Export thread

Buying a forever lawnmower. Lawnmower buying advice.

S

stevef22

Hello all! I recently purchased my first home. The house is located on 1/3 acre lot. Im looking to buy a long lasting lawnmower. Here are my requirements, all of them don’t need to be satisfied but preferred.

☐20" cutting width ( yard has allot of landscaping and tight spots, I like smaller cutting path )

☐Powerful and strong torque engine that doesn’t stall in knee high grass on a damp Saturday morning when the wife is yelling at you to cut the dam grass.

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

☐I’m 6 feet tall so adjustable or higher push bar would be nice

☐Add on bag optional. I plan on using mulching blade 90% of time

I’m OK with buying slightly used from FB marketplace, craigslist etc.

I’m OK with buying online. Here in South Texas we have Home Depot, Lowes etc.

My budget is $750 or less.

Thank you very much, please advise,

Attachments

D

d2wing

I have a Toro personal pace mower with electric start and really like it. 1/3 acre is big for a 20 inch blade. I'd go bigger. I also have an electric Dewalt push mower but batteries are a problem. I had another brand electric mower but it failed in less than a year. Batteries are no longer available for the DeWalt mower. There are no repair parts either. I do like it for small areas but it can't handle tall or tough grass or large areas as I am down to my last battery.

G

GearHead36

I like my Toro Personal Pace, too. I like it better than anything I see in the big box stores these days. I don't know of anything that meet all the items on your checklist. If you want a long lasting mower, I'd find a local "flipper". I.e. someone who fixes junk mowers, and resells them. They will know what is reliable and repairable. Personally, if I were buying a push mower now, I'd go with a 3-6 yr old Toro Recycler with Personal Pace. It wouldn't bother me to buy something 10 yrs old if it were in good condition. Buy 5 spare air filters, blades, and spark plugs. Maintain it properly, and it will last at least 10 yrs. If it hadn't been abused before you got it, it will last 20 yrs. Mine is 13 yrs old, and still runs fine. Starting is a little hard. I think it needs a valve adjustment, which is a bit of a pain with flathead engines. However, properly maintained flathead engines will still be running when the sun burns out.

R

Rivets

I recommend a Toro SuperRecyler cast deck. The only item on your list it won’t do is 20” cut, this is 21”. I’ve sold these since they came out and have have only one person bring it back. If properly maintained I call these 20 year mowers.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

I have a very different answer to your question. As you're a new homeowner who wants forever, I'd go battery powered. Consider the EGO LM2135SP. The mower's battery is interchangeable with other equipment such as a hedge and string trimmers, chainsaws, and blowers. Talk to EGO Power or a local dealer about battery options. This will save you substantially over time. IMO, battery powered equipment is the way of the future and starting out is the best time to begin. BTO, I have no association.

S

stevef22

I recommend a Toro SuperRecyler cast deck. The only item on your list it won’t do is 20” cut, this is 21”. I’ve sold these since they came out and have have only one person bring it back. If properly maintained I call these 20 year mowers.
Thank you

S

stevef22

I like my Toro Personal Pace, too. I like it better than anything I see in the big box stores these days. I don't know of anything that meet all the items on your checklist. If you want a long lasting mower, I'd find a local "flipper". I.e. someone who fixes junk mowers, and resells them. They will know what is reliable and repairable. Personally, if I were buying a push mower now, I'd go with a 3-6 yr old Toro Recycler with Personal Pace. It wouldn't bother me to buy something 10 yrs old if it were in good condition. Buy 5 spare air filters, blades, and spark plugs. Maintain it properly, and it will last at least 10 yrs. If it hadn't been abused before you got it, it will last 20 yrs. Mine is 13 yrs old, and still runs fine. Starting is a little hard. I think it needs a valve adjustment, which is a bit of a pain with flathead engines. However, properly maintained flathead engines will still be running when the sun burns out.
How do you like the " Personal Pace" feature? Some people hate it. Thank you

S

stevef22

I have a Toro personal pace mower with electric start and really like it. 1/3 acre is big for a 20 inch blade. I'd go bigger. I also have an electric Dewalt push mower but batteries are a problem. I had another brand electric mower but it failed in less than a year.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Toro sucks honestly

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

If I were you I would get this Craftsman M230 21" Self propelled Push mower. I swear on my life that with proper maintenance and care, this WILL last you 20+ years. I have recommended this to over 10 people and they haven't ever had a complaint, it fits all their needs. It has the higher rear wheels, 21" cutting deck, variable speed, one pull starting, no choke or priming, adjustable bar, red deck, mulching compatible, AND a robust and easily serviceable briggs and Stratton 163cc engine with plenty of power for anything you can throw at it (literally). Parts are very widely available in case you need them. Don't even look at other junky Chinese brands like toro or EGO, they won't last 5 years. I get toros very frequently in the shop here, 4 just this month in need of major repairs. Stick to the M230 and you won't have any problems. https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...-Mower-with-Briggs-Stratton-Engine/1000673809

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Stay away from the personal pace of you will have endless problems

G

GearHead36

I love it. It's like just taking a walk around the yard. Almost effortless. Turning the mower around, though, takes a bit of effort.

G

GearHead36

Obviously, some people have been smelling gas fumes for too long.
Obviously, some people have drunk the green kool-aid. The OP asked for recommendations for a "forever mower". Which I take to be, one that will never need to be replaced. Battery mowers are currently the exact opposite of this. There are pretty much zero 5 yrs old battery powered mowers in use. They are notorious for having unavailable parts after 2 yrs. Admittedly, the gas mowers are getting cheaper and cheaper, too, and I don't mean cost wise. This is why I recommended an older used gas mower. Battery powered equipment may get to the point of never needing to be replaced, but it's nowhere close to that at this point in time.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

Obviously, some people have drunk the green kool-aid. The OP asked for recommendations for a "forever mower". Which I take to be, one that will never need to be replaced. Battery mowers are currently the exact opposite of this. There are pretty much zero 5 yrs old battery powered mowers in use. They are notorious for having unavailable parts after 2 yrs. Admittedly, the gas mowers are getting cheaper and cheaper, too, and I don't mean cost wise. This is why I recommended an older used gas mower. Battery powered equipment may get to the point of never needing to be replaced, but it's nowhere close to that at this point in time.
Not Kool-Aid, just data. Today's battery powered equipment isn't like a decade or more ago. The technology has improved tremendously, and costs have improved. Battery is becoming the way to go for yard equipment just as it has for other power equipment like saws and drills. Does anyone wonder why Toro, Snapper, and STIHL make battery powered mowers now? (Maybe they drank the Kool-Aid, too.) And as it's also becoming for cars, which is why Tesla is worth more than Ford, GM, Honda, and Toyota combined. If anyone thinks gas powered equipment is "forever", I have a horse and buggy to sell you.

R

Rivets

Craftsman, I don’t know what problem you’ve had with the Toro Personal Pace mowers, but they are about the best mowers out today. The cast deck models outlast all other decks and the drive system are good and allow any user to cut at the pace they want. Mulching is close to excellent, if you don’t try to remove more that you should. I realize that all U-tubes videos are the absolute truth, but as I said. I’ve been selling them to customers from 19-75 years old since they came on the market and they will live twice as long as any Craftsman mower on the market today. The reason the drive system has problem Is that people don’t maintain them properly.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Obviously, some people have a good sense of judgement between what is crap and what will work for more than two years.
Obviously, some people have been smelling gas fumes for too long.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman, I don’t know what problem you’ve had with the Toro Personal Pace mowers, but they are about the best mowers out today. The cast deck models outlast all other decks and the drive system are good and allow any user to cut at the pace they want. Mulching is close to excellent, if you don’t try to remove more that you should. I realize that all U-tubes videos are the absolute truth, but as I said. I’ve been selling them to customers from 19-75 years old since they came on the market and they will live twice as long as any Craftsman mower on the market today. The reason the drive system has problem Is that people don’t maintain them properly.
I don't want to talk about it Rivets😒

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Not Kool-Aid, just data. Today's battery powered equipment isn't like a decade or more ago. The technology has improved tremendously, and costs have improved. Battery is becoming the way to go for yard equipment just as it has for other power equipment like saws and drills. Does anyone wonder why Toro, Snapper, and STIHL make battery powered mowers now? (Maybe they drank the Kool-Aid, too.) And as it's also becoming for cars, which is why Tesla is worth more than Ford, GM, Honda, and Toyota combined. If anyone thinks gas powered equipment is "forever", I have a horse and buggy to sell you.
Just because it is "the way to go" doesn't mean that does the job well. And why does toro snapper and stihl ma me battery powered equipment now? Because they want to follow the stupid regulations made by california for pollution. A single battery for landscaping will make more "pollution" when it is manufactured than in the lifetime of a gas mower. Climate change and global warming is a hoax guys, and you need to snap out of it. It's like yeah teslas are "the way to go" but that doesn't mean it's better than a lamborghini, or yeah, electric semi trucks would look cool and futuristic or whatever but that DOES NOT MEAN that it will last 500000 miles or more like gas semi trucks do! I can't believe I had to explain all of crap. Some people just have no filter when they're looking at news, and that's a problem guys.

R

Rivets

Why, because you might be in the very small minority?

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

Just because it is "the way to go" doesn't mean that does the job well. Climate change and global warming is a hoax guys, and you need to snap out of it. It's like yeah teslas are "the way to go" but that doesn't mean it's better than a lamborghini. ... Some people just have no filter when they're looking at news, and that's a problem guys.
I suggest not making it so easy to be proven wrong. The photo below is the Lamborghini Revuelto, described by them as a "HPEV (High Performance Electrified Vehicle)". In case anyone's wondering, below that is the Ferrari Stradale, per them a "PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle)". Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'm with Toro, Snapper, STIHL, Lamborghini and Ferrari - and reality.

1712509317716.png
1712510758825.png

G

GearHead36

I suggest not making it so easy to be proven wrong. The photo below is the Lamborghini Revuelto, described by them as a "HPEV (High Performance Electrified Vehicle)". In case anyone's wondering, below that is the Ferrari Stradale, per them a "PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle)". Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'm with Toro, Snapper, STIHL, Lamborghini and Ferrari - and reality.

View attachment 68253
View attachment 68254
Um, where did you prove anyone or anything wrong? Ferrari makes an EV. Ok. Does that prove anything?

I tried a battery powered trimmer years ago. I'm an electrical engineer, and I wanted to be able to "go electric". The technology was nowhere close to good enough. Now the tech IS much better, but still not the equal of gas. Power-wise, yes, electric motors can compete with gas engines, but it's energy where the batteries fall short. I have a Echo PAS attachment system. I trim, edge, and blow every week, and need a full tank of gas every time, which is about the equivalent of two 6Ah batteries, which cost more than my entire trimmer system. Current battery tech is still at the point where they lose capacity every year. So if I need the full capacity of two 6Ah batteries this year, I'll need to add another one next year. And we are still in the phase of battery development where any given battery system is obsolete in just a few years. And mowers use MUCH larger (and more expensive) batteries than trimmers. For tools like drills, hand saws, sawzalls, impact wrenches, etc, batteries are great. For some reason, DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc, don't obsolete their battery systems as often as mower companies do. The OP asked about a "forever mower". Currently, battery powered mowers are the exact opposite. Eventually, they will get there, and I look forward to when that happens, but that time is not now.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Um, where did you prove anyone or anything wrong? Ferrari makes an EV. Ok. Does that prove anything?

I tried a battery powered trimmer years ago. I'm an electrical engineer, and I wanted to be able to "go electric". The technology was nowhere close to good enough. Now the tech IS much better, but still not the equal of gas. Power-wise, yes, electric motors can compete with gas engines, but it's energy where the batteries fall short. I have a Echo PAS attachment system. I trim, edge, and blow every week, and need a full tank of gas every time, which is about the equivalent of two 6Ah batteries, which cost more than my entire trimmer system. Current battery tech is still at the point where they lose capacity every year. So if I need the full capacity of two 6Ah batteries this year, I'll need to add another one next year. And we are still in the phase of battery development where any given battery system is obsolete in just a few years. And mowers use MUCH larger (and more expensive) batteries than trimmers. For tools like drills, hand saws, sawzalls, impact wrenches, etc, batteries are great. For some reason, DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc, don't obsolete their battery systems as often as mower companies do. The OP asked about a "forever mower". Currently, battery powered mowers are the exact opposite. Eventually, they will get there, and I look forward to when that happens, but that time is not now.
Exactly

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Why, because you might be in the very small minority?
Yes, because I'm in the very small minority that is not overrun by the liberal wokeness that is driving America and our freedom into the ground.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

What were you trying to prove? Just because every carmaker makes an ev doesn't mean that it's good or even better that gas engines. And they will not last close to as long.

View attachment 68253
View attachment 68254
Let's take the highest performance cars of tesla and lamborghini. Tesla model S vs Lamborghini Veneno. The difference? A V12 engine with a top speed of 212 mph vs a cheaply made car that just goes 0-60 in 2 seconds for whatever rare occasion you would need that acceleration.

B

bertsmobile1

Just because it is "the way to go" doesn't mean that does the job well. And why does toro snapper and stihl ma me battery powered equipment now? Because they want to follow the stupid regulations made by california for pollution. A single battery for landscaping will make more "pollution" when it is manufactured than in the lifetime of a gas mower. Climate change and global warming is a hoax guys, and you need to snap out of it. It's like yeah teslas are "the way to go" but that doesn't mean it's better than a lamborghini, or yeah, electric semi trucks would look cool and futuristic or whatever but that DOES NOT MEAN that it will last 500000 miles or more like gas semi trucks do! I can't believe I had to explain all of crap. Some people just have no filter when they're looking at news, and that's a problem guys.
First bit is correct.
No battery powered anything will reduce the overall pollution of the planet and many will actually make it worse although the actual vector for the pollution may change .

The second part is 100% incorrect global warming is very real and it has been real for decades but those who profit from the warming turned it into a partisan political wedge issue.
Unfortunately the media got carried away with the whole CO2 bit to the point that the bulk of the people believes that if they buy an EV, shove some solar panel on the roof then they can carry on as normal with their profligate ways of over consumption that are the root cause of the problems and I seriously doubt that there will be humans on the planet to celebrate the calendar clocking up 3000 BC .
Back in 72 I sat in the Physics theatre C of the University of New South Wales to listen to a couple of physicist giving a lecture on the greenhouse effect and I can sit here and say every thing they said was likely to happen has happened and is getting worse every year ON AVERAGE which is the bit that the general public are too thick to understand because they think that global warming means that every day has to be hotter than the same day last year and of course that is not how the whole climate works, never has never will and the simple proof of this is how many times have you watched a weather report and the skinny little girlie with oversized breasts perched on 6" heels said "todays temperature was average ".
If you ignore temperature which is weather & not climate then consider heat as energy, which we all know it is , then more heat in the atmosphere = more energy in the atmosphere = stronger & far more violent storms with a higher frequency than "average" & I write this while under flood watch for the second time this year when we have had more than the usual full months worth of rain in a single day.
So January 3 times the normal rain, hence flooded out , February 1/3 the normal rain , March not a drop of rain , April 13" in 2 days , 8" being the average April rainfall and most of that would normally come towards the end of the month
Last year I grew tomatoes for 8 months, normally they will only crop for 4 months
Usually I would be eating my own tomatoes for christmass lunch, this year they have only just started to ripen now .
Those $ 2 Chinese T-shirts you lot like to print messages on have drained the largest fresh water lake on the planet , The Aral Sea which is now a desert and causing salt pollution in Canada, Alaska and to a lesser extent some US border states . And this is having an effect on US & Canadian freshwater fish species as the run off becomes more & more salty .

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

What were you trying to prove? Just because every carmaker makes an ev doesn't mean that it's good or even better that gas engines. And they will not last close to as long.
Electric vehicles, mowers, and even lightbulbs are not for everyone. But electric is the way going forward whether deniers like it or not. It's foolish to think EV isn't good when every carmaker makes them. Or that battery powered yard equipment only lasts for 2 years. Suit yourself. Some people use lightbulbs while others choose to stay in the dark.

G

GearHead36

Electric vehicles, mowers, and even lightbulbs are not for everyone. But electric is the way going forward whether deniers like it or not. It's foolish to think EV isn't good when every carmaker makes them. Or that battery powered yard equipment only lasts for 2 years. Suit yourself. Some people use lightbulbs while others choose to stay in the dark.
It's foolish to think that carmakers are making EVs because they're better. They're in the business of making money. Not serving the needs of the public. With all the government subsidies, there's a lot of money to be made in EV's. Without government subsidies, there would be no EVs.

Battery powered equipment may well last more than 2 yrs. I said 3 yrs, and that applied to the batteries. Electric motors are VERY reliable. Especially if they're never run hot. They will last for decades. There are electric motors that have been in continuous service for several decades. But also, a single blockage that stops the armature can burn up a wiring in seconds. Batteries, however, still lose capacity every year. In 3 yrs of routine use, a mower battery will lose about 50% of it's capacity.

Some people are perfectly able to use lightbulbs without following every new shiny thing, especially a new shiny thing that's being forced on them by the government. Keep on blindly believing everything the government tells you.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

It's foolish to think that carmakers are making EVs because they're better. They're in the business of making money. Not serving the needs of the public. With all the government subsidies, there's a lot of money to be made in EV's. Without government subsidies, there would be no EVs.

Battery powered equipment may well last more than 2 yrs. I said 3 yrs, and that applied to the batteries. Electric motors are VERY reliable. Especially if they're never run hot. They will last for decades. There are electric motors that have been in continuous service for several decades. But also, a single blockage that stops the armature can burn up a wiring in seconds. Batteries, however, still lose capacity every year. In 3 yrs of routine use, a mower battery will lose about 50% of it's capacity.

Some people are perfectly able to use lightbulbs without following every new shiny thing, especially a new shiny thing that's being forced on them by the government. Keep on blindly believing everything the government tells you.
GearHead36 is obviously kidding, but I'll respond for anyone who may be thinking it's correct. Criminals focus on making money. Businesses focus on satisfying their customers and those who don't, can't last long. That applies to restaurants, contractors, retailers, and car companies. The idea that a car company worth $500 billion would intentionally risk it's brand name by selling low quality product is silly.

The time rechargeable batteries last is based on how many times they are recharged not just a time period. EGO batteries typically last 500 charges or around 10 years. The idea EGO batteries last only 3 years is nonsensical. After all, 3 years is only around 75 times assuming a weekly mow,

G

GearHead36

GearHead36 is obviously kidding, but I'll respond for anyone who may be thinking it's correct. Criminals focus on making money. Businesses focus on satisfying their customers and those who don't, can't last long. That applies to restaurants, contractors, retailers, and car companies. The idea that a car company worth $500 billion would intentionally risk it's brand name by selling low quality product is silly.

The time rechargeable batteries last is based on how many times they are recharged not just a time period. EGO batteries typically last 500 charges or around 10 years. The idea EGO batteries last only 3 years is nonsensical. After all, 3 years is only around 75 times assuming a weekly mow,
The objective of businesses is to make money. Full stop. If they need to have a customer focus to do that, they will. But if they don't, then they won't. The cable tv industry was (and probably still is) famous for the worst customer service of any industry. The US auto makers famously spurned Charled Demming in the 80's. The Japanese took Demming's recommendations to heart, and they dominated the auto market. The US auto makers have improved, but they will likely never catch up to the Japanese.

If you define battery life as the amount of time that a battery will accept any finite amount of charge, then 10 yrs may be right. If you define battery life as the amount of time a battery will accept the full rated charge capacity, then the life is less than one year. If a battery is emptied every time, i.e. until the mower stops, it will lose about 50% of it's capacity in 3 yrs. If a battery is discharged only 25% each use, it will last much longer.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

The objective of businesses is to make money. Full stop. If they need to have a customer focus to do that, they will. But if they don't, then they won't. The cable tv industry was (and probably still is) famous for the worst customer service of any industry. The US auto makers famously spurned Charled Demming in the 80's. The Japanese took Demming's recommendations to heart, and they dominated the auto market. The US auto makers have improved, but they will likely never catch up to the Japanese.

If you define battery life as the amount of time that a battery will accept any finite amount of charge, then 10 yrs may be right. If you define battery life as the amount of time a battery will accept the full rated charge capacity, then the life is less than one year. If a battery is emptied every time, i.e. until the mower stops, it will lose about 50% of it's capacity in 3 yrs. If a battery is discharged only 25% each use, it will last much longer.
I guess we'll just have to disagree. Obviously businesses have to make money or they'll go bankrupt. But successful businesses focus on other things: customers, employees, suppliers, communities, environment, laws, quality, integrity, and the future. Some people see the battery as half fully charged, others see it as half empty. I'm a half full guy.

B

bertsmobile1

Businesses have not given a tinkers curse about satisfying customer requirements unless you are talking about the top 5% of the market .
As for the rest it is brand loyalty , BS marketing and price point marketing.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

I guess we'll just have to disagree. Obviously businesses have to make money or they'll go bankrupt. But successful businesses focus on other things: customers, employees, suppliers, communities, environment, laws, quality, integrity, and the future. Some people see the battery as half fully charged, others see it as half empty. I'm a half full guy.
TonyPrin-

The next couple of years will tell a lot about how well battery outdoor power equipment will sell and be accepted (battery vehicles also).

There are literally cars and trucks stacked at alternate lots that are battery powered that cannot be sold. My two closest Stihl dealers are selling 90% gas and 10% battery handheld equipment. I am obviously and internal combustion engine guy (Tiger Small Engine), not motor.

By the way, Greenworks is the commercial side of battery equipment, and Ego is residential. Funny how you tout Ego over Greenworks. Are you a homeowner, guy that tinkers, or a small engine shop?

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

Businesses have not given a tinkers curse about satisfying customer requirements unless you are talking about the top 5% of the market .
bertsmobile1, I don't know you. But I believe you're a guy who tries to do your job well. Yet, for some reason you believe others don't want to do their best. You believe businesses find the cheapest shippers regardless of whether they deliver on time. You believe retailers would rather find the low-cost supplier irrespective of whether their product works. You don't understand that most businesses have competitors and that customers have options. Frankly, you don't understand business.

If you had a leaky faucet that leaked the day after the low-cost plumber fixed it, would you use that plumber next time? Apparently, you would. Well, most people wouldn't. They care about quality and satisfaction, not just price. And businesses are aware of that. Darwin could have written a book on business. It's survival of the fittest, not a bunch of uncaring fools who spend their time squeezing money from customers who don't know better.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

TonyPrin-
By the way, Greenworks is the commercial side of battery equipment, and Ego is residential. Funny how you tout Ego over Greenworks. Are you a homeowner, guy that tinkers, or a small engine shop?
TSE, I'm a retired small business owner and an admitted EGO fan with no association. I started with a 14" chainsaw, then blower, and on and on. I don't dislike gas powered equipment at all, but I believe many who try battery will love it.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

bertsmobile1, I don't know you. But I believe you're a guy who tries to do your job well. Yet, for some reason you believe others don't want to do their best. You believe businesses find the cheapest shippers regardless of whether they deliver on time. You believe retailers would rather find the low-cost supplier irrespective of whether their product works. You don't understand that most businesses have competitors and that customers have options. Frankly, you don't understand business.

If you had a leaky faucet that leaked the day after the low-cost plumber fixed it, would you use that plumber next time? Apparently, you would. Well, most people wouldn't. They care about quality and satisfaction, not just price. And businesses are aware of that. Darwin could have written a book on business. It's survival of the fittest, not a bunch of uncaring fools who spend their time squeezing money from customers who don't know better.
Businesses want to find the cheapest way possible for you to use a product until the warranty or return window is over, then things start breaking and it's just another throwaway product. Don't you think if businesses actually cared about making high quality products there wouldn't be PLASTIC, PLASTIC, PLASTIC on everything? Or mowers wouldn't have stamp decks??

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

Businesses want to find the cheapest way possible for you to use a product until the warranty or return window is over, then things start breaking and it's just another throwaway product. Don't you think if businesses actually cared about making high quality products there wouldn't be PLASTIC, PLASTIC, PLASTIC on everything? Or mowers wouldn't have stamp decks??
CG, businesses position themselves. They determine the market they want to serve and then provide goods or services to meet that market need. For example, there's Walmart and Tiffany's each of which sell jewelry to different customers. We can't blame Walmart for not selling products offered in Tiffany's as each sells jewelry their customers want. The same applies to Hyper Tough and Ferris mowers. Each serves a different need and customer base.

Just as we can find 10 caret and 24 caret rings, we can find products made of plastic or metal. Don't blame that on the manufacturer or retailer. Rather it's the customer who decides what they want and are willing to pay. No one forces us to shop in Walmart rather than Tiffany's.

old yooper

old yooper

One of the easiest ways (most of the time) to tell if your IC engine powered lawnmower is going last for a very long time is if it has a oil filter. The mowers equipped with oil filters are generally on the commercial side and are priced accordingly. (you do have to change the filter regularly though)

C

*CPB*

To the OP, if you're already planning on mulching wet grass that should have been mowed several days earlier, then lawn care sounds like it's going to be a chore for you. Get a Honda. They have composite decks that won't rust from having wet grass packed into them from not being scraped. They're not red, but the engine covers are.

M

MikeH62

Hello all! I recently purchased my first home. The house is located on 1/3 acre lot. Im looking to buy a long lasting lawnmower. Here are my requirements, all of them don’t need to be satisfied but preferred.

☐20" cutting width ( yard has allot of landscaping and tight spots, I like smaller cutting path )

☐Powerful and strong torque engine that doesn’t stall in knee high grass on a damp Saturday morning when the wife is yelling at you to cut the dam grass.

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

For 1/3rd ac. I'd buy a rider or zero turn used of course then a smal 20" push for cleanup work in tight areas. That's just me though. My yard man 22" works great for me.

K

kinard

Looks like most people like their Toro, I agree. Can't wear them out; they always start and you can find parts if needed.

J

jviews12

I have a very different answer to your question. As you're a new homeowner who wants forever, I'd go battery powered. Consider the EGO LM2135SP. The mower's battery is interchangeable with other equipment such as a hedge and string trimmers, chainsaws, and blowers. Talk to EGO Power or a local dealer about battery options. This will save you substantially over time. IMO, battery powered equipment is the way of the future and starting out is the best time to begin. BTO, I have no association.
I have electric mower but only 5,000 sq ft. I could not imagine using electric for 3 times or 15,000 sq ft lawn. I would need 4 - 40 volt batteries for such a job, and in truth, it has not much torque. I doubt it would last for 20 years, as a matter, i would bet it fails before 20 years. Yes, electric is great for me as my property is 50x100 = 5,000 sq ft - house, and we do the neighbor also, but not for real property. (I have a spare mower just in case first breaks).

B

BTBO

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

All I would add is TO NOT cut the grass while it's wet. It's bad for the grass plus wet grass makes for much build-up under the deck. If you're not into cleaning it regularly, it'll promote rust and ultimately a pre-maturely rotted out deck.

R

rberman999

It’s not that electrical isn’t the way to go, yes someday it will be, but not today for the masses. First, if everyone switched to all electric vehicles at the snap of the fingers the electrical grid would be overwhelmed by 5-10 times its present capacity. I believe that number to be seriously low but that’s what “experts” say. Not sure about where you live, but I don’t see massive electrical grid updates going on in my back yard, do you? Second, today in the US, the majority of electric is generated by natural gas, not solar, wind or hydro electric. So charging your electric car makes and adds to global warming CO2. Third, the CO2 generation of earth moving equipment to create the Li ion batteries requires a car to travel roughly 86,000 miles just to “break” even in CO2 generation(the 86,000 miles may include the overall manufacturing process, I don’t fully remember). Next, the cold (real cold) weather severely reduces the amount of miles your long range battery will deliver. For example, a 320 mile battery may deliver 125-175 miles in sub 30 degree weather(less miles the colder out it is). Mileage estimates for the long range batteries are based on a mixture of 60% city driving and 40% highway. Takes lots of electrical energy to make an electric car travel 70 mph. Also the driving range is based on spring or fall driving weather, not summer when it is hot out and you need the a/c, not winter when it is cold out and you need heat. Another concern, high speed accidents, between electric to electric vehicles, if an Li ion battery is split open and exposed to O2 they tend to burst into flames. Today, what is the likelihood two electric cars are in a high speed head on accident, must be very small. Finally, talk with people who have issues with their Tesla vehicles, first, if you can get the parts (that is the Tesla dealership to do the repairs) only Tesla can repair your vehicle as Tesla will not sell the parts to you or a mechanic of your choice or even a body repair shop. Some Tesla vehicles are being junked due to lack of collision body parts, and these are very fixable cars. I’ll finish up with two last items, it will take a generation before you will be able to have an all electric car repaired at a local mechanic, so to speak, so you will only be able to have the manufacturer repair your car for many years. Also, to address why all the car companies are marketing all electric vehicles , well, electric cars have a significant number less parts than ICE vehicles, so they take less labor to manufacture them and as I stated many less parts, yet they are significantly more expensive, so bottom line profit margins are significantly better with all electric vehicles. So, as I started, future, maybe 35-50 years, electric should be for the masses, just not today. Good luck with your all electric vehicles, lawn mowers and saws, included because I wasted money on a battery operated circular saw (big mistake).

S

sailingharry

I bought my first battery powered mower in the late 90's, a Black and Decker. I loved it so much that in the early 2000's, after my divorce, I bought a used one that needed parts (new motor armature, a few other internal parts -- all readily available). Fixed it up, and sold it with my house when I got remarried in 2022. In that 20 years, I replaced the batteries (~$100 on Amazon) a time or three. It used the heavy, low performing, short life lead-acid batteries -- if my Ryobi cordless tools are any indication of lithium battery life, the new ones should be even better! And being 100% plastic, nothing rusts away.

So, yeah, battery powered mowers can easily last 20-30 years, and parts are available, at least in this sample size of one.

S

sailingharry

And so now we understand that NO manufacturer of ANY product actually wants it to work. Battery powered mowers, trimmers, tools, cars, etc are all built to the bare minimum "out the door" quality level, with every possible corner cut. And that applies to gas mowers, push mowers, scythes, clippers, all of it.

And it's all brand loyalty, as seen here where some say Toro is the very best with no returns, and others say they all come back.

S

sailingharry

CG, businesses position themselves. They determine the market they want to serve and then provide goods or services to meet that market need. For example, there's Walmart and Tiffany's each of which sell jewelry to different customers. We can't blame Walmart for not selling products offered in Tiffany's as each sells jewelry their customers want. The same applies to Hyper Tough and Ferris mowers. Each serves a different need and customer base.

Just as we can find 10 caret and 24 caret rings, we can find products made of plastic or metal. Don't blame that on the manufacturer or retailer. Rather it's the customer who decides what they want and are willing to pay. No one forces us to shop in Walmart rather than Tiffany's.
True words! Some people insist on top quality for everything -- a Snap-On tool is worth it, even if you only use this weird tool 5 times in your life. Others are quite happy with a Harbor Freight at a fraction of the cost, fully expecting that it will last at least the 5 times they will use it and their kids can throw it out when they die. And one person may be both types -- for the tool they use 5 times a week, it's Snap-On, for the tool for once a decade, it's Harbor Freight. But there is a difference between building/buying to a price point, and thinking that Tesla is built to the same shoddy standard as Yugo.

J

jagg2236

How long does the battery last in months/years & what is the cost of a replacement battery? Usually the replacement battery is almost as much as the tool.

S

sailingharry

I have a somewhat similar conundrum. I'm not a new owner (I'm retired), but need a new mower and have a similar lawn (mine is a little larger, closer to 1/2 acre)
1/3 Acre is about 15,000 square feet. With a 20" mower (call it 1.5' wide), the cutting route would be 15,000/1.5, or 10,000 feet. With ~5000 feet in a mile, that's a two mile walk. A wider cutting path makes for a shorter walk.

Unfortunately, push mowers (mostly) only come in ~20" decks. A very few (and pricey) come in 30" decks.

Riding/walk behind/zero turn/etc rarely come below 46" which is massive overkill for a homeowner (yes, a commercial guy would do your yard with a 60" mower, but he's doing 10 lawns that day) and not appropriate in landscaping/tight spots. Not to mention a pain to store for that small residential lot.

Us homeowners with "larger small lots" have limited choices. You say you want 20" width, and you may want it (but I suspect you'll tire of 90 minute mow jobs in the heat of summer!). But our lawns cry out for 28-36 mowers, a void in the market.

V

VegetiveSteam

Another vote for Toro. And if you want battery powered, Toro makes those too.

I'm going to assume you were exaggerating to make a point that you wanted something powerful, but if you find something in your budget, that will mow knee high damp grass on any morning including Saturday mornings without stalling, I think we'd all love to know what it is.

J

jagg2236

True words! Some people insist on top quality for everything -- a Snap-On tool is worth it, even if you only use this weird tool 5 times in your life. Others are quite happy with a Harbor Freight at a fraction of the cost, fully expecting that it will last at least the 5 times they will use it and their kids can throw it out when they die. And one person may be both types -- for the tool they use 5 times a week, it's Snap-On, for the tool for once a decade, it's Harbor Freight. But there is a difference between building/buying to a price point, and thinking that Tesla is built to the same shoddy standard as Yugo.
Snap-on, Mac etc are great tools if your making a living with them & Harbor Freight can compare with the "Yugo" per say. But there are great in-between tools, Craftsman is just one for example.

MyGrassHasCrabs

MyGrassHasCrabs

How long does the battery last in months/years & what is the cost of a replacement battery? Usually the replacement battery is almost as much as the tool.

Harbor Freight is giving away the tools if you buy a battery LOL

D

d2wing

You are delusional if you believe what you write. Must be a textbook guy with no real experience. My son-in-law is like you , bought all electric stuff for his new house. It didn't take long for him to switch to a gas mower. I have had two electric mowers and a very small one as well. Batteries are a huge problem as well as controllers failing. You are full of BS.

G

Gord Baker

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

Nothing available to meet your needs at 3X the budget. Burn knee high grass or get a scythe. Wait til it dries.

M

MichaelSwan

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

JMTCW, I am 78 and most of the best mowers I have used were 2 cycle and all old. First was a Lawnboy made by OMC, then a Jacobsen 321 and now I have a Toro Proline, commercial with a Suzuki 5.5hp. all were push and I mowed a 1/2 lot with them. Easy to maintain, I would let someone talk me out of one and then move up to the next one. I am using the Suzuki now but as a trim mower on 2 acres with my John Deere riding mower doing the heavy work. None would cut knee high grass, but could handle 8" easily. Since I have had knee surgery I picked up a John Deere JS26 off the side of the road, put in a new plug and cleaned the carburetor and mow with it as it is self propelled. So far it is a good mower. I only bought one new walk behind mower and that was a Honda when they came out in the 80s. It was still running great when I traded it in 2008 for a set of brakes on my truck. Good luck, don't be scared of used if you know the basics of how they work.

DepDad

DepDad

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

I recommend a HRX-217 Honda mower.

Avman

Avman

Worn drive gears from an older mower is to be expected. Metal on metal is going wear down over time. That is no reason to avoid a particular mower.

R

RevB

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

1713022309295.jpeg

S

scoyote

I'm going with the majority on here---imho an older pre 2018 super recycler with a Quantum Briggs engine and an auto choke--no blade clutch cables to mess with---That's what i would pick without going back too old. Parts readily available --easy to work on--I've been doing this a long time!

Avman

Avman

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

I love my Toro personal pace. As with any piece of equipment if you keep up on maintenance it will last a long time.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

You are delusional if you believe what you write. Must be a textbook guy with no real experience. My son-in-law is like you , bought all electric stuff for his new house. It didn't take long for him to switch to a gas mower. I have had two electric mowers and a very small one as well. Batteries are a huge problem as well as controllers failing. You are full of BS.
Approx 25% of push mowers and 50% of other yard equipment (like trimmers and chainsaws) sold today are electric. But you think everyone should stop doing so because your son-in-law didn't like one. Don't be silly.

C

crypkema

I don't have a lot of experience in buying lawn mowers. Mine have lasted decades. I do have a lot of experience in owning a lawn mower. :D My yard is .41 acres. So if anything, I have a bit more mowing to do than you do.

My second lawnmower was a Murray, I think. The important thing was the engine. It had a Honda engine. A nice feature that may be impossible to find today with the nanny state protecting you from yourself, is the engine speed was totally independent from any walking speed. In other words, you could run it at idle over areas like gravel or newly seeded grass that had just started growing and then go to full throttle in the thicker grass.

The second most important thing to me was the lawn mower deck. Some lawn mowers are designed to bag efficiently...and they stick a mulching blade on it and call it a mulching lawn mower. You want a deck that'll let the clippings be tossed upwards and then be recut as they fall.

I kept that lawn mower for 26+ years with little to no maintenance. The oil was changed every year. I'd change the sparkplug (or clean it) about every 7-10 years. You can blow out the loose debris from the air filter with your leaf blower as you're cleaning up. I generally would change the air filter when I changed the spark plug...which wasn't often at all. I didn't baby it, and it kept going like the Energizer bunny.

Spare parts? Didn't need any. When I did need a spark plug or air filter, the local hardware store sold them. They're cheap and pretty standard. The only other thing I changed was the wheels. The hub area would eventually wear out. But that took a lot of use and many years.

I bought push lawn mowers. :D When I get to needing a "self-propelled" lawnmower, I'll probably move into an old folks home. ;) I've used lawnmowers with a drive before and they have their drawbacks. If you're trying to cut close to trees, flower beds and the like, you don't want your wheels spinning away, or to be trying to hold the lawnmower back. If your grass is fairly new and wet (like in the Spring or Fall), having those wheels spinning while you're barely moving can rip the grass up. While the manufacturers have probably made that drawback a lesser problem, my guess is that is the part that will fail the most. The complexity will lead to failure. And when it fails, you have a heavy lawnmower to push till you buy another or fix it.

I bought another lawn mower finally after having that second one last for so long. I tried to find virtually the same thing. I bought a Craftsman M140 from Lowe's Hardware. https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...-Push-Lawn-Mower-with-Honda-Engine/1000705996

That model is no longer sold, but the link will show you what it looks like and what features it has...or doesn't have.
09849303.jpg

Electric lawnmowers...you're at the borderline with 1/3 acre on making those work well. The batteries are the weak link. If you use the batteries a lot, they'll last. Sometimes. But if you put them away (like over the winter), they may not. And the battery you use for a lawnmower is generally larger than you'd use for hand tools. The cost of new batteries, can easily get close to what you spend on a new gas lawnmower. I bought a number of Ryobi hand tools. The design seemed good and the price was decent. I pulled out my edger to use the next spring and the battery was dead. A new battery was close to what I paid for the edger+battery originally. And you won't know the battery is dead till you get ready to use it. Count on buying two batteries, because if you get almost done...and your battery runs out of juice...and the rain is coming in...well, that sucks.

Good luck.

D

dad7432

get a life
Really dude.
Reported

S

stihlmania

Look for a Snapper Hi Vac. Mine was purchased new in 1996, was 700 bucks then. Still have all the original attachments. I mow 1 acre but don’t bag much. Recycling/ mulching is great. All parts are available aftermarket. Original Briggs 6 , does not smoke. Oil change every year. Wore out rear tires 4 years ago. I still look to find another Big 6 but never see them for sale.

D

dad7432

I gotta chime in here. You sound like you need to seriously open your mind and welcome yourself to the 21st Century. It's not 1945-75 anymore. Electric battery powered mowers are for now and they are real.

A few of my neighbors have battery powered electrics, and one has had his for almost a decade. One has replaced the battery. One has a rider that's electric (which I don't really like). The only maintenance I've seen is blade sharpening. No fuel, no draining gas, no oil adding or changing oil, no tune ups, no gas spoilage, no mechanic. Maybe that last one is the real problem here.

No, these things are not green cool aid. They work and they work well. No I wouldn't buy a electric yard tractor or zero turn, but mainly due to cost and lack of run time / battery capacity. If all you have is a 1/3 acre or less or a moderate sized suburbanite/urban yard, all you need is a 21 or 22 inch electric self propelled mower.

The manufacturers know it, even gas engine makers know it. Why do you think gas engine mowers ads talk about one pull starting, no oil changes and electric start options? Because they are trying to compete with electrics. The fact is that gas powered mowers are losing market share. Even Honda, who made some of the best small engine mowers has pulled the plug. Pun intended.

D

dad7432

Climate change and global warming is a hoax guys, and you need to snap out of it.
Folks:
I think I see what the real problem here is.
What we have here is another person who has decided to stick with solutions and facts from 50 years ago.

I am a ski instructor. Been skiing for 55 years. Don't tell me that there is no climate change unless you call it what it really is: "Climate Warming" is what it should be called, because that is what is really happening out here in the real world.

My employer has kept statistics that go back to 1958 (when they opened) on snowstorms, seasonal snow totals, daily and temperatures, number of days below freezing (days we can make snow). Days of rain.... and it all points to climate warming. But you are stuck in a mindset that doesn't want to hear, maybe doesn't want to understand.

Ignored

D

dad7432

I would agree that for the professional landscaper mower service, electric is not there. But for harry homeowner, an electric is a forever mower. For the 20-22 inch mower for the homeowner, we are already there, and have been for 5 years. Yes batteries are going to get better, but if all you need is a 22 inch mower to run for 2 hours a week.... battery power is the way to go.

D

dad7432

Us homeowners with "larger small lots" have limited choices. You say you want 20" width, and you may want it (but I suspect you'll tire of 90 minute mow jobs in the heat of summer!). But our lawns cry out for 28-36 mowers, a void in the market.
Which is one reason I have kept my mini rider (MTD/Yardman Yardbug) with its 27 inch blade for 25 years. Its a weird one, with the bagging basket under the seat.

D

dad7432

It’s not that electrical isn’t the way to go, yes someday it will be, but not today for the masses. First, if everyone switched to all electric vehicles at the snap of the fingers the electrical grid would be overwhelmed by 5-10 times its present capacity. I believe that number to be seriously low but that’s what “experts” say. Not sure about where you live, but I don’t see massive electrical grid updates going on in my back yard, do you? Second, today in the US, the majority of electric is generated by natural gas, not solar, wind or hydro electric. So charging your electric car makes and adds to global warming CO2. Third, the CO2 generation of earth moving equipment to create the Li ion batteries requires a car to travel roughly 86,000 miles just to “break” even in CO2 generation(the 86,000 miles may include the overall manufacturing process, I don’t fully remember). Next, the cold (real cold) weather severely reduces the amount of miles your long range battery will deliver. For example, a 320 mile battery may deliver 125-175 miles in sub 30 degree weather(less miles the colder out it is). Mileage estimates for the long range batteries are based on a mixture of 60% city driving and 40% highway. Takes lots of electrical energy to make an electric car travel 70 mph. Also the driving range is based on spring or fall driving weather, not summer when it is hot out and you need the a/c, not winter when it is cold out and you need heat. Another concern, high speed accidents, between electric to electric vehicles, if an Li ion battery is split open and exposed to O2 they tend to burst into flames. Today, what is the likelihood two electric cars are in a high speed head on accident, must be very small. Finally, talk with people who have issues with their Tesla vehicles, first, if you can get the parts (that is the Tesla dealership to do the repairs) only Tesla can repair your vehicle as Tesla will not sell the parts to you or a mechanic of your choice or even a body repair shop. Some Tesla vehicles are being junked due to lack of collision body parts, and these are very fixable cars. I’ll finish up with two last items, it will take a generation before you will be able to have an all electric car repaired at a local mechanic, so to speak, so you will only be able to have the manufacturer repair your car for many years. Also, to address why all the car companies are marketing all electric vehicles , well, electric cars have a significant number less parts than ICE vehicles, so they take less labor to manufacture them and as I stated many less parts, yet they are significantly more expensive, so bottom line profit margins are significantly better with all electric vehicles. So, as I started, future, maybe 35-50 years, electric should be for the masses, just not today. Good luck with your all electric vehicles, lawn mowers and saws, included because I wasted money on a battery operated circular saw (big mistake).

Or more concisely put:
There is a good reason for range anxiety for cars and trucks. LI batteries can be dangerous cause they catch fire and are hard to put out. We don't have the infrastructure in place to support an all electric fleet. Electric cars are going to put many mechanics out of business and hurt car dealer profits at the service bay. Despite the fact that it should be cheaper and easier to make an electric car, its not because the batteries are so costly.

None of these things apply to my mowers, which are kept in a shed. Plus I believe in and have fire insurance.

K

Kipan

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

Some of the used things I have purchased worked fine. Some did not. Its kind of a crap shoot, buying used.
So why not buy NEW, if you intend it to last FOREVER? I'm wary of buying something that someone else got rid of. I have found in my 82 years that it best to buy from a dealer rather than a big box store. Reason being that BB Stores sell many things at price points for the person that needs it to last just a few years. A lawn mower dealer can educate you on which mower of a particular brand is good, better or best. And once you purchase, you have a place to take it for repairs. Most of the better or best mowers will last many years if you do your part maintaining it. Home Depot and Lowes carry Brand name products. But the dealers don't sell the same ones, because they are lesser quality.

As side note. last year I purchased the best E-GO battery powered chain saw that Lowes offered. . Because my 20+ year old Stihl saw would not start, and a pine tree had broken off about 10 feet from the ground. I needed a saw quickly. Stihl dealer said it would be about 3 weeks at best. The tree was about 18" diameter where I needed to cut down the still standing part. The saw had a 16" blade of which only about 14" was usable. It took about an hour of cutting time plus 2 more charges to fell that tree. I have cut many trees that size and larger with that small Stihl 170 gas saw in just a few minutes. At that point I decided I would not even try to cut up that tree and the 80+feet already down, plus limbs, into manageable sizes with that saw. Especially when I already knew the price of an extra battery. So it went back to Lowes. I was able to get the Stihl running with new fuel lines. I have several battery operated hand tools, but something that has to do hard work and batteries don't work well for me. My next door neighbor bought a battery operated lawn mower which worked OK on shorter grass, but bogged on the tougher, taller, or wet grass.

Here is some FYI that I have experienced over the years.
-Mulching mowers will often turn wet or really damp grass into a slurry that sticks to the underside of the deck causing loss of vacuum and grass exiting in lumps, if at all. My mulching mower is used mostly for pulverizing leaves in the fall
-Tall or wet grass causes more stress on the engine, spindle and blades.
-Wet or damp grass doesn't bag well. It sticks in the chute.
-tall or wet grass don't cut well at all. When the grass dries, it looks awful.
-If using ethanol fuel, use a fuel stabilizer. And even then it will often go bad over the winter, requiring a visit to the dealer and long wait times plus parts and labor expenses. I found it better to spend the extra money and use NON-ethanol fuel. You can find it by Googling "Non Ethanol gas near me".

Good luck with your quest. There are lots of good suggestions on this forum. Take what you need and leave the rest.
k

K

Ken_L

I had an old Craftsman from the late 1960s with a Briggs & Stratton engine. Replaced the deck twice and the handle three times, but the engine started and ran fine 20+ years later when I gave it to the young couple that bought my home in 1992.

MyGrassHasCrabs

MyGrassHasCrabs

JMTCW, I am 78 and most of the best mowers I have used were 2 cycle and all old. First was a Lawnboy made by OMC, then a Jacobsen 321 and now I have a Toro Proline, commercial with a Suzuki 5.5hp. all were push and I mowed a 1/2 lot with them. Easy to maintain, I would let someone talk me out of one and then move up to the next one. I am using the Suzuki now but as a trim mower on 2 acres with my John Deere riding mower doing the heavy work. None would cut knee high grass, but could handle 8" easily. Since I have had knee surgery I picked up a John Deere JS26 off the side of the road, put in a new plug and cleaned the carburetor and mow with it as it is self propelled. So far it is a good mower. I only bought one new walk behind mower and that was a Honda when they came out in the 80s. It was still running great when I traded it in 2008 for a set of brakes on my truck. Good luck, don't be scared of used if you know the basics of how they work.

I wasn't going to mention it because it's only partially relevant, but my 25-year old 2-stroke Lawnboy SilverSeries has never had anything done to it except a new blade. Started for the first time this season a couple of weeks ago. Started on the second pull. Go figure. Damn 2-stroke oil is getting really expensive, though.

RYANS'

RYANS'

I have a somewhat similar conundrum. I'm not a new owner (I'm retired), but need a new mower and have a similar lawn (mine is a little larger, closer to 1/2 acre)
1/3 Acre is about 15,000 square feet. With a 20" mower (call it 1.5' wide), the cutting route would be 15,000/1.5, or 10,000 feet. With ~5000 feet in a mile, that's a two mile walk. A wider cutting path makes for a shorter walk.

Unfortunately, push mowers (mostly) only come in ~20" decks. A very few (and pricey) come in 30" decks.

Riding/walk behind/zero turn/etc rarely come below 46" which is massive overkill for a homeowner (yes, a commercial guy would do your yard with a 60" mower, but he's doing 10 lawns that day) and not appropriate in landscaping/tight spots. Not to mention a pain to store for that small residential lot.

Yes I say you are right there is a gap in the market for medium sized mowers.

B

billypumper

I myself own a silver deck John Deere 14SB I've owned it since 1993 and it still starts on the first pull, yes it's 31 years old and counting, only thing close is a John Deere WE 80 but it has a 3 speed tranny instead of my 5 speed

T

toolboxhero

1. Take a hard look at the Ariens RAZOR 21 REFLEX™ SELF PROPELLED. It has all the features you want and the Ariens name to back it up for years. Ariens Reflex
2. You can't go wrong with Toro. The Super Recycler will also give you many years of use.
Both of these mowers are from companies that have a stellar reputation for parts and service.

I recommend staying far, far, far away from ANYTHING sold at the big box stores. They may cut well and some people swear by those cheap mowers. But, try to find parts for one of them in five years ...

G

GearHead36

I gotta chime in here. You sound like you need to seriously open your mind and welcome yourself to the 21st Century. It's not 1945-75 anymore. Electric battery powered mowers are for now and they are real.

A few of my neighbors have battery powered electrics, and one has had his for almost a decade. One has replaced the battery. One has a rider that's electric (which I don't really like). The only maintenance I've seen is blade sharpening. No fuel, no draining gas, no oil adding or changing oil, no tune ups, no gas spoilage, no mechanic. Maybe that last one is the real problem here.

No, these things are not green cool aid. They work and they work well. No I wouldn't buy a electric yard tractor or zero turn, but mainly due to cost and lack of run time / battery capacity. If all you have is a 1/3 acre or less or a moderate sized suburbanite/urban yard, all you need is a 21 or 22 inch electric self propelled mower.

The manufacturers know it, even gas engine makers know it. Why do you think gas engine mowers ads talk about one pull starting, no oil changes and electric start options? Because they are trying to compete with electrics. The fact is that gas powered mowers are losing market share. Even Honda, who made some of the best small engine mowers has pulled the plug. Pun intended.
Did you really just suggest to an electrical engineer to join the 21st Century? I'd venture that I know more about the technology surrounding battery equipment than most here. I've had gas equipment, battery equipment (admittedly older equipment), riders, pushers, and even a reel mower. I've even considered robotic mowers. Spoiler alert... they're not ready yet either unless you have a yard with very specific limitations. Size, slope, number of obstacles, etc. I use whatever tool is best for the job. I think battery equipment is good for certain applications. Drills, sawzalls, impact wrenches, chainsaw maybe if you're usage is low. Batteries might be ok for trimmers & mowers too if you have a small yard. When I moved to my current property, the 48" ZTR that came with the property was taking me almost 2 hrs to do the mowing I needed. I upgraded to a commercial 54" ZTR. I'm down to a little over an hour for each mow now. I have an Echo PAS attachment system. Every mow, I also edge, trim, and blow. I use about a full tank every time. That full tank of gas is about equal to two of the large batteries on most battery trimmers, which cost more than my power head. There's NO way battery equipment would work for me. For the OP... he wanted a "forever mower". Battery mowers have not proven themselves to be worthy of the "forever" title yet. Yes, I believe they will get there, and in some cases, they can be very good solutions. If you never discharge the battery more than 50%, the battery will likely last a long time. If you never have a breakdown, you will also have a good experience. Right now, much of the battery equipment is proprietary. If you break something on that battery mower you bought at HD or Lowes... good luck getting it repaired. Most small engine shops don't work on battery equipment. An EGO battery will not work with any other mower. And an EGO battery for a riding mower will not work in an EGO trimmer. It's too big. Gasoline scales well. Fuel tanks can be various sizes, and they still use the same fuel. Gas mowers all use the same power source. A power source, by the way, that doesn't lock you into that company's battery ecosystem. The proprietary nature of battery equipment doesn't end at batteries, either. Often, the blade(s), blade adapters, spindles, etc are also proprietary. Reason being, battery packs don't have enough energy to run a blade used on a gas mower for as long as a gas mower will. They do tricks to make batteries last longer. Like drop the blade speed based on the load. Thin grass... slower blade speed. Mfrs might also decide not to support a poor selling model very long. I've heard of Kobalt mowers that were 2 yrs old that couldn't get parts. Lack of product support is not limited to battery equipment, but mfrs like Toro, Exmark, Gravely, Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna, etc tend to do better at this than, say, Kobalt. EGO, Greenworks, etc, I'm not quite sure where they fall on this spectrum. I think EGO is better than Greenworks, which is better than Kobalt.

I love technology. I have a drone. It's way cool. It levels itself, flies the direction I want it to, even in cross winds, by using an array of sensors. It feeds me a video image that is also leveled regardless of how fast or which way it's going. It can detect obstacles, and stop itself if it's going to hit something. It has some impressive technology. And it runs off batteries, which makes sense for that application.

Bottom line... use what works, but don't blow smoke up people's you-know-what to push an agenda.

D

d2wing

Approx 25% of push mowers and 50% of other yard equipment (like trimmers and chainsaws) sold today are electric. But you think everyone should stop doing so because your son-in-law didn't like one. Don't be silly.
I have electric trimmers and had two electric mowers as well as an electric snowblower. I know more than you and your meaningless stats. You just post because you have an agenda You really don't know anything useful and are not objective at all.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

Bottom line... use what works, but don't blow smoke up people's you-know-what to push an agenda.
GearHead36, you seem to have a penchant for assigning motivation to people's opinions. Why must it be that you are the only one who's opinions are sincere and based on experience and facts. Isn't it more likely that people have differing perspectives and not just the party line. I doubt if you're a shill for the petroleum industry any more than I and others push a climate agenda.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

I have electric trimmers and had two electric mowers as well as an electric snowblower. I know more than you and your meaningless stats. You just post because you have an agenda You really don't know anything useful and are not objective at all.
I don't post because I have an agenda, only because there's nothing good on tv.

T

TobyU

Toro sucks honestly
They all pretty much suck for the past 10 years or so...

