2 Older Toro mowers with totally different spark plugs????

TobyU

Threads
  • / 2 Older Toro mowers with totally different spark plugs????
Thanks Toby will give it a spray to help get it started.I was thinking starter fluid spray though? I changed oil in the spring but it got dirty before the end of the season.seemed like it was running hot but im no expert.I have had the mower for a year and dont know the previous history so gotta guess it was not cared for properly.Carb bowl was very clean when I checked and I ran Sea Foam thru the fuel system .Thanks guys !!! Charlie.
Starting fluid will work but it's really hard on the engines and you can hear them knock often violently even 5 they fire up on it.
Spray carb cleaner is cheaper (Walmart brand) and gives you 2 for 1 purpose. It is not hard on engines at all and you could sit there and run one all day if you wanted to tap the spray nozzle all day long without any harm to engine.

crazy charlie

Threads
Here is tag for the recycler

Attachments

• Recycler mower tag.jpg
    Recycler mower tag.jpg
    686.1 KB · Views: 5

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
that model and serial number is calling for a RJ19LM according to the owners manual

crazy charlie

Threads
that model and serial number is calling for a RJ19LM according to the owners manual
Thats what was in it so correct plug but a little old looking.Doubt the plug is my issue but I will clean it up and see.
whats the gap? 30?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thats what was in it so correct plug but a little old looking.Doubt the plug is my issue but I will clean it up and see.
whats the gap? 30?
.030 is correct gap and just replace the plug. I have a motto of never trust a spark plug. Have seen way too many that are faulty or have intermittent faults.

TobyU

Threads
.030 is correct gap and just replace the plug. I have a motto of never trust a spark plug. Have seen way too many that are faulty or have intermittent faults.
It is true that one can decide to go out whenever it wants to but if you want to be the most efficient in your troubleshooting procedure it is best to always start with never trust the engine is getting fuel.
So start off by giving it a shot of carb cleaner in the intake to see if it will run for a couple of seconds because probably 90% of the time or more they will and this let you know it's not a spark plug at least not at this moment.
Far too many people, in fact most of them jump towards the spark plug being the problem from the beginning and they just waste the time and money of replacing a plug and many of them damage the threads and sometimes destroy an entire head because of this when the plug wasn't the problem at all.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
With experience comes wisdom. Yes there a set procedure when you first start checking out a mower. Plus doesn't hurt to have right test equipment including working organic diagnostic computer.

The new guy at Lowes is still looking for that adjustable metric wrench.

With the model numbers posted one uses a NGK-4006 and the other uses a Champion RJ19LM.

crazy charlie

Threads
Cleaned up the champ on the recycler(also ordered a new one) and found the gap to be way too small.The plug was the correct size so maybe the gap was part of the issue.Still have to ck that its getting fuel when I start it in choke.Charlie