Buying a forever lawnmower. Lawnmower buying advice.

highlife65

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all! I recently purchased my first home. The house is located on 1/3 acre lot. Im looking to buy a long lasting lawnmower. Here are my requirements, all of them don’t need to be satisfied but preferred.

☐20" cutting width ( yard has allot of landscaping and tight spots, I like smaller cutting path )

☐Powerful and strong torque engine that doesn’t stall in knee high grass on a damp Saturday morning when the wife is yelling at you to cut the dam grass.

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

☐I’m 6 feet tall so adjustable or higher push bar would be nice

☐Add on bag optional. I plan on using mulching blade 90% of time

I’m OK with buying slightly used from FB marketplace, craigslist etc.

I’m OK with buying online. Here in South Texas we have Home Depot, Lowes etc.

My budget is $750 or less.

Thank you very much, please advise,
I have had the best luck with 2 cycle lawnboys. I had a lawn boy with my first house. 50 some years ago. it was a 1953 OMC 21" . Now in the attic! I currently use a 1998 used 6.5 HP duraforce LB . Can't hurt them. 2cycles run forever! Cast iron cylinder!

Air4Dave

Threads
Hello all! I recently purchased my first home. The house is located on 1/3 acre lot. Im looking to buy a long lasting lawnmower. Here are my requirements, all of them don’t need to be satisfied but preferred.

☐20" cutting width ( yard has allot of landscaping and tight spots, I like smaller cutting path )

☐Powerful and strong torque engine that doesn’t stall in knee high grass on a damp Saturday morning when the wife is yelling at you to cut the dam grass.

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

☐I’m 6 feet tall so adjustable or higher push bar would be nice

☐Add on bag optional. I plan on using mulching blade 90% of time

I’m OK with buying slightly used from FB marketplace, craigslist etc.

I’m OK with buying online. Here in South Texas we have Home Depot, Lowes etc.

My budget is $750 or less.

Thank you very much, please advise,
Snapper electric! You have the option of a single battery or dual. Has parts that are commonly found, red deck, quiet, proven durability over the big box store EZgo, which are junk and why there's a lot for sale on MP... and in that price range.

TobyU

Threads
Snapper electric! You have the option of a single battery or dual. Has parts that are commonly found, red deck, quiet, proven durability over the big box store EZgo, which are junk and why there's a lot for sale on MP... and in that price range.
I am happy to see that there are better frame options out there in battery mowers than the flimsy plastic stuff and wimpy blades the early ones were and many still are.
There is no reason not to have uniformity with the deck, wheels, handle etc. Just swap the engine for the electric motor and add the start button up top which is what they have done.
Still don't want one and don't recommend them for anyone unless they have a smaller yard and cut it often.

GearHead36

Threads
GearHead36, let me see if I can summarize your thoughts. Electric is no good. A new mower is no good. Most gas is no good. B&S is no good. And you recommend someone ask a flipper for advice on what to buy. You don't suppose he'll happen to have just what they need in his shop.
Isn't it odd that the only people who have a problem with my comments are the battery evangelists? None of the regulars have disputed any of my comments. Yes, the flipper will likely have "just what the customer needs". But... if he has a mower there for sale, then he just fixed it. Which means, it's repairable, and the flipper is capable of fixing it, and the mower is worth fixing He probably wouldn't waste his time on something that wasn't worth fixing.

TobyU

Threads
Isn't it odd that the only people who have a problem with my comments are the battery evangelists? None of the regulars have disputed any of my comments. Yes, the flipper will likely have "just what the customer needs". But... if he has a mower there for sale, then he just fixed it. Which means, it's repairable, and the flipper is capable of fixing it, and the mower is worth fixing He probably wouldn't waste his time on something that wasn't worth fixing.
Only a fairly small percentage of people in many parts are even most parts of the country have taken the plunge or chance let's say with a battery powered mower.
Just wait until it becomes more and more mainstream with some of these stupid stores actually pushing it and giving numbers and dates on how they want 80% or something like that of their outdoor power equipment to all run off of batteries.
What you're going to see is a lot more people end up with him and then once that honeymoon period is over you're going to see a lot of people wanting their old style equipment back!

Most of this battery stuff is simply too big of a sacrifice compared to what people are used to.

I've been predicting for about 3 years now that I'm not sure exactly when it will occur but that it will occur.. there will be a massive increase demand for gasoline power mowers and other outdoor power equipment and this the only place this demand is going to be fulfilled will be on the used market.
It's going to make prices skyrocket and you will see used mowers several years old but in relatively good shape, selling for as much if not more than they did when new.
It's Bizarro World, I tell you, but it's going to happen.
Then, we'll have to see if the demand lasts long enough or there is enough attention and awareness to it and see if any manufacturers actually step up to the plate to provide us with some new options of gasoline power equipment.

