Blade-balance oddity

*CPB*

Threads
That's true, but very rarely on my own lawn. There aren't any stones in the yard, and if I hit a stick it's almost always smaller than the diameter of a pencil so it just gets obliterated (it's also dry and dead, from the tree that's slowly dying. I pick up a few larger sticks once a week). When I pull my blades there are usually some tiny nicks, but nothing that would make them out of balance. I've been sharpening and balancing blades long enough to have come to the conclusion that there's a window of what I consider balanced vs. needing to be balanced. 100% perfect isn't any better than virtually perfect.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Magna Matic and it balances horizontal and turn it vertical it will go back to horizontal. Never really though about it but tried it when this post came up. Seems funny but that is the way it works.

Gord Baker

Threads
The blade spins at high RPM. About 3,000. A slight out of balance is irrelevant.

Last edited:

davis2

Threads
What I was thinking. As long as there is no vibration, should be ok... I think some of the posters expect balance weights down to the gram!!!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What I was thinking. As long as there is no vibration, should be ok... I think some of the posters expect balance weights down to the gram!!!
I don’t get super picky. Mower blades aren’t precision instruments.

*CPB*

Threads
It's not about the blade, it's about the spindle it's attached to.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No I don't expect prefect balance but it is a lot closer so less wear on bearings and less noticeable deck vibration.

And with the balancer I now use it is a lot closer as it is a lot more sensitive than the old cone balancer and way more accurate than try to use a nail which is usually off center.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you'll buy me a plane ticket i'll take that blade to Denver and get it balanced . If they can't do it Paris i believe is the next step up . :ROFLMAO: