Critter picture tread,(post what you have)

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Florida anole
4-27-08009.jpg

One of our honeybees licking water off of a stone
beetongue23.jpg

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Eastern Hognose snake playing dead. He was released unharmed

IMG_5036.jpg

Bison

Threads
Nice pics Robert.:thumbsup:
Only other snakes here besides "garter snakes" are the two legged kind :wink:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice pics Robert.:thumbsup:
Only other snakes here besides "garter snakes" are the two legged kind :wink:

Thanks, I caught it Sunday. It was in the one of the sheds. Scared the u know what out of my girlfriend. She went out the window yelling "rattlesnake!".
As she was coming back in I was headed out with it in my right hand and she lost it again :biggrin:
I just let it go under the shed...I guess they are getting hard to find. They are protected in Canada, against the law to touch one.
They are also called "puff adder". They eat frogs and toads.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yesterday, while walking near a wooded are in the city I heard a noise and look over to see an empty 16oz Miller High life can making it's way across the leaf litter.
At first I thought I was the victim of a joke and someone had a string tied to this can as was pulling it along, but the can made a right and started heading right for me then stopped. Still unable to completely process what in the heck was going on I decided to take a close look and this is what I found.
It's a snake with it's head stuck in an empty beer can!
DSC00002.jpg

Not the best picture as I was climbing over limbs and trying to get the cell phone into camera mode with the sun shining on the view window.

I guess he really needed a drink I wonder if the can was unopened when he found it
I grabbed the snake and pushed his head in the can, bent the pop top to vertical and was able to remove him fairly easily.
DSC00003.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

I captured him and relocated him to my place. He is now my lead pest control officer....Rodent Division.

Bison

Threads
A lucky snake indeed,glad you could free it :thumbsup:
What kind of snake is it?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
A lucky snake indeed,glad you could free it :thumbsup:
What kind of snake is it?

We call it a Black Racer here. But I think some call it a Black rat snake or Black Snake. Very Common in these parts.

Bison

Threads
Poisonous??

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Poisonous??
He!! no! I stopped handling poisonous snakes 15 years ago. This one is a colubrid, a constrictor. Oh they will bite you, twice in the blink of an eye but no venom. They will make you bleed, and small chance of infection but that's it.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
A few weeks back I came upon an Anhinga (half bird half fish...google it!) with a serious problem. The bird had attached itself to a 30" length of rope. The fine synthetic fibers of the rope had bound to small teeth the bird has in it's bill to hold fish that it catches. I had to catch the bird to cut the rope loose and clear the birds teeth.
Trying to bold a wild bird and work a cell phone camera is no small feat, that's for sure.
This is an Anhinga......a very unhappy, pissed off bird here.

DSC00107.jpg

This is the rope
DSC00110.jpg

This is the bird after release. Seemed to be fine.
DSC00109.jpg

Believe it or not this is second one I have saved from the same fate. The first one took several days to catch and was nowhere near as feisty, but I think it survived.