad after all these years. It hasn't had an easy life even by Florida standards.Besides a long mowing season, it has mowed friends and relatives yard too.
A few weeks ago I experienced the no good deed goes unpunished adage. I had a tree trimmed and the cleanup crew missed a small piece of oak. It ended up going through the deck. I mowed the next few weeks with gaffers tape over it before I had the time to glass it. So without further adieu, here are a couple of photos.

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I was the new guy, but since I have been hanging out here awhile, I'll claim to be the not so new guy. I was happy to be able to be able to find the info I needed here, as well as sell something that has a limited market.
While mowing yesterday I tried to think of how old my HRB is. I am guessing at least 11 to maybe 13 years old.
The story goes I went to purchase a new mower at Home Depot. The lawn and garden person steered me to my mower which was a recon. He said he believed someone purchased it, used it once or twice and returned it.It looked new. At that time returns went to a local shop that checked it out and tattooed it with with a "recon" Label. Never had a bit of trouble until the transmission stopped working.Oh, there was a starter cord replacement along the way too. A refill fixed the transmission. Not bad after all these years. It hasn't had an easy life even by Florida standards.Besides a long mowing season, it has mowed friends and relatives yard too.
A few weeks ago I experienced the no good deed goes unpunished adage. I had a tree trimmed and the cleanup crew missed a small piece of oak. It ended up going through the deck. I mowed the next few weeks with gaffers tape over it before I had the time to glass it. So without further adieu, here are a couple of photos.

It looks like it is holding up pretty well for how old it is!! (Except for the hole! :laughing:)

R

rePhil

I was hoping someone can gauge the age by the serial number.

It looks like it is holding up pretty well for how old it is!! (Except for the hole! :laughing:)

robert@honda

robert@honda

I was hoping someone can gauge the age by the serial number.

I can look up the serial number in the Honda database. Should be able to tell you when the unit was first wholesaled from Honda to a dealer. Most mowers are built and sold < 6 months, so that could give you a ballpark on when the mower was built.

R

rePhil

Robert,

I would be interested in any info you can provide. Thanks.
FYI, the serial number is visible in a photo in my previous post.

Thank you.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Robert,

I would be interested in any info you can provide.

Okay, that unit was wholesaled from Honda to Home Depot in Sarasota, FL on 8/10/2001. It was never registered as a retail sale by the original buyer. I would estimate the mower was built earlier in 2001, perhaps late 2000. I can confirm it was built at the Honda plant in Swepsonville, NC (nearly all Honda mowers sold in the USA have been built there since the mid 1980s).

The records indicate that specific mower has not been updated per the safety recall to repair the Roto-Stop blade brake. This recall was issued in July 2003, and the braking plate on the Roto-Stop can fail if there is excessive vibration, which can happen if the mower strikes an object and the crankshaft becomes bent. It's important you arrange to have this mower updated. Honda will pay for the repairs, you just need to get it to a dealer and tell them the mower is part of Lawn Mower Service Bulletin #65.

Use this link to find a dealer in your area; please call them with the mower's serial number and confirm all the details.

Find a Honda Dealer

F

FWM

Just found the LawnMowerForum when searching the web for a hint to a solution to a problem with my HONDA HRR216TDA (3 speed walk behind). Bought new in 04/2004 and it has been a great reliable machine until it started giving me some concern this past summer.

Going over to the 'Honda Forum' to post and see if someone can help.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Just found the LawnMowerForum when searching the web for a hint to a solution to a problem with my HONDA HRR216TDA (3 speed walk behind). Bought new in 04/2004 and it has been a great reliable machine until it started giving me some concern this past summer.

Going over to the 'Honda Forum' to post and see if someone can help.

WELCOME TO LMF!
I have the same mower (bought it in 2006). It has been a good mower, but I recently upgraded to the HRX217HYA. I love it!
:welcome:

W

waitingtundra

View attachment 4915[/ATTACH]

Hopefully these are the right pictures of my old hr214, it's a battle scared mower that's probably mowed more grass than most riding mowers. I hate to spend any money on it as it's gota blow up one day. Re set the valve clearance and it now runs like it's on steroids. Wasn't starting right, the filter screen in the gas tank was clogged up, go figure after 20+ years.:biggrin:

Guess I outa buy a new mower for the season, naw I'll just run it foer another year lol Another 25+ years maybe

J

jackcu

good morning. Honda HRR216K3VXA

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

good morning. Honda HRR216K3VXA

That's a great mower! :thumbsup: And welcome to LawnWorld!! :welcome:

M

MTLwldr

Hello everybody! I'm the owner of 2 of Honda's old mid-size commercial line-up; a HRC7018 w/sulky (280 hrs) & a HRC7020 (1300 hrs). I'm looking for both the snow blower (SB7038) and the sweeper attachment (FS7054) for these mowers. They appear to be few and far in-between. Does anybody know of any that are for sale?

robert@honda

robert@honda

Hello everybody! I'm the owner of 2 of Honda's old mid-size commercial line-up; a HRC7018 w/sulky (280 hrs) & a HRC7020 (1300 hrs). I'm looking for both the snow blower (SB7038) and the sweeper attachment (FS7054) for these mowers. They appear to be few and far in-between. Does anybody know of any that are for sale?

There's a Honda dealer in New Jersey that has a fair amount of older Honda products. I know they recently sold an unused HRC7113 (gear trans.) mower, and might have a lead on either the blower or sweeper.

[url]www.mayberrys.com
[/URL]
Mayberry Sales & Service Inc.
232 Main Street
Port Murray, NJ 07865
(908) 689-3310

I'll also ask my co-workers who are in the northern areas to inquire. Will post any results I find back here.

Here's an excellent craigslist search tool; you specify distance, and he will search all craigslist sites. Suggest you search for "honda sweeper" or "honda broom" or "FS7065" or "SB7038".
www.searchtempest.com/

There's another forum with lots of vintage Honda fans (mostly tractors) but suggest posting a "wanted" message here too:
MyTractorForum.com / Honda Group

C

Cyendrey

I just purchased a HRX217HYA-it will be my first "quality" walk behind.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I just purchased a HRX217HYA-it will be my first "quality" walk behind.

I know you will be VERY happy with it! I have the same mower...it's the best mower I have ever used! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

M

mikey99

Just joined the forum recently and enjoying reading about all the different Honda mowers.

I have a 3 year old HRR216VKA which I absolutely love !

I also have a 31 year old Craftsman mower that I keep around for mowing the roughs ......and for loaning to neighbors when they come over asking to borrow a mower. :laughing:

Decided a long time ago........ I will never loan out my Honda mower !

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Just joined the forum recently and enjoying reading about all the different Honda mowers.

I have a 3 year old HRR216VKA which I absolutely love !

I also have a 31 year old Craftsman mower that I keep around for mowing the roughs ......and for loaning to neighbors when they come over asking to borrow a mower. :laughing:

Decided a long time ago........ I will never loan out my Honda mower !

Welcome to LawnWorld! Yeah....I wouldn't lone out my Honda HRX! :rolleyes:

C

CHERG

HRR216VKA 21" self propelled walk behind. purchased 2011.

C

CHERG

changed the plastic auto choke block with a new one. now mower runs at low rpm?

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

HRR216VKA 21" self propelled walk behind. purchased 2011.

Nice! :thumbsup:

D

dbuchta

Hello,

I have a Honda HRR2168VKA and it is starting to give me problems. Which is what brings me here. I'm hoping to get some good suggestions on fixing them!

robert@honda

robert@honda

Hello,

I have a Honda HRR2168VKA and it is starting to give me problems. Which is what brings me here. I'm hoping to get some good suggestions on fixing them!

What kind of problems? How old is the mower? You have a 3-year warranty....here's a link to find a local dealer who can inspect it: Find A Honda Dealer

exotion

exotion

What kind of problems? How old is the mower? You have a 3-year warranty....here's a link to find a local dealer who can inspect it: Find A Honda Dealer

Out of curiosity if I use my hrr commercially does that void my warranty? Also I don't use honda oil. Not that it matters for me it would just be nice to know

robert@honda

robert@honda

Out of curiosity if I use my hrr commercially does that void my warranty? Also I don't use honda oil. Not that it matters for me it would just be nice to know

The warranty is different depending on how the mower was registered at the time of sale. Do you know if you or the dealer completed a registration? Dealers do it online, but individual customers may fill out and mail in the registration card. Either way, one of the question is "commercial" or "residential" use.

While the HRR is technically not a commercial machine, many pros use it daily. If it was registered as a commercial use, it will have a warranty, but just a shorter one.

If you'll PM me with your frame serial number, I can confirm how / when the registration was done for your mower and when the warranty will expire.

On the subject of oil, only two things matter: (1) It should be SAE 10W-30. (2) It should be changed per the maintenance schedule. You can't be denied warranty coverage by not using Honda oil, or by not using a type of oil (synthetic or petroleum). As long as you do (1) and (2), you'll have no oil worries as far as warranty is concerned.

