Export thread

changing oil

C

cozzarelli

Any suggestions to make oil changing on a Toro zero turn less messy?

S

skidsteer.ca

I take it there is no way to get a pan under where the oil drains out?

Is there anyway you can replace the drain plug (usually this is common npt ot pipe thread) with a valve and then the plug. (for safety reasons) then when it time to drain remove the pug from the valve, install a nipple in its place with a hose over it that runs to your drain pan. Open the valve a enjoy.:biggrin:
Just make sure you have the oil hot b4 hand or you willbe there awhile.
Ken

R

rfl

I have a bad boy but I'm sure it would work the same. It came with a hose extension from the drain plug to the back of the mower. It had a pipe plug (which leaked) to block the hose. I added a ball valve with a plug in it, just in case the valve would get hit while mowing. I then ordered an oil filter relocation kit and moved the filter off the engine to the back of the engine guard which surrounds the back of the mower. This lets me drop the filter and the oil can be caught in a pan under the back of the engine. The relocation kit was a little high at about $113.00 but it will be worth it in time. It also adds a little more oil capacity and helps cool the oil. I didn't like the mess it created trying to change the oil on a Kohler 27hp engine. It works great! Good luck.

G

gibby123

Would running the machine up on ramps help to create more clearance, for an oil pan ?:confused2:

J

jammar

Installing a rubber hose and a valve worked great for me on a 12 1/2 HP Kalwasaki. It was very easy to place a gallon plastic container on its side and open the valve. No mess and no burned fingers.

S

shrek

bought a device at my local hardware store. you put a tube in the crank case and use the handle and pump out the old oil....every last drop of old oil comes out. it's da bomb. can't remember what it's called. I use it on the 2 mowers, snow blower, the tiller, and car.

H

Hoddykubody

I agree with Shrek there is what i would call a oil extraction sucker lets call it . I see it used a lot in the marine industry but I use it on my tougher to get to applications and i've measured both ways and it gets all the oil out . Hope this helps .

D

de dee

I agree with Shrek there is what i would call a oil extraction sucker lets call it . I see it used a lot in the marine industry but I use it on my tougher to get to applications and i've measured both ways and it gets all the oil out . Hope this helps .

your sucker is a manual boat water pump,. or you can get them from auto supply places,. extractor for rear end oil ( axel)

Ric

Ric

What kind or which model Toro do you have??

BWH

BWH

I am a firm believer in remote (hose extension) for oil changing as well as remote grease fittings for the hard to get at fittings.

After a tough day of mowing you can make your maintenance a lot easier using remotes.

reynoldston

reynoldston

For some reason the manufactures don't out this high on there priority list and none of them are any better then the next.

wjjones

wjjones

I am a firm believer in remote (hose extension) for oil changing as well as remote grease fittings for the hard to get at fittings.

After a tough day of mowing you can make your maintenance a lot easier using remotes.

Yep the plug on these is right over the rear engine pan/ mower frame so that hose extension is the way to go. I dont know why they didnt come factory with the drain hose already on there.

jimrs

jimrs

My Toro Z-turn came with an extension hose in the packet with the manual.

wjjones

wjjones

I have seen some with them, and some not. I dont know if the owner took them off, or if they didnt have one that came with them new.

Parkmower

Parkmower

My Koehler on my cub rzt had the extension on it when it was delivered. Don't know if dealer or factory put it on but it sure is nice. Now the filters another story.

Boudreaux

Boudreaux

Homeowner here:

I used a 1998 JD345 to cut grass for 15 years. Changing the oil was a true pain. I purchased a Scag Cheetah in June '13, and changed the oil in it once. It has that extension hose going to the oil base, with the valve on the end, making it really easy to drain. What a great change that is.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

D

de dee

Homeowner here:

I used a 1998 JD345 to cut grass for 15 years. Changing the oil was a true pain. I purchased a Scag Cheetah in June '13, and changed the oil in it once. It has that extension hose going to the oil base, with the valve on the end, making it really easy to drain. What a great change that is.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

last oil change I installed a ball valve with extention , I can put a gal jug under it and no mess, On my 735 cc. kohler 26 hp. engine on a pgt 9000 tractor put shell rottela T 6 10/W40, makes it easy to start at 40 below, I put about 100 hours in the winter and same during the summer,. allways change the oil HOT!,

My Toro Z came with the hose extension in the packlet also.. Works fine.. I do run the opposite side up on a 2 x 12 to kick the angle towards the drain..

