Briggs 17hp wont start and stay running

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
Okay, where would I start on that? Is I t a special tool to measure? I don't quite understand your question on the throttle. I will have to take a look in just a little bit.

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
I am going to check the spark plugs and everything tomorrow morning and make sure those are alright and then check the gasket. I will follow up then with my findings.

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
Alright, so this morning I noticed gas leaking from somewhere on the engine. I unplugged the line.

This afternoon, I switched the plugs. The one on the left(looking at front of mower) was the one we were concerned was not firing. The one on the right was the one that was making noises and possibly needed a new gasket.

So....
After changing the plugs. I tried to start the engine. When I turned it over, gas spewed out of the right head, like nobody's business. I'm still in my work clothes so I didn't try this again. I will get the gasket replaced... Which is weird because it's brand new!

Why would the change in spark plugs cause the gas to Coke oht like that? When it didn't before. Maybe the gasket just finally reached the tipping point?

Mikel1

Threads
I can send you a rubber band, paper clip, and a match. One might fix it:wink:

Compressing a cylinder full of gas is difficult to do.

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
I broke a bolt trying tighten the head. I'm going to try and get a different tap to fix the screw that broke off. Idk, I think after this weekend I am going to give up. I don't know what else to do.

I Will buy another spark plug and see if that helps the one side as well.

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
Finally got the gasket ordered in case that is a problem. I also got lucky and was able to remove the old screw, bought a new one.. just waiting on the new gasket to reinstall.

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
Alright, so after a little more help I have got this puppy up and running. I just need to put the deck back on and get to mowin!!!!!

1. Adjusted Governor.
2. Found gas in the oil.
3. Put a fuel shutoff valve on.
4. Replaced Float again.
5. Put more new spark plugs on.

And Wala! Good to go.

Thanks again guys!!!

Mikel1

Threads
Mowing the lawn will be the true test.