Dead Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDHS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Time for electrical troubleshooting. Here is the procedure I use, but others do it in other ways.
Electrical problems can be very easy or very difficult, depending on four things.

1. How well you understand basic electricity.
2. What tools you have and know how to use.
3. How well you follow directions.
4. You don't overlook or assume anything and verify everything.

Remember we cannot see what you are doing. You are our eyes, ears and fingers in solving this problem. You must be as accurate as you can when you report back. The two basic tools we will ask you to use are a test light and a multi-meter. If you have an assistant when going through these tests it would be very helpful. These steps work the best when done in order, so please don't jump around. Now let's solve this problem.

First, check the fuse(s), check battery connections for corrosion (clean if necessary) and voltage - above 12.5 volts should be good. Check and make sure the chassis ground is clean and tight.
Second, check for power from the battery to one of the large terminals on the solenoid. One of the wires is connected directly to the battery and has power all the time so one of the large terminals should light a test light or show 12 volts on a meter at all times.
Third, check for power at the small terminal of the solenoid while depressing the clutch/brake pedal and holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). If your solenoid is a four wire solenoid, check both small wire terminals as one is ground and the other is power from the ignition switch. If your solenoid is a three wire solenoid, make sure the solenoid body is not corroded where it bolts to the chassis of the mower as this is your ground path back to the battery. If in doubt, remove the solenoid and clean the mounting area down to bare metal. If there is no power to the small terminal then your problem is most likely a safety switch, ignition switch or in the wiring.
Fourth, check for power on the other large terminal of the solenoid while holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch).
Fifth, check for power at the starter while holding the key in the start position (assistant again).
Sixth, check your ground circuit back to the battery.

After you have gone through each of the above steps, let us know what happened when you did each step. At that point we will have great info to tell you how to proceed. Remember you are our eyes, ears, and fingers, so please be as accurate as possible.

Be as specific as possible with voltage readings as this will help diagnose your problem quicker. If you do not know how to perform the above checks, just ask and I will try to guide you through it. Youtube also has some videos and as you know a picture is worth a thousand words.
Rivet: That's a mighty fine troubleshooting guide and sound advice. I'm a retired Navy Aircraft Electrician, and - though I don't have lawn-mower-specific training - I completed multiple formal electrical training schools, classes, and courses and gained 20+ years of experience, and I understand electrical circuits, and I know very well that there are no (reliable) shortcuts in making sure they are intact and functional, This is especially so when maintaining aircraft, and it makes sense to me to apply the same principles to 'ground-hugging-machinery'. So I applaud your response to Tim. And I say that if that arrogant, ungrateful clown was even half as savvy as he proclaims himself to be, he would at least know how to spell the word 'brake' (instead of 'break') when referring to the brake switch. My oldest son is a Mechanical Engineer by degree, working as an Aeronautical Engineer. But when he has lawnmower problems, he turns to someone who knows what they're doing with lawnmowers - usually me.
Based on Tim's diatribe, I will never again think favorably of Allison Transmissions.

Last edited:

Law57

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you're talking about the fuse just off of the starter solenoid, checked it. It's good
You may be on to something - the PTO...
Any other ideas guys? Could it be the PTO engagement switch? I see some relays or something in there

You may be on to something... My small Kubota B2601 will not start if the PTO is engaged. The solenoid switch won't even click. Everything is dead, dead, dead. When I throw the lever to disengage the PTO - things are back to normal.

Just a personal story below - nothing on topic.

I learned the hard way last winter - long story. We had 26 inches of wet, heavy, snow. lots of trees down and tons of limbs. I was pulling someone out - a tree was across the road. So I shut the tractor off walked home to get my chain saw. Cleared the tree and the tractor was stone dead. Got my truck and tools - tested the battery, did everything I could think of... Called my brother - he has a B2301 and said his won't start if the PTO is engaged. Then I remembered that the hammer loop of my bibs had snagged on something when I climbed off of my tractor. Went back to it and disengaged the PTO an Voila!

The next day... had left the tractor on the road overnight - glad to get it home. My wheeler and plow were buried with wheels off the ground. My truck/plow was at the end of the driveway and wouldn't go into gear. I vaguely remembered something about the disengagement procedure of the rear locker. I looked it up in the manual and it worked. I used the truck to pull the wheeler out. Parked all three pieces, tractor, wheeler, and truck in the garage.

The first day, with everything stuck or dead I quit and was very discussed - good thing I don't drink. The second day everything was working again. I just parked everything in the garage and took a deep breath. The third day I finished plowing. What an ordeal!

Boomer49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Alright look ladies. I came to ya'll with an issue. After a week and a half of no help, I took my limited knowledge and went with what I knew. It's not a main power issue (you'd know that if you read my OP). There's 2 switches, and 2 relays that would cause the machine to shut off suddenly during operation if they failed. Switches are 10x more likely to fail. Both switches were old and ugly. Both switches were $15 on Amazon. Replaced, fixed, end of story. But for some reason that triggered all the sissies on this site and I caught all kinds off butthurt hell. I only mentioned my credentials when ya'll started attacking my intelligence. Ya'll sound like a bunch of fuckin Biden lovers 🤦‍♂️
Y'all were doing good, I was actually cheering you on, then you threw in a small dick comment. Oh yeah, pay attention to the correct spelling of the first word. All reflections on your 'intelligence'.

SamB

Threads
Rivet: That's a mighty fine troubleshooting guide and sound advice. I'm a retired Navy Aircraft Electrician, and - though I don't have lawn-mower-specific training - I completed multiple formal electrical training schools, classes, and courses and gained 20+ years of experience, and I understand electrical circuits, and I know very well that there are no (reliable) shortcuts in making sure they are intact and functional, This is especially so when maintaining aircraft, and it makes sense to me to apply the same principles to 'ground-hugging-machinery'. So I applaud your response to Tim. And I say that if that arrogant, ungrateful clown was even half as savvy as he proclaims himself to be, he would at least know how to spell the word 'brake' (instead of 'break') when referring to the brake switch. My oldest son is a Mechanical Engineer by degree, working as an Aeronautical Engineer. But when he has lawnmower problems, he turns to someone who knows what they're doing with lawnmowers - usually me.
Based on Tim's diatribe, I will never again think favorably of Allison Transmissions.
Just a thought,..but did you, perhaps, misspell the descriptive word for the OP? :)

Lilranch2001

Threads
Ya'll talk alot of shit for people who offered no help what so ever. The issue is fixed with minimal time, effort, and $$$ Go strut your tiny balls elsewhere.

FYI....your little lawnmower knowledge is cute and all. But I'm an Engineer at Allison Transmission. I literally design the worlds most advanced propulsion systems. I know you think you're smart, but in comparison, you don't know shit
I noticed you came to a forum to ASK for help…..

Seems to me like a soooper dooooper Allison engineer wouldn’t need any help at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.