Finally, a product warranty can technically never be "voided" here in the USA. It's a binding legal document that's in effect from the moment you purchase the mower. Honda has legal obligations to you they can't just walk away from, period. For example, if there's ever a safety issue, it does no matter how old the mower is or how long you've owned it, or even if you're not even the original owner, Honda (like any other company working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission) must repair/replace the product until they can prove *all* of the units effected by the safety recall have been updated and accounted for.

Again, get me the frame S/N and I'll get you the details; here's where to find it:

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

V

viper8315

Hello everyone, new guy here! I just picked up a HRX2174HYA 2 weeks ago, and wow, what a difference from my old Toro I was using. This mower makes things so much easier, the toro was under-powered, leaked grass everywhere while bagging, left clumps, etc. The Honda is definitely going to make things easier. Well, just wanted to say hello, and check in. I'm definitely a do-it-yourself kind of guy, so I use forums to fix problems, maintenance, etc. Speaking of which, does anyone have a PDF of the service manual for the HRX217 series? Thanks...

Tim

robert@honda

robert@honda

Hello everyone, new guy here! I just picked up a HRX2174HYA 2 weeks ago, and wow, what a difference from my old Toro I was using. This mower makes things so much easier, the toro was under-powered, leaked grass everywhere while bagging, left clumps, etc. The Honda is definitely going to make things easier. Well, just wanted to say hello, and check in. I'm definitely a do-it-yourself kind of guy, so I use forums to fix problems, maintenance, etc. Speaking of which, does anyone have a PDF of the service manual for the HRX217 series? Thanks...

Tim

Hi Tim:

Honda offers paper-only versions of the shop manual. Any digital copies (.PDF or the like) you might find are pirated. The HRX has been out for almost 10 years, and there are a number of shop manuals depending on the specific model, so you want to be sure to get the right one. Your new Honda has its own dedicated shop manual, just for the HYA model. You can get one from Honda's store on eBay for $35 (free shipping); here's the link:

Honda HRX217HYA Shop Manual / eBay

For DIY, you will need just basic hand tools (metric), a torque wrench for certain nuts/bolts (blade bolts, in particular, must be tightened exactly), maybe a 3mm special wrench to adjust valves, and either a flywheel holder or strap wrench should you ever need to remove/install the special flywheel nut. When you need parts, many dealers sell online (google a part number), but often with shipping, it's cheaper just to buy local even with the sales tax. In the back of the owner's manual is a list of standard service parts/numbers, and you can find a local dealer at this link: Find A Honda Dealer

Did you buy from a local dealer or Home Depot? If a local dealer, did the dealer collect your name and address and register the unit? This is important, as it will ensure you get the +1 year of warranty Honda was offering for mowers registered before June 1 of this year. If you bought it at Home Depot, there's a registration card in the box you can fill out and drop in the mail. Be sure to date it PRIOR to June 1 to get that extra warranty.

Finally, be sure to keep the oil changed per the Maintenance Schedule, and use SAE 10W-30. Regular 86 octane unleaded is fine, up to 10% ethanol if that's all you can get. For best results, completely drain all the fuel from the tank/carburetor when storing for the winter. Any gasoline in a fuel can that goes unused for more than 30 days should be dumped into your car/truck tank. Sadly, modern fuels just don't store very well, even with stabilizers and preservatives. By keeping fuel OUT of the mower, you also keep fuel-related problems OUT as well.

V

viper8315

Wow Robert, thanks a lot man. Ok, I'll probably just pick up the shop manual if it's that cheap. I've always "found" ones for my vehicles, but those factory manuals cost hundreds. I got it from home depot, and yea, I registered it myself online, got a confirmation email as well. Do you know how long until I get something saying I got the extra year of warranty? As far as the maintenance, the only thing that I've never done is the valve adjusting. The manual says 100 hrs or every year. Is this something that's absolutely necessary?

J

JSB33

New member and new Honda owner.
My name is Jeff and I live in Northeast Ohio.
I have almost a 3/4 acre lot that I probably overdue the time spent on it (and the fertilizer) I cut with a Cub Cadet tractor but have a lot of areas that the tractor won't work on. I also cut the entire yard in the spring with the lawn mower.
Been using a Toro for years, it was getting long in the tooth so I have been researching lawn mowers for the last month or so.
Finally made up my ind on a Honda HRX2174HYA
Used it a little bit yesterday, I am still getting used to it, I have to retrain myself after 12 years of Toro. :laughing:

Here it is
HondaLawnmower001.jpg

HondaLawnmower011.jpg

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

New member and new Honda owner.
My name is Jeff and I live in Northeast Ohio.
I have almost a 3/4 acre lot that I probably overdue the time spent on it (and the fertilizer) I cut with a Cub Cadet tractor but have a lot of areas that the tractor won't work on. I also cut the entire yard in the spring with the lawn mower.
Been using a Toro for years, it was getting long in the tooth so I have been researching lawn mowers for the last month or so.
Finally made up my ind on a Honda HRX2174HYA
Used it a little bit yesterday, I am still getting used to it, I have to retrain myself after 12 years of Toro. :laughing:

You will love that Honda! :thumbsup:

P

polarisflyer

Hello Muhammad and team! I'm new to this board... I acquired a used (practically new) HRZ216TDA mower (the one with caster wheels) last year, and I'm getting irritated with the single-wheel drive. Hoping that one of you has some insider knowledge of how to fix this (if it's not supposed to do this).

Cheers!

E

EAsyAs123

Hello,

Another one here! Purchased 5/25/12 to replace my old Honda (HRR216TDA, purchased 4/26/06) - repairs had become more than 1/2 the cost of a new mower! What problems are you having? The smart drive stopped working 2 weeks ago (belt slipped). I'm waiting for an update on it's status at the shop.

L

lildevil_66

Hello all,
Picked up a HRB217HRX off Craigslist in need of some TLC. Overall good shape. Owned a HRS215 for 23 years before the right front corner of the deck was broken when I hit a sidewalk. I can definetly say these Hondas are the best mower I have ever owned. Tried a new Toro after the HRS broke and what a waste. One thing I would like to see is Honda go back to the rubber wheels for their mowers. They get much better traction on the turf and last much longer than these "plastic" wheels on the new mowers. Currently refurbing the HRB and hope to have it up and running in a few days. The service manuals are impossible to find for free so I guess I will purchase one to help out in the restore. I think for about $70 she'll be running like new again. Great site with alot of usful information. Glad I ran across it.
Chris

K

kgp

Hiyas! New member, first post. HRC216HXA owner. I also have an old Commercial Snapper which it replaced. (I may go back to the Snapper) Just wanted to introduce myself before I start a thread.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hiyas! New member, first post. HRC216HXA owner. I also have an old Commercial Snapper which it replaced. (I may go back to the Snapper) Just wanted to introduce myself before I start a thread.

:welcome: Nice mower! :thumbsup: Other than the ground speed being too fast (in your opinion) why might you go back?

P

pmillen

I've admired Honda products for a long time. I had their motorcycles in the 70s, bought their first 4-cycle outboard motor (still have it) and regularly use two snow throwers (one single stage and one two-stage). When my 24 year old John Deere walk behind flat-lined (engine still a one-pull starter but many other problems) I decided to buy my HRX2173HYA. I've mowed with it once and I think that I'll grow just as fond of it as I was the Deere. I'll be a regular forum reader but will rarely post.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I've admired Honda products for a long time. I had their motorcycles in the 70s, bought their first 4-cycle outboard motor (still have it) and regularly use two snow throwers (one single stage and one two-stage). When my 24 year old John Deere walk behind flat-lined (engine still a one-pull starter but many other problems) I decided to buy my HRX2173HYA. I've mowed with it once and I think that I'll grow just as fond of it as I was the Deere. I'll be a regular forum reader but will rarely post.

:welcome: I have the same mower and LOVE it! :thumbsup:

S

shortyr

Hi, I am shortyr I have a HRR216VXA can't pull cord to start unless the blade is engaged. What do I need to fix this so it will start with blade not engaged?

robert@honda

robert@honda

Hi, I am shortyr I have a HRR216VXA can't pull cord to start unless the blade is engaged. What do I need to fix this so it will start with blade not engaged?

The VXA has a blade clutch (called Roto-Stop) that probably needs repair. Honda issued a Service Bulletin back in 2006 on a related issue where the clutch would disengage unintentionally, which may or may not be related to the problem you're having. For sure, take the mower to a Honda dealer and have it inspected and evaluated; they are best qualified to give you the best diagnosis of the problem. You don't want to fool around with blade control issues for obvious safety reasons.

Here's a link to find a Honda dealer in your area; just select "mowers" and enter your ZIP code:

Find A Honda Dealer

B

BubbaBob

HR215 and HS621 Here

Hello everyone, For a couple of years I've been on the lookout for a couple of classics worth owning and I've completed my quest on Sat, July 27th, 2013.

I picked up a really clean HR215 K1 HMA and when I got it home on Saturday gave it the once over, oil, spark plug, adjusted the cables, cleaned the carb, put on the mulching kit and put it to its first test today. Does it sound goofy to say I actually enjoyed cutting the lawn? I've got a tad over 1/3rd acre of lawn to cut so I do have a Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor but I use the walk behind every chance I get, well, just because I need the exercise. I'd like to find out date of manufacture if anyone knows of a source.

