click,click and click

double yellow

Threads
Cuc cadet XT1 ,18 hp kohlor twin cam courage. Most of the time when I go to start mower all I get is a click. starter engaged, good battery. Each time nothing but click. After about 4-8 clicks it startes. Any ideas of the clicks? Some tie no click , just starts after I use starter fluid.Mower 5 year old 174 hrs.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First check the battery cable connections are clean and tight, plus also check the ground cable to chassis is clean and tight. Hook up a volt meter to the battery the next time you go to start the unit. If the battery voltage drops below 10 VDC it would indicate that the battery is going or bad. Also we need to know what is clicking, the solenoid or starter.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Load test battery, or remove it & take it to local parts store for FREE load test.

ChrisBFRPKY

Threads
I'd remove the old solenoid, take it in to the local auto parts store and see if they could match up a starter solenoid from an older Ford car or truck. You'll never have to worry about it again. Or, you could put a cheapie replacement lawnmower part back on and be good for a few years, maybe.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We don’t know if the solenoid or starter is the problem. Plus which starter he has, might be a starter mounted solenoid, where your suggestion won’t work. He needs to do some testing to isolate the problem and post back with all unit and engine numbers. DIY guys throw parts at units before finding the problem. Techs on this forum like to find the problem, then throw parts at it.

ChrisBFRPKY

Threads
OP gave enough info on the engine and Cub Cadet model to determine it uses an external solenoid. Though I could see some diagnostics if the OP has an amp gauge he could do an amp draw test on the starter to see how much current the starter motor is pulling when in operation. But then again, if he had all the test equipment he'd probably not be here asking. I jumped to the most likely issue and repair suggestion of upgrading to an automotive solenoid. Didn't mean to step on any toes by suggesting a solenoid upgrade to an automotive type.

External solenoids will work with starter mounted solenoids to solve starting issues. If you've never done that, you've spent more money than you had to at some point.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not if is an automotive style starter which are used on some Kohlers and Kawasaki.

double yellow

Threads
First check the battery cable connections are clean and tight, plus also check the ground cable to chassis is clean and tight. Hook up a volt meter to the battery the next time you go to start the unit. If the battery voltage drops below 10 VDC it would indicate that the battery is going or bad. Also we need to know what is clicking, the solenoid or starter.
The solenoid . My grandson now has the same problem with a 3 month old CC, Kaw, engine

double yellow

Threads
God idea will try it out
Thanks