Corroded ring terminal, battery cable

rigoletto

Threads
People,

MTD mower turned over a bunch of time, weakly, and never started. So I cleaned off the corrosion from the positive battery cable and noticed the terminal on that red cable has ben reduced by corrosion over 26 years to about 1/2 the surface it originally had. Does this make a big difference?

It is made of yellow bronze (brass??). Need I replace with same type? Or can I use aluminum? Have yous done this before? Do I just pry apart the clamped/crimped fasterers and recrimp?

Thanks, people.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it was me and had that much corrosion, I would be replacing the entire cable. More that likely the cable insides are also corroded. I never use aluminum connectors on cable that size, always use copper or brass. I also never use crimp connectors on battery cables. I use solder connectors. I also use 8 gauge cable.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Always put on new terminals and haven;t tried reusing already been crimp terminals.

And with being a MTD the battery cable is probably 8 gauge copper clad aluminum which should be upgraded to 6 gauge all copper cable.

rigoletto

Threads
Wow, good to know, people. Maybe thats why the mower wont start. Can anyone find such a cable on say, Amazon? Other? Thanks.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Tractor Supply sells premade cables in different lengths, if you have one nearby

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or any decent shop should have wire, cable lugs, and crimpers to make any length cable.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, good to know, people. Maybe thats why the mower wont start. Can anyone find such a cable on say, Amazon? Other? Thanks.
Jumper cables , usually only on sale at public auctions . Can often buy those for 10c on the dollar . There's enuff Cu in those to make Batt cables the remainder of your mowing days .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a special crimping tool to put the cable end on. It is made where you put the end in kinda of a cradle and you smack the crimper with a hammer. really tight crimp.

Forest#2

Threads
Seniorcitizen says:
If a MTD will cut grass for 26 years it deserves new cables . lol

It deserves more. Might even be time for a oil chainge.
At the very least give it lots of TLC. Might even want to go ahead and arrange for funeral services.