Blade-balance oddity

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just to show how sensitive these ball bearing type balancers are.

Before
1710169309397.png
After a small paper clip added to light end.
1710169415842.png
My gram scale won't even register its weight so the clip is well under a gram. And that is probably just a variance in the paint thickness.
So yes it very sensitive and actually over sensitive for mower blades.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Star, what is the part number for those bottles sitting on your spare parts shelf?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Star, what is the part number for those bottles sitting on your spare parts shelf?
Stop licking your lips Rivets, they are not available as they contain home made 20 proof Muscadine, 20 proof red plum, and 20 proof wild native plum wines in two liter bottles. Since I don't drink I use them for cooking only. They make some really good tasting boneless pork chops and pepper stir fly steak.
I use a stepped cone-style balancer.

Hey, have any of you noticed that NONE of the alignment steps in those balancers correspond with ANY hole in any blade?
Yes that is why I got away those type balancers.

*CPB*

Threads
My gram scale won't even register its weight so the clip is well under a gram. And that is probably just a variance in the paint thickness.
So yes it very sensitive and actually over sensitive for mower blades.
I tell people who watch me balance their blades that goal isn't to have the blade be 100% motionless when it's on the balancer, just to move very slowly.

davis2

Threads
No I don't expect prefect balance but it is a lot closer so less wear on bearings and less noticeable deck vibration.

And with the balancer I now use it is a lot closer as it is a lot more sensitive than the old cone balancer and way more accurate than try to use a nail which is usually off center.
I have the old cone. I try to get it as close as I can, but some seem to want perfection. I've done well, but am far from perfect. But I get a nice mow, and haven't ruined anything yet...

ss63

Threads
I bought a used Toro 21" self-propelled for my daughter. Among other things, I pulled the blade, sharpened it but when I went to balance it using my https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/...8vIgSSCKYG-FFbB7tjnKVGrVH0G7DFqxoC47kQAvD_BwE
When the blade was completely horizontal, it showed a perfect balance. But when I moved the blade to almost vertical, it immediately went back to horizontal. Does this make any sense?
Hello been working on mowers / engines since I was 7 now 70 and worked in a mower shop from age 13-21 ok been balancing blades on a nail on a shelf you just do horizontally left the right invert then left & right on this side Then flip & do the same The blade needs to be level strate across 9-3 o'clock position Then grind the heaver side till level flip to see the same level Been doing this for years ! hope this helps