Electrical Problem: No Start

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most wiring diagrams have a chart that tells you what does what. Take a volt meter or test light and just start checking things. Your wires will be color coded. After reading you first post are you sure you don't just have a bad starter solenoid?

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most wiring diagrams have a chart that tells you what does what. Take a volt meter or test light and just start checking things. Your wires will be color coded. After reading you first post are you sure you don't just have a bad starter solenoid?

I can jump the starter by touching the hot post on the solonoid. I'm getting getting 12v everything. If I had to doubt anything it would be the PTO switch. I was getting jumpy 12v readings on it.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I also have no spark at the plugs or coil(s). i do have compression though.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Replaced PTO switch still nothing when turning key.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like you have multiple switch problems. 1 safety switch that should be closed to let voltage get to the start solenoid is open and 1 switch that should be open so you have spark at the plug is closed and shorting out the coil out preventing a spark.:confused2:.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
The clutch pedal switch is bypassed butt connected together. I'm getting voltage at the ignition switch. The seat switch is disconnected but I dont need to start it. The only other switch would be the headlight switch. Tractor is neutral also.

The previous owner said they had trouble keeping it running last year til it wouldnt start at all with the key. So they replaced the starter solonoid.

I was using this wiring diagram from this model 917.255915 since sears dont have a listing for the 255914.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Turn the key switch to the on position and then jump the small terminal on the solenoid. If the engine starts you are loosing power between the switch and solenoid. There are three safety switches on that unit. One on the seat. One on the PTO. One one the brake pedal. And possibly one connected in the shifting or hydro controls.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Turn the key switch to the on position and then jump the small terminal on the solenoid. If the engine starts you are loosing power between the switch and solenoid. There are three safety switches on that unit. One on the seat. One on the PTO. One one the brake pedal. And possibly one connected in the shifting or hydro controls.

Done that. 12v at key switch and pto switch with key on and off. I posted the same question on another mower forum but sure were allowed to post link to it though.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Turn the key switch to the on or run position. Take a wire and jump from battery positive to the small terminal on the solenoid. The engine should turn over. If it turns over and does not starter check to see if you have spark. If the engine does not turn over replace the solenoid.