Craftsman how to level the mower deck

Threads
The instructions in the owner's manual for 917.203811 on page 23 are very confusing. And nothing is said anywhere about changing the wheel holes to stop the deck from hitting the ground.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First do a google search “leveling craftsman tractor deck” and you’ll find many sites which will tell you how to level the deck. After you have leveled the deck, set the deck height selector at the height you use most often. At this point set the gage wheels so they are just off the ground.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What is it that you find confusing ?
Cut & paste the text so we can clarify it for you
The anti scalp wheels have nothing to do with leveling they are usually in the height of cut section but they have no effect on the deck other than to prevent it digging into grass
In normal use they should never touch the ground

OldDiyer

Threads
These may help you out, I made these a many years ago to make it easier for and old man like me. After I made these my height of grass has always been a lot more even. better than trying to get under there with a ruler.

Attachments

• Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 40
Threads
The manual tells you to measure the distance of the end of a blade by the FRONT of the BACK TIRE, & then measure the distance of the other end of the blade by the BACK of the FRONT TIRE.

I had a mobile small engine mechanic who thought he knew everything, but he did not do things correctly, & thought he was a top mechanic.
He did NOTHING to adjust the screws to level the deck based on the distance of the blade from the ground, as described above.

He is the one who insisted that he change which holes the front wheels were placed in. He did the RT side (opposite driver's seat); but then when he did the LT side (driver's seat side, like when you would be sitting in the tractor), to the same hole, the wheel wouldn't even mount in that hole, as it was right up against the front of the deck.

Why would two front wheels not be able to be mounted in the same corresponding holes? It would seem to me that the deck was not straight (which it certainly appears to be), or the brackets that are welded from the deck to the wheel mounting holes were not welded the same at the factory.

I've tried over & over to: First, I copy the TWO pages from the .pdf of the manual, & save them to my Downloads. But when I try to attach them here, I keep getting "The uploaded file is too large. This is ridiculous - ONE page is too large for the server to process?? There is something wrong with how this site cannot even attach a ONE page file.

Both pages are to confusing to me - Measuring the distance from front & back of blade, & then loosening, tightening, nuts to achieve the stated distance, & then the wheel adjustment. Something seems wrong if you can put one wheel in a chosen hole, but you can't put the other in the corresponding same hole as it is hitting the deck which is stopping you from putting it in that same hole. They are both supposed to be in the same hole. Then nothing is explained about whether the back wheel also need to be adjusted.

This is way too complicated for me. I can only suggest that someone go to the link:

Then go to pgs. 12 & 23, which show both adjustments.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First you came to this site for help, don’t start bad mouthing the forum or guy trying to help you.
Now level the deck using these steps.
1. Park unit on a flat, level surface.
2. Check and adjust the tire pressure, I would go 12 psi rear and 25 psi front.
3. Set the height selector at about 2.5”-3”.
4. Align the blades left and right straight across, check to make sure that where the blades come together in the middle of the deck, are at the same height.
5. Check the blade tip height on the left and right side. If they are not the same adjust the nut, shown on page 24 of the manual, until they are the same height. Suggestion; I normally raise the side which is low, unless the other side is way high.
6. Once I have the height adjusted I rotate the blades 180 degrees and recheck the tips. If they are off you either have bent blades or tweaked deck.
7. Now rotate the non-discharge side blade so it is pointing front to back and check blade tip height. I normally want the front tip 1/8”-1/4” lower than the back tip.
8. If you need to make an adjustment, turn the front link adjusting nut, again page 24 of the manual.

After you have completed all adjustments, double check that all locking nuts have been tightened.

Threads
Thanks for your reply and attempt to help. However, your reprimands are not appreciated, and they are incorrect.

But you didn't address the wheel deck adjustment at all. Your reprimand of "don't start bad mouthing the forum or guy trying to help you." HE is the one who decided to change which hole (both are to be in the same HOLES, as per the manual). Neither did this mechanic follow the "Lubrication Chart" on p. 16. He only greased the Spindle Zerks & said there is nothing else to grease.

It is not "bad mouthing the forum" simply by saying that the site will not attach something as minimal as one page. This obviously needs to be fixed by the site, or the attachment function is unuseable. 1300KB is a very small file.

Tire pressure is, per manual, 10 psi rear & 14 psi front, stamped right on the tires, not the 12psi & 25psi that you state.

The deck height selector will not go down to below 4" - that is Craftsman's poor design. Thus, you have only 4" to 6" of height adjustment, or a total of 2". Other tractors of higher quality & design can adjust anywhere from 1 or 2" up to 6" (some go to 8").

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My eyes and brain must not be working today, because the title of this thread says

“Craftsman how to level the mower deck”.​

In post #2 I addressed both deck leveling and how to position the gage wheels. You stated you were confused by the instructions in the owners manual and it didn’t explain clearly how to position the gage wheels. Then you blame the site for not allowing you to post an image. I don’t understand why you don’t understand simply written instructions or how to resize images on a computer. So I’ll end with this, “ Yes dear you are correct, I’m an idiot and this forum is junk, so I’ve learned my lessons and I’m going out to the shop”. Maybe you will find someone smarter than both of us.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since the owners manual can be downloaded as a PDF you can use the PDF reader find function and search "gauge". I did and the instruction are on page 12.

Oh well gone back making some MTD deck spindle brake pads. The next time I go with semi metalic brake material. For now it just learning the specs; otherwords, the angles needed for one thing. Done got the HxWxL figured out.

Threads
Yes the "instructions" are there, but you miss what it states, "..Installing gauge wheel in same adjustment hole." meaning the left wheel & the right wheel are to be in the same adjustment hole, which makes total sense.

Glad you are able to make the MTD deck spindle brake pads. With my little knowledge & my situation, I can understand "the angles needed.."