Echo was working but suddenly no more

juntjoo

Threads
Thanks for all your replies. Even from @Rivets but I'm going to look at yours separately as your a whole other conversation...

Trimmer is old. But I've replaced the carb and associated parts.

I've tried with three plugs and one new, two older.

The "spark arrester screen"? If that's the thing on the muffler I took it off years ago.

The grommet, though new plus fuel lines a month ago or so. I can turn it upside down to replace the string and it won't leak. But I think I've seen some moisture around still. I think ALL the aftermarket carbs grommet don't fit perfect. Idk. It's just not starting. I'd imagine it would start but then struggle if it were related to the grommet tank or lines no?

The bulb works fine and it's new and I've been testing without an air filter.

I see spark of but I've never known how to judge it if it might not be strong enough. But I'm guessing the new plug is good enough.

I've tried squirting carb cleaner in there and even directly into the cylinder through plug hole. Doesn't this inability to start narrow the possible culprits down a lot?

The adjustment screw in the back goes 270 degrees. I've tried both extremes and I just keep it in the middle now as that was where it seemed to be best when it was working.

The diaphragm seems good to me. One vid showed how it becomes brittle when old. Mine seems to float up and down easy. What would it need to do in order just to get the trimmer to start?

Both gaskets seem fine. I'm going to give the whole thing a good cleaning though and keep testing and check where it leaks first.

Is it a no-no to operate these upside down? That's how I do my edging. Is that how I'm getting gas/oil all over it?

@Rivets said echo uses 50:1 mixture. Oops, I think I just followed the instructions on the bottle and did way more like 16:1...so I just flushed carb out with straight 90 gas and put some in the tank JUST to try to get it started then I'll add oil. No luck.

It's a PAS 225. I thought they were all that or otherwise they work basically the same

I don't feel like what info I'm missing currently is dependent on the serial number unless you guys tell me how. Like, what have I not down yet that the serial number would reveal to me? My questions are based on ignorance of general operation mostly until you tell me otherwise.

@StarTech just informed of another adjustment screw on the "zama". Well this is what I got:

Many good reviews. I try to get good quality without breaking the bank

Is it a "timing" issue? Is there a pro tech manual on the dark web somewhere to download?

Okay I'll be back ...

juntjoo

Threads
Jootjun, you need every piece of help you can get, so as a retired instructor, I’m going to provide you with all the info I’d give to my students so they will understand the theory on how a carburetor works. After you read and hopefully understand this material, you will then be in a position to start putting this theory into practice. Until that time you can make assumptions and point out what I do in may spare time, but make sure you can back up your statements. If you can’t back up your statements, you are just the new kid in my class trying to prove what you don’t know. Happy reading. Star, I desperately need that part number.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm an ASS-umer. And it takes me a while to figure things out and I don't take spoon feeding. So I assume things til I learn for sure if I'm right or not. And yes I do need a lot of help and I'm 48 in a few months so thanks Dad. I WILL BE ABLE ask dumb questions though. I can't study this stuff as as you may have guessed I struggle elsewhere in life where things are a lot more important than the height of my grass

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Woodstover, I’m glad someone understands that you need to know what you’re working on before they dive in. Not knowing what should be going on, or understanding how things work, is what gets many members in big trouble.
Jootjun, you may not know this, but there are over 100,000 different models of small engines. Echo alone has over 1000 different configurations. That is the reason the techs everywhere ask for model and serial numbers. We need them when trying to help solve problems. Your attitude and unwillingness to help your cause is your biggest problem. We ask questions and point out what we see, because we are miles away and most of our crystal balls have become snow globes. Your replies to my posts show me your immaturity on both the mechanics level and as a person in general. I believe that they are inappropriate to anyone and not a way to get help. If you really want help I suggest you re-examine yourself and the way you deal with answers to your questions. I’ve always told people that if you may not like the answer, don’t ask the question. Finally, people in this industry will tell you that when you are troubleshooting problems, making assumptions is your worst enemy. Sometimes knowing nothing is better than assuming you know a little. Read the instructions I posted, they are very helpful for everyone, even me as I have them because I have to refer to them more often than most people would think.

juntjoo

Threads

Please check it out. I think we're looking at a leaking piston no?

