Blade Removal Tool

RustyBoy

Threads
Is anyone aware of a blade removal tool/clamp to make changing blades easier? I know that Arnold makes a clamp but that it's for up to 42" decks.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This simple fixture ( assembled with Elmer's ) works on any mower that has blades narrower than the trough area. Works on my old Murray 2 blade, my JD 2 blade and my son in law's JD 3 blade. I suppose it would work on a 5 blade too. It lays on top of the blades ( trough side down ) open end ( no sides ) extended from the blade tip end some. No clamping or fastening necessary. I begin with the right hand blade and work across removing the blades. Re-assemble by reversing the order.

Attachments

• Blade blocker.jpg
    Blade blocker.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 38

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This simple fixture ( assembled with Elmer's ) works on any mower that has blades narrower than the trough area. Works on my old Murray 2 blade, my JD 2 blade and my son in law's JD 3 blade. I suppose it would work on a 5 blade too. It lays on top of the blades ( trough side down ) open end ( no sides ) extended from the blade tip end some. No clamping or fastening necessary. I begin with the right hand blade and work across removing the blades. Re-assemble by reversing the order.

I like this.
How long is it?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is anyone aware of a blade removal tool/clamp to make changing blades easier? I know that Arnold makes a clamp but that it's for up to 42" decks.

It will work on a 48 and a 60

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads

About 10 " long overall with sides about 5" long x 2" deep. Nothing very critical. I modified it once and it seems as if I shortened the sides to the present 5" length. Your mileage may vary of course.

As you can see it's from scrap pine and fir, probably the worst wood for that project but it seems to work. If it ever breaks I'll make a purdy one of Oak or something.

Pumper54

Threads
Very nice jig there. May knock something like it together from some 3/4 inch plywood scrapes I have. I generally use a 2X4 about 6-8 inches long with a 6 inch C-Clamp
Tom

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Search this forum for diy wrench adapter.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a 1/2 in. Air Impact Wrench / Gun. Never have a problem removing a blade bolt or nut.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow all these fancy tools and I just use a 2x4 wedged between the blade and deck. It has never not worked on any mower with a blade.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a 2x4
Use two wrenches on my snapper. Shaft comes out the bottom