Best Bang for the Buck Riding Mower for 1.4 acres?

itguy08

Threads
I've got the Airens you listed in #1 - it's got the CVT (General Trans Element 5) and I think it's a good machine. Has plenty of power, cuts well, and pulls well on our hilly front yard. 2 year warranty (no hours as it has no hour meter) and basically a Husqvarna (they build them for Ariens).

I like the CVT as one of the complaints on the low end hydro units is they are not serviceable and fail early. With the CVT I shouldn't have to worry about it much. I know you can change the oil in the hydros but it's not supported by the manufacturers of either the hydro or the mower, so you're on your own.

Now I've only had it since the end of Sept and I've put about 10 hours on it so far and it seems good. Perfect? Nope but for the job it's above average. Definitely recommended from me.

wmblalock

Threads
I've got the Airens you listed in #1 - it's got the CVT (General Trans Element 5) and I think it's a good machine. Has plenty of power, cuts well, and pulls well on our hilly front yard. 2 year warranty (no hours as it has no hour meter) and basically a Husqvarna (they build them for Ariens).

I like the CVT as one of the complaints on the low end hydro units is they are not serviceable and fail early. With the CVT I shouldn't have to worry about it much. I know you can change the oil in the hydros but it's not supported by the manufacturers of either the hydro or the mower, so you're on your own.

Now I've only had it since the end of Sept and I've put about 10 hours on it so far and it seems good. Perfect? Nope but for the job it's above average. Definitely recommended from me.

How do you feel about the foot control? I assume it's like a car where you have to hold it the entire time you mow? Is the gas pedal hard to press? I ask because the gas pedal on the one I sat on at Home Depot seemed nearly as hard to press as the clutch. That's my only issue with this Ariens at this point, I don't want to wear out my leg holding a firm pedal for hours while mowing. I wish it had fender controls.

I've actually been considering some cheaper manual transmission models because I don't have to hold a pedal and it seems like less to break than the automatics. There is a 42" 17.5hp Ariens with manual tranny for about $1000 that has 650+ Mostly great reviews.
Ariens 42 in 17.5 HP 6-speed Riding Lawn Mower-960160027 at The Home Depot
It seems simple might = longer lasting. Only thing I don't like about the cheaper simple one is that it's not a pressurized oil system and has no filter. Though I must say there really isn't any complaints about the motor, so I guess it works fine that way. What do you guys think? I also wish it was 46"

Sears has the 46" hydro Craftsman LT2500 on sale for $1299
Reviews - 22HP Kohler 46” Fender Hydro LT2500 Non CA - Sears
It seems to be built by MTD, not my first choice, but from what I gather, the exact model is more important than the manufacturer because they all have good and bad models.
Re-read all 36 reviews and it actually seems pretty good. Any negative ones seemed mostly about stupid things or user ignorance, but no real reliability concerns.
My only issue is the hydro tranny, I wish it were manual for reliability sake?
Anyone know the estimated or average lifespan of these inexpensive hydro trannys?
I just fear I'll take such great care of this thing to make it last 10+ years just to have the expensive tranny fail and make it too pricey to fix.
Can I expect 10 years out of an inexpensive hydro tranny mowing 1.4 acres every other week in the fl summer?

Craftsman also has the upgraded Tight Turn 46" mower on sale for the same price. It's made by Husqvarna, but despite the builder and higher price, 1/3 of the reviews are negative , and negative in important ways such as build quality, deck flaws, and engine issues.

Last edited:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When it comes to reviews you need to take them with a grain of salt.

There is always a guy that does not like the engine because it only lasted a year. What he does not say is he never checked the oil or air filter.

Or the steering is messed up and junk. But he hit a tree or a hole while turning.

A review only has any merit if more than one person has the same problem with it.

Anyways don't just read the first 5

wmblalock

Threads
When it comes to reviews you need to take them with a grain of salt.

There is always a guy that does not like the engine because it only lasted a year. What he does not say is he never checked the oil or air filter.

Or the steering is messed up and junk. But he hit a tree or a hole while turning.

A review only has any merit if more than one person has the same problem with it.

Anyways don't just read the first 5

Yeah, I always read all reviews and logically. I ignore negative reviews stemming from user ignorance, ones about topics that I don't care about, and the lemon here and there. I try to focus on legitimate reliability issues such as cracked welds, maintained motors that blow, lack of power to cut in tough situations, bad transmissions, common vibration complaints (like the tight turn 46 craftsman gets, repeatedly reported as a design flaw), etc.

briggs

Threads
Around here in my area the warranty work is done when the shop has time regardless if it was dealer or store bought mower. They tell customers to give them a week or two to work it in.

Lucky..... Here they wait longer or get pi**ed off and take it someone else ....

briggs

Threads
I would go with Ariens they work great I bought a zero turn no complaints I used it 3 times then sold it to a client he loves it ......They make good EQ/Gravely same thing:thumbsup:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just read the reviews on the craftsman. To many with the welds on the deck.

Have you thought about buying a used mower. Most times you can get more mower for your money.
If you like I can give a list of things to look at on used mowers and I am sure others can add to it.

wmblalock

Threads
I just read the reviews on the craftsman. To many with the welds on the deck.

Have you thought about buying a used mower. Most times you can get more mower for your money.
If you like I can give a list of things to look at on used mowers and I am sure others can add to it.

I have thought about a used mower, but haven't been able to find anything close to promising and would rather not acquire someone else's headaches.
Sure, If I found a known reliable workhorse in great shape, for the right price, I would take a look though.

Yes, the 46" Craftsman Tight Turn mower they have on sale right now is out of the question at this point as it has 1/3 negative reviews about build quality, common complaints being those broken deck welds and major deck vibration due to a design flaw.
Weird though, being that this mower is supposed to be an upgrade from the ones below, yet it seems to be built like junk... even more weird considering it's built by Husqvarna.
( http://www.sears.com/craftsman-46-i...p-07128852000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2 )

I have (for the night anyway) narrowed my search down to these two models:

1. Craftsman LT2500 - 46", Hydrostatic, Kohler Courage 22HP ($1299)
Biggest Concern: Hydrostatic tranny. Will a regular hydostatic tranny last 10 years mowing 1.4 acres in FL every other week during the summer? Based on the good reviews and lack of build quality complains, I feel I could take care of the rest of the tractor enough to make it last for a long time to come. I would just hate to have to trash the mower early because an expensive Hydro tranny fails and it costs more than it's worth to replace it. Also this mower is built my MTD.
Advantages: $150 cheaper, Comfortable fender throttle control

2. Ariens A22A46 - 46", CVT Auto, 22HP V-Twin Dual Cylinder B&S ($1449)
Biggest Concern: Foot throttle controls. I have not driven either of these mowers, but I feel in my large, flat yard that having to hold the gas pedal down for hours would make the leg sore. Sure, there is a cruise control feature, but I read that it's hard to engage and use. I sat on this model at the store and the throttle pedal seemed very hard to push like the clutch. Is that right, or was that one messed up? I feel just being able to reach over with a fender control would be much easier and less fatiguing. What do you guys prefer or think about foot controls vs fender controls?
Advantages: Smoother and more powerful V-Twin B&S motor, Quality built Husqvarna mower, CVT Transmission which should in theory be more reliable than hydrostatic right?

The main thing I am interested in is reliability. I don't want to waste $1500 on a mower that I have to trash in a few years.

Do you guys think CVT has more longevity than Hydrostatic? I read the hydrostatic transmissions are not serviceable, and thus they tend to prematurely wear out. I gather the CVT transmissions don't have anything that needs to be serviced except a new belt from time to time, thus making it probable that it would last longer. What do you guys think about this idea? Am I correct? Wrong?

Or should I seek a more inexpensive base model mower that has a manual transmission and good build quality reviews if I am looking for longevity?
My father and uncle both have manual transmissions and no issues for nearly 10 years each so far. My uncle who repairs small engines didn't seem to think the automatic trannys were as reliable as the manual ones.
There is this Ariens 42" 17.5HP 6-Speed Manual that is well built by Husqvarna for $1049, but it doesn't use an oil filter or full pressure oil system like the others, has a smaller deck and less power.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-4...g-Lawn-Mower-960160027/203013179#.Upgn-cTFXXA

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
No matter what you buy your gonna have to put money into it regardless if its new or used to keep it running good. Changing oil/oil filter 1-2 times a year, spark plugs once a year, air filter, belts, etc.

wmblalock

Threads
No matter what you buy your gonna have to put money into it regardless if its new or used to keep it running good. Changing oil/oil filter 1-2 times a year, spark plugs once a year, air filter, belts, etc.

Of coarse. I am a maintenance freak, I take care of things extremely well. I don't have a problem putting money into regular maintenance. I just don't want to have to buy a transmission that costs as much as the tractor is worth in 2-5 years, especially since I take care of these things so well that the rest should last for a very long time.