D125 or D130

Howdy Doody

Threads
The reviews on the cub cadet deck is mostly with the timed deck. But every brand has the bad reviews with it.
I have found the cub deck to be strong. I have had to replace the spindles. But I take the blame for that as I hit things like bricks and a axe head.
Mine has the 19hp kohler single cyl.
It is a good engine plenty of power and no problems.

So I am assuming the newer model Cubs do not have the timed deck? I read a few specs online and noticed a few things too:

1 - John Deere D125 has a 12 gauge frame so better than some, not as good as others.

2 - The Cub has a 11 gauge and the front bumper and the rear hitch being 9 gauge. I think this is as good as the JD X series.

I really want to like the Cub, seems to be better on paper at least than the John Deere. Thicker frame, KW engine, bigger fuel tank, longer warranty... I also do not mind the front gas tank, I think if they are not going to give you a proper fuel gauge that this is as good as it gets with the sigh glass where you can actually see it when you are sitting on the mower. I also like the "woven" seat versus the plastic covered, plastic gets hot in the summer! Both however have the plastic hood which I am not crazy about either. I mow relatively slow ( try to make it last as much as possible!) and do not have bumps on my property so I do not see this things breaking unless I hit something.

Howdy Doody

Threads
So I am assuming the newer model Cubs do not have the timed deck? I read a few specs online and noticed a few things too:

1 - John Deere D125 has a 12 gauge frame so better than some, not as good as others.

2 - The Cub has a 11 gauge and the front bumper and the rear hitch being 9 gauge. I think this is as good as the JD X series.

I really want to like the Cub, seems to be better on paper at least than the John Deere. Thicker frame, KW engine, bigger fuel tank, longer warranty... I also do not mind the front gas tank, I think if they are not going to give you a proper fuel gauge that this is as good as it gets with the sigh glass where you can actually see it when you are sitting on the mower. I also like the "woven" seat versus the plastic covered, plastic gets hot in the summer! Both however have the plastic hood which I am not crazy about either. I mow relatively slow ( try to make it last as much as possible!) and do not have bumps on my property so I do not see this things breaking unless I hit something.

- Actually I miss quoted the spec on the frame of the Cub Cadet, webpage states "Heavy-duty 9-gauge steel frame rails"

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
So I am assuming the newer model Cubs do not have the timed deck? I read a few specs online and noticed a few things too: 1 - John Deere D125 has a 12 gauge frame so better than some, not as good as others. 2 - The Cub has a 11 gauge and the front bumper and the rear hitch being 9 gauge. I think this is as good as the JD X series. I really want to like the Cub, seems to be better on paper at least than the John Deere. Thicker frame, KW engine, bigger fuel tank, longer warranty... I also do not mind the front gas tank, I think if they are not going to give you a proper fuel gauge that this is as good as it gets with the sigh glass where you can actually see it when you are sitting on the mower. I also like the "woven" seat versus the plastic covered, plastic gets hot in the summer! Both however have the plastic hood which I am not crazy about either. I mow relatively slow ( try to make it last as much as possible!) and do not have bumps on my property so I do not see this things breaking unless I hit something.

Mine does not have the timed deck.
The hood is strong I have no cracks yet.
The frame has a lifetime warranty.
I also agree I like to see how much gas I have from sitting in the seat.
The seat is very comfortable but holds water if left in the rain.

I have the kohler engine and love it.

I abuse my mowers. I cut as fast as it will go.

Howdy Doody

Threads
Mine does not have the timed deck.
The hood is strong I have no cracks yet.
The frame has a lifetime warranty.
I also agree I like to see how much gas I have from sitting in the seat.
The seat is very comfortable but holds water if left in the rain.

I have the kohler engine and love it.

I abuse my mowers. I cut as fast as it will go.

I can see the seat doing this, but I never leave my equipment outside and would not mow in the rain either. Did they have the Kawasaki engine as an option when you purchased yours with a Kohler? If you purchased another mower, would you go with the KW engine, or would you stay with the Kohler since it has done good for you?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can see the seat doing this, but I never leave my equipment outside and would not mow in the rain either. Did they have the Kawasaki engine as an option when you purchased yours with a Kohler? If you purchased another mower, would you go with the KW engine, or would you stay with the Kohler since it has done good for you?

