Corroded ring terminal, battery cable

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don’t like crimping battery cable connectors as it provides a path for calcium deposits to leach up through the braided wire. In wet climates this will shorten the life of the connection.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the crimpers I got I can crimp down so much on the cable lugs that the strand wire becomes solid. But normally I prefer to use No ox coating and crimp just to a good tight fit.

Also you should be using some heat shrink over the connection to make them moisture resistant.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is the only type I use. Heat and fill the lug with solder, insert cable. After it has cooled give it a coat of liquid tape.

Attachments

• 1707164857192.png
    1707164857192.png
    130.2 KB · Views: 22

rigoletto

Threads
Thanks for all the many good tips, people. After the cable, I need to test out that useless solenoid that needs replacing every year. Sheesh.

Forest#2

Threads
You asked about starter solenoids. If I were you I would buy two, keep a spare handy. I buy the two terminal type and they can be used on most all older model MTD's. Look at your IPL and get the correct part number then search on-line.
I've had a run of bad luck within last year replacing lawn tractor starter solenoids.

I've not found a good reliable generic type starter solenoids source yet.
On some of them the contacts stick and the starter keeps running and sometimes the OP is not aware of such until the engine is killed and the starter is running and then the bendix gear and or starter is ruined also.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rotary sells good ones and they are usually rated for a higher amp rating than the OEM solenoids.

Forest#2

Threads
Startech: Thanks for that info.
I'll try the Rotary.
Sadness ruining starters due to a new replacement solenoid.
Cannot hear the starter running when the engine is running when the solenoid contact stick. I've took couple of them apart and the new copper disc and it's stud contact would be stuck together with just light normal type pitting. (appeared to be China stuff.
Been having this issue quite often. Even went to the old reliable Ford type starter solenoids which are more costly but they do not ruin starters.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
in this case I would use the Rotary 7934 as it is a heavier amp rated version.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads