changing oil

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
For some reason the manufactures don't out this high on there priority list and none of them are any better then the next.

Threads
I am a firm believer in remote (hose extension) for oil changing as well as remote grease fittings for the hard to get at fittings.

After a tough day of mowing you can make your maintenance a lot easier using remotes.

Yep the plug on these is right over the rear engine pan/ mower frame so that hose extension is the way to go. I dont know why they didnt come factory with the drain hose already on there.

jimrs

Threads
My Toro Z-turn came with an extension hose in the packet with the manual.

Threads

I have seen some with them, and some not. I dont know if the owner took them off, or if they didnt have one that came with them new.

Parkmower

Threads

My Koehler on my cub rzt had the extension on it when it was delivered. Don't know if dealer or factory put it on but it sure is nice. Now the filters another story.

Boudreaux

Threads
Homeowner here:

I used a 1998 JD345 to cut grass for 15 years. Changing the oil was a true pain. I purchased a Scag Cheetah in June '13, and changed the oil in it once. It has that extension hose going to the oil base, with the valve on the end, making it really easy to drain. What a great change that is.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

de dee

Threads
Homeowner here:

I used a 1998 JD345 to cut grass for 15 years. Changing the oil was a true pain. I purchased a Scag Cheetah in June '13, and changed the oil in it once. It has that extension hose going to the oil base, with the valve on the end, making it really easy to drain. What a great change that is.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

last oil change I installed a ball valve with extention , I can put a gal jug under it and no mess, On my 735 cc. kohler 26 hp. engine on a pgt 9000 tractor put shell rottela T 6 10/W40, makes it easy to start at 40 below, I put about 100 hours in the winter and same during the summer,. allways change the oil HOT!,

Lawn Addict
Threads

My Toro Z came with the hose extension in the packlet also.. Works fine.. I do run the opposite side up on a 2 x 12 to kick the angle towards the drain..

As to the oil filter on my Kawa V-twin, I cut down a plastic cup to fit part way under the drip ledge cast into the engine below the filter, this has made a huge improvement for the filter change.. No muss, no fuss.

And before I add a new filter, I fill it quickly, & let it drain in, then quickly screw it on..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most marine shops sell oil extraction pumps as it is nigh on impossible to drain oil on a boat motor.
Mower shops sell an identical pump for twice the price.
Once you start using one you will never go back to undoing drain plugs again.
Sucks every drop of oil out ( the 2 x 4 under the wheel diagonally opposit the dip stick helps a lot ) and it is then in a sealed container that won't spill with a nice spout to pour it cleanly back into a conainer for disposal.

The only down side for me is I do not see what the drained oil actually looks like as it is coming out so I miss the tel tales like silvery colour, funny odours etc.

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
I agree with the extractor pump. Especially on riding mowers where the drain plug is in an awkward position that a drain pan won't catch it all. The oil filters are a little bit trickier to remove without spilling.