T

TobyU

If I were you I would get this Craftsman M230 21" Self propelled Push mower. I swear on my life that with proper maintenance and care, this WILL last you 20+ years. I have recommended this to over 10 people and they haven't ever had a complaint, it fits all their needs. It has the higher rear wheels, 21" cutting deck, variable speed, one pull starting, no choke or priming, adjustable bar, red deck, mulching compatible, AND a robust and easily serviceable briggs and Stratton 163cc engine with plenty of power for anything you can throw at it (literally). Parts are very widely available in case you need them. Don't even look at other junky Chinese brands like toro or EGO, they won't last 5 years. I get toros very frequently in the shop here, 4 just this month in need of major repairs. Stick to the M230 and you won't have any problems. https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...-Mower-with-Briggs-Stratton-Engine/1000673809
You are literally recommending a mower with one of the worst Briggs & Stratton engines ever built!
I have already had three or four of these engines self-destruct because the plastic camshaft literally melts and wipes the teeth off of the gear.
Now, having said this, they have already revised them at least once and maybe they will come into a better situation but these engines fall far short to the durability and longevity of the older Briggs l head that dominated for about 24 years.
Anyone would be better served to buy one of those from the 2008 to 2015 range then to buy one of these new Briggs engines.
Briggs & Stratton themselves are not looking to or trying to build an engine that will last 15 to 20 years like the previous ones. They're going for an 8-year replacement and anything over 10 years is on major borrowed time.

So while this mower, or similar ones maybe about the best you can get today, I certainly wouldn't call it quality or suggest that it may last 20 plus years.

C

ciscoii

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

Just saw this and I'm not going to read all replies! 1) cut your grass more often; 1/3 acre is nothing and it is good exercise. 2) the best push and self propelled mowers I ever had was old 1960's and 1970's mowers with a Briggs engine. I had 2 that I gave to a friend ~8 years ago to make room. They were tougher and better than the 2 Honda self-propelled I have now. I used to cut 2+ acres with that old SP as a kid....it was long with 2 little wheels in front and 2 big ones in back....late 60's I'd guess. Using non-ethanol gas is good for any small engines other than the ~$5/gallon.

T

TobyU

Man! I see a lot of blind loyalty here or loyalty from previous experiences that is not accurate with the equipment you can buy today.
Toro has been my favorite lawn mower company for a long time but that certainly doesn't mean they make the best mowers or that they don't make mistakes etc.
The problem is everything revolves around marketing and fancy features usually just on paper etc and the companies are very fickle and they change things every two or three years instead of fixing any small problems with the old design and eventually making a near perfect or at least a better mower.
They changed to completely different design like on the handle or the driving agent mechanism etc and then the whole cycle starts over to figure out what's going to fail under warranty, which they'll fix usually, but then what's going to fail year 3 through 10 which is what annoys the owners.
Let's be realistic and admit that they don't want people to keep their mowers 10 plus years and fix them but rather they want you to go out and buy a new one.
Your list is quite extensive and I kind of laughed at a couple of them suggestions are requirements because I don't see why it matters what color the lawn mower is. I certainly prefer Toros to stay red and now they've been making these nasty dark gray ones which I don't like at all because Toro was always anonymous with bowls and bullfighters and red paint was very pretty but it has no influence on my purchase decision.

People have been a little bit confusing because they've been talking about older Toros along with newer Toros and personal pace. You won't find any newer Toros that aren't 22 in. The old ones were 21 at least the basically all ones unless you go way way back but we're not talking about those.

Also, it makes very little difference whether it's a 20 or a 22. You probably won't notice the difference mowing with it unless you just so happen to have some little tiny area between a shrub and a wall or something where that answer to may make a difference but 99% of the people do not.
What does make a difference for a lot of people is the length of the mower.
Nobody ever talks about this but even on a self-propelled mower where you basically let it do all its work, you still have to change the direction a lot..
Toros are the shorter style mowers and so are troy-bilts.
The older Craftsman's made by ayp / Husqvarna are of the longer design and if you place two of these mowers side by side you will see there is about a 4 to 6 in difference in the wheelbase and the overall mower.
This link makes a world of difference into how hard it is to push down on the handle to lift the front wheels off the ground to make a turn.
Since most mowers have standard Wheels and not caster Wheels this is going to be a concern and you will notice it..
Mowers that have the front caster wheels you don't ever have to push down at all as you can push them around the corner with one finger and they just pivot in place but even though many manufacturers made models over the years like this, they never caught on and they are very very slim portion of the market and of mowers in existence.

So in reality, length is more important for use than the cutting width.

Engine horsepower rating is a moot point as they all lie anyways..
They are basically at an all-time high for power for most mowers especially self-propelled so the longevity of the engine is more of a concern.
They're all kind of finicky too now since they are all emissions compliant engines and the Briggs is the top winner right now and being the most finicky one and most likely not to start after the off-season storage.
That's a moot point though if you put fresh gas in your mower the last time you mow for the season and even less of a chance if you will put 1 oz of stabilizer into your empty 1 gallon gas can and then get the fresh gas, go home fill your mower to the very top, mow with it, then top it off when you're done. The odds are greatly your favorite it will start and run just fine next season then.

If I had to buy a new engine today I would probably go with the Kohler XT series engine.
I haven't had one single catastrophic or internal engine problem on any of these.

I've already had a handful of the new Briggs & strattons self-destruct with their plastic camshaft melting, valve train issues with rocker arm popping off a push rods and or rocker arm studs loosening up, a few blown head gaskets, and a good number of them when they had a blade strike bend the crankshaft to non-usable and a handful of them blow the entire side of the block out or crack it from the impact.

I've never been a Honda fan but you've got that blind loyalty by a lot of people that amazes me.
They are currently out of the mower making and small engine making business and the last two seasons they had the completely new design which already has had a major recall for a camshaft where they will not run or they're so hard to start you can't get them to run, and it is a major internal engine repair to fix the camshaft where is the previous design was about a 10 minute procedure.

My second pick would be any one of the Chinese built engines that are probably made by Loncin still like MTD has and so does toro.
I prefer the MTD ones or the other generic ones because Toro has used two or three different ones since they started doing this and one of the first generation ones you couldn't get any parts for because they had some things made differently just for them but no parts made so you're out of luck.
All the other ones are basically the same engine and same Parts regardless of what brand of mower it's on so parts are pretty available.

I wouldn't have ila mower that isn't self-propelled and I see a lot of failures of the front wheel mount.

I don't know what it is but it must be the way they manhandle the mower around and do a lots of maneuverability because I've had almost 10 or 12 of them in the past few years where it tears the metal off the deck and the whole wheel falls off..

If you had a self-propelled mower before then you might want to try a couple because I have found that people that get used to front wheel drive prefer to stay with front wheel drive and people who get used to rear wheel drive want to stay with that too and if you give them the opposite mower they just won't like it because it just doesn't feel right.
I also advise staying away from all wheel drive mowers because it will cost you more when you buy it and it will definitely cost you more in the future for maintenance and repair.
Some of them literally have double the parts like Toro with two transmissions, two cables, two belts

Others have one cable and two belts and two transmissions or one cable and one belt and two transmissions.
They all have four Drive Wheels which are proprietary so you have to pay whatever the price is for the replacement Wheels when the gears wear out and no longer pulls itself.
Is far better to only have two than four because on a non Drive wheel on a mower you can pretty much fit anything that fits on there and it will work just fine.
Hi rear wheel mowers are a marketing scam.
Maybe it's just me but I have mowed with thousands of mowers and I can't tell that a high rear wheel does one bit to give you -better maneuverability on rough terrain- like they say but I can guarantee you that I've seen a lot more leaning sideways and loose floppy and broken Center plastic axle sections on larger rear wheels that I have standard size rear wheels so I don't recommend them.

The slightly larger ones are fine too.
You just don't want those big 11 and 12-in wheels.

Craftsman's wheels have always been the weak link but that only matters if you're buying an old one that starts with a 917 model number because those are made by ayp/Husqvarna.
The newer ones are made by MTD and they are just a Troy bilt with different stickers.
Cub cadet is MTD.

The total personal pace is pretty easy and intuitive to use but it's also just as easy to use the front wheel drive model with the Kohler engine because it's almost impossible, it might actually be impossible, to find a personal Pace with the Kohler.

Rear wheel drive used to be more durable than front wheel drive but now you are very likely to get more life out of the front wheel drive Toro than the rear wheel drive so that's why I would get a Toro front wheel drive with a Kohler engine.

You can also consider lawn boy because they are made by Toro and basically just a green painted Toro.
They also make a smaller mower which I think it's either 19 or 20 in.
That fits one of your parameters but these will all be green.
They also tend to mostly use the Kohler engine and they also mostly have rear wheel drive but it's not the personal pay style usually. It's usually squeezing the handle but they may have a sense a speed or something like that but regardless, I have found the newer lawn boy drive system to be better than the Toro.
As quickly as they change things, it's kind of a crapshoot anyway you go.

I would stay away from Husqvarna as they're having major parts problems because they're getting out of the mower business too at least push mowers.
You can look up a drive cable on one that's only 3 to 4 years old and it will say NLA for no longer available.
Many of the aftermarket ones online don't fit.
Anyways, remember that Craftsman now is the same as Troy-Bilt and earlier in the season the best price I could find was a front-wheel drive Craftsman at Lowe's.
Pay a close attention to Toro though and check everywhere you can because I believe Toro has made some decisions on their own and no longer are playing nicely with their big buyers.

They are selling mowers to basically anyone who wants to buy them and now tractor supply has them and this may create some better pricing.

I've also found that online shopping is not very great on lawn mowers.
I've seen in the store have basically the same mower as online for 150 less.

I

I Max

I have a Toro personal pace mower with electric start and really like it. 1/3 acre is big for a 20 inch blade. I'd go bigger. I also have an electric Dewalt push mower but batteries are a problem. I had another brand electric mower but it failed in less than a year. Batteries are no longer available for the DeWalt mower. There are no repair parts either. I do like it for small areas but it can't handle tall or tough grass or large areas as I am down to my last battery.
In regards to your battery take old one to batteries plus and they can build you a fresh one.

B

borisdmower

Best advice from family friend and mower mechanic, Change the oil regularly at least every 25hours, and keep the air cleaner clean. Done this and even on a 6hp Briggs, 25 years later its still going.

M

Markdd52

Just forget all this....... get 3-4 goats... 😆

69HemiGTX

This is my forever lawnmower. It's the wrong color for you, maybe a little old at 40, and some would consider it stinky as its a two stroke, but I wouldn't give it up for the world. I use the JD 14SB it replaced as a backup now, but that's rare.
20180429_084658.jpg

G

GearHead36

GearHead36, you seem to have a penchant for assigning motivation to people's opinions. Why must it be that you are the only one who's opinions are sincere and based on experience and facts. Isn't it more likely that people have differing perspectives and not just the party line. I doubt if you're a shill for the petroleum industry any more than I and others push a climate agenda.
Because people are stating facts that just aren't true. The OP wanted a "forever" mower. The battery evangelists came in here with their recommendations. Battery equipment is not at the point where they have earned the "forever" label. Repairability is much better with gas equipment. Parts availability is better, and more shops can work on them. But frankly, the current crop of gas push mowers probably don't meet the "forever" criteria either. Most push mowers have Briggs engines, which, over the past few years, have been cheapened to the point of being a poor shadow of its former self. Briggs has started recommending no oil changes. Just top it off. Great plan to ensure an engine life of no more than 5 yrs. This is why I recommended on page 1,

"If you want a long lasting mower, I'd find a local "flipper". I.e. someone who fixes junk mowers, and resells them. They will know what is reliable and repairable. Personally, if I were buying a push mower now, I'd go with a 3-6 yr old Toro Recycler with Personal Pace. It wouldn't bother me to buy something 10 yrs old if it were in good condition."

I have a 13 yr old Toro with a Briggs flathead engine. I recently moved, and have a larger yard and a riding mower now. I don't really need a push mower any more, but I'm not getting rid of it, because if I ever want one again in the future, I don't want to be stuck with the crap that's on the market now.

I wouldn't buy anything new. And if you buy gas, change the oil every year.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

Because people are stating facts that just aren't true. The OP wanted a "forever" mower. The battery evangelists came in here with their recommendations. Battery equipment is not at the point where they have earned the "forever" label. Repairability is much better with gas equipment. Parts availability is better, and more shops can work on them. But frankly, the current crop of gas push mowers probably don't meet the "forever" criteria either. Most push mowers have Briggs engines, which, over the past few years, have been cheapened to the point of being a poor shadow of its former self. Briggs has started recommending no oil changes. Just top it off. Great plan to ensure an engine life of no more than 5 yrs. This is why I recommended on page 1,

"If you want a long lasting mower, I'd find a local "flipper". I.e. someone who fixes junk mowers, and resells them. They will know what is reliable and repairable. Personally, if I were buying a push mower now, I'd go with a 3-6 yr old Toro Recycler with Personal Pace. It wouldn't bother me to buy something 10 yrs old if it were in good condition."

I have a 13 yr old Toro with a Briggs flathead engine. I recently moved, and have a larger yard and a riding mower now. I don't really need a push mower any more, but I'm not getting rid of it, because if I ever want one again in the future, I don't want to be stuck with the crap that's on the market now.

I wouldn't buy anything new. And if you buy gas, change the oil every year.
GearHead36, let me see if I can summarize your thoughts. Electric is no good. A new mower is no good. Most gas is no good. B&S is no good. And you recommend someone ask a flipper for advice on what to buy. You don't suppose he'll happen to have just what they need in his shop.

R

Rivets

I think the OP’s questions have been answered. Time to close this thread, as it has become more I’m smarter than you on this subject.

P

PGB1

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

I'm partial to electric. No more gasoline to buy and spill, no more oil changes & other P.M. tasks. Friends have Ego, Kobalt (Lowes) and GreenWorks. They all love them and each is several years old. I believe parts for Ego and Greenworks stay available for many years. I never looked into Kobalt or the others.

I have a Lawnmaster brand and, although a durable and feature packed machine, parts are not available & have not been since it was new. Should it fail, I'll probably get Greenworks based on just-in-case research.

Plan B is attached below. These do eventually wear out, no parts are available- but they provide gas instead of using it. The neat thing is that if you get one of each gender, you never have to buy another!

Happy Mower Shopping & Home Owning!
Paul

Attachments

H

highlife65

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

I have had the best luck with 2 cycle lawnboys. I had a lawn boy with my first house. 50 some years ago. it was a 1953 OMC 21" . Now in the attic! I currently use a 1998 used 6.5 HP duraforce LB . Can't hurt them. 2cycles run forever! Cast iron cylinder!

A

Air4Dave

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

Snapper electric! You have the option of a single battery or dual. Has parts that are commonly found, red deck, quiet, proven durability over the big box store EZgo, which are junk and why there's a lot for sale on MP... and in that price range.

T

TobyU

Snapper electric! You have the option of a single battery or dual. Has parts that are commonly found, red deck, quiet, proven durability over the big box store EZgo, which are junk and why there's a lot for sale on MP... and in that price range.
I am happy to see that there are better frame options out there in battery mowers than the flimsy plastic stuff and wimpy blades the early ones were and many still are.
There is no reason not to have uniformity with the deck, wheels, handle etc. Just swap the engine for the electric motor and add the start button up top which is what they have done.
Still don't want one and don't recommend them for anyone unless they have a smaller yard and cut it often.

G

GearHead36

GearHead36, let me see if I can summarize your thoughts. Electric is no good. A new mower is no good. Most gas is no good. B&S is no good. And you recommend someone ask a flipper for advice on what to buy. You don't suppose he'll happen to have just what they need in his shop.
Isn't it odd that the only people who have a problem with my comments are the battery evangelists? None of the regulars have disputed any of my comments. Yes, the flipper will likely have "just what the customer needs". But... if he has a mower there for sale, then he just fixed it. Which means, it's repairable, and the flipper is capable of fixing it, and the mower is worth fixing He probably wouldn't waste his time on something that wasn't worth fixing.

T

TobyU

Isn't it odd that the only people who have a problem with my comments are the battery evangelists? None of the regulars have disputed any of my comments. Yes, the flipper will likely have "just what the customer needs". But... if he has a mower there for sale, then he just fixed it. Which means, it's repairable, and the flipper is capable of fixing it, and the mower is worth fixing He probably wouldn't waste his time on something that wasn't worth fixing.
Only a fairly small percentage of people in many parts are even most parts of the country have taken the plunge or chance let's say with a battery powered mower.
Just wait until it becomes more and more mainstream with some of these stupid stores actually pushing it and giving numbers and dates on how they want 80% or something like that of their outdoor power equipment to all run off of batteries.
What you're going to see is a lot more people end up with him and then once that honeymoon period is over you're going to see a lot of people wanting their old style equipment back!

Most of this battery stuff is simply too big of a sacrifice compared to what people are used to.

I've been predicting for about 3 years now that I'm not sure exactly when it will occur but that it will occur.. there will be a massive increase demand for gasoline power mowers and other outdoor power equipment and this the only place this demand is going to be fulfilled will be on the used market.
It's going to make prices skyrocket and you will see used mowers several years old but in relatively good shape, selling for as much if not more than they did when new.
It's Bizarro World, I tell you, but it's going to happen.
Then, we'll have to see if the demand lasts long enough or there is enough attention and awareness to it and see if any manufacturers actually step up to the plate to provide us with some new options of gasoline power equipment.

You know what's going to happen with people like Honda and Husqvarna getting out of the residential mower business and Briggs & Stratton officially announcing that they're no longer manufacturing snapper and simplicity residential mowers or lawn tractors.
They are going to shift their focus from these items over to some inferior performing battery powered stuff.

YES..... For anyone who wants to debate this last comment and I will say it again that battery powered outdoor power equipment is inferior to gasoline powered items in performance.
Anyone who wants to bring any of their battery powered walk behind residential mowers, blowers, string trimmers, chainsaws to me for a comparison and a contest - BRING IT ON!!

I can grab one of many items laying around here and my convenient little gas can and you can have an outlet by the house to plug into.
I guarantee you I can cut more grass per day, cut more wood per day, blow more leaves or grass per day, trim more linear feet of stray grass per day, edge more linear feet of sidewalk and driveway per day....
I also guarantee I can cut taller, more damp, more overgrown grass at a faster pace.

Maybe things will change in the future but currently, almost all of the battery powered alternatives are not proper substitutes as they come with several major sacrifices.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

Only a fairly small percentage of people in many parts are even most parts of the country have taken the plunge or chance let's say with a battery powered mower.
Just wait until it becomes more and more mainstream with some of these stupid stores actually pushing it and giving numbers and dates on how they want 80% or something like that of their outdoor power equipment to all run off of batteries.
What you're going to see is a lot more people end up with him and then once that honeymoon period is over you're going to see a lot of people wanting their old style equipment back!
Electric mowers account for 25% of annual push mower sales. Battery is the fastest growing push mower segment in the country and is expected to be 50% of mower sales by 2030. But you're correct that Home Depot announced a goal to have battery-powered products drive more than 85 percent of its outdoor lawn equipment sales (including trimmers, blowers, and similar tools) sales by 2028. So, the future is here.

T

TobyU

Electric mowers account for 25% of annual push mower sales. Battery is the fastest growing push mower segment in the country and is expected to be 50% of mower sales by 2030. But you're correct that Home Depot announced a goal to have battery-powered products drive more than 85 percent of its outdoor lawn equipment sales (including trimmers, blowers, and similar tools) sales by 2028. So, the future is here.
I was also correct with everything else I stated. Lol
Correct for now because I used words like "currently".
You have to watch statistics and numbers and see exactly what number you're looking at because while your stated number of 25% of annual push more sales quite accurate (and in fact the number has been growing every season) the number of people who have or those who use a battery-powered mower is less than the percentage of annual sales.
If we're sticking to facts and numbers.

See what I'm saying?
Gasoline powered mowers have been the normal for so long that when we started out with 100% or basically close to that it will take a good number of years of 25% of all the new people who buy mowers buying battery powered, for the percentage of overall mowers to end up with even 25% of the total number being battery powered mowers.
We could actually come up with the exact number of years it would take if for the percentage of ownership to approach 25% but that would require us to know the total number of owners in the group (and technically for it to remain static) and know the number of annual sales which also would have to remain consistent AND to be really accurate the rate of growth of the battery powered mower segment would also have to make remake consistent at 25% annually and as I mentioned in my first post, that's not going to happen.
If in 2023 which we would be lucky if we have this statistics and they're accurate,. 25% of the push mowers sold where battery powered, then that number is likely to be at least 27 to 28 if not 30% or slightly more in 2024.
As I mentioned in my earlier post or at least one of them, this number is growing each year for now.
When that number will hit its peak, we really don't know.
As you mentioned, they have predictions but they will likely be three or four years off one way or the other.

Your post comes across like many of the post in Auto groups where people are Tesla or at least battery powered car fan-people....without being bashing about gasoline like they seem to always do. Lol

I am quite transparent about the fact that I can't stand battery powered mowers and couldn't stand the corded electric plug-in mowers from decades ago either. I also can't stand the corded plug-in hedge trimmers and feel they all belong in the trash.
I also love reciprocating internal combustion engines. I really don't like rotary, axial or a lot of the other designs and I should also clarify that I really don't like diesel either even though it is the closest thing to what I like.
I don't need reasons for these preferences and personal preferences can't be wrong. 😆 😂

My factual statements I have made in the past and recently, still remain true for the situations I make them about which are most and or many situations.
A very large percentage of people who have had no real complaints or qualms cutting there grass when they want to, have to make certain concessions and sacrifices when they switch over to a battery powered mower.
I'm also quite clear, typically, to point out there are a couple of real convenient benefits but for most people these benefits do not outweigh the other multiple sacrifices or changes from their typical experience to make up for switching.

I feel that eventually, the products will overcome a couple of these hurdles, (maybe just one.)
I think they just made it the battery capacity to where it needs to be but then I feel the next weak link will be the motor longevity / durability because if there's enough battery power to it to operate for extended periods of time, we are likely to have more failures just like the old corded electric mowers did with their push button resets etc that people will continue to reset until the motor was done.