I would stick with the kohler. I can not justify the extra money for the kW engine.

With over 1000 hours in less then a year on the kohler I am happy with it.
Only had to adjust valves twice.
Still running the original spark plug.
Uses no oil. Running 10-30

With doing foreclosed houses there are times I have to cut in the rain. Even running mulching blades the deck does not clog.

For the past few years I buy a new mower.
This year I will try and get two years out of the cub.
I carry two mowers at all times.
My second one is a husqvarna yth2448
Been using this mower since new in 2007 with the briggs.
Out of the 100 or so mowers I have these two are my pick

fairw21611

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's my .02 cents on the issue.....

I have a John Deere X520 lawn tractor with the 54" deck that I bought new in July 2006. It now has almost 600 virtually trouble free hours on it. I keep the deck clean and lubed, blades sharpened, and oil, filters and coolant levels maintained properly. With just this simple maintenance, the X520 gives me a terrific cut - almost golf course quality...

I live on a 1.75 acre lot that is on a rather steep incline. The tractor also does a ton of other yard work chores around the property in addition to mowing.

I paid $6,500.00 for the machine when I bought it almost 8-years ago. The commercial yard services in our area charge about $75 per cutting for yards of my size.

$75/cutting x 20 cuttings per season (on average) = $1,500.00/year. $1,500/year x 8-years = $12,000.00. So by the end of this season my tractor will have paid for itself more that twice.

I say whatever works for you is your own best deal. In my case, my JD X520 has more than worked for me..... :smile:

Bill Fair
Hagerstown, MD

Howdy Doody

Threads
Here's my .02 cents on the issue.....

I have a John Deere X520 lawn tractor with the 54" deck that I bought new in July 2006. It now has almost 600 virtually trouble free hours on it. I keep the deck clean and lubed, blades sharpened, and oil, filters and coolant levels maintained properly. With just this simple maintenance, the X520 gives me a terrific cut - almost golf course quality...

I live on a 1.75 acre lot that is on a rather steep incline. The tractor also does a ton of other yard work chores around the property in addition to mowing.

I paid $6,500.00 for the machine when I bought it almost 8-years ago. The commercial yard services in our area charge about $75 per cutting for yards of my size.

$75/cutting x 20 cuttings per season (on average) = $1,500.00/year. $1,500/year x 8-years = $12,000.00. So by the end of this season my tractor will have paid for itself more that twice.

I say whatever works for you is your own best deal. In my case, my JD X520 has more than worked for me..... :smile:

Bill Fair
Hagerstown, MD

I can understand your math on the costs, however there are other costs that you did not include in your formula. Fuel costs, maintenance cost and more importantly your time. What is an hour of your time worth?

fairw21611

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can understand your math on the costs, however there are other costs that you did not include in your formula. Fuel costs, maintenance cost and more importantly your time. What is an hour of your time worth?

You're correct of course. I've probably spent $250-$300 on maintenance supplies (I do my own maintenance) and most likely $350-$400 on gas over those 600 hours. So figure worst case an additional $700.00 over 8 years.

I don't worry about my time because that's what the wife and I love to do in our spare time - our own gardening and yardwork. It gives us an additional sense of "pride-in-ownership" and we can take our time and do a much better job than the commercial guys who have to hurry from job to job in order to make a living. She mows with the tractor, I weed-eat and edge, we work together on other projects. That's just how we roll..... :thumbsup:

Bill

Howdy Doody

Threads
You're correct of course. I've probably spent $250-$300 on maintenance supplies (I do my own maintenance) and most likely $350-$400 on gas over those 600 hours. So figure worst case an additional $700.00 over 8 years.

I don't worry about my time because that's what the wife and I love to do in our spare time - our own gardening and yardwork. It gives us an additional sense of "pride-in-ownership" and we can take our time and do a much better job than the commercial guys who have to hurry from job to job in order to make a living. She mows with the tractor, I weed-eat and edge, we work together on other projects. That's just how we roll..... :thumbsup:

Bill

I agree with you, if you love doing it then your time is not worth mentioning. I also agree that the commercial guys never do as good of a job as one could do, but their job is making money and they have other costs included in their pricing. Insurance and equipment cost being only one of them. I wish I had 1.75 acres to mow!