The second item (acquired first back in April or May) is an HS621 - argghh argghh argghh as Tim would say. I'm really going to try to break it down for some R&R before the snow comes but if not there's always next year, its in pretty good shape but not nearly as fine as the mower.

Now, If I wanted to go out and buy a new Honda mower or a new Honda Snow-thrower, I can. But the older I get the more I appreciate older items of quality, and getting those items back to good working shape.

My father-in-law passed away about 7 years ago and my son started taking care of the snow and lawn for Oma. Being only 10 or 11 at the time it really meant dad was doing a lot of the work and son was getting the cash. :rolleyes: He had/has an HR214 SX and an HS35, they were old then and I've gained a level of respect and admiration for Honda Power Equipment. So after some studying I feel I picked out the best of the best and started looking a couple of years ago.

I'll get some pics posted relatively soon.

Bob

W

wridav

Hello from Loon Lake Saskatchewan, Canada

I am Dave and I have a Honda 4514 with 38 inch mower. Recently purchased it as a replacement for a MTD Yardworks tractor with mawer and bagger. MTD front tie-rod keeps bending so I slipped a pipe over the tie-rod to stiffen it. Unfortunately it caused the arm on the left wheel hub to buckle. So it is parked for now. Enjoy the Honda immensely But miss the bagger. Having challenges finding one for a 4514. Sad Honda quit making the Riders!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hello from Loon Lake Saskatchewan, Canada

I am Dave and I have a Honda 4514 with 38 inch mower. Recently purchased it as a replacement for a MTD Yardworks tractor with mawer and bagger. MTD front tie-rod keeps bending so I slipped a pipe over the tie-rod to stiffen it. Unfortunately it caused the arm on the left wheel hub to buckle. So it is parked for now. Enjoy the Honda immensely But miss the bagger. Having challenges finding one for a 4514. Sad Honda quit making the Riders!

They look like awesome machines! :thumbsup: we want pictures.gif

S

Sonny812

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Honda owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Honda mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Honda stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

My name is Sonny and my mower does not have a name. It is a Honda HRR216. I am from NC and with all the rain the grass is growing like crazy.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Re: HR215 and HS621 Here

I picked up a really clean HR215 K1 HMA .........I'd like to find out date of manufacture if anyone knows of a source.

The first version of the HR215HMA (what is internally known as a "K0") was launched in the USA back in 1992, and the updated (K1) model came a bit after that.

Some searchable online records might be available fro your specific mower. I can double-check the history if you'll send me a private message with the serial number off the back of the mower deck; it's in the form of "MZAM-62_ _ _ _ _". If you'll also include a mailing address, I can update the registration to show you as teh current owner. This is useful in the unlikely event there's ever a safety recall on the mower and Honda needs to alert you about it.

B

BubbaBob

I'll get some pics posted relatively soon.

Bob

My lawnmower.

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

My lawnmower.

It's in great shape! And nice lawn! :thumbsup:

Giblet

Giblet

Am a little tardy but checking in with these two little puppies:

Attachments

R

Rusto

Hi. Rusto here. Have an HRB216HXA. It's name is unpronounceable to human but responds to having its cord pulled. Likes to be pushed around, but isn't afraid to move on its own. ;)

robert@honda

robert@honda

Hi. Rusto here. Have an HRB216HXA. It's name is unpronounceable to human but responds to having its cord pulled. Likes to be pushed around, but isn't afraid to move on its own. ;)

Here at Honda HQ, we call that model, "Herb" :)

L

lmr13

Hi all. I have a HRR2167VKA that is 3 or 4 years old.

S

sranger941

HR 21 Transmission Question

Hi,

New Member. Have an old, but very reliable HR21(1981?) self propelled with BBC. Does anyone know what type of lubricant is in the transmission/gearbox? I have just rebuilt/replaced most of the drive system (pulleys, belt, tensioner arm, etc). In doing these repairs, some fluid leaked out of the transaxle (fluid was black but did not smell burned and did not seem to have any metallic shavings). Called several honda dealers and got varying answers including lithium grease, 10W-30 motor oil, Honda Tranny Fluid (non-hydrostatic). I have temporarily put in some 10W-30 for now. Thanks for any assistance. Scott

C

cjo

Hello. I'm Charlie. Recently purchased a Honda HRX217VKA mower. Today, I posted a question about a bagging problem.

S

SRJMow

Hello, my name is Stan and I have two Honda mowers that have not been named yet. I have a Honda HRX217HXA that is about seven going on eight years old. It has been my main mower that I use to mow my lawn. I also recently purchased a Honda HR215K1HMA from my next door neighbor to replace a twenty to twenty five year old Murray push mower that my Dad owns that rusted through its deck pretty badly, and that will now serve as an emergency only mower. The HR215 appears to be the same as BubbaBobs mower. My neighbor hired a lawn company about ten years ago due to her age and stopped using the Honda, but kept it in her attached garage. Unfortunately I think she also left a fair amount of unused gas in it that evaporated and left behind a nice amount of gunk in the carb. Even so, it still started up on the first pull before I started working on it! I will use it to mow my father's lawn. He turned 95 this year. Given that his sister turned 101, and that he has an aunt who made it to 106, I may be mowing his lawn for the next five or ten years with it :laughing: He really loved the "new" old machine and got a kick out of watching me working on it from his kitchen. That is what brought me to this forum as I was looking for information about this model, and the success or failure that people had trying to clean the carburetor on this particular model. I was also looking for steps to take to tune it up and restore it as much as possible to its condition when it was first purchased. So far I have done the following:
New spark plug added. Old one was a bit dirty and was poorly gapped. Much too wide.
New paper air filter added.
Cleaned and kept the foam filter.
General cleaning of exterior, and underside. Lots of old dried up grass, but cleaned up nice and no signs of damage or rust. Looks much better than I would have expected. Exterior has a few scratches on the side, but looks very good.
Blades (dual mulching blades) were in great condition and did not need sharpening.
Oil change. Old oil was dirty, but not too bad. Brownish, but not black.
Carburetor cleaned twice. (Twice, because the first time I missed clearing a plugged up pilot jet.) The symptoms of the clogged pilot jet were surging while idling at high idle speed, and running at a very high rpm when the blade was engaged. Also, when disengaging the blade or if I lowered the idle speed quickly it would sometimes backfire. Once I cleared the blockage with a very thin wire and an extra cleaning in my wife's small ultrasonic cleaner everything worked better. No surging at all now. No ultra high RPMs with the blade engaged, and no backfiring. At every speed and condition the engine is purring like a kitten now. However, I only tested it for a short time today. The real test will be next Monday when I mow the entire lawn. So wish me luck! I cannot believe I am looking forward to mowing the lawn in 45 degree weather on Monday:smile:.
Still to be done:
Check out valves. Will probably have dealer do this as I am having him do a few other things.
Replace fuel line. Easy enough to do myself, but the dealer will probably do it when he is doing other stuff for very little or no extra charge.
Have local dealer double check low idle RPM and max idle RPM to see if everything is okay. I could probably do this myself, but I would have to buy the shop manual and a quality tachometer and spend quite a bit of time before getting everything just right. And knowing my luck and skill level I might just make matters worse.
Have my dealer check and adjust cables if needed. He does a great job at cleaning mowers and greasing them up properly. It's worth it to me to have him do this type of work once every three years.
Clean gas tank. Looks okay, but given how long it was sitting I will clean it just the same.
Get the charger from my neighbor for the mower. I forgot about the charger as I never had an electric start mower. Only my snow blower (Simplicity P1524E) has this feature.
Order new battery for mower from Interstate for about $50, shipping included. Starting feature is not needed, but since it came with it I might as well make it useable.
That should do it. Hopefully when I am done it will be functioning as good as new (or better), even if it does have a few scratches to show for its efforts. From what I remember it has about about five years of actual usage on it. Less than a third of an acre of land and seven months of mowing each year where I live. So probably about 150 hours on this machine. Lucky to have a neighbor like this!!
Thanks to everyone for their stories and information. It has made it easier for me, and it is enjoyable to read about the new and old Honda mowers, along with everyone's opinions and experiences. I am not sure which of the two mowers I now use will end up being my favorite. Time will tell.
Not sure how often I will post, especially since the mowing season is nearly over. But I will be reading from time to time. I may post some pictures later, if I get a chance.

mowerman1999

mowerman1999

I got given a 2001 honda izy. It had half a tank of fuel in it! When i tried it started first pull. All it needs is a bit of a clean up and the blade sharpened and I have a really good mower!

S

SRJMow

I got given a 2001 honda izy. It had half a tank of fuel in it! When i tried it started first pull. All it needs is a bit of a clean up and the blade sharpened and I have a really good mower!

Sounds like you got a real good deal! Good price, that's for sure :biggrin::

Not familiar with that model as it's not found in the US. I looked up online though and it comes in various models. What is your model #?