Then I think another big hurdle of having comparable power and ability to mow grass that's quite overgrown, thick, damp will not come into mainstream like I wish it would.

If a battery powered mower did all the important things like a gasoline-powered mower in having the exact same amount of power and torque for spinning hat blade (or even more like in cars) and would run an hour on a single battery charge AND if for the same price, they came with at least two batteries so you had a quick "refill" like you can do with gas AND if in 10 plus years, it was still providing the same amount of torque and same amount of run time on that same battery ....THEN they would be an equivalent substitute.
Currently, they simply are not.

Will they ever fully get there? I doubt they will meet all these parameters but they will overcome some of the hurdles and get better.
Also, the comparison between the two will get closer because they've already been making gasoline mowers, especially engines more substandard and shorter lasting so the having same operation for 10 plus years or even 15 or 20 like so many people have experienced isn't really going to be an option with anything you buy new.

What a way for an entire industry to self-screw itself...

I do find it interesting though to just sit back like a fly on the wall and watch the crap that unveils.
Remember my prediction that won't be widely publicized but there will be articles about it...about people wanting to go back to their old gasoline mowers because of the annoyances of battery powered ones mostly relating to the battery capacity, price, lifespan.

I'll be over here with my collection of dozens of nice little gasoline small air-cooled engines having a hoot of a fun time. I really do like them.
I hate lawn mowers though!
I've said many times and told many people that I hate the machines, and specially on riders the deck and everything about that.
But apparently, most people don't have much use for a riding mower that doesn't cut grass and even less use for little push mower engines unless they're on a push mower cutting grass because that's the application for the vast majority of them.
I just like them but don't like the equipment they're on and can't stand the fact that we're still cutting grass in 2024 and that most people will continue to do it until they die, or until they're too old to physically do it.
Then of course there's those that pay to get it done but that doesn't solve the problem in my eye.
It's still something that humans have to do and they have to do it almost weekly and I feel it's ridiculous.

T

TobyU

Also, I have to laugh at your last line about the future is here.
Like battery powered or electric mowers and or tools are anything new.
Same with cars as we're on about the fourth rendition of battery powered cars in this world. Lol
In fact, a friend of mine had a Black & Decker battery powered mower back around 2001 from what I remember that was better than most the ones in the market today because it came with two large batteries that were basically the size of a car battery with a handle on top and you dropped it right into place on top of the mower and it would know for a lot longer than these ones in the market today.

So battery powered outdoor power equipment isn't anything new or the future, it's been around before but it really didn't get widely accepted and didn't take off and the main reason for this is that we already had equipment that did the jobs we needed to do and it they did it better.
So people said - That's neat but too bad that don't work as well...or something along those lines.

In the past, it's been about getting the job done and having a good price and a long lifespan etc.
Nothing was forced, encouraged, coerced my other influences like it is being today.
These things are just another reason I will push some people away but with Italia results they win because with these tactics they will get more than they will lose.
But I will refrain from making my comments on the overall world! -for now.

G

GearHead36

Way to, once again, evangelize for battery equipment ("the future is here"), while ignoring almost everything TobyU said.

The OP provided a wishlist for his mower. A few of the key ones were:

- Powerful and strong torque engine that doesn’t stall in knee high grass on a damp Saturday morning

- Commonly found parts

- "Forever" mower

Each of these criteria, by themselves, are sufficient to rule out all battery mowers. Unfortunately, nothing made in the last 5 yrs, gas or battery powered, will meet all of these criteria. Planned obsolescence has been a problem for decades, but only in the last 5 yrs or so in the OPE industry. This means that there ARE gas powered mowers that meet this criteria, but nothing battery powered.

Battery mowers CAN be the right solution in some situations. If the OP wanted something quiet to mow 500 sq ft, I wouldn't recommend a 60" commercial ZTR. I would probably recommend a manual reel mower, with a battery mower as an alternative. Trying to force battery equipment as the right solution when it's not is just foolish, and looks a LOT like pushing an agenda.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

Way to, once again, evangelize for battery equipment ("the future is here"), while ignoring almost everything TobyU said.
GearHead36, for some reason you insist on personalizing comments. Like most others, I have opinions, not agendas. I don't "evangelize" any more than those who prefer gas or human power.

G

GearHead36

GearHead36, for some reason you insist on personalizing comments. Like most others, I have opinions, not agendas. I don't "evangelize" any more than those who prefer gas or human power.
Then stop giving the wrong advice when it's clearly wrong for the application. I acknowledge that battery equipment CAN be the right answer sometimes. You suggest that battery equipment is always the answer. That sounds like agenda, not opinion.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

Then stop giving the wrong advice when it's clearly wrong for the application. I acknowledge that battery equipment CAN be the right answer sometimes. You suggest that battery equipment is always the answer. That sounds like agenda, not opinion.
GearHead36, you have a one-track mind. You're right and only your opinion is possible. Anyone with a different opinion must be motivated by some agenda or impure rationale.

I've never suggested that electric is always the answer. I accept it's not right for large property and I'm not a believer yet for riding mowers or zero turn. And I think gas often makes sense for someone interested and/or capable of doing his own maintenance. But for someone in a first home like the OP, electric can be a good solution. For someone with little mower knowledge like the OP, electric can be a good solution as it requires minimal maintenance. Many posts here concern people who have serious problems with gas equipment because they don't understand simple things like changing the oil or not using stale gas.

This is my last response to your posts here so post or not, I don't care. I don't know what the 36 means, but the GearHead explains a lot.

B

Booshcat

Toro sucks honestly
And your contribution to the discussion is?

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

They are switching to electric so they can continue to sell their crap in California after they ban gas landscaping equipment. Just because "25% of push mowers and 50% of other yard equipment" is electric doesn't mean that it is made to last. They are made to be used, thrown away, and bought again. Also, the batteries are so freaking expensive. Landscapers use their machines many hours a day, and say the batteries lasted 45 minutes, they would need 5+ batteries! And that's just if it's a one person crew, several people working is even more expensive.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

And your contribution to the discussion is?
I am helping the op avoid crap that won't last. What's your contribution? Nothing

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Folks:
I think I see what the real problem here is.
What we have here is another person who has decided to stick with solutions and facts from 50 years ago.

I am a ski instructor. Been skiing for 55 years. Don't tell me that there is no climate change unless you call it what it really is: "Climate Warming" is what it should be called, because that is what is really happening out here in the real world.

My employer has kept statistics that go back to 1958 (when they opened) on snowstorms, seasonal snow totals, daily and temperatures, number of days below freezing (days we can make snow). Days of rain.... and it all points to climate warming. But you are stuck in a mindset that doesn't want to hear, maybe doesn't want to understand.

Ignored
You are a ski instructor...on a mower forum... That says a lot

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Don't assume someone's age, just because we may seem "older" because we know how to judge the true quality of what we are buying doesn't mean we ARE OLD. FYI I am 13, been working on these small engines for 3 years, and have $10000 in the bank account. You may ask how I did this? I am not affected by the liberal wokeness all around me and I simply look at what has been tested and proven for many years. In case you do not know what I am talking about, it is called a gasoline engine. It has been used since 1864 and the reason it has been used to this day because of one phrase. "Complexity will lead to failure" as said above. Gasoline engines are not complex which is why they last a long time. Electric mowers on the other hand...

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

he is not saying gas is not good, rather older mowers were built to higher standards than they are today

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

The OP provided a wishlist for his mower. A few of the key ones were:

- Powerful and strong torque engine that doesn’t stall in knee high grass on a damp Saturday morning

- Commonly found parts

- "Forever" mower

Each of these criteria, by themselves, are sufficient to rule out all battery mowers. Unfortunately, nothing made in the last 5 yrs, gas or battery powered, will meet all of these criteria. Planned obsolescence has been a problem for decades, but only in the last 5 yrs or so in the OPE industry. This means that there ARE gas powered mowers that meet this criteria, but nothing battery powered.

Battery mowers CAN be the right solution in some situations. If the OP wanted something quiet to mow 500 sq ft, I wouldn't recommend a 60" commercial ZTR. I would probably recommend a manual reel mower, with a battery mower as an alternative. Trying to force battery equipment as the right solution when it's not is just foolish, and looks a LOT like pushing an agenda.
And just "commonly found parts" can't apply to a battery mower because, surprise, it's not worth taking the time and money to replace said parts. Which means that parts will fail naturally as they do and the mower will eventually be rendered unusable and potentially dangerous and won't last forever. They need to start teaching "common sense class" at schools.

R

Rivets

Once again I say this thread has run its course and should be locked. It’s gotten into I’m smarter than you are and my opinion is the only right solution. The OP’s question has been answered and if you want to argue open up the conversation section, no one’s going to win.

Lawn Mower Repair Tulsa

Lawn Mower Repair Tulsa

Congrats on your new home! Consider the Honda HRX217K6VKA or Toro Recycler 22" Smarts tow for durability and performance. The Craftsman M275 is also a good option. Remember to inspect any used mowers carefully. Happy mowing!

2muchgrass2mow

First bit is correct.
No battery powered anything will reduce the overall pollution of the planet and many will actually make it worse although the actual vector for the pollution may change .

The second part is 100% incorrect global warming is very real and it has been real for decades but those who profit from the warming turned it into a partisan political wedge issue.
Unfortunately the media got carried away with the whole CO2 bit to the point that the bulk of the people believes that if they buy an EV, shove some solar panel on the roof then they can carry on as normal with their profligate ways of over consumption that are the root cause of the problems and I seriously doubt that there will be humans on the planet to celebrate the calendar clocking up 3000 BC .
Back in 72 I sat in the Physics theatre C of the University of New South Wales to listen to a couple of physicist giving a lecture on the greenhouse effect and I can sit here and say every thing they said was likely to happen has happened and is getting worse every year ON AVERAGE which is the bit that the general public are too thick to understand because they think that global warming means that every day has to be hotter than the same day last year and of course that is not how the whole climate works, never has never will and the simple proof of this is how many times have you watched a weather report and the skinny little girlie with oversized breasts perched on 6" heels said "todays temperature was average ".
If you ignore temperature which is weather & not climate then consider heat as energy, which we all know it is , then more heat in the atmosphere = more energy in the atmosphere = stronger & far more violent storms with a higher frequency than "average" & I write this while under flood watch for the second time this year when we have had more than the usual full months worth of rain in a single day.
So January 3 times the normal rain, hence flooded out , February 1/3 the normal rain , March not a drop of rain , April 13" in 2 days , 8" being the average April rainfall and most of that would normally come towards the end of the month
Last year I grew tomatoes for 8 months, normally they will only crop for 4 months
Usually I would be eating my own tomatoes for christmass lunch, this year they have only just started to ripen now .
Those $ 2 Chinese T-shirts you lot like to print messages on have drained the largest fresh water lake on the planet , The Aral Sea which is now a desert and causing salt pollution in Canada, Alaska and to a lesser extent some US border states . And this is having an effect on US & Canadian freshwater fish species as the run off becomes more & more salty .
Thank you for that Bert! The signs are everywhere . . . But we have to look!