You know what's going to happen with people like Honda and Husqvarna getting out of the residential mower business and Briggs & Stratton officially announcing that they're no longer manufacturing snapper and simplicity residential mowers or lawn tractors.
They are going to shift their focus from these items over to some inferior performing battery powered stuff.

YES..... For anyone who wants to debate this last comment and I will say it again that battery powered outdoor power equipment is inferior to gasoline powered items in performance.
Anyone who wants to bring any of their battery powered walk behind residential mowers, blowers, string trimmers, chainsaws to me for a comparison and a contest - BRING IT ON!!

I can grab one of many items laying around here and my convenient little gas can and you can have an outlet by the house to plug into.
I guarantee you I can cut more grass per day, cut more wood per day, blow more leaves or grass per day, trim more linear feet of stray grass per day, edge more linear feet of sidewalk and driveway per day....
I also guarantee I can cut taller, more damp, more overgrown grass at a faster pace.

Maybe things will change in the future but currently, almost all of the battery powered alternatives are not proper substitutes as they come with several major sacrifices.

TonyPrin

Threads
Only a fairly small percentage of people in many parts are even most parts of the country have taken the plunge or chance let's say with a battery powered mower.
Just wait until it becomes more and more mainstream with some of these stupid stores actually pushing it and giving numbers and dates on how they want 80% or something like that of their outdoor power equipment to all run off of batteries.
What you're going to see is a lot more people end up with him and then once that honeymoon period is over you're going to see a lot of people wanting their old style equipment back!
Electric mowers account for 25% of annual push mower sales. Battery is the fastest growing push mower segment in the country and is expected to be 50% of mower sales by 2030. But you're correct that Home Depot announced a goal to have battery-powered products drive more than 85 percent of its outdoor lawn equipment sales (including trimmers, blowers, and similar tools) sales by 2028. So, the future is here.

TobyU

Threads
Electric mowers account for 25% of annual push mower sales. Battery is the fastest growing push mower segment in the country and is expected to be 50% of mower sales by 2030. But you're correct that Home Depot announced a goal to have battery-powered products drive more than 85 percent of its outdoor lawn equipment sales (including trimmers, blowers, and similar tools) sales by 2028. So, the future is here.
I was also correct with everything else I stated. Lol
Correct for now because I used words like "currently".
You have to watch statistics and numbers and see exactly what number you're looking at because while your stated number of 25% of annual push more sales quite accurate (and in fact the number has been growing every season) the number of people who have or those who use a battery-powered mower is less than the percentage of annual sales.
If we're sticking to facts and numbers.

See what I'm saying?
Gasoline powered mowers have been the normal for so long that when we started out with 100% or basically close to that it will take a good number of years of 25% of all the new people who buy mowers buying battery powered, for the percentage of overall mowers to end up with even 25% of the total number being battery powered mowers.
We could actually come up with the exact number of years it would take if for the percentage of ownership to approach 25% but that would require us to know the total number of owners in the group (and technically for it to remain static) and know the number of annual sales which also would have to remain consistent AND to be really accurate the rate of growth of the battery powered mower segment would also have to make remake consistent at 25% annually and as I mentioned in my first post, that's not going to happen.
If in 2023 which we would be lucky if we have this statistics and they're accurate,. 25% of the push mowers sold where battery powered, then that number is likely to be at least 27 to 28 if not 30% or slightly more in 2024.
As I mentioned in my earlier post or at least one of them, this number is growing each year for now.
When that number will hit its peak, we really don't know.
As you mentioned, they have predictions but they will likely be three or four years off one way or the other.

Your post comes across like many of the post in Auto groups where people are Tesla or at least battery powered car fan-people....without being bashing about gasoline like they seem to always do. Lol

I am quite transparent about the fact that I can't stand battery powered mowers and couldn't stand the corded electric plug-in mowers from decades ago either. I also can't stand the corded plug-in hedge trimmers and feel they all belong in the trash.
I also love reciprocating internal combustion engines. I really don't like rotary, axial or a lot of the other designs and I should also clarify that I really don't like diesel either even though it is the closest thing to what I like.
I don't need reasons for these preferences and personal preferences can't be wrong. 😆 😂

My factual statements I have made in the past and recently, still remain true for the situations I make them about which are most and or many situations.
A very large percentage of people who have had no real complaints or qualms cutting there grass when they want to, have to make certain concessions and sacrifices when they switch over to a battery powered mower.
I'm also quite clear, typically, to point out there are a couple of real convenient benefits but for most people these benefits do not outweigh the other multiple sacrifices or changes from their typical experience to make up for switching.