S

SRJMow

It was a successful mowing this Monday using my refurbished HR215K1HMA. :thumbsup: The weather was even cooler than I expected, at 34 degrees. It started up first pull, took about 10 or 20 seconds to warm up and run evenly and then I had no problems at all mowing my Dad's lawn. No surging, no excessive RPMs, no backfires. Looks like the clogged pilot jet was the culprit. It now runs just as good as my HR217HXA. I may still have the dealer check the rpms in the spring, but I am willing to bet that everything is good to go judging by the sound of it.

Comparison of machines:

HR217HXA is excellent at mulching, and good at bagging. The HR215K1HMA is excellent at bagging, and good at mulching.
The HR215K1HMA is a bit heavier than the HR217HXA. Since they are both self propelled, the little bit of extra weight is not a detriment IMO, except when you have to load it in your car, SUV, truck. So far no problem with grass sticking to the underside of either model. It has been very dry lately though, so I will have to test drive the HR215HMA in wetter conditions.

So far I like both of them about the same. It makes mowing a much more tolerable, and sometimes an enjoyable experience.

mowerman1999

mowerman1999

Sounds like you got a real good deal! Good price, that's for sure :biggrin::

Not familiar with that model as it's not found in the US. I looked up online though and it comes in various models. What is your model #?

Its HRG415SD. Its self propel and is a 16 inch cut.

S

SRJMow

Its HRG415SD. Its self propel and is a 16 inch cut.

Nice machine! :thumbsup:

S

SRJMow

Here are a couple pictures of the HRX217HXA when I was doing my leaf pickup last week. I have since put it into storage for the winter. I will be doing my last mow of my Dad's place today using the HR215K1HMA in order to pick up the remaining leaves at his place. Then I will be putting it into storage. I hope to take a few pictures of it and post them when I get a chance.

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Here are a couple pictures of the HRX217HXA when I was doing my leaf pickup last week. I have since put it into storage for the winter. I will be doing my last mow of my Dad's place today using the HR215K1HMA in order to pick up the remaining leaves at his place. Then I will be putting it into storage. I hope to take a few pictures of it and post them when I get a chance.

Looks good! :thumbsup: I love using mine for leaf cleanup!

S

SRJMow

Looks good! :thumbsup: I love using mine for leaf cleanup!

Thanks!

The HRZ217HXA has been used for all my mowing, and I love using the bag for the leaves and the first mowing in the spring to pick up all the oak leaves and odd stuff that has blown into the yard. It is the best mower I have had for mulching, and the rest of the mowing season I just mulch with it. So far no problems. However, I did notice feeling a little bit of resistance when pulling it backwards recently. I probably need to lubricate the pinion gears before next spring, and check to see if anything needs replacing in that area.

Attached is a picture of the HR215K1HMA. I am quickly becoming very fond of this machine. It really sucks up the leaves. In the current dry conditions I need to water the lawn very lightly to keep down the dust when using the HR215. Otherwise it can kick up quite the dust storm.

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Thanks!

The HRZ217HXA has been used for all my mowing, and I love using the bag for the leaves and the first mowing in the spring to pick up all the oak leaves and odd stuff that has blown into the yard. It is the best mower I have had for mulching, and the rest of the mowing season I just mulch with it. So far no problems. However, I did notice feeling a little bit of resistance when pulling it backwards recently. I probably need to lubricate the pinion gears before next spring, and check to see if anything needs replacing in that area.

Attached is a picture of the HR215K1HMA. I am quickly becoming very fond of this machine. It really sucks up the leaves. In the current dry conditions I need to water the lawn very lightly to keep down the dust when using the HR215. Otherwise it can kick up quite the dust storm.

That Honda HR215 looks like a great mower! :thumbsup:

M

mazr

Newbie to the forum.

Just bought a HR215SX today. Picking up on Tuesday.

00z0z_1PIL2mqfgbm_600x450.jpg

00303_3HAQDwjoNTh_600x450.jpg

Got it for $125. Looking forward to trying it out. The seller said he wasn't sure the last time it was serviced....it was his dad's and he said he takes good care of his equipment. I'm considering taking it to the Honda dealer for a checkup.

Attachments

S

SRJMow

Looks great! The bag looks in good shape, and the wheels do not look like they are worn out much at all. If those wheels are original then that mower probably does not have very many hours on it. I cannot see any noticeable cracks or dents.

Let us know how it runs. Does it start up easily, and does it run smooth? Or does it surge? Is the oil filled up and fairly clean? Are the blades fairly new and sharp and without any cracks?
Does the self propelled transmission work properly?
Any idea how many years of use are on it? Any dents or cracks on the body?
As long as you don't have any major dents/cracks, the engine is okay, and the transmission is working, then that mower should last you a very long time. Surging can easily be fixed, and blades can easily be replaced.

M

mazr

The seller didn't know a whole lot about it. His dad's moving to a duplex and doesn't need it any longer. He said his dad said it runs and cuts great. I have a feeling he told him to sell it for him. Looks like there's some scraping on the one side...I bought it sight unseen so I've got my fingers crossed.

M

mazr

Just picked the HR215SX up. Fired right up on the 1st try. This is my 1st Honda mower and the sound is definitely smoother than my usual 50 dollar used mowers. All 3 speeds worked fine. Bag is in good condition and the oil looks good. This thing is a tank.

A few things:

1. There's gas still in the tank. I always ran mine out at the end of the mowing season. Should I do this now?
2. And as you can probably see from the pic, the blade engage cable is kinked. I'm thinking I should just get it replaced. Doesn't look good.
3. I'm thinking just take this into a Honda dealer and have them look it over.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

20140318_173347.jpg 20140318_173356.jpg 20140318_173406.jpg 20140318_173554.jpg 20140318_173559.jpg 20140318_173619.jpg 20140318_173647.jpg

S

SRJMow

Looks good! Nice that it started on first try. Dents and scratches do not appear to be more than surface stuff from what I can see from the photos.

When I purchased my HRM215masters from my neighbor it also started on the first try. But they left old gas that dried up in it and it surged, so I ended up having to clean the carb. Then it ran perfectly.
I also replaced the air filter, changed the oil, replaced the spark plug, lubricated cables and wheels, cleaned the underside, and sharpened the blades. None of what I did cost very much, and mainly took a little time on my part.
Afterwards it ran wonderfully, and I saw no need to take it to a dealer. Although I plan on checking the RPMs this spring to make sure they are in spec. It sounds great, but I want to double check before running it for another full season.
I would suggest you drain that old gas. Then I would take off the carburetor bowl and take a look at how it looks. If there appears to be a lot of crud in it, then a cleaning might be warranted.
Not sure about the cables. IMO, if they work, then I would leave them alone.

robert@honda

robert@honda

1. There's gas still in the tank. I always ran mine out at the end of the mowing season. Should I do this now?

+1 on this; I'd probably drain the fuel, flush the tank with some SeaFoam or other fuel system cleaner, then refill with fresh gasoline. To avoid any starting/running problems in the future, never allow fuel to sit more than 30 days in the tank. Take a bit of compressed air and a spray can of real carburetor cleaner to the entire carb area; it looks very dirty, and while the air filter should keep it out, it's a good practice to have the outside cleaned up too.

2. And as you can probably see from the pic, the blade engage cable is kinked. I'm thinking I should just get it replaced. Doesn't look good.
A new cable is Honda Part Number 54530-VA3-J00, list price $17.60. Google the part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

Replacing the cable is a bit of a chore; you must remove the Roto-Stop parts from under the deck, including the blade, clutch, brake, etc., then move up to the other end and fully disconnect. I'd recommend getting a full paper shop manual which has all the details and is nicely illustrated. You'll save a bundle in aggravation and not have any parts left over :wink: when done. Honda sells them on eBay and Amazon with free shipping for $39.

3. I'm thinking just take this into a Honda dealer and have them look it over.

Get it to them now and beat the spring rush. We have dealers already running 2-3 weeks behind on spring tune-ups. Use the link above to find a dealer for service, too.

M

mazr

Thanks for the responses.

Just called the Honda dealer and they said they could have it in and out in 2 days tops.

Robert, do you have any idea how old this model is?

robert@honda

robert@honda

Robert, do you have any idea how old this model is?

Get me the full serial number on the back of the deck...might be able to look it up in Honda's system and get some dates:

serialnumber_zps1d0377e8.jpg

M

mazr

Thanks, Robert.

MZAM 6017732

Hope that's the right one.

Just dropped the mower off for a tune up. The shop guy walked over and said "That's the best mower Honda ever made. It'll run forever. You can't kill em".

That's what I like to hear.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Thanks, Robert.

MZAM 6017732

What an oldie! Did not expect it to even show up in the system...anyway, that mower was wholesaled by Honda to a dealer in Lansing, MI, way back on 3/16/1990, and purchased by the first retail customer, a Mary P., of Grandledge, MI, on 10/16/1991.

That mower was likely built in late 1988 or sometime in 1989, probably at the Honda plant in Swepsonville, NC.

M

mazr

1990??? Wow.....the guy was right. This was taken care of nicely.

Thanks for looking that up for me.

robert@honda

robert@honda

1990??? Wow.....the guy was right. This was taken care of nicely.

