Cub Cadet blowing fuses

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hate to ask this but could you have gotten the wrong switch or wired it wrong? Reason I say this is that there should be no current thru that wire while the engine is running. Many key switches look the same, but the terminals on the back of the switch are different.

bwestbrook

Threads
This is the same part number same terminals. I checked that first. But that's initially what I was thinking. Since one side of the fuse goes to the battery side of the solenoid and the other side goes to the key switch. So when the key switch springs back to the run position then the fuse should no longer have 12V on it. Right?

Threads
New key switch that I tried does the same thing. And the wires I had to change that were melted are now a heavier gauge wire.

By the way John, where are you from? I live close to some Higginbothams that are in the small engine business.
N.E Texas.

Kilgore Tx. no relation that I know of.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct. Pull the switch. A good switch should have the terminals labeled. M equals magneto S equals start B equals battery. Look on the terminals or the switch base. Would you send me the part number of the switch?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That should be a seven terminal switch used by MTD. Could be used on a Cub if it is built for them by MTD. Looking at the back of the switch with the angluar terminals up and the horizontal terminals down, here is the terminal ID's. Lower left = Magneto. Lower right = Battery. Second left = Starter. Second right = Accessory 1. Center = Lights. Angle left = Ground. Angle right = Accessory 2. You may not be using all of the terminals. Hope this helps.

bwestbrook

Threads
Yes that should be very helpful. I will get on that first thing in the morning. Thanks.