juntjoo

Threads
Woodstover, I’m glad someone understands that you need to know what you’re working on before they dive in. Not knowing what should be going on, or understanding how things work, is what gets many members in big trouble.
Jootjun, you may not know this, but there are over 100,000 different models of small engines. Echo alone has over 1000 different configurations. That is the reason the techs everywhere ask for model and serial numbers. We need them when trying to help solve problems. Your attitude and unwillingness to help your cause is your biggest problem. We ask questions and point out what we see, because we are miles away and most of our crystal balls have become snow globes. Your replies to my posts show me your immaturity on both the mechanics level and as a person in general. I believe that they are inappropriate to anyone and not a way to get help. If you really want help I suggest you re-examine yourself and the way you deal with answers to your questions. I’ve always told people that if you may not like the answer, don’t ask the question. Finally, people in this industry will tell you that when you are troubleshooting problems, making assumptions is your worst enemy. Sometimes knowing nothing is better than assuming you know a little. Read the instructions I posted, they are very helpful for everyone, even me as I have them because I have to refer to them more often than most people would think.
I have been and continue to be willing to provide all the necessary information to get help and THEN SOME.

I learn by using my mind first foremost and last, being stupid and breaking things. Not following the orders of false authorities.

I blew up my first mowers engine and also my truck's. Now I REALLY know how important it is to keep an engine properly lubed. And I'm STILL not afraid to blow something else up by being stupid.

I'm not afraid of "getting in trouble" or of you judging me for it lol.

You're scared of breaking rules. I'm not. I know what I know from experience not blindly following people who claim superiority over me.

When "experts" talk I don't get scared and bow.

You can't homogenize me rivets. I'll never take the jab

And your opinion of my maturity level is as relevant to the post as your ego.

And I like answers to the questions I ASK ..and I even like your irrelevant comments for psychological study

You have mechanical knowledge over me. You can pat yourself on the back for that. As far as the rest let's try to keep on topic

Again I sincerely appreciate the help though and will be taking a look ...

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 1st spark plug pic looks like the porcelain has a hair line crack in it...
Looks like to me.

woodstover

Threads
I have been and continue to be willing to provide all the necessary information to get help and THEN SOME.

I learn by using my mind first foremost and last, being stupid and breaking things. Not following the orders of false authorities.

I blew up my first mowers engine and also my truck's. Now I REALLY know how important it is to keep an engine properly lubed. And I'm STILL not afraid to blow something else up by being stupid.

I'm not afraid of "getting in trouble" or of you judging me for it lol.

You're scared of breaking rules. I'm not. I know what I know from experience not blindly following people who claim superiority over me.

When "experts" talk I don't get scared and bow.

You can't homogenize me rivets. I'll never take the jab

And your opinion of my maturity level is as relevant to the post as your ego.

And I like answers to the questions I ASK ..and I even like your irrelevant comments for psychological study

You have mechanical knowledge over me. You can pat yourself on the back for that. As far as the rest let's try to keep on topic

Again I sincerely appreciate the help though and will be taking a look ...

juntjoo

Threads
The 1st spark plug pic looks like the porcelain has a hair line crack in it...
Looks like to me.
Well I tried with a couple plugs, one new. Check the vid above a couple posts. I got fuel/oil coming out of the exhaust. Doesn't that mean there's a major issue with the piston? I've never dealt with oil coming out of the exhaust of a 2 stroke, so not sure what that means

woodstover

Threads
Juntjoo:

I honestly don't know why Rivets is wasting his time with you. Your arrogance and ignorance is deplorable on a site meant to help people. This is not a site to educate you in small engine repair, it's for people that either have some mechanical knowledge or when they find out that it's "out of their league" to either take it to a repair shop for fix'in or toss it and buy a new one. Boasting about your "blow-ups" is not gonna gain you any respect here.

Asking for make, model, serial # and other information that has been requested is to fine tune the responses of the people that reply to you. Why should they waste their time spit balling at an unknown item. Knowing this information is valuable to both you and the people that reply. The benefit of experience can not be over stated and these people have a wealth of information on specific make and model idiosyncrasies that is only gained with years of experience.

But, Mr. Know-it-all, since you feel that you've covered all the troubleshooting bases so far, the next steps would be to vacuum test and pressure test the crank case. I will not lead you through the process or the benefits of these tests. I suggest you research on why it's necessary and get to it.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Boys, lets act like men....

Have you taken the muffler off and inspected the cylinder to be sure there is no scoring of the piston or cylinder wall?