Thanks for looking that up for me. Now I've gotta try to find an owners manual on ebay.

Owner's manual? Free digital copy here:
HR215 Owner's Manual

Shop Manual? (paper only) on amazon or ebay (about $36, free shipping):

Amazon.com: Honda HR195 HR215 HRA215 Lawn Mower Service Repair Shop Manual: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Honda HR195 HR215 HRA215 Lawn Mower Service Repair Shop Manual | eBay

M

mazr

I went right to ebay after I posted and bought a hard copy.

Thank you anyway, Robert.

H

hadiona

Hey thanks I am new here. I have one honda.

D

DiverDn

Hello,

New to forum, springs here and need to buy a new mower.

Self propelled died last year and I have been considering a Honda.

Considering the HRX series without the electric start.

Biggest downside of course is the price, but that's overcome if I fell the extra cost is worth it.

Not to be too forward, but I do have a couple of questions about things I have read and was wondering if there was some advice you could give.

I've read that there was/is some issues with carburetors. Any experience with bad carbs on the Honda's?

The same folks that had the carb issue, had issues with customer service or lack thereof, any feedback?

Thanks in advance.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hello,

New to forum, springs here and need to buy a new mower.

Self propelled died last year and I have been considering a Honda.

Considering the HRX series without the electric start.

Biggest downside of course is the price, but that's overcome if I fell the extra cost is worth it.

Not to be too forward, but I do have a couple of questions about things I have read and was wondering if there was some advice you could give.

I've read that there was/is some issues with carburetors. Any experience with bad carbs on the Honda's?

The same folks that had the carb issue, had issues with customer service or lack thereof, any feedback?

Thanks in advance.

I would highly recommend the Honda HRX217 models. I have the HYA, and it has been a great mower. I have not had any carb issues, but customer service has been great. You just need to find a good, helpful dealer.

D

DiverDn

I would highly recommend the Honda HRX217 models. I have the HYA, and it has been a great mower. I have not had any carb issues, but customer service has been great. You just need to find a good, helpful dealer.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still looking at the Hondas, trying to decide if I want to spend that much or not. :)

I'm also trying to decide if I want to repair the old Toro, it runs great, drive gears are shot. I may check out the Toro Forum for some direction.

Thanks again.

KC_kid

KC_kid

Just joined the forum...

I got into a Honda Masters HR215 HXA last fall, I searched local (KC) Craigslist all summer for this model and one finally showed up. It was in decent shape, but I still replaced oil, air filter and spark plug. It is having trouble with dying when I engage the blade and I cleaned the carb spotless. That didn't help so I have a new carb on the way. Otherwise it runs great, cuts great, just wish I had a mulch plug and a better design for a striper. Looking forward to many years with this one.

HR215 K1 HXA MZAM-6263557
GXV140 Serial GJAB-7520228

S

SRJMow

Just joined the forum...

I got into a Honda Masters HR215 HXA last fall, I searched local (KC) Craigslist all summer for this model and one finally showed up. It was in decent shape, but I still replaced oil, air filter and spark plug. It is having trouble with dying when I engage the blade and I cleaned the carb spotless. That didn't help so I have a new carb on the way. Otherwise it runs great, cuts great, just wish I had a mulch plug and a better design for a striper. Looking forward to many years with this one.

GXV140 Serial GJAB-7520228

I have the same model. Love it! The new carb should fix the problem. But keep the old carb and clean it up some more. I cleaned my old carb and still had the problem you describe until I cleaned out the very small hole in the jet set pilot. Very easy to miss that super small hole. Then it ran perfectly. My model is slightly older, but it was not used for ten years so it probably has fewer hours on it. I will be bringing it over to use on my Dad's lawn later this week. Make sure you use thick plastic gloves when working with carb cleaner. Very toxic stuff that can enter through your skin. Make sure you have good ventilation as well.
This model should last a very long time.

KC_kid

KC_kid

I cleaned my old carb and still had the problem you describe until I cleaned out the very small hole in the jet set pilot. Very easy to miss that super small hole.
Thanks for that info. The o-ring on the pilot jet plastic piece was pinched and deformed, I don't think it went back together just perfect. I wonder if it blocked or partially blocked the pilot jet or pilot jet air path, according to the Carburetor Check Sheet, this could create some problems.

F

freeloader700

New here. I just posted another thread before I seen this one. I have two mowers. A Harmony HRT216KS3A and a Commercial HRA216-SXA that I am going to try and revive. Check the link in my signature

Here is a pic of my two mowers

Harmony

Commercial

robert@honda

robert@honda

I got into a Honda Masters HR215 HXA last fall, I searched local (KC) Craigslist all summer for this model and one finally showed up.

This mower was originally wholesaled by Honda to a dealer in on 4/13/2000, and purchased by a retail customer in Shawnee, KS on 4/22/2000. There are no active campaigns or recalls for this model.

A mulching plug (#5) is available, Honda part number 06762-VA3-S00. For best mulching results, use a single mulching blade (#3), part number 72531-VA3-S00, and a spacer (#4), part number is 72532-VA3-S00.
hr215mulchingkit_zps073a695d.jpg

Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

Use a torque wrench when tightening the blade bolts: 36-43 ft-lb is the spec.

JDsLawnCare

JDsLawnCare

Hello everyone, just bought a Honda HRS2164SDA yesterday!

Attachments

H

Hotdiggitydog

Hi everybody. I have a Harmony 2013 and I'm currently trying to put the drive belt back on after it came off. Any help will be appreciated.:thumbsup:

HDD

JDsLawnCare

JDsLawnCare

Hi everybody. I have a Harmony 2013 and I'm currently trying to put the drive belt back on after it came off. Any help will be appreciated.:thumbsup:

HDD

You could try pm'ing rober@honda, thats his name on here, i imagine he could help point you in the right direction

H

Hotdiggitydog

Thanks hondan00b. I'll pm him.

HDD

JDsLawnCare

JDsLawnCare

My apologies HDD, its robert@honda

H

Hotdiggitydog

My apologies HDD, its robert@honda

Got it. Thanks.

HDD

M

Mosedley

Hello! I was recently picked up an old HRM215K2SXA (I think). I changed the oil; cleaned the carb, gas tank, and lines. I also replaced the starter assembly and spark plug. It started on the first pull!!! But, it makes a horrible screeching noise. It squeals even with the BBC and/ or self propel disengaged; I'm at a loss. I'm currenly waiting on a manual, so I can investigate more. Big thanks to all the contributors, this site has been a huge help to me thus far!

Serial: MZBB-6372652
GJAB-7327704

robert@honda

robert@honda

HDD

Is your 2013 a gear-drive or hydrostatic drive model?

Has the belt broken or is it still in one piece?

The drive belt goes around the crankshaft and a large input pulley on top of the transmission. In between are some spring-loaded tensioner arms (and a clutch arm for gear transmission models). To replace the belt, you must remove the mower deck. After the deck is off, the new drive belt can be installed, then the deck installed, and the deck belt installed as a last step.

There is a full procedure to remove the mower deck in a free owner's manual download here:

Honda Riding Equipment - Owners Manuals

You'll need the serial number of the left side frame to get the correct manual for your tractor.

If you have a gear model, the drive belt is easy to install, just make sure the clutch pedal is engaged so the tensioner is out of the way. For a hydrostatic model, the drive belt is under constant tension from a heavy spring that is connected to the rear of the frame. See attached .PDF files for details.

Attachments

• 2013 gear drive belt.pdf
    33.1 KB · Views: 2

• 2013 hydrostatic drive belt.pdf
    58.2 KB · Views: 4

H

Hotdiggitydog

Thanks Robert, When it stops raining here I will get to it. I appreciate the links for the manuals.:thumbsup:

HDD

JDsLawnCare

JDsLawnCare

Gave her a bath and did her first 5hr oil change

Vervepipes

Vervepipes

Hi, checking into the owner thread. I just picked up an HR194. Has spark, runs if gas poured into the intake, so the carb needs cleaning. I don't know the age but it looks near new, the chrome is even still near perfect which is rare here in Nova Scotia. This is one of my favorites in my personal "not for sale" collection, even though it doesn't run yet. Bad part is that the bown bolt is rounded off so if vice grips can't get it off then I'll have to resort to something more extreme or a new carb. Well worth the price of a new carb considering it was given for free! I'll get pics later, I have it as an attachment on another post.

Attachments

robert@honda

robert@honda

Neat old mower...can't say for sure there in Canada, but an entire carburetor and most of its parts are still available from Honda dealers here in the USA. List price for a whole new carb is about $65 USD.

When replacing the carb or just cleaning it, strongly suggest you fit new gaskets, and be very careful to get them in the correct location and orientation.

Vervepipes

Vervepipes

I really have no idea how old it is, I haven't looked too deeply into it as I have almost 20 mowers to sort, repair, dismantle and sell so my personal collection has to wait in the corners of my shed. I figureed maybe 1990's vintage by the look but who knows until I look at a serial number. I figure I'll buy a replacement carb and keep the one on there now as a spare to clean up once I get my ultrasonic cleaner. This one definitly was well taken care of and never left out in the rain or fog.

