Best Bang for the Buck Riding Mower for 1.4 acres?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cub cadet over 40 years old. And still one of the best riding mowers made today.

I will agree that junk Deere did make some very good riding mowers back 20 years ago. Heck even 10 years ago.

image-3575229746.jpg

Hammerdown

Threads
Cub cadet over 40 years old. And still one of the best riding mowers made today.

I will agree that junk Deere did make some very good riding mowers back 20 years ago. Heck even 10 years ago.

View attachment 21011

Hello
Both John Deere and Cub Cadet sold their soles to the Devil when they started making the Cheap tin riding mower's that are sold at Home Depot or Lowes. The Old saying you get what you pay for is soon relaized by those that Bought those Glorified MTD's. My son in law had a 1991 Cub Cadet that was a Model 1541. It was a Good solid machine with it's Kohler twin cylinder 18 Horsepower engine, but the cyclops Cheaply made Plastic body panels were Pure Junk they all cracked and fell apart on his machine. I recently Built him a 1991 John deere 316 that has metal engine Panel's on it and the Onan P-218 engine in it that he Likes much more than he did his Cub. The problem I had with Cub cadet's is that they do not have models very long as his was only offered for two year's so part's were a P.I.T. A. to get or locate for it. John Deere stick's with their Models longer and Part's are never an issue they stock them for Tractor's made back in the Mid 1960's. They made the 316 and the 318 Tractor's for almost Eleven year's so there are plenty of them out there and all of the Part's are still available Unlike that Cub Cadet Model 1541 of his that we were glad that we sold after Building his John Deere 316 he couldn't be happier now. Regards, Hammerdown

toolfool

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd have to go with #1 because Kohler engines has left a bad impression on me. After 3 years the engine some how managed to bend one of the pushrods causing it to run on only one cylinder. It ran like garbage even after repair. the power was back, but it just sounded crappy.

Kohler is at the very bottom. I think they should stick to making toilets and faucets.

toolfool

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello
Both John Deere and Cub Cadet sold their soles to the Devil when they started making the Cheap tin riding mower's that are sold at Home Depot or Lowes. The Old saying you get what you pay for is soon relaized by those that Bought those Glorified MTD's. My son in law had a 1991 Cub Cadet that was a Model 1541. It was a Good solid machine with it's Kohler twin cylinder 18 Horsepower engine, but the cyclops Cheaply made Plastic body panels were Pure Junk they all cracked and fell apart on his machine. I recently Built him a 1991 John deere 316 that has metal engine Panel's on it and the Onan P-218 engine in it that he Likes much more than he did his Cub. The problem I had with Cub cadet's is that they do not have models very long as his was only offered for two year's so part's were a P.I.T. A. to get or locate for it. John Deere stick's with their Models longer and Part's are never an issue they stock them for Tractor's made back in the Mid 1960's. They made the 316 and the 318 Tractor's for almost Eleven year's so there are plenty of them out there and all of the Part's are still available Unlike that Cub Cadet Model 1541 of his that we were glad that we sold after Building his John Deere 316 he couldn't be happier now. Regards, Hammerdown

I don't have a problem with plastic components as long as it is a quality polymer. Good quality plastic that acts like a hard rubber will take insane abuse and hold its shape. Metal on the other hand is heavy, bends, and rusts. Fenders are one good example that can make use of quality plastics. Mower decks on the other hand wound never work with such materials, because you need a ridged design that resist flex. The right material for the right application.

Have_Blue

Threads
If you haven't already bought a mower, maybe go to the oldest, most respected mower/ small engine repair shop in town, bring a sack of donuts, and ask the mechanics. They will tell you the ones that are the easiest and cheapest to repar. If they also sell a certain brand, all bets are off.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I probably should not jinx my Craftsman dyt 4000 trans by saying that it has been trouble free for 10 years mowing 1.5 acres , including heavy weeds. This is unlike the Intek engine which was a problem. I do not abuse the shifting fwd/reverse and wait for motion to stop before changing etc. Also use a rake and star tooth fertilizer which is a significant load. The baggers (3) put another 120 lbs on the unit. fyi

RobertNiderost

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Best Bang for the Buck Riding Mower for 1.4 acres?
I have 2.5 acres and was "left" a ten year old Craftsman that is STILL a work horse. The best part is that Sears now ONLY comes to your house/ranch for repairs. Gone are the days of having to trailer it in. Tires, transmission, new blades, they've got it all and are in and out of your place super fast. Bottom line, if you're going to spend that kind of money, get something that either you can work on or a device that others will come to your house and fix. :smile: