Can't find 30W oil anywhere in my area, or on line.

davis2

Threads
years ago I serviced a machine at a place called carl akey feed. They cooked animal blood down to blood meal. More than one person lost their lunch from the smell.
Feather meal actually smells worse. But fish meal is the absolute worst!

djb383

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not being able to find or it being difficult to find 30W is probably a hint regarding single weight oil performance vs multi-vis oil performance, no?🤷‍♀️

GrumpyCat

Threads
Just because vendors don't know what it is called and Google finds it doesn't make it so. The manufacturer knows and none of the products returned in the search say "30W" on the package.

Is "SAE 30", often said to be "Straight Weight" to differentiate from 10W-30 and other multi-viscosity oils.

Straight 30 weight should be easier for manufacturers to make a product that stays in grade longer in service than multi-viscosity. As to whether the manufacture actually makes an oil up to what theory says is another topic. That is should be able to stay in-grade longer, and could be cheaper, is the only reason to use SAE 30 over 10W-30. A synthetically manufactured oil should have fewer Viscosity Improver additives than a refined oil, and therefore last longer. Viscosity Improvers are weaker than base oil. But again as to whether the synthetic you choose really does have less VI and really does last longer is another topic.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not being able to find or it being difficult to find 30W is probably a hint regarding single weight oil performance vs multi-vis oil performance, no?🤷‍♀️
Well it is only used in lawn mower engines and very few use more than 2 litres while push mowers use 500ml so not going to be a really big seller compared to car oils
On top of that mower owners tend to want the cheapest possible oil and cheap = low profit
I go through a 44 gallon drum full every 5 years
I can sell you a can of synthetic multigrade oil and make $ 10 profit or the same size can of SAE 30 and make a $ 2 profit
Guess which one I will put on the shelf and which one will be hidden around the back ?

davis2

Threads
I find SAE30 HD at Walmart. It is with the lawnmower stuff. Not hard to find if you take your time and look. Just check the label to be sure it isn't non-detergent.

davis2

Threads
Be
Well it is only used in lawn mower engines and very few use more than 2 litres while push mowers use 500ml so not going to be a really big seller compared to car oils
On top of that mower owners tend to want the cheapest possible oil and cheap = low profit
I go through a 44 gallon drum full every 5 years
I can sell you a can of synthetic multigrade oil and make $ 10 profit or the same size can of SAE 30 and make a $ 2 profit
Guess which one I will put on the shelf and which one will be hidden around the back ?
Bert, I have a question about oil. Is it true that synthetic is actually dino oil broken down and re-mixed with any additives also added at that time? I heard that somewhere, but can't remember where.
It makes sense, because that is how milk is processed. Break it down, and put it back together so it meets the label specs... And how else can they guarantee fat %? I did work in a dairy plant, so have some knowledge of it, not an authority, but some knowledge...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Be

Bert, I have a question about oil. Is it true that synthetic is actually dino oil broken down and re-mixed with any additives also added at that time? I heard that somewhere, but can't remember where.
It makes sense, because that is how milk is processed. Break it down, and put it back together so it meets the label specs... And how else can they guarantee fat %? I did work in a dairy plant, so have some knowledge of it, not an authority, but some knowledge...
There is no legal definition of "synthetic"
So yes some synthetics are actually reconstructed from the individual refined compounds
True synthetics are made the same way except the feed stock is ethylene gas not crude oil
Just about every thing we use now days is "synthetic" to some extent because modern high volume production requires identical feed stock or you end up with a disaster
Back in my high school & college days I sliced & wrapped bread every morning.
One bakery was owned by the four mill so their machines could run all morning without any problems & I am talking 60 loaves a minute on the 3 man machine
The other brand bought in their flour and it was very common to spend more time shoveling damaged loaves off the floor into the pig feed bins than loading wrapped loaves into the delivery trollies and that was down as slow as 20 loaves a minute

Sugar is recombined , everything that goes into chocolate is recombined some cooking oils are recombined , butter is recombined .
You notice it when you purchase farm gate products, particularly dairy where the farm gate stuff has a very complex flavour where as supermarket stuff is the same bland taste every time .

IF you want to have your mind blown chase down all the stuff that is nothing more than corn stripped & recombined
Soft serve Ice Cream ( which in OZ can not be called ice cream ) non dairy milk , and starches of every description, even synthetic leather can be made from corn.

djb383

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just don’t understand the fascination with old school single weight 30W oil when multi-vis oils are far superIor regarding flow (splash) and lubrication characteristics.🤷‍♂️ My thoughts and my opinion, YMMV.

djb383

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe the Motor Oil Basics article I post answered a few questions so the question doesn’t need to be asked.🤷‍♂️