As to the oil filter on my Kawa V-twin, I cut down a plastic cup to fit part way under the drip ledge cast into the engine below the filter, this has made a huge improvement for the filter change.. No muss, no fuss.

And before I add a new filter, I fill it quickly, & let it drain in, then quickly screw it on..

B

bertsmobile1

Most marine shops sell oil extraction pumps as it is nigh on impossible to drain oil on a boat motor.
Mower shops sell an identical pump for twice the price.
Once you start using one you will never go back to undoing drain plugs again.
Sucks every drop of oil out ( the 2 x 4 under the wheel diagonally opposit the dip stick helps a lot ) and it is then in a sealed container that won't spill with a nice spout to pour it cleanly back into a conainer for disposal.

The only down side for me is I do not see what the drained oil actually looks like as it is coming out so I miss the tel tales like silvery colour, funny odours etc.

Mower Doctor 78006

Mower Doctor 78006

I agree with the extractor pump. Especially on riding mowers where the drain plug is in an awkward position that a drain pan won't catch it all. The oil filters are a little bit trickier to remove without spilling.

B

bertsmobile1

I agree with the extractor pump. Especially on riding mowers where the drain plug is in an awkward position that a drain pan won't catch it all. The oil filters are a little bit trickier to remove without spilling.

The trick to that is to make some special drain pans from old oil bottles.
There is not much oil in a filter so a 1/2" cut from the bottom or side of a 2 quart oil bottle will work well.
One of the reasons why I like Kohlers over all other makes as they are the only ones that hang the oil filter down so you can change it clean and more important fill it up with clean oil before you relace it.

Ric

Ric

My Toro Z came with the hose extension in the packlet also.. Works fine.. I do run the opposite side up on a 2 x 12 to kick the angle towards the drain..

As to the oil filter on my Kawa V-twin, I cut down a plastic cup to fit part way under the drip ledge cast into the engine below the filter, this has made a huge improvement for the filter change.. No muss, no fuss.

And before I add a new filter, I fill it quickly, & let it drain in, then quickly screw it on..

My Toro Z came with the extension oil hose already installed on the mower. It's long enough so I can use an old five quart container to drain the oil in. As far as changing the oil filter there's no problem there because when taking the filter off it drains from the cast through the hole on the deck toro put under neath the the filter so there's no mess.

S

SeniorCitizen

The filter on my JD protrudes a small amount beyond the frame. I loosen it enough to turn by hand and drill a hole on top. Place the drain pan made of most anything under it and then rotate lefty loosie another 180° and drain the filter. No mess at all.

chobbs1957

chobbs1957

The filter on my JD protrudes a small amount beyond the frame. I loosen it enough to turn by hand and drill a hole on top. Place the drain pan made of most anything under it and then rotate lefty loosie another 180° and drain the filter. No mess at all.

Now that's using your head! I have really been impressed with the designs of several units that allow clean draining of the crankcase, but dumbfounded how on the same unit you can't get the filter off without making a mess everywhere. This will fix that, and I intend to give it a try next oil change.

Sent from my iPad using LMF

My Toro Z came with the extension oil hose already installed on the mower. It's long enough so I can use an old five quart container to drain the oil in.

As far as changing the oil filter there's no problem there because when taking the filter off it drains from the cast through the hole on the deck toro put under neath the the filter so there's no mess.

Ric- I'm kinda leary to do that, my R. hydro is just under there & so is the belt drive.. Last thing I want is oil on the belt.. I'll have a closer look tho.

Ric

Ric

Ric- I'm kinda leary to do that, my R. hydro is just under there & so is the belt drive.. Last thing I want is oil on the belt.. I'll have a closer look tho.

Which way does your engine sit? My Z is mounted sideways. The oil filter is in the back. The hole is like 5" X 2 1/2" wide and there's nothing under it and the oil from the filter drains through into a can. The Hydros are to the front of the hole as well as the pto.

001.jpg

Ric- my 726cc V-twin Kaw is a vertical shaft, so the heads are both in the rear, which puts the oil filter right over the R hydro (I checked closer today)..

My neighbor has a Z Master & his has a horizantal shaft Kohler, & his oil filter is in the rear, easy access..

I'm adjusting to how to do mine, no biggie..