Buying a forever lawnmower. Lawnmower buying advice.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Buying a forever lawnmower. Lawnmower buying advice.
GearHead36 is obviously kidding, but I'll respond for anyone who may be thinking it's correct. Criminals focus on making money. Businesses focus on satisfying their customers and those who don't, can't last long. That applies to restaurants, contractors, retailers, and car companies. The idea that a car company worth $500 billion would intentionally risk it's brand name by selling low quality product is silly.

The time rechargeable batteries last is based on how many times they are recharged not just a time period. EGO batteries typically last 500 charges or around 10 years. The idea EGO batteries last only 3 years is nonsensical. After all, 3 years is only around 75 times assuming a weekly mow,
Businesses have not given a tinkers curse about satisfying customer requirements unless you are talking about the top 5% of the market .
As for the rest it is brand loyalty , BS marketing and price point marketing.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I guess we'll just have to disagree. Obviously businesses have to make money or they'll go bankrupt. But successful businesses focus on other things: customers, employees, suppliers, communities, environment, laws, quality, integrity, and the future. Some people see the battery as half fully charged, others see it as half empty. I'm a half full guy.
TonyPrin-

The next couple of years will tell a lot about how well battery outdoor power equipment will sell and be accepted (battery vehicles also).

There are literally cars and trucks stacked at alternate lots that are battery powered that cannot be sold. My two closest Stihl dealers are selling 90% gas and 10% battery handheld equipment. I am obviously and internal combustion engine guy (Tiger Small Engine), not motor.

By the way, Greenworks is the commercial side of battery equipment, and Ego is residential. Funny how you tout Ego over Greenworks. Are you a homeowner, guy that tinkers, or a small engine shop?

TonyPrin

Threads
Businesses have not given a tinkers curse about satisfying customer requirements unless you are talking about the top 5% of the market .
As for the rest it is brand loyalty , BS marketing and price point marketing.
bertsmobile1, I don't know you. But I believe you're a guy who tries to do your job well. Yet, for some reason you believe others don't want to do their best. You believe businesses find the cheapest shippers regardless of whether they deliver on time. You believe retailers would rather find the low-cost supplier irrespective of whether their product works. You don't understand that most businesses have competitors and that customers have options. Frankly, you don't understand business.

If you had a leaky faucet that leaked the day after the low-cost plumber fixed it, would you use that plumber next time? Apparently, you would. Well, most people wouldn't. They care about quality and satisfaction, not just price. And businesses are aware of that. Darwin could have written a book on business. It's survival of the fittest, not a bunch of uncaring fools who spend their time squeezing money from customers who don't know better.

Last edited:

TonyPrin

Threads
TonyPrin-
By the way, Greenworks is the commercial side of battery equipment, and Ego is residential. Funny how you tout Ego over Greenworks. Are you a homeowner, guy that tinkers, or a small engine shop?
TSE, I'm a retired small business owner and an admitted EGO fan with no association. I started with a 14" chainsaw, then blower, and on and on. I don't dislike gas powered equipment at all, but I believe many who try battery will love it.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
bertsmobile1, I don't know you. But I believe you're a guy who tries to do your job well. Yet, for some reason you believe others don't want to do their best. You believe businesses find the cheapest shippers regardless of whether they deliver on time. You believe retailers would rather find the low-cost supplier irrespective of whether their product works. You don't understand that most businesses have competitors and that customers have options. Frankly, you don't understand business.

If you had a leaky faucet that leaked the day after the low-cost plumber fixed it, would you use that plumber next time? Apparently, you would. Well, most people wouldn't. They care about quality and satisfaction, not just price. And businesses are aware of that. Darwin could have written a book on business. It's survival of the fittest, not a bunch of uncaring fools who spend their time squeezing money from customers who don't know better.
Businesses want to find the cheapest way possible for you to use a product until the warranty or return window is over, then things start breaking and it's just another throwaway product. Don't you think if businesses actually cared about making high quality products there wouldn't be PLASTIC, PLASTIC, PLASTIC on everything? Or mowers wouldn't have stamp decks??

TonyPrin

Threads
Businesses want to find the cheapest way possible for you to use a product until the warranty or return window is over, then things start breaking and it's just another throwaway product. Don't you think if businesses actually cared about making high quality products there wouldn't be PLASTIC, PLASTIC, PLASTIC on everything? Or mowers wouldn't have stamp decks??
CG, businesses position themselves. They determine the market they want to serve and then provide goods or services to meet that market need. For example, there's Walmart and Tiffany's each of which sell jewelry to different customers. We can't blame Walmart for not selling products offered in Tiffany's as each sells jewelry their customers want. The same applies to Hyper Tough and Ferris mowers. Each serves a different need and customer base.

Just as we can find 10 caret and 24 caret rings, we can find products made of plastic or metal. Don't blame that on the manufacturer or retailer. Rather it's the customer who decides what they want and are willing to pay. No one forces us to shop in Walmart rather than Tiffany's.

Last edited:

old yooper

Forum Newbie
Threads
One of the easiest ways (most of the time) to tell if your IC engine powered lawnmower is going last for a very long time is if it has a oil filter. The mowers equipped with oil filters are generally on the commercial side and are priced accordingly. (you do have to change the filter regularly though)

*CPB*

Threads
To the OP, if you're already planning on mulching wet grass that should have been mowed several days earlier, then lawn care sounds like it's going to be a chore for you. Get a Honda. They have composite decks that won't rust from having wet grass packed into them from not being scraped. They're not red, but the engine covers are.

MikeH62

Threads
Hello all! I recently purchased my first home. The house is located on 1/3 acre lot. Im looking to buy a long lasting lawnmower. Here are my requirements, all of them don’t need to be satisfied but preferred.

☐20" cutting width ( yard has allot of landscaping and tight spots, I like smaller cutting path )

☐Powerful and strong torque engine that doesn’t stall in knee high grass on a damp Saturday morning when the wife is yelling at you to cut the dam grass.

☐Bright Red deck color

☐Self propelled optional

☐Larger rear wheel

☐Commonly found parts

☐I’m 6 feet tall so adjustable or higher push bar would be nice

☐Add on bag optional. I plan on using mulching blade 90% of time

I’m OK with buying slightly used from FB marketplace, craigslist etc.

I’m OK with buying online. Here in South Texas we have Home Depot, Lowes etc.

My budget is $750 or less.

Thank you very much, please advise,
For 1/3rd ac. I'd buy a rider or zero turn used of course then a smal 20" push for cleanup work in tight areas. That's just me though. My yard man 22" works great for me.

kinard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like most people like their Toro, I agree. Can't wear them out; they always start and you can find parts if needed.