Fall Preparation

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hm, that's really interesting. I wonder why?

Haha, yeah, I see your point!

May people feel it is better to store a machine with fuel in it as the gasoline helps keep the gaskets in the fuel system from drying out. There are pros and cons to either draining or adding stabilizer.

My feelings are, for the price of gasoline today it should NOT BE REQUIRED to drain fuel or treat it with stabilizers because it should have a longer storage life than it does. I store about 15 gallons of gasoline and 12 of diesel over the winter months but I treat the gas with Sta-Bil and gas antifreeze. For $4 per gallon that should NOT BE REQUIRED.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I put mine in the shed (just like I do every weekend) and get it back out in 4-5 months.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I put mine in the shed (just like I do every weekend) and get it back out in 4-5 months.

That's what I plan to do also... but most of mine stay out almost all spring through fall... only put away for the winter.
Oil changed in the spring... fueled when needed and the only additive is for the diesel fuel... and that is to add 2 to 5 percent bioDiesel ...
gasoline has never failed to burn with nothing but what came from the pump... everything gets greased as it is used... filters changed once a year...
Mower blades sharpened at the start of the season, replaced as needed. May get at least one or two sharpenings During the mowing season.
I have a cub F model that has gasoline that is over 6 mts old, starts immediately, never a problem... Gas in my dump truck is a few Years old... isn't driven much, it will be another Year before it needs more... Battery goes dead between uses but it has not failed to start after a charge, regular pump gas.
I know gasoline will not last like Diesel but isn't too bad,
There just isn't a Lot of Fall preparation, Spring has more for me ...:smile:KennyV

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Over the years the main winter prep for my tractors ( back north) involved basically pulling the battery, draining the gas ,making sure the deck is clean of old grass , putting it in the shed and covering it with a old bed sheet.

In the spring, as Kenny V mentions, i do a full service on the tractors, charge the battery, fresh oil and gas, check it totally over, sharpen the blades then mid summer or so i do another full service, then before last mowing i do another oil change.

Down here in Florida, i just maintain em all year long actually, they only sit between mowings and rotation of use.....my tractors get to sit in one of those Auto shelters, i dont like them sitting outside under a tarp or uncovered.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Over the years the main winter prep for my tractors ( back north) involved basically pulling the battery, draining the gas ,making sure the deck is clean of old grass , putting it in the shed and covering it with a old bed sheet.

In the spring, as Kenny V mentions, i do a full service on the tractors, charge the battery, fresh oil and gas, check it totally over, sharpen the blades then mid summer or so i do another full service, then before last mowing i do another oil change.

Down here in Florida, i just maintain em all year long actually, they only sit between mowings and rotation of use.....my tractors get to sit in one of those Auto shelters, i dont like them sitting outside under a tarp or uncovered.

Many times I wish I was in your situation, it is somewhat of a PIB here in Michigan to have to store equipment, the deck furniture, get the vehicles ready for winter, swap tires, etc.

While I don't want to move I would much prefer being able to use things year around like you southern dwellers can.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

BTW, what's with the new avatar? Is that going to be your Halloween look? It scares me in the daytime....:laughing:

jamesslcx

Threads
I clean them thoroughly , spray under decks with rust preventer , take the batteries inside, put them in my building with a lot of moth balls sprinkled around them and hope for the best! I always use Sta-bil and Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel of all the mowers.:smile:

benski

Threads
I clean them thoroughly , spray under decks with rust preventer , take the batteries inside, put them in my building with a lot of moth balls sprinkled around them and hope for the best! I always use Sta-bil and Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel of all the mowers.:smile:

I am a proponent of leaving treated gas in a tank for the following reasons:
1. It's easy.
2.A carb will sometimes oxidize inside the small passageways, clogging up the works when it's exposed to 5 months worth of air.
3. If the "little darling" doesn't start up quickly, I can always feed the fuel to my truck, which doesn't seem to mind older, treated fuel, and put a fresh load of fuel in whatever weedeater, chainsaw, rototiller, rider, or walkbehind as needed.

jamesslcx

Threads
So far so good on my routine, it has been quite a while since I've had any repair issues, knock on wood!

cubcadet69

Forum Newbie
Threads
just try to keep inside,with ethanol in the gas it doesnt get bad in a few months.clean under the deck and spray with silicone.spend 5 or 6 bucks at harbor frt for a float charger and put it away