Best Bang for the Buck Riding Mower for 1.4 acres?

wmblalock

Threads
I am buying a new house that sits on a 1.4 acre lot, and need a riding mower.
The lot is overgrown right now, but flat for the most part, except for a raised septic drain field which could take some power to climb.
I do not intend to use this mower for any activities other than cutting grass and am very good with maintenance.

I am looking to spend between $1,000-$1,500 on a new mower, the less the better.
At the same time, I want the best bang for the buck in regards to longevity and usability.
I was looking at the basic $1,000 Craftsman models and other bottom of the line box store models, but they get horrible reviews and seem to be complete garbage, not what I want!

What do you guys think about Hydostatic vs CVT transmissions, is one really better than the other in performance or longevity?

Here are 4 options I found through my research.
I am really stuck between the first two, the Ariens and the Craftsman.
All of these models have full pressure oil systems, deck wheels, and automatic transmissions.
Let me know what you guys think would be the best option!

1. ($1,449) Ariens A22A46 46" 22HP V-Twin Dual Cylinder Briggs & Stratton Automatic Riding Mower #960460056
- I really like the idea of a V-Twin dual cylinder B&S. I tend to delay between mows, so more power is welcome to tame the overgrowth. Is it better than a Kohler Single Cylinder 22HP on the Craftsman below?
- This one has the most reviews at 225 scoring a 4.4 / 5.0. Almost everyone loves it, says it's built great, and has tons of power. I figure this power will be needed in my overgrown property.
- I am not sure if it has a CVT or Hydrostatic tranny as some people have reported the earlier ones were hydrostatic and the newer ones have a CVT. Does it matter? Is one much better than the other?
- I like the wide 46" deck, cruise control, all metal construction, large gas tank, etc.
- I like the hose hookup to flush the deck.
- From what I gather, this mower is made by Husqvarna.

2. ($1,299) Craftsman LT2500 46" 22HP Kohler Single Cylinder Hydro Riding Mower
- I am mostly stuck between this and the Ariens. This is $150 cheaper, has the Craftsman name / support, and seems to have the same features but different engine.
- Is the V-Twin B&S in the Ariens better than the single cylinder Kohler? Is one more reliable than the other? At 22HP, they should both have the same power right?
- This definitely has a hydostatic transmission per the specs.
- Only has 36 reviews scoring a 4.0/5.0. Some great reviews, some bad reviews about engine failure and a finicky hydostatic tranny.
- I am pretty sure this mower is made by Husqvarna as well.

3. ($1,399) Cub Cadet LTX10410 42" 19HP Kohler Single Cylinder Courage Automatic Riding Mower
- CVT Transmission
- 3 year warranty, the others have 2 years.
- Cub Cadet is made by MTC. MTD makes mostly junk from what I gather, but their Cub Cadets are actually pretty good quality?
- Is the quality going to be much better than the Ariens or Craftsman made by Husqvarna?
- Has a smaller 19HP Kohler motor, smaller 42" Deck, and higher price than Craftsman? Is the quality offset worth these downgrades?

4. ($1,499) John Deere D105 42" 17.5HP Automatic Riding Mower
- This is the most expensive, and has the smallest engine at 17.5HP.
- Is the quality of the Deere that much higher than the others that it warrants the highest price tag even though it has the weakest motor and smallest deck?
- It has 65 reviews that score it 4.2/5.0. A few complain about the lack of power, which I don't like.
- There are also several complaints about quality and malfunctions. Doesn't seem to me that the quality is any better than the others, what do you guys think?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Personally out of the four you have listed IMO the Cub Cadet LTX is the best mower. It has a 3-year/120-hr and 5-year/500-hr limited warranty which ever comes first. I ran the LT 1045 for 2 years had like 400 hours on it and never had any problems, it was a great mower. Carscw I believe is running the LTX 1040 if you want info on it he would be the one to ask. Personally if I had a 1.4 acre lot I'd spend a little more money and buy a ZTR and cut my mowing time down but that's just me.

Threads
Craftsman hands down.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can afford it then I recommend buying a Craftsman GT3000 mower.

wmblalock

Threads
I can't seem to find a GT3000 for sale. Any other suggestions for $1500 or less , readily available mowers? I've read so many reviews my eyes are blurry.

I was looking at Sears.com
It's the turn tight hydro from craftsman made by hop and it's on sale for Black Friday at $1299.
It seems like the best bang for the buck features wise but it has a ton of horrible reviews regarding reliability that have made me run. A pageantry it rattles like crazy, is a bit underpowered, breaks welds often and the motor doesn't hold up all that we'll. The Ariens doesn't seem to have any bad reviews like that.

Quick question, the only reason I am shying away from the awesomely reviewed Arien made by hop is because they switched it to CVT instead of Hydro tranny. Does it really matter? Is CVT still good? With hydro tractors easily available for the same price , I feel I'm overpaying for one that isn't Hydro. But with almost all great reviews about quality , power, etc, maybe CVT is just as good?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can't seem to find a GT3000 for sale. Any other suggestions for $1500 or less , readily available mowers? I've read so many reviews my eyes are blurry.

I was looking at Sears.com
It's the turn tight hydro from craftsman made by hop and it's on sale for Black Friday at $1299.
It seems like the best bang for the buck features wise but it has a ton of horrible reviews regarding reliability that have made me run. A pageantry it rattles like crazy, is a bit underpowered, breaks welds often and the motor doesn't hold up all that we'll. The Ariens doesn't seem to have any bad reviews like that.

Quick question, the only reason I am shying away from the awesomely reviewed Arien made by hop is because they switched it to CVT instead of Hydro tranny. Does it really matter? Is CVT still good? With hydro tractors easily available for the same price , I feel I'm overpaying for one that isn't Hydro. But with almost all great reviews about quality , power, etc, maybe CVT is just as good?

If I were you and you're going to buy a mower like one of the above mowers I would seriously consider buying from your nearest dealer and I'd stay away from the big box stores entirely. A dealer is going to service what he sells first, Big Box store stuff will get pushed to the lot and done last.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a LTX 1040 It is a tough mower gives a very good cut and has plenty of power does real good on hills.

In my opinion it is the best mower in its price range.

I buy a new riding mower every year usually a craftsman went with the cub this year because I got a very good deal.

I bought it this past April and have over 900 very hard hours on it. Still have factory drive belts on it and still pulls like new.

Had to replace deck bearings and deck belt.

Very user friendly nice comfortable seat set at the right height.

I will keep this mower and run it this coming year.

I have more than 20 running mowers and the cub is still my choice.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Buy from a dealer and have them match the box store price.

briggs

Threads
NO box store stuff u wont get good service ..If any at all ....As the others said buy from a dealer ....Ariens has a good Selection also