changing oil

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with the extractor pump. Especially on riding mowers where the drain plug is in an awkward position that a drain pan won't catch it all. The oil filters are a little bit trickier to remove without spilling.

The trick to that is to make some special drain pans from old oil bottles.
There is not much oil in a filter so a 1/2" cut from the bottom or side of a 2 quart oil bottle will work well.
One of the reasons why I like Kohlers over all other makes as they are the only ones that hang the oil filter down so you can change it clean and more important fill it up with clean oil before you relace it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Toro Z came with the hose extension in the packlet also.. Works fine.. I do run the opposite side up on a 2 x 12 to kick the angle towards the drain..

As to the oil filter on my Kawa V-twin, I cut down a plastic cup to fit part way under the drip ledge cast into the engine below the filter, this has made a huge improvement for the filter change.. No muss, no fuss.

And before I add a new filter, I fill it quickly, & let it drain in, then quickly screw it on..

My Toro Z came with the extension oil hose already installed on the mower. It's long enough so I can use an old five quart container to drain the oil in. As far as changing the oil filter there's no problem there because when taking the filter off it drains from the cast through the hole on the deck toro put under neath the the filter so there's no mess.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The filter on my JD protrudes a small amount beyond the frame. I loosen it enough to turn by hand and drill a hole on top. Place the drain pan made of most anything under it and then rotate lefty loosie another 180° and drain the filter. No mess at all.

chobbs1957

Threads
The filter on my JD protrudes a small amount beyond the frame. I loosen it enough to turn by hand and drill a hole on top. Place the drain pan made of most anything under it and then rotate lefty loosie another 180° and drain the filter. No mess at all.

Now that's using your head! I have really been impressed with the designs of several units that allow clean draining of the crankcase, but dumbfounded how on the same unit you can't get the filter off without making a mess everywhere. This will fix that, and I intend to give it a try next oil change.

Sent from my iPad using LMF

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Toro Z came with the extension oil hose already installed on the mower. It's long enough so I can use an old five quart container to drain the oil in.

As far as changing the oil filter there's no problem there because when taking the filter off it drains from the cast through the hole on the deck toro put under neath the the filter so there's no mess.

Ric- I'm kinda leary to do that, my R. hydro is just under there & so is the belt drive.. Last thing I want is oil on the belt.. I'll have a closer look tho.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric- I'm kinda leary to do that, my R. hydro is just under there & so is the belt drive.. Last thing I want is oil on the belt.. I'll have a closer look tho.

Which way does your engine sit? My Z is mounted sideways. The oil filter is in the back. The hole is like 5" X 2 1/2" wide and there's nothing under it and the oil from the filter drains through into a can. The Hydros are to the front of the hole as well as the pto.

001.jpg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ric- my 726cc V-twin Kaw is a vertical shaft, so the heads are both in the rear, which puts the oil filter right over the R hydro (I checked closer today)..

My neighbor has a Z Master & his has a horizantal shaft Kohler, & his oil filter is in the rear, easy access..

I'm adjusting to how to do mine, no biggie..