I feel that eventually, the products will overcome a couple of these hurdles, (maybe just one.)
I think they just made it the battery capacity to where it needs to be but then I feel the next weak link will be the motor longevity / durability because if there's enough battery power to it to operate for extended periods of time, we are likely to have more failures just like the old corded electric mowers did with their push button resets etc that people will continue to reset until the motor was done.

Then I think another big hurdle of having comparable power and ability to mow grass that's quite overgrown, thick, damp will not come into mainstream like I wish it would.

If a battery powered mower did all the important things like a gasoline-powered mower in having the exact same amount of power and torque for spinning hat blade (or even more like in cars) and would run an hour on a single battery charge AND if for the same price, they came with at least two batteries so you had a quick "refill" like you can do with gas AND if in 10 plus years, it was still providing the same amount of torque and same amount of run time on that same battery ....THEN they would be an equivalent substitute.
Currently, they simply are not.

Will they ever fully get there? I doubt they will meet all these parameters but they will overcome some of the hurdles and get better.
Also, the comparison between the two will get closer because they've already been making gasoline mowers, especially engines more substandard and shorter lasting so the having same operation for 10 plus years or even 15 or 20 like so many people have experienced isn't really going to be an option with anything you buy new.

What a way for an entire industry to self-screw itself...

I do find it interesting though to just sit back like a fly on the wall and watch the crap that unveils.
Remember my prediction that won't be widely publicized but there will be articles about it...about people wanting to go back to their old gasoline mowers because of the annoyances of battery powered ones mostly relating to the battery capacity, price, lifespan.

I'll be over here with my collection of dozens of nice little gasoline small air-cooled engines having a hoot of a fun time. I really do like them.
I hate lawn mowers though!
I've said many times and told many people that I hate the machines, and specially on riders the deck and everything about that.
But apparently, most people don't have much use for a riding mower that doesn't cut grass and even less use for little push mower engines unless they're on a push mower cutting grass because that's the application for the vast majority of them.
I just like them but don't like the equipment they're on and can't stand the fact that we're still cutting grass in 2024 and that most people will continue to do it until they die, or until they're too old to physically do it.
Then of course there's those that pay to get it done but that doesn't solve the problem in my eye.
It's still something that humans have to do and they have to do it almost weekly and I feel it's ridiculous.

TobyU

Threads
Also, I have to laugh at your last line about the future is here.
Like battery powered or electric mowers and or tools are anything new.
Same with cars as we're on about the fourth rendition of battery powered cars in this world. Lol
In fact, a friend of mine had a Black & Decker battery powered mower back around 2001 from what I remember that was better than most the ones in the market today because it came with two large batteries that were basically the size of a car battery with a handle on top and you dropped it right into place on top of the mower and it would know for a lot longer than these ones in the market today.

So battery powered outdoor power equipment isn't anything new or the future, it's been around before but it really didn't get widely accepted and didn't take off and the main reason for this is that we already had equipment that did the jobs we needed to do and it they did it better.
So people said - That's neat but too bad that don't work as well...or something along those lines.

In the past, it's been about getting the job done and having a good price and a long lifespan etc.
Nothing was forced, encouraged, coerced my other influences like it is being today.
These things are just another reason I will push some people away but with Italia results they win because with these tactics they will get more than they will lose.
But I will refrain from making my comments on the overall world! -for now.

GearHead36

Threads
Way to, once again, evangelize for battery equipment ("the future is here"), while ignoring almost everything TobyU said.

The OP provided a wishlist for his mower. A few of the key ones were:

- Powerful and strong torque engine that doesn’t stall in knee high grass on a damp Saturday morning

- Commonly found parts

- "Forever" mower

Each of these criteria, by themselves, are sufficient to rule out all battery mowers. Unfortunately, nothing made in the last 5 yrs, gas or battery powered, will meet all of these criteria. Planned obsolescence has been a problem for decades, but only in the last 5 yrs or so in the OPE industry. This means that there ARE gas powered mowers that meet this criteria, but nothing battery powered.

Battery mowers CAN be the right solution in some situations. If the OP wanted something quiet to mow 500 sq ft, I wouldn't recommend a 60" commercial ZTR. I would probably recommend a manual reel mower, with a battery mower as an alternative. Trying to force battery equipment as the right solution when it's not is just foolish, and looks a LOT like pushing an agenda.

TonyPrin

Threads
Way to, once again, evangelize for battery equipment ("the future is here"), while ignoring almost everything TobyU said.
GearHead36, for some reason you insist on personalizing comments. Like most others, I have opinions, not agendas. I don't "evangelize" any more than those who prefer gas or human power.