D

Don Ellis

new here good morning
find a lot of the info informative thank
have 2 honda hhr 216 series
:licking:

S

spoton

Hello, just joined and will be looking forward to the delivery of my new HondaHRX217K4HZA mower next week!

After careful consideration this mower provided the best reputation, features, electric start, blade stop and the dual blade system. It should prove to be a great purchase. I will review my thoughts after using the machine this next month.

I was looking for quality of cut since the area I mow is not that large. As a side note since my area of mowing is smaller, most likely this machine should last about 60+ years. Lol..

shacky

shacky

After years of owning Snapper I bought an HRX217 about 8 years ago. Love it but am having some engine troubles even after dealer replaced carb - separate thread.

M

magbarn

Originally got a HRX217HXA, then a HRX217HYA. Traded in the HYA and got this...

Attachments

robert@honda

robert@honda

Originally got a HRX217HXA, then a HRX217HYA. Traded in the HYA and got this...

Just for your personal lawn, or will it be used professionally?

The HRC is an absolute tank of a mower, and should be the last one you'd ever need to buy. Shaft drive, commercial-grade engine, full ball bearings, triangulated handlebar supports, 1,000+ hour hydrostatic transmission, heavy gauge steel deck, the list goes on and on.

M

magbarn

Just for your personal lawn, or will it be used professionally?

The HRC is an absolute tank of a mower, and should be the last one you'd ever need to buy. Shaft drive, commercial-grade engine, full ball bearings, triangulated handlebar supports, 1,000+ hour hydrostatic transmission, heavy gauge steel deck, the list goes on and on.

Personal use, I just love commercial equipment lol. I've dabbled in homeowner trimmers and blowers in the past and slowly upgraded to commercial trimmer and backpack blower like the BR600 from Stihl and I was blown away by the difference in quality.

I have quite a bit of straightaways on my lawn to the weight isn't much of an issue as the hydro will be fully engaged most of the time. I basically got back what I paid for the HYA so I just went for the HRC. You're right about this HRC lasting a lifetime though, pretty sure my 4 year old son will be mowing with it hehe. :thumbsup:

Since I got the HRX217HXA for a song, I'm going to just keep it as backup, still runs pretty well, not sure how many hours it has, but has quite a bit of rust on the rotostop mechanism and the rear axle...

M

MagnumMike

New to this thread......... I have a 10+year old HRB217TDA. Best mower I've ever had !! I added an hour meter when new and it currently has over 230 hours on the machine. Now the bad news......my wife hit a stump this past weekend and bent the crank. It still starts fine and runs, but with a noticeable vibration. I'm looking to go to a lighter machine, since we now only use it for light trimming under trees and trimming around a shallow ditch about 30' long. Also only need a side discharge this time around. My only complaint with the mower, is the rear discharge chute clogs up constantly when dealing with taller grass. Am considering getting a new motor as the composite deck is still like new! Any owners of the side discharge Honda care to comment on performance etc?

Mike
Central NY

robert@honda

robert@honda

I'm looking to go to a lighter machine, since we now only use it for light trimming under trees and trimming around a shallow ditch about 30' long. Also only need a side discharge this time around.

Mike, Honda offers the HRS line (two models, one push, one single-speed) that are no-frills, side-discharge (or mulching) and very lightweight. Same engine as your current Honda. Here's a link to find out more:

Honda HRS-series Mowers

M

MagnumMike

Thanks Robert ! I will check it out. On the positive side, I removed the engine from the mower and found that the blade attaching plate / pulley assembly had twisted upon impact and not the shaft. IMO just another reason to stay with Honda........great engineering! I also own 3 Honda motorcycles including an 1800 Goldwing. All they require are oil changes and regular maintenance. Like the slogan goes.........."it's a Honda".

robert@honda

robert@honda

Thanks Robert ! I will check it out. On the positive side, I removed the engine from the mower and found that the blade attaching plate / pulley assembly

If you'll share the serial number off the back of the mower deck with me, I can look up the part number for the blade holder....they are typically attached to the tip of the crankshaft with a single bolt.

H

HONDA-GUY

New guy to the website, love the website lots of useful info and help. Recently bought a Honda mower and can honestly say I have no idea why I waited so long to get one. It is probably the best mower I have owned and I'm hoping it will be the last I ever own. Went out a week later and bought a honda trimmer to go along with the mower. My yard isn't huge and my equipment is probably bit of an over kill but darn worth the $$.

Cheers!

Mower-HRX217HYA

Trimmer-HHT35SLTAT

Myamada1230

Myamada1230

Well, I just picked up on the local Craig's list a HRX2173HYA. Older guy had it and was selling it only because he was moving to an apartment. Once I cleaned it up, I realized how little this mower was actually used. I only paid $270.00 for it, I feel like I got a pretty good deal. Can anybody tell me what year this mower was made?

image-4064068138.png

image-231105376.png

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

M

magbarn

Well, I just picked up on the local Craig's list a HRX2173HYA. Older guy had it and was selling it only because he was moving to an apartment. Once I cleaned it up, I realized how little this mower was actually used. I only paid $270.00 for it, I feel like I got a pretty good deal. Can anybody tell me what year this mower was made?

View attachment 21909

View attachment 21910

Wow you got that for a STEAL! Here in southern California, the craigslisters are asking $400+ for HRX's.
That's a K3 model so it's only about 2-3 years old. It's a baby lol. Hopefully Robert can chime and see if yours falls under the defective automatic choke recall...

robert@honda

robert@honda

Based on the serial number, I can tell you that mower was likely manufactured in late 2011, early 2012. It was wholesaled to Home Depot in March, 2012, but the original owner never registered it with Honda. I see that you did back on 7/2, so this means the Honda warranty system thinks you bought it new and started the 5-year warranty clock on that date. :smile:

Anyway, there are no active campaigns, bulletins, or recalls on this unit. FYI, this mower is what is known as a K3 version; the autochoke issue is only present on a few of the newer K4 models.

Myamada1230

Myamada1230

Based on the serial number, I can tell you that mower was likely manufactured in late 2011, early 2012. It was wholesaled to Home Depot in March, 2012, but the original owner never registered it with Honda. I see that you did back on 7/2, so this means the Honda warranty system thinks you bought it new and started the 5-year warranty clock on that date. :smile: Anyway, there are no active campaigns, bulletins, or recalls on this unit. FYI, this mower is what is known as a K3 version; the autochoke issue is only present on a few of the newer K4 models.

Thanks Robert! Is there anything else I should know about this mower? I have been a diehard snapper fan forever, then I stumbled upon this on Craig's list and had to have it. I've always walked by them in HD and the other local Honda mower dealer here in spokane. Is it bad for the blade clutch to hose my mower out after each mow?

robert@honda

robert@honda

Is it bad for the blade clutch to hose my mower out after each mow?

Hosing off the underside of the deck is a great way to get maximum performance from the mower. Just follow these two rules:

(1) Let the mower fully cool off before spraying any water or doing any cleaning. The bearings on the underside of the deck expand when they are hot, and water will get inside them. During cooling, water gets trapped inside the bearings and promotes rusting and premature failure.

(2) Always tip the mower over on its RIGHT side so the LEFT wheels are UP. This keeps oil / fuel from draining where it should not.

FYI, you can download a copy of the owner's manual here:

Honda HRX217HYA Owner's Manual

shacky

shacky

New to forum. Bought this HRX217HXA almost 10 years ago. Just got it running like new with Robert's help! These Hondas are awesome!

And here's my lawn after installing new carb and blade:

Jkdet67

Jkdet67

Hello everyone"...I bought my Honda hr214sx in 1987. This mower is very special because it's the only mower I have ever used. I have had some spare time this year and my baby showing a little age(little rust in the grass shoot) so I had the idea to paint a few things on the mower to spruce her up a bet. Well I stripped the mower deck clean. Sanding and wire rushing the rust areas and Rhino linered the whole deck top to bottom. Used 3cans (the deck now weights 7000 pounds lol) purchased new tires and blacked out the white rims before mounting. Painted the top cover and recoil starter Honda Red. Hand painted the Honda Decals on top and the raised Honda lettering on the front of the deck. I think it turned out wonderful and man they were shocked when I pulled up to 7-11 riding it..lol ..uploading pictures now. Let me know what you think.

C

casper1952

Thanks Muhammad! I had a 5518 and regret selling it. Had a tiller and dozer blade and wa3810 clutch repair

Attachments

O

OklahomaDave

Greetings all from the Sooner State.

Third summer with a GCV160-powered HRR Honda mower, good worker, but giving me problems this season. Hope to get some pointers here!

R

roebuck

Giday, I have a Honda hru 194 (gxv 120) it's a great little mower. Love to learn about small engines so I'm looking forward to this forum.IMAG0020.jpg

A

Augustivus

Hello, I'm a new owner of an HRM215. I'm having trouble with it leaking oil and posted a thread about it below. I'm thinking maybe I should have posted that in the Honda section, but I don't know how to move it and don't want to double post.

