Export thread

Electrical Problem: No Start

davbell22602

davbell22602

917.255914 18hp L-head twin horizontal shaft

I can jump it at the starter or the hot post on the solonoid and will turn engine over. But when I use key it wont turn engine over. The clutch switch is bypassed/spliced together. I cleaned green stuff of the key switch and rusty terminals on the PTO switch. Then still nothing when hitting the key.

reynoldston

reynoldston

are you sure you are bypassing the switch by spliceing it together. you will find switches work two ways called open or closed. On a lot of switches you will find to by pass them you want them open.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I dont know. I got this mower for free with this issue. I found that someone spliced the clutch switch together and also cut the seat switch but not spliced together.

K

KennyV

It sounds like all the interlocks are disabled anyway... so just run a New wire from the start terminal on the key switch Directly to the starter solenoid small terminal....

If You have 12 volts on the key switch start terminal when in the start position It Will work... if no 12 volts there, the key switch is likely bad OR you do not have 12 volts supplied to the Key Switch.... :smile:KennyV

davbell22602

davbell22602

It sounds like all the interlocks are disabled anyway... so just run a New wire from the start terminal on the key switch Directly to the starter solenoid small terminal....

If You have 12 volts on the key switch start terminal when in the start position It Will work... if no 12 volts there, the key switch is likely bad OR you do not have 12 volts supplied to the Key Switch.... :smile:KennyV

I got 12 volts on the key switch when turned. I found green stuff around the terminals on the key switch and rusty terminals on the PTO switch. Cleaned them both up but had no changes. Thinking on replacing both switches and battery cables.

K

KennyV

If it is green on the outside... it's likely green on the inside... You should be able to check them with an ohm meter.... but from the description you may as well replace them.... :smile:KennyV

davbell22602

davbell22602

I replaced the key switch and had no change. So I put the old back on til get new PTO switch and replace battery cables.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I replaced the key switch and had no change. So I put the old back on til get new PTO switch and replace battery cables.

Sure sounds to me like you are just changing parts till you find the problem. To bad you don't have a wiring diagram. With this you know how the circuits work and what to look for.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Sure sounds to me like you are just changing parts till you find the problem. To bad you don't have a wiring diagram. With this you know how the circuits work and what to look for.

I got a wiring diagram but not for this model. Sears doesnt have a manual for this model. I did find one off this model and it has the seat switch in the wiring too. 917.255915

K

KennyV

Have you checked any of the switches or wiring ... With an Ohm meter?... It not only saves time, But also money.
:smile:KennyV

reynoldston

reynoldston

Most wiring diagrams have a chart that tells you what does what. Take a volt meter or test light and just start checking things. Your wires will be color coded. After reading you first post are you sure you don't just have a bad starter solenoid?

davbell22602

davbell22602

Most wiring diagrams have a chart that tells you what does what. Take a volt meter or test light and just start checking things. Your wires will be color coded. After reading you first post are you sure you don't just have a bad starter solenoid?

I can jump the starter by touching the hot post on the solonoid. I'm getting getting 12v everything. If I had to doubt anything it would be the PTO switch. I was getting jumpy 12v readings on it.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I also have no spark at the plugs or coil(s). i do have compression though.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Replaced PTO switch still nothing when turning key.

bakerg

bakerg

Sounds like you have multiple switch problems. 1 safety switch that should be closed to let voltage get to the start solenoid is open and 1 switch that should be open so you have spark at the plug is closed and shorting out the coil out preventing a spark.:confused2:.

davbell22602

davbell22602

The clutch pedal switch is bypassed butt connected together. I'm getting voltage at the ignition switch. The seat switch is disconnected but I dont need to start it. The only other switch would be the headlight switch. Tractor is neutral also.

The previous owner said they had trouble keeping it running last year til it wouldnt start at all with the key. So they replaced the starter solonoid.

I was using this wiring diagram from this model 917.255915 since sears dont have a listing for the 255914.

R

Rivets

Turn the key switch to the on position and then jump the small terminal on the solenoid. If the engine starts you are loosing power between the switch and solenoid. There are three safety switches on that unit. One on the seat. One on the PTO. One one the brake pedal. And possibly one connected in the shifting or hydro controls.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Turn the key switch to the on position and then jump the small terminal on the solenoid. If the engine starts you are loosing power between the switch and solenoid. There are three safety switches on that unit. One on the seat. One on the PTO. One one the brake pedal. And possibly one connected in the shifting or hydro controls.

Done that. 12v at key switch and pto switch with key on and off. I posted the same question on another mower forum but sure were allowed to post link to it though.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Any other suggestions?

R

Rivets

Turn the key switch to the on or run position. Take a wire and jump from battery positive to the small terminal on the solenoid. The engine should turn over. If it turns over and does not starter check to see if you have spark. If the engine does not turn over replace the solenoid.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Turn the key switch to the on or run position. Take a wire and jump from battery positive to the small terminal on the solenoid. The engine should turn over. If it turns over and does not starter check to see if you have spark. If the engine does not turn over replace the solenoid.

I already done that. No good. I can jump the starter from battery with jumper cables and from the solonoid with jumper cables. I got no spark with what spark plugs are in there that I havent pulled yet.

R

Rivets

Are you telling me that the starter does not spin when you put 12V to the SMALL TERMINAL on the solenoid?

davbell22602

davbell22602

Are you telling me that the starter does not spin when you put 12V to the SMALL TERMINAL on the solenoid?

Isnt that small wire a ground? I'll double check jumper wire from to small ground wire.

R

Rivets

No, that small terminal needs 12V to make the solenoid work. It is not a ground. You said early that there were only three terminals on the solenoid. One large one from the battery, one large one to the starter and one small one. The small one is the one I want you to put 12V to.