Can't find 30W oil anywhere in my area, or on line.

GrumpyCat

Threads
There is no legal definition of "synthetic"
Furthermore there is no performance specification for which a motor oil must meet to be sold as "synthetic". In other words, no assurance a synthetic motor oil is better than a refined oil. No requirement for a synthetic to be as good or better.

GrumpyCat

Threads
No one has found a "30W" oil yet. All you are finding is "SAE 30 HD" because 30W only exists in Google who returns links to "SAE 30" products.

Lawn Addict
Threads
O'Reilleys carries 30wt oil in Castrol brand..

fixit1ddh

Threads
You reminded me I need to change the oil in my 2008 14hp. Single cylinder air cooled generator. It still has the original fill of 15w40. These oil debates is the reason I changed the oil on Wife's 2008 snow blower in 2021 that still had original oil fill. And yes they both still run like new & use 0 oil.

bodean

Threads
I prefer peanut oil, it tolerates higher temps better than canola oil. Besides, I don't even know what a canola looks like, or where it lives.
One place canola lives is near me, which is about 20 miles south of the TN state line in Alabama. Acres and acres of it is grown and farmed yearly. BTW, lots of soybeans to make soybean oil and soybean meal to is farmed right next to it.

MowManMow

Threads
They sell 10w30, SAE30,10W40 etc. it's cheaper than most quarts of 30 weight i can get from part stores.
If I run 10w30,10w40 *(syn or dino) in any of my Kohler K/Magnum engines they always burn oil. Straight 30 they never do burn it.
Kohler actually states in their Operator manuals these engines will burn oil when a 10w is used but says it can be used if desired.
Ive ran straight 30 in mine over 40yrs now but the last 2yrs noticed some oil disappears. I have 4 suddenly doing it so I know it's not from engine wear.
Odd that 10× full syn disappears in these engines, always has but idk why?

GrumpyCat

Threads
10W-30 is thinner than 30 weight at room temperature but the same at 212°F, at which point it is even thinner.

In ancient times we knew some engines simply burned one brand of 10W-40 and others not. And some engines were happy with that oil, but others not. It was simply a matter of trial and error to find the appropriate oil for your automobile.

As I recall, we had one car which burned Kendal but not Havoline, and another which burned Havoline but not Kendal.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
10W-30 is thinner than 30 weight at room temperature but the same at 212°F, at which point it is even thinner.

In ancient times we knew some engines simply burned one brand ofto 10W-40 and others not. And some engines were happy with that oil, but others not. It was simply a matter of trial and error to find the appropriate oil for your automobile.

As I recall, we had one car which burned Kendal but not Havoline, and another which burned Havoline but not Kendal.
To bring that into the small engine world, I had a kohler command with HLA's, it would tick with Havoline,but not with Valvoline.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm a little late to declare it......

oilthread.JPG