Can someone please identify this push mower?

allenwolf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I am brand new to the site and I am enjoying my time here. I have a question I have been wanting to ask for some time now. I have a little push mower project, i'm restoring an old one. All I know about the mower is that i bought it for 10 bucks and it ran so good deal. It has a 3.0 Hp Briggs engine that is white, i don't know the model # of that, and there are no markings on the deck. Here are some pictures.

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/6011/img0337h.jpg
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/6931/img0338gk.jpg
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4319/img0341ki.jpg
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4973/img0348wh.jpg

I would like to know about when it was made and who made it. Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

noma

Threads
HI Allenwolf

I would look on the sides of, it will be kinda easy to look being you got i took all apart now for a stamping.Because some company had to have stamped it out of steel with some kind of model or brand name, im sure they stamped out thousands of them at the time. That is what i would look for it is going to be hard to see it ,it might not be to deep imprint good luck. Welcome aboard to LMF glad to have you along with us.:licking::licking::licking:

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Best guess would be an AYP product from the mid 70s try sending the pics to them. They used to have a tractor factory in Charlotte North Carolina from memory it was a
Frigidaire Electrolux factory they build Husqvarna, Partner, Craftsman ETC ETC
Good luck with the search

allenwolf

Forum Newbie
Threads
That would make sense, as i live in Raleigh, NC. I cant seem to find any old ayp mowers like this on the net. It has staggered wheels...so maybe it could be rare?

Emeritus

Threads
Hey, that's funny you asked it yesterday, I'm looking at very similar engine here wondering what it might be (the deck is different though). The label on the deck is completely washed out. The engine is (has been) white, with some letters ...TON readable, so I guess Briggs it is.
What I really need is some advice about maintaining it, how much oil goes in, etc. I've very little experience with these little engines. :rolleyes:

earthworm

Threads
Just keep her clean and dry as best one can...In this weather, its impossible.
Maintain a good oil level, change it once or twice annually.
The gasoline ages; run her in the winter or do a 100% gas clean out..
I use Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 10-40....an overkill ??

Emeritus

Threads
Thanks to OP I identified this engine and even found a manual on B&S website. Good job B&S supporting your machinery!
Synthetic oil probably is an overkill, synthetic saves your engine during cold starts. Especially in winter, but unless you use your lawnmower to blow snow ... At 50+ degrees regular oil will do. And synthetic runs longer than regular, I change oil in my cars in 20-25k miles as recommended by Amsoil. Again, we do not need this kind of durability in lawnmowers.

Edit: @earthworm
Use ethanol-free gas, it will not corrode your fuel system during winter.
Ethanol-free gas stations in Pennsylvania

benski

Threads
Thanks to OP I identified this engine and even found a manual on B&S website. Good job B&S supporting your machinery!
Synthetic oil probably is an overkill, synthetic saves your engine during cold starts. Especially in winter, but unless you use your lawnmower to blow snow ... At 50+ degrees regular oil will do. And synthetic runs longer than regular, I change oil in my cars in 20-25k miles as recommended by Amsoil. Again, we do not need this kind of durability in lawnmowers.

Edit: @earthworm
Use ethanol-free gas, it will not corrode your fuel system during winter.
Ethanol-free gas stations in Pennsylvania
Why wouldn't you use synthetic in a lawnmower in good shape? The most it will cost you is about $12.00, plus filter for a season. Of all the places to go "inexpensive", a piece of lawn maintenance equipment isn't it for me. Can you imagine the impact if we could get 300 hrs. out of a mower engine that is designed to go 100 hrs?

Emeritus

Threads
Of course you can use synthetic oil in lawnmower. :smile:
My point was considering the usage pattern synthetic will not perform better than regular. See those 18-wheelers on the interstate? They run over million miles during their lifetime. On regular oil, because their usage pattern does not benefit from synthetic oil.
OTOH, I'd pour nothing but synthetic into my car, although here in deep south we do not get very cold weather.
Now, if your lawnmower works 300 hours a year, then yes, you could benefit from synthetic because you do not need to change it in 100 hours. But you need to change oil once a year.
Here the grass grows almost all year round, I get about 35 hours per year on my moving lawnmower and I see no point pouring synthetic into it. :wink:

jamesslcx

Threads
Hi everyone, Allenwolf you got a great deal on that mower! I cant identify it but I like it. As far as using syn. or conventional i am torn on this. I had a pushmower ( 3 horse Briggs) that lasted me many years of hard use until my wife hit a rock one day . I used nothing but regular Q.S, changed every season, now I use synthetic and conventional in several different mowers and to be honest so far I caint see much difference, I think regular maint. is what makes them last. Use what oil makes you happy but change it when you should.