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small...5-leaking-oil-profusely.html?referrerid=49245

From,
Augustivus

T

turboscrew

I have McCulloch Edition 1 XXL with Honda GCV-190.
But I also have a mower with 1973 B&S 92902 (with jos another frame) and Toro tiller with B&S 130200.

D

deckeda

Stumbled on this thread on P.2. So it couldn't get read "first" :)

I have two HR215HXA Masters mowers.

One was purchased new (my dad got it for me in 2001) and the other I bought off craigslist the other day. Drove 3 hrs round trip. Both need some TLC, so here I am.

M

mort

I have HRR216TDA MCZG 7719565 with GCV160 engine. Just bought it, runs great but needs the 3 speed drive fixed, currently not self propelled. I've owned Honda small engine power washers and a Honda Ridgeline pick up which all were among the best machines I've owned. Never worked on any of them because they ran so good :smile:I'm not a wrench, definitely more of a muddler who often has an extra fastener or spring left over. So, 1st project is to figure out the drive issue, whether its the belt, cable, trans or a combination, I have no idea. Look forward to getting direction from the folks with experience if I need it.

Best,

Mort

robert@honda

robert@honda

I have HRR216TDA MCZG 7719565 with GCV160 engine. Just bought it, runs great but needs the 3 speed drive fixed, currently not self propelled. I've owned Honda small engine power washers and a Honda Ridgeline pick up which all were among the best machines I've owned. Never worked on any of them because they ran so good :smile:I'm not a wrench, definitely more of a muddler who often has an extra fastener or spring left over. So, 1st project is to figure out the drive issue, whether its the belt, cable, trans or a combination, I have no idea. Look forward to getting direction from the folks with experience if I need it.

Best,

Mort

Transposed a couple of characters, I believe; should be MZCG, not MCZG.Regardless, that's a K4 version, the last/best of the HRT216TDA models. FYI, the 'K4' is a version code Honda uses to note models with running changes, as Honda mowers don't have model years.

The TDA models were built with a non-serviceable transmission; if it tests bad, there are no service parts available, and the transmission would need to replaced as a unit; Google Honda Part Number 20001-VG4-H01 (MSRP $109.97). Not a difficult job to do

Did you buy it new or used? My records show it was never registered with Honda, and it would be a good idea to do that, in the unlikely event Honda should need to contact you regarding any Safety Recalls or Update Campgains. Drop me a PM with your full name and mailing address, and I'll get the database updated to show you as the current owner. FYI, that unit was built at Honda's plant in Swepsonville, NC, on or about 5/10/2007 to Home Depot in Commerce, MI. After that, the trail goes cold. Oh, and with a mailing address, I can at least send you a few Honda goodies!

Parts: Honda has a nice online parts-look-up guide; this is just a reference source, and does NOT sell parts. Good for looking up part numbers. Once you have the number(s), Google them to find a dealer selling that number online.
Linky here: [url]http://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment#/browse/lm/hrr/hrr216/HRR216K4-TDA[/URL]
Many big dealers have similar look-up sites, that do provide retail sales; example linky: [url]http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Lawn%20Mower/0/HRR216K4%20TDA/parts.html[/URL]

Owner's Manual:
Free digital download direct from Honda: Linky here: [url]http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31VL0U20.pdf[/URL]

Shop Manual:
Honda sells paper copies of shop manuals online, direct from eBay or Amazon (free shipping). FYI, Honda does not distrbute or sell digital copies of shop manuals to consumers. Linkies:

HRT216K4TDA Shop Manual on eBay
HRT216K4TDA Shop Manual on Amazon

M

mort

Transposed a couple of characters, I believe; should be MZCG, not MCZG.Regardless, that's a K4 version, the last/best of the HRT216TDA models. FYI, the 'K4' is a version code Honda uses to note models with running changes, as Honda mowers don't have model years.

The TDA models were built with a non-serviceable transmission; if it tests bad, there are no service parts available, and the transmission would need to replaced as a unit; Google Honda Part Number 20001-VG4-H01 (MSRP $109.97). Not a difficult job to do

Did you buy it new or used? My records show it was never registered with Honda, and it would be a good idea to do that, in the unlikely event Honda should need to contact you regarding any Safety Recalls or Update Campgains. Drop me a PM with your full name and mailing address, and I'll get the database updated to show you as the current owner. FYI, that unit was built at Honda's plant in Swepsonville, NC, on or about 5/10/2007 to Home Depot in Commerce, MI. After that, the trail goes cold. Oh, and with a mailing address, I can at least send you a few Honda goodies!

Parts: Honda has a nice online parts-look-up guide; this is just a reference source, and does NOT sell parts. Good for looking up part numbers. Once you have the number(s), Google them to find a dealer selling that number online.
Linky here: [url]http://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment#/browse/lm/hrr/hrr216/HRR216K4-TDA[/URL]
Many big dealers have similar look-up sites, that do provide retail sales; example linky: [url]http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Lawn%20Mower/0/HRR216K4%20TDA/parts.html[/URL]

Owner's Manual:
Free digital download direct from Honda: Linky here: [url]http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31VL0U20.pdf[/URL]

Shop Manual:
Honda sells paper copies of shop manuals online, direct from eBay or Amazon (free shipping). FYI, Honda does not distrbute or sell digital copies of shop manuals to consumers. Linkies:

HRT216K4TDA Shop Manual on eBay
HRT216K4TDA Shop Manual on Amazon

Hi Robert,

I pm'd you and thanks for the links.

D

dgail620

Hi, ya'll. Owner of a classic Honda HR214 that seems to have picked up a really bad smoking habit. I've had the mower for about 14 years but it originally belonged to my inlaws. The father in law bought a new Honda and gifted this to me. I'm now a widow and the one responsible for the upkeep of the lawn equipment so came looking here.
Besides the Honda mower, I have a Craftsman 3.5 hp Eager 1 gas edger and a Stihl weedeater and blower/vac. I also have a Echo tiller a neighbor offloaded on me over the winter that won't start but I haven't tinkered with it yet.
Looking forward to soaking in the knowledge here. I'm not afraid to try my own repairs. My dad and I rebuilt my '65 Corvair (my first car) and I learned a lot about engines from him.
Gail

D

deckeda

Hi, ya'll. Owner of a classic Honda HR214 that seems to have picked up a really bad smoking habit. I've had the mower for about 14 years but it originally belonged to my inlaws. The father in law bought a new Honda and gifted this to me. I'm now a widow and the one responsible for the upkeep of the lawn equipment so came looking here.
Besides the Honda mower, I have a Craftsman 3.5 hp Eager 1 gas edger and a Stihl weedeater and blower/vac. I also have a Echo tiller a neighbor offloaded on me over the winter that won't start but I haven't tinkered with it yet.
Looking forward to soaking in the knowledge here. I'm not afraid to try my own repairs. My dad and I rebuilt my '65 Corvair (my first car) and I learned a lot about engines from him.
Gail

Hopefully others will chime in here, or you might ask specifically about the mower in a fresh thread. I suppose we could speculate about it burning oil ... never had an oil change, rings are shot, bad luck ... doesn't matter the reason I guess.

I would also suppose that if the rest of the mower is fine, perhaps a hurt donor mower could supply its GXV120 but the funds might be better spent going to a rebuild of yours. Or perhaps someone here can say if a GXV140 or GXV160 could be hot-rodded into the chassis.

D

dgail620

Thank you for your reply. I did start a new thread so hopefully will get some advice from a "been there, done that" veteran.
I was hot on the trail of a donor mower from Craigslist over the weekend but some lucky sap beat me to it. $100 and ran well little or no smoke but the lower self propelled setting didn't work. Probably an easy fix.
Rats, kicking myself for missing out on that.

C

CalgaryPT

Looking at the Honda HRX217HZC up here in Calgary. I am a big Honda fan with an EU2000i, an HSS520 single stage and a new HS724 ATC (tracked) two stage. Also Honda engines on my pressure washers.

I actually don't need a new lawn mower as I just rebuilt my Briggs L-head that's 25 years old and runs great. But my wife hates a pull start and so wants one with an electric start. I won't have anything but a Honda, so it is off to the dealer tomorrow I guess.

Do you guys like these machines?

Can you get a service manual for the HRX217HZC ? I like to understand how all my machines work.

Does anyone know the difference between the 2016 and 2017 HRX217HZC models? Thanks.

- Peter

robert@honda

robert@honda

Can you get a service manual for the HRX217HZC ? I like to understand how all my machines work.

Does anyone know the difference between the 2016 and 2017 HRX217HZC models? Thanks.

- Peter

Hard to get an actual Canadian-spec Honda shop manual. The good news is the USA-spec HRX is pretty much an identical mower, and you can get a USA-spec shop manual from Honda via eBay or Amazon:

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Honda mowers don't have model years like cars, but use a version code called a K-number to document running changes. You can see what K-number / version mower you have by looking at the serial number sticker on the rear of the deck; for your mower, it will be marked HRX217K_HZC where the blank is probably a 4 or 5. I doubt you have a K3 version, but as it is a Canada-spec machine, hard to know for sure.

The USA-spec of the HRX217HZA is at K5 version.

C

CalgaryPT

Hard to get an actual Canadian-spec Honda shop manual. The good news is the USA-spec HRX is pretty much an identical mower, and you can get a USA-spec shop manual from Honda via eBay or Amazon:

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Honda mowers don't have model years like cars, but use a version code called a K-number to document running changes. You can see what K-number / version mower you have by looking at the serial number sticker on the rear of the deck; for your mower, it will be marked HRX217K_HZC where the blank is probably a 4 or 5. I doubt you have a K3 version, but as it is a Canada-spec machine, hard to know for sure.

The USA-spec of the HRX217HZA is at K5 version.

As always...thanks Robert!

R

rgarbach

Hi Muhammad -- Blessings!

Looking forward to getting help installing handlebar on my HRX217HXA mower.

All the best!

G

graaar51

Checking in with my Honda Hrb216txa. Its been handed down to me with some issues so that is why I am here to learn from all of you!

J

Jbobsbbq

Honda Mower HRR216.jpg
HRR216 Purchased last year for my wife to replace the John Deere she'd been useing for 18 years. She required electric start.
Thinking about a tractor HT3813 or what I can find. :tractor:

Jbobsbbq

R

RoyalMaker

20190316_143655 (2).jpg
I bought a Honda HRX217VLA
it has the new GVC200 engine and electric start.
Self propelled.
I am enjoying this mower.

Attachments

S

Sparkland

Those mowers are not even available here in Colorado, yet. I am waiting for them to be available at the dealer, so I can get service on it later, if need be.

T

thejohnfist

New member, older mower.

Have a Toro with GCV160 ACS unit, approximately 10 years old. Love the thing. First actual problem with it this year.

O

OldManJared

Howdy folks. My name is Jared and I live just north of Seattle Washington. My wife and I bought our first house late 2017 on a nice little city lot just over 3000 sq. ft. Though most of our yard is flat, it is not even and level. Tried out a fishers reel mower and that didn’t work so well. Thankfully I did received a hand-me-down mower that was in its last leg and that got me through last season.

This past month I have been in search of a new mower. Thought of buying new but everything seemed to be more mower than I needed for my little yard. I needed something light weight because I need to be able to lug it up and down my tiered back yard. I considered a new Honda HRS216PKA because of it’s weight at a mere 64lbs. At a price difference of $10, I could have snagged a RWD, dual blade, bagger HRR216VKA, but that is considerably more weight.

I got looking at local ads and I picked up a used HR173 running with no bag, and a nice HR17 complete but needed a carb. After a few days of searching, I found the only carb on eBay, in Europe, and it is now in route.

Long story short; my chore just became a part time hobby. ?

If anyone has a bag for the HR173 let me know. See you all around the board.

Attachments

B

Bryan E.

Hello, My name is Bryan and I'm addicted to Honda yard machines. Ha ha. It started years ago getting a used HR214. I used it for over ten years, then gave it to my father after I bought a newer used almost brand new John Deere. It was ok but I always missed the old Honda. I found a HR215SXA needing a lot of love, and brought it home. New wheel/tires, blades, tune up, etc. and I was back mowing with a nice Honda again. Now I've found myself buying project Honda's and trying to learn more to get these restored.

One HR215HXA with a bent crankshaft that I plan to rebuild. I got a straight used crankshaft for this project to put in it. Not sure what else it will need but I'm enjoying learning more about how to work on these machines.

Thanks for all the great posts and help that I see here as I have learned much from reading old threads.

Bryan Enoch

G

gnewton

I have 2 honda masters series HR215's One is a SXA model with blade brake, the other with blade brake, and electric start, and hydrostatic transmission.

T

trippster

Hiya,

After much research, lurking, and a couple of posts I pulled the trigger on a HRX217HYA this weekend. I will get it out of the box and put it to work this Friday.

H

Hondaaep

My Name is HondaAEP for Honda Anna Engine Plant where Honda's automotive engines are built! I recently purchased a used Honda mower HRR2163VXA. I'm having some troubles with the Self-propelled, variable speed Smart Drive and I wanted to search here.

W

woodman5

Hello from the UK.

Just found this forum, and like what I have seen so far.

I have just treated myself to a new mower which is a Honda HRG536QXE 21" cut with a rear roller. Us Brits like our striped lawns!

Not sure if this mower is sold in the US so you may not be familiar with it.

Having inspected it thoroughly this afternoon I have discovered that the cutter height adjustment is via two levers as normal. One for the two front wheels and one for the roller at the rear.

Funny thing is the rear adjustment has five notches and the front has seven.

Why would you not have the same number for the front as the rear?

Seems very strange to me, and the dealer does not know either.

Do you wise people know the answer?

L

LMAN007

Hi, name is Larry and I will be buying a HRX217vka within the next 4 weeks. My buddy has one done the street and it cuts like no other mower. I do not want the blade stop nor electric start.:laughing:

H

HurstGN

Hi, my name is Dan, and it's been all spring since my HRX217TDA mower has started properly.

PUSH

PUSH

Free HR214SX

picked up this little brute HR214SX for Free from a friends dad that was sending it to the curb
runs great - carb leaks like a water fountain, so I haven't, had a chance to see if how it mows
Came with the Bag and Mulch plug in place = has not been started in years
I just added gas and boom - it started on the 4th pull

I have 5 mowers now all but one was a curb find
so do I keep the 30+ yr old honda?
might sell it as the parts for the 3 of the others are identical and cheap - Toro, Craftsman, Troybilt
plus that The toro recycler Rwd with key start for free is a beast

push

20190522_180729.jpg

T

tadawson

I'd keep that before any of the others. Carb fix should be trivial, and this is what evolved into the Honda commercial line - they live forever!

T

tranchinh

Re: Free HR214SX

picked up this little brute HR214SX for Free from a friends dad that was sending it to the curb
runs great - carb leaks like a water fountain, so I haven't, had a chance to see if how it mows
Came with the Bag and Mulch plug in place = has not been started in years
I just added gas and boom - it started on the 4th pull

I have 5 mowers now all but one was a curb find
so do I keep the 30+ yr old honda?
might sell it as the parts for the 3 of the others are identical and cheap - Toro, Craftsman, Troybilt
plus that The toro recycler Rwd with key start for free is a beast

push

View attachment 44011

Just sell me the recycle plug ,HR214 not enough power to mulching anyway

macespejo

macespejo

Hi all,

Im new here and my mower's name is the "TANK". My mower is an old HRC2163HXA. You can see it on my avatar. I hope you guys can help me because I'm a newbie. I posted on the other thread about my issue on my mower.

Thank you and nice to mee you all.

PUSH

PUSH

I'd keep that before any of the others. Carb fix should be trivial, and this is what evolved into the Honda commercial line - they live forever!

Just bought a carb kit for it to fix it
I'm seriously impressed by the way its put together and the value$ of it even @ 30yrs old
as soon as I get it running I will do a side by side test Vs the Toro - the personal pace feature and speed of the toro are so far superior to any of the other mowers I have ever had but I've never had a Honda

PUSH

PUSH

Just sell me the recycle plug ,HR214 not enough power to mulching anyway
Is it really not enough power or that the plugs are rare $$$
I'll keep it together thanks

T

tranchinh

Is it really not enough power or that the plugs are rare $$$
I'll keep it together thanks

Its really not enough power,4 HP for mulching ,Its better wiyh HR215 5 HP or HR216 5.5 HP .And youre right its rare they sell around $100 for that plug

bran_hra216

bran_hra216

Hi
My name is Brandon. I have a large collection of mowers. My father owned a Honda Lawn Dealer for a long time.
I have several models
HR214 models - Electric start SXA, SXA, and PXA
HR215 HXA, SXA, and a Master series HXA
HR216 SXA
HRA214 SXA
HRC216 SXA
HRC216 K3 HXA

I also have Honda generators and trimmers

N

nondairycreamer

New guy here, one year old Toro/GCV160 from Lowe's. Great until this spring when the infamous up/down throttle (choke) ruined my day. Very annoying. It even died once. I thought it was bad gas but reading here it looks like I have another problem. Has anyone rigged a manual choke?

bobthewoodbutcher

bobthewoodbutcher

I'm not new to the site but I am new to the Honda forum. First rider was a snapper, too big and I could not raise the blde high enough. second was a really old Sears Murray and I got a lot of help from that forumThose are all gone and now I have a Honda Harmony 38"which I guess is part of the first year for that mower. The serial number is 6000453. I bought this one from a local repair shop and it is cleaned up and tuned up so I hope my wallet has stopped bleeding green.

L

loggerhead12

Greetings. What a friendly forum! You guys are serious mower junkies.

I have an HRC2163HXA that's about 10 years old. The kids have a mowing company and do 3-5 lawns a week.

P

pgtips

Hi,

I've got a HF1211 ride-on, great little mower

B

bertsmobile1

Greetings. What a friendly forum! You guys are serious mower junkies.

I have an HRC2163HXA that's about 10 years old. The kids have a mowing company and do 3-5 lawns a week.

Congratulations on a well brought up family.
I hope they have a back up mower