Export thread

figuring out watts on a microwave

N

noma

Hi

Just wondering if i'm doing this right to figure out watts on a microwave with a 120 volts times 8.5 amps and that will give me 1020 watts ?Im i figuring that right, i was think if i had volt and amps i can get watt from those two.:frown:

twall

twall

Hi

Just wondering if i'm doing this right to figure out watts on a microwave with a 120 volts times 8.5 amps and that will give me 1020 watts ?Im i figuring that right, i was think if i had volt and amps i can get watt from those two.:frown:

...or just look for the sticker on the appliance that tells you the watts.......odd idea I know, when there's math to be had - but still.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Hi

Correct! Amps times volts= watts. Your answer may not be 100% acurate as your household voltage will vary somewatt :biggrin:. But I think that is close enough for your purposes.

twall

twall

Correct! Amps times volts= watts. Your answer may not be 100% acurate as your household voltage will vary somewatt :biggrin:. But I think that is close enough for your purposes.

That's cool - but would't the latency (the machine's consumption for converting AC into radio waves) consume some power as well? Like if the pure math gave 1020, would the actual power transmitted to the cooking area be more like 1000? (-20 watts for the machine itself)

Just curious......

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

That's cool - but would't the latency (the machine's consumption for converting AC into radio waves) consume some power as well? Like if the pure math gave 1020, would the actual power transmitted to the cooking area be more like 1000? (-20 watts for the machine itself)

Just curious......

Seems like that would have been considered in the power consumption calculation. But since I have no idea what your talking about I'll leave it at that. I didn't know the microwave had a radio:confused2: Did he say it had a radio? That night be convienent, listening to the radio while your pop corn pops. Wish I'd thought of that......

twall

twall

Seems like that would have been considered in the power consumption calculation. But since I have no idea what your talking about I'll leave it at that. I didn't know the microwave had a radio:confused2: Did he say it had a radio? That night be convienent, listening to the radio while your pop corn pops. Wish I'd thought of that......

MicroWAVES are radio WAVES.....just a really different frequency...:smile: Too bad they can't tune in Mars........I hear they have some groovy tunes.....

JDgreen

JDgreen

MicroWAVES are radio WAVES.....just a really different frequency...:smile: Too bad they can't tune in Mars........I hear they have some groovy tunes.....

Twall, have you been using that pogo stick in your low ceilinged basement again.....???:laughing:

twall

twall

Twall, have you been using that pogo stick in your low ceilinged basement again.....???:laughing:

Nope - but some homebrew beers make me swear I can hear Martian tunes, if I listen really hard late at night - on the fringe of AM......

Everyone else says it's static........

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Nope - but some homebrew beers make me swear I can hear Martian tunes, if I listen really hard late at night - on the fringe of AM......

Are buying your hops from that short guy with the big nose, long hair and a beard, who lives under the bridge?

twall

twall

Are buying your hops from that short guy with the big nose, long hair and a beard, who lives under the bridge?

You know him?

No, actually it was the "trolled malt extract".

JDgreen

JDgreen

How do you know it's Martian...could be Saturnus, or Neptunitus, or.....

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

You know him?QUOTE]

Where do you think I get my hops? Yep that's the guy. Hops make you smart!

JDgreen

JDgreen

You know him?QUOTE]

Where do you think I get my hops? Yep that's the guy. Hops make you smart!

For some reason you and Twall are making me think of those elfs that used to portray the Vernors Ginger Ale theme....

twall

twall

How do you know it's Martian...could be Saturnus, or Neptunitus, or.....

'Cause of the addresses given on the commercials. You know how HONEST ads are, don't you?

twall

twall

For some reason you and Twall are making me think of those elfs that used to portray the Vernors Ginger Ale theme....

SSSHHHHH! Or they shall be taxed more for their wares if they are for BEEEER!!!!!

I frequent the elfs, too. They are brewmasters extreme.

twall

twall

BTW - how did this thread get so far off track? :laughing:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

BTW - how did this thread get so far off track? :laughing:
You could say "off track" or you could say "more interesting". Either way, I'm if anybody asks I"m blaming you.
The Op got his answer, twice...so why not?

N

noma

Hi all

Thanks for clearing that up for me , that's what i thought was the way to figure out watts. And to the response that said to read the label on the appliance there was not one for watts,because if there was one i wouldn't had to figure it out this way .Thanks you Sorry i got you guys off track on this one.:wink:

JDgreen

JDgreen

Hi all

Thanks for clearing that up for me , that's what i thought was the way to figure out watts. And to the response that said to read the label on the appliance there was not one for watts,because if there was one i wouldn't had to figure it out this way .Thanks you Sorry i got you guys off track on this one.:wink:

Nah, no apology needed, I love the threads that go way off track those are the interesting ones. :thumbsup: