Craftsman how to level the mower deck

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As the first responder you were told in the first response that the gauge wheels have nothing to do with the deck height or level

So I will repeat what what was written

The deck hangs of the mower
The wheels should not be in contact with the ground in normal mowing
They are there to prevent the blades witting the ground when you run over a bump or make a turn
They have nothing , nada , nill to do with the leveling of the deck
IS this clear now ?

The deck is leveled left right using the height adjusters on the hangers that hold the deck
On a good quality mower there will be one at each side usually on the rear hangers
Then the deck is leveled front to back using the front drag link

As for the forum server , yes it has a file size limit because disc space costs money
Most computer users have no idea about file formats & sizes
The server does not display PD file , just provides a down load link
I generally post text pages as a JPG so they display in the post

If you are posting using your phone then the server will see the file as being many times larger than it actually is because of the way phones save data
I have told people thousands of times that a phone is not a computer but they never seem to get it
Normally I would level the deck with the blades dead across the deck left right then do the front back with the blades directly ahead
Because the blades are aligned with the left in front of the right a properly leveled deck will have the left side of the left blade slightly lower than the right tip of the right blade when the deck has the correct attack angle ( slightly lower at the front )

Now because Craftsman's are now a house brand and build down to an even lower ticket price than they were when Sears owned the brand they have probably done the MTD cheap & Nasty trick of only putting one adjuster on the right rear deck hanger so they are trying to get you to set the deck level in one step by measuring the blades diagonally

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I’m linking to the Sears YouTube site for the leveling video.
Try to match your cutting height selector to the actual cutting height of the bottom of the blades.
The anti-scalp wheels is another matter. From what you have described, it sounds like one of the anti-scalp wheel bracket is bent.

Threads
QUESTIONS:

You state:

"The deck is leveled left right using the height adjusters on the hangers that hold the deck

This is not what the manual says:

(1) p. 12 never uses the term "height adjustors". So, please use the terminology the mfr. uses, or explain fully what the terms you use mean.

(2) You state:
"On a good quality mower there will be one at each side usually on the rear hangers
"Rear hangers are never mentioned in the manual". The manual says NOTHING about rear hangers. It is

(3) You state "Then the deck is leveled front to back using the front drag link". I do not know what the "front drag link" is, nor is this term used in the manual. Please explain.

(4) As I quote you below: You have assumed that I am posting via my cell phone. I'm NOT. I'm on my computer & don't use my cell phone for any of this.

"As for the forum server , yes it has a file size limit because disc space costs money
I generally post text pages as a JPG so they display in the post.....If you are posting using your phone then the server will see the file as being many times larger than it actually is because of the way phones save data
I have told people thousands of times that a phone is not a computer but they never seem to get it"

So all you state here is not applicable to my posts. My pages from the manual I downloaded to my computer in MB, which use a SMALL amount of space. So, there is a problem w/the site not accepting them, stating they are "too large."

(5) Manual p. 23 discusses TO LEVEL MOWER & PRECISION SIDE-TO-SIDE ADJUSTMENT. And in doing so, it talks about "Loosen jam nut "A" first - "Tighten adjust nut "B" to raise mower. - Loosen adjust nut "B" to lower mower." You don't address any of this at all. I find manual's instructions very scant & skimpy, far from explanatory enough for a non-professional mechanic to understand and accomplish in an "Operator's Manual" intended for the homeowner.

Normally I would level the deck with the blades dead across the deck left right then do the front back with the blades directly ahead
Because the blades are aligned with the left in front of the right a properly leveled deck will have the left side of the left blade slightly lower than the right tip of the right blade when the deck has the correct attack angle ( slightly lower at the front )

Threads
As the first responder you were told in the first response that the gauge wheels have nothing to do with the deck height or level

They are there to prevent the blades witting the ground when you run over a bump or make a turn
IS this clear now ?

The deck is leveled left right using the height adjusters on the hangers that hold the deck
On a good quality mower there will be one at each side usually on the rear hangers

As for the forum server , yes it has a file size limit because disc space costs money

If you are posting using your phone then the server will see the file as being many times larger than it actually is because of the way phones save data
I have told people thousands of times that a phone is not a computer but they never seem to get it

Now because Craftsman's are now a house brand and build down to an even lower ticket price than they were when Sears owned the brand they have probably done the MTD cheap & Nasty trick of only putting one adjuster on the right rear deck hanger so they are trying to get you to set the deck level in one step by measuring the blades diagonally
QUESTIONS:

You state:

"The deck is leveled left right using the height adjusters on the hangers that hold the deck

(1) p. 12 never uses the term "height adjustors". So, please use the terminology the mfr. uses, or explain fully what the terms you use mean.

(2) You state:
"On a good quality mower there will be one at each side usually on the rear hangers
"Rear hangers are never mentioned in the manual". The manual says NOTHING about rear hangers. It is

(3) You state "Then the deck is leveled front to back using the front drag link". I do not know what the "front drag link" is, nor is this term used in the manual. Please explain.

(4) As I quote you below: You have assumed that I am posting via my cell phone. I'm NOT. I'm on my computer & don't use my cell phone for any of this.

"As for the forum server , yes it has a file size limit because disc space costs money
I generally post text pages as a JPG so they display in the post.....If you are posting using your phone then the server will see the file as being many times larger than it actually is because of the way phones save data
I have told people thousands of times that a phone is not a computer but they never seem to get it"

So all you state here is not applicable to my posts. My pages from the manual I downloaded to my computer in MB, which use a SMALL amount of space. So, there is a problem w/the site not accepting them, stating they are "too large."

(5) Manual p. 23 discusses TO LEVEL MOWER & PRECISION SIDE-TO-SIDE ADJUSTMENT. And in doing so, it talks about "Loosen jam nut "A" first - "Tighten adjust nut "B" to raise mower. - Loosen adjust nut "B" to lower mower." You don't address any of this at all. I find manual's instructions very scant & skimpy, far from explanatory enough for a non-professional mechanic to understand and accomplish in an "Operator's Manual" intended for the homeowner.

(6) Not certain this follows the manual, so what you state is not clear to my understanding.
'Normally I would level the deck with the blades dead across the deck left right then do the front back with the blades directly ahead
Because the blades are aligned with the left in front of the right a properly leveled deck will have the left side of the left blade slightly lower than the right tip of the right blade when the deck has the correct attack angle ( slightly lower at the front )"

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
AYP/Husqvarna blade on twin blade models are not pretty level with each. One is usually about the thickness of the other factory blade lower. MTD are dead level across the blades. This lower blade does not affect the cutting level as it is usually compensated by the forward deck tilt.

Depending on the type and how you cut your grass this can be noticeable or not. Here just last week I had a MTD deck that was level but this appear cut higher on the left because LF tire pressing down the grass and the deck suction was standing the grass enough to it at the correct height. Now the gras was about 5" and I was knocking it down to 2.75" inches.

Threads

IS this clear now ?

QUESTIONS:

You state:

(2) You state:

Threads
I’m linking to the Sears YouTube site for the leveling video.
Try to match your cutting height selector to the actual cutting height of the bottom of the blades.
The anti-scalp wheels is another matter. From what you have described, it sounds like one of the anti-scalp wheel bracket is bent.
The anti-scalp wheel bracket is not bent. However, it seems like one is a bit shorter than the other one, which could account for trying to put both wheels in the same slot (as manual states should be done) is not possible, because the shorter bracket hits up against the deck.

I believe I had a Craftsman mechanic when this was under warranty adjust the wheels, but he obviously had them in different holes, and they had enough clearance to not push right up to the side of the deck. That mechanic, per my memory, did not adjust the deck even on both sides, and did not do the other blade height adjustments.

OldDiyer

Threads
It looks to me that you are here to start a fight instead of getting the help you are asking for. I have been on this site for a while and when I ask questions, I don't start a fight if the answers aren't what I think they should be to me, but I will take the suggestions from people that are doing the repairs on these unit's day in and day out. Sometimes they may differ with what they think but I use the information and draw my own conclusions most of the time they are all pretty close to saying the same thing it's just how the explain it. Another thing that is hard is that these people giving you free help and knowledge are not standing next to you so aren't seeing what you see but are still trying to get you to where you want to be.
If you use a desktop or lap top computer, go to YouTube and look up how to downsize photos and use it any time you post online, I use 800x800 and seems to be fine and the pictures come out fine so I would think print would work out fine even if you had to size them a bit smaller.
As to your last post you say you HAD a Craftsman mechanic well you had a bunch of mechanics trying to do you right with information to help you here as well. Maybe you pissed off the other guy to and that's why he's not your guy anymore.
If you don't feel the people here are Helping move on to some other site and ask there someone else may solve your problem better to your liking.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
It looks to me that you are here to start a fight instead of getting the help you are asking for. I have been on this site for a while and when I ask questions, I don't start a fight if the answers aren't what I think they should be to me, but I will take the suggestions from people that are doing the repairs on these unit's day in and day out. Sometimes they may differ with what they think but I use the information and draw my own conclusions most of the time they are all pretty close to saying the same thing it's just how the explain it. Another thing that is hard is that these people giving you free help and knowledge are not standing next to you so aren't seeing what you see but are still trying to get you to where you want to be.
If you use a desktop or lap top computer, go to YouTube and look up how to downsize photos and use it any time you post online, I use 800x800 and seems to be fine and the pictures come out fine so I would think print would work out fine even if you had to size them a bit smaller.
As to your last post you say you HAD a Craftsman mechanic well you had a bunch of mechanics trying to do you right with information to help you here as well. Maybe you pissed off the other guy to and that's why he's not your guy anymore.
If you don't feel the people here are Helping move on to some other site and ask there someone else may solve your problem better to your liking.
CraftsmanFlaws-you are a right fighter. Just try to follow basic instructions and use some gratitude and humility, and it will all work out in the end. Most riding mower decks have no ability to even cut at 4”, much less what you stated. Grab a tape measure, listen, and do it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We are dealing with at least 5+ year old mower. Owners manual printed in 2017.

Sounding like we have a perfectionist that can't accept some mowers do have design limits. Yes on some Craftsman mowers the bottom hole of the gauge wheel were unusable due the gauge wheel diameter. Also over time impacts on the gauge wheels will bend the deck housing. Decks also get twisted over time which will cause problems. All you can do is adjust for the best level; unless, they want a new brand new deck shell. But even those can have problems.

On top of this some people just can't follow written instruction and condensate when things are slightly different. Owners manual are just guide manuals and don't cover everything just service manuals don't cover everything when they are available. Otherwords like some of my customers where I have be there holding their hands. As these side to side don't have jam nuts but they should be added. Also this particular one side may adjustable and other not; although, the non adjustable side link is replaceable with an adjustable link.

Then there the ones that insists on having a 16mm socket because some service manual said that is the one to use when I tell them to use a 5/8" socket. Well I use both universally here as mine are six point.