Driving at night

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah it is ridiculous that's the reason I let the guys at Ford take care of my stuff and keep my vehicles under warranty. You did all that to replace an alternator and how long did it take? Multiple your time/hours by $80 plus parts for a dealer to do the job out of warranty. The days of the shade tree mechanic are numbered.

3.5 hrs so not terribly long but still. I could Chang the alt in my jeep in 30 mins

X-man

Threads
I love how this became a BMW thread. :laughing:

I know nothing about that car. I just have my 96 Taurus :biggrin:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
@Exotion: that is bad! I am glad to have an older truck. Cars are now rolling computers.

I still let a shop take care of my truck. I don't always have time nor the room since my truck is too long for the garage. He charges 50$/hour and is very good.

Michael72

Threads
I feel like ranting about something stupid for a minute, so don't mind me, lol.

Now that it's winter, I've been finding myself driving at night a lot more often.... And getting blinded by a**holes who forget how to turn their brights off.

My eyes are sensitive to light, so to me it's bad enough passing someone with low beams on. But when I'm passing someone with badly adjusted lights or with their high beams on......

GGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRAAAAHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

That's my rant of the day :)

Try all that with one working eye and short sighted in the other x full beams... not a good combo :smile:.....night time driving is no no for me if at all possible!

bt3

Threads
Just did a long night drive from 3 AM to 7 AM in total darkness and no moon. Some heavy fog and some Ice Fog. Luckily, I made it without any incident.

The things that are critical we all know. Clean headlights, clear windshield, decent wipers, good defroster (in winter), washing fluid, and COFFEE to keep you awake. ;)

Luckily, my car has headlamp squirters that engage when you have the headlights on and you hit the windshield washers. My wipers are new and I cleaned the inside of the windshield with Windex the night before. Sometimes you get a film on the inside that you can't see during daylight but it comes out and haunts you at night. My car also has HID (High Intensity Discharge) Xenon headlamps so it's very good at night even with low beams. I did run the FOG lamps this trip as I needed them in parts of the drive.

Did not see any Deer this trip. Usually in the wee hours of the night when morning is approaching, you can spot deer near the highway. Not this time.

I am not a fan of HID Xenon lamps coming toward you. But I have to say, if you have a car with them and do a lot of night driving, they are great. You don't feel the need (or at least I don't feel the need) to engage high beams with Xenon lamps. But... they are EXPENSIVE to replace. I had a scare last year when one failed and the quote for a new one shocked me. But... it suddenly started working again and has been working ever since. Crossing my fingers and my wallet.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just did a long night drive from 3 AM to 7 AM in total darkness and no moon. Some heavy fog and some Ice Fog. Luckily, I made it without any incident.

The things that are critical we all know. Clean headlights, clear windshield, decent wipers, good defroster (in winter), washing fluid, and COFFEE to keep you awake. ;)

Luckily, my car has headlamp squirters that engage when you have the headlights on and you hit the windshield washers. My wipers are new and I cleaned the inside of the windshield with Windex the night before. Sometimes you get a film on the inside that you can't see during daylight but it comes out and haunts you at night. My car also has HID (High Intensity Discharge) Xenon headlamps so it's very good at night even with low beams. I did run the FOG lamps this trip as I needed them in parts of the drive.

Did not see any Deer this trip. Usually in the wee hours of the night when morning is approaching, you can spot deer near the highway. Not this time.

I am not a fan of HID Xenon lamps coming toward you. But I have to say, if you have a car with them and do a lot of night driving, they are great. You don't feel the need (or at least I don't feel the need) to engage high beams with Xenon lamps. But... they are EXPENSIVE to replace. I had a scare last year when one failed and the quote for a new one shocked me. But... it suddenly started working again and has been working ever since. Crossing my fingers and my wallet.

You got that one right. HID are nice! But, not for others. I get mine for cheap. All tho, they are not OEM. Just some cheap China bulbs on Ebay.