Briggs 17hp wont start and stay running

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
Thanks guys, I will take a look this after evening. I believe the valves are seating properly, but I will use the check of twisting it when it is closed. I did the grinding thing mentioned and sounds like I did it all on par with your suggestions.

In my new video, which is same quality(beware haha) I Show the valves and how one of them is sticking open for some reason. I am going to try and redo everything this weekend. I will try and get a good setup for the video.

Video of the valves

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
Still getting similar behavior after today.

1. I checked the timing and that is correct, the dots match-up.
2. I checked the valves and they are seated correctly... "I used the try and spin them when they are shut, trick"
3. It feels like it has more compression now, not sure on this though.
4. after it sat for awhile, I pushed it back in the garage and a bunch of gas came leaking out of the muffler?
5. I messed around with the screw for how much "gas is put in the carb" I tightened it all the way and then went counter-clockwise for a turn and a half.

I am about ready to just go buy another one... I have no idea what to do now....

Here is another video. Wont be up for awhile (2/20 - 11:07) give it 30 minutes or so..

Mikel1

Threads
I didn't see it start in the video. So will it start?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Still getting similar behavior after today.

1. I checked the timing and that is correct, the dots match-up.
2. I checked the valves and they are seated correctly... "I used the try and spin them when they are shut, trick"
3. It feels like it has more compression now, not sure on this though.
4. after it sat for awhile, I pushed it back in the garage and a bunch of gas came leaking out of the muffler?
5. I messed around with the screw for how much "gas is put in the carb" I tightened it all the way and then went counter-clockwise for a turn and a half.

I am about ready to just go buy another one... I have no idea what to do now....

For the umpteenth time
WHAT IS THE BLOODY VALVE LASH
It does not matter a tinkers curse how well they seat if they are bloody well still open 50 degrees past where they should have closed
You have to measure the space between the the ned of the valve and the cam follower at its widest gap.
Both valves inlet and exhaust.
IF YOU HAVE RESEATED THE VALVES THEN YOU HAVE CHANGED THE VALVE LASH
Which was most likely what was wrong in the first place but you steadfastly refuse to measure it why ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
For the umpteenth time
WHAT IS THE BLOODY VALVE LASH
It does not matter a tinkers curse how well they seat if they are bloody well still open 50 degrees past where they should have closed
You have to measure the space between the the ned of the valve and the cam follower at its widest gap.
Both valves inlet and exhaust.
IF YOU HAVE RESEATED THE VALVES THEN YOU HAVE CHANGED THE VALVE LASH
Which was most likely what was wrong in the first place but you steadfastly refuse to measure it why ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Maybe because I am not a mechanic and know all of this off the top of my head? Maybe that is why I created an account here to look for help? Maybe I didn't know what a "valve Lash was"?

You need to chill out, I am here for help...... I clearly stated I had no idea of how to do the valve stuff other than"grind them down" .... Looks like that is next on the list.

In the mean time, go for a walk or something geez!

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
I didn't see it start in the video. So will it start?

No, it doesn't start, that is the problem. I just checked the timing yesterday and did "something" to the valves. I thought I knew what it meant but obviously I was wrong...
I am going to figure out what "valve lash" is and see about checking that next.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Valve lash is the space between the top of the valve tappet and the bottom of the valve stem, also referred to as valve clearance. . On your engine it is adjusted by grinding small amount off the bottom of the valve stem until you reach the correct clearance when measured with a feeler gauge.

I am concerned with the gas coming out of the muffler. Makes me think that the needle valve in the carb isn't sealing and it is leaking into the engine. If it is leaking and you crank it with a fuel pump. it will be like tipping the gas can into the carb while you are trying to crank it. So may want to recheck carb, to make sure the needle/float are working properly. Also make sure the float doesn't have gas inside which will cause it so sink and not seal off the gas at the correct amount in the carb.

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
I will check that, the float on the carb should be good. I bought a new one because the old one was doing just that. Thank you for the definition, that is very helpful! I did buy a gauge so now I just need to check that and follow back up with y'all.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Daquiri_briggs, just be patience with us and we will get you straightened out. You have to understand, when people say they are a novice, we assume intermediate novice, not beginner novice. So until we figure out we are dealing with a true novice, and shift into teaching mode, the senior techs will push for something we assume you understand, but will be way over your head.

If we mention something that you don't understand, don't be afraid to speak up, and ask what we are talking about. Because if you don't ask we will assume that you understand. Then will complain when we don't get what we asked for.