click,click and click

RayMcD

Threads
First check the battery cable connections are clean and tight, plus also check the ground cable to chassis is clean and tight. Hook up a volt meter to the battery the next time you go to start the unit. If the battery voltage drops below 10 VDC it would indicate that the battery is going or bad. Also we need to know what is clicking, the solenoid or starter.
A little bit if dielectric grease goes a long way to keeping you battery terminals in top shape. It also works well in your fuse box, light sockets and any other electrical connections on your mower.. r

double yellow

Threads
some imfo on the unit, SPEC PS-SV5413218
ser#4706730603
Model# SV541
Model # on hood 13AVA1CS009

double yellow

Threads
A little bit if dielectric grease goes a long way to keeping you battery terminals in top shape. It also works well in your fuse box, light sockets and any other electrical connections on your mower.. r
Thanks
I use the that grease quite often . Used it in a radio I sent out for repair. and the guy said I found vasaline on the tube pins

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your engine uses a Kohler 20 098 11-S starter. There is no internal solenoid. If you follow the large cable back you will find an external solenoid. Probably find it under the seat if you remove the battery. In this case, from your description, my experience tells me you only need a new bendix starter kit. This kit includes a bendix gear, thrust or bendix washer, spring and retainer. Any good small engine repair shop should be able to get this for you.

moparjoe

Threads
Cuc cadet XT1 ,18 hp kohlor twin cam courage. Most of the time when I go to start mower all I get is a click. starter engaged, good battery. Each time nothing but click. After about 4-8 clicks it startes. Any ideas of the clicks? Some tie no click , just starts after I use starter fluid.Mower 5 year old 174 hrs.

moparjoe

Threads
Your engine uses a Kohler 20 098 11-S starter. There is no internal solenoid. If you follow the large cable back you will find an external solenoid. Probably find it under the seat if you remove the battery. In this case, from your description, my experience tells me you only need a new bendix starter kit. This kit includes a bendix gear, thrust or bendix washer, spring and retainer. Any good small engine repair shop should be able to get this for you.

moparjoe

Threads
It could be the armature needs cleaned, maybe new brushes or the solenoid is going bad.

Cajun power

Threads
from the general read, I suspect that the flywheel starter solenoid is either GOING BAD OR, it's just got crude withing it.

here is what I would do...spray some wd-40 into the neck of the flywheel starter solenoid...saturate it. Let it sit for a while.

now since you have been using your mower battery to try and start it, you could be draining the state of charge quite a bit...and that fake you out thinking the battery is okay, but forgetting that every single time you try to start and it does not run and being a charging cycle, then you are left with less and less energy...So put a battery charger on it...just to be sure. let that sit for an hour..let the wd-40 does its magic. After an hour, take the charger off, and CAREFULLY WITH THE PLASTIC HANDLE OF A SCREW DRIVER, give that starter solenoid a few solid TAPS...NOT STRIKES...just some light taps. Tap it on the body....tap it at the gear...side to side and up and down.

now try to start it.

if the symptoms go away, more than likely the cause is a flywheel starter that has accumulated some rust of grass varnish...internally you just washed that crude out with the wd-40 and the taps loosened some junk up.

here is what I would not do: repeatedly try to start the mower in this condition. if the flywheel starter is not the problem, then you can definitely overheat and overwork a flywheel starter solenoid to the point of failure by trying to rotate the engine over and over and over.

as other have pointed out...there could be another root cause of this problem. One easy way to make sure the engine isn't the issue is to take spark plugs out and rotate flywheel by HAND...if it rotates easily with little resistance, you can rule out the engine as the problem. if sparks plugs out and it's hard to rotate by hand, then you need to start looking at the engine...

jviews12

Threads
Agree clean ALL contacts including FRAME and STARTER. Load test battery as suggested aboove. If you have an extr battery, just jump this one with a know strong battery and run the experiment. Sure solenoid may be bad, but lets rule out battery first. Clean solenoid contacts but doubt it is it. CLEAN TEST BYPASS and you will find it.

Gord Baker

Threads
After checking all cable connections for clean and tight, Connect one Booster Cable to the Starter Terminal and then the other end of that cable to the (+) Battery Terminal. If it starts, you may have a Solenoid Problem.
If it clicks, you may have a Starter problem.