figuring out watts on a microwave

noma

Threads
Hi

Just wondering if i'm doing this right to figure out watts on a microwave with a 120 volts times 8.5 amps and that will give me 1020 watts ?Im i figuring that right, i was think if i had volt and amps i can get watt from those two.:frown:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi

Just wondering if i'm doing this right to figure out watts on a microwave with a 120 volts times 8.5 amps and that will give me 1020 watts ?Im i figuring that right, i was think if i had volt and amps i can get watt from those two.:frown:

...or just look for the sticker on the appliance that tells you the watts.......odd idea I know, when there's math to be had - but still.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi

Correct! Amps times volts= watts. Your answer may not be 100% acurate as your household voltage will vary somewatt :biggrin:. But I think that is close enough for your purposes.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Correct! Amps times volts= watts. Your answer may not be 100% acurate as your household voltage will vary somewatt :biggrin:. But I think that is close enough for your purposes.

That's cool - but would't the latency (the machine's consumption for converting AC into radio waves) consume some power as well? Like if the pure math gave 1020, would the actual power transmitted to the cooking area be more like 1000? (-20 watts for the machine itself)

Just curious......

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's cool - but would't the latency (the machine's consumption for converting AC into radio waves) consume some power as well? Like if the pure math gave 1020, would the actual power transmitted to the cooking area be more like 1000? (-20 watts for the machine itself)

Just curious......

Seems like that would have been considered in the power consumption calculation. But since I have no idea what your talking about I'll leave it at that. I didn't know the microwave had a radio:confused2: Did he say it had a radio? That night be convienent, listening to the radio while your pop corn pops. Wish I'd thought of that......

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems like that would have been considered in the power consumption calculation. But since I have no idea what your talking about I'll leave it at that. I didn't know the microwave had a radio:confused2: Did he say it had a radio? That night be convienent, listening to the radio while your pop corn pops. Wish I'd thought of that......

MicroWAVES are radio WAVES.....just a really different frequency...:smile: Too bad they can't tune in Mars........I hear they have some groovy tunes.....

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
MicroWAVES are radio WAVES.....just a really different frequency...:smile: Too bad they can't tune in Mars........I hear they have some groovy tunes.....

Twall, have you been using that pogo stick in your low ceilinged basement again.....???:laughing:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Twall, have you been using that pogo stick in your low ceilinged basement again.....???:laughing:

Nope - but some homebrew beers make me swear I can hear Martian tunes, if I listen really hard late at night - on the fringe of AM......

Everyone else says it's static........

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nope - but some homebrew beers make me swear I can hear Martian tunes, if I listen really hard late at night - on the fringe of AM......

Everyone else says it's static........

Are buying your hops from that short guy with the big nose, long hair and a beard, who lives under the bridge?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are buying your hops from that short guy with the big nose, long hair and a beard, who lives under the bridge?

You know him?

No, actually it was the "trolled malt extract".