2 Older Toro mowers with totally different spark plugs????

MowerNick

Threads
  • / 2 Older Toro mowers with totally different spark plugs????
The second one with the briggs engine may not be priming right. Remove the air filter and look in the throat with a flashlight. When you prime it you should get a stream of fuel coming up the tube. If you dont have one you can try removing the filter box and doubling up on the gasket. Sometimes its enough to correct it.

crazy charlie

Threads
The second one with the briggs engine may not be priming right. Remove the air filter and look in the throat with a flashlight. When you prime it you should get a stream of fuel coming up the tube. If you dont have one you can try removing the filter box and doubling up on the gasket. Sometimes its enough to correct it.
Thanks Nick,I dont have a primer on either mower.I usually put it in full choke and slowly pull the cord a few times.

MowerNick

Threads
Ok so you could look too see if the choke is closing completely too.

crazy charlie

Threads
Will taks a look, thanks!!

Freddie21

Threads
Could you not swap plugs between the two? I would turn the engine, with the long plug, over by hand the first time to make sure the piston does not hit the plug. Or, you could measure the distance from the top of the piston to the top of the spark plug hole to see if there's a difference. If the hard-to-start engine runs better, run the same plug in both.

homer888

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a 25 year old Toro with Briggs.Tried the E3 plug and no go.I use J19lm.

TobyU

Threads
ok got some pics of both except the recycler tag.The pic came out bad and was under the control cover.These pics are
the one with the long reach dual head plug
Neither one of the original plugs but rather that stupid E3 stuff that people get conned into buying thinking it's going to be better and just wasting a few more dollars on them.
None of these lawn mowers ever came with a split or a dual electrode spark plug as it's unnecessary.
The mower pictured in above is a Suzuki built 4 cycle GTS engine.
I'm guessing it came with an NGK plug but heck it could have been a champion originally and I probably have a couple of them in my storage with the original plugs in them because I collect these but I can't get to them right now! Lol
You can go by the model number of the mower and look up spark plug and more than likely even find it on the Toro website which has a very good lookup my model number and serial number but basically any of those older gts's use the same plug.
There should be some numbers on the side of the engine though as I've seen some very old ones that were still quite visible.

TobyU

Threads
Have a 25 year old Toro with Briggs.Tried the E3 plug and no go.I use J19lm.
Yours probably has a Briggs & Stratton engine which does typically did have a jade.tln or an rj19lm and that same plug will also fit the Tecumseh engines quite nicely but at 25 years old it's not quite old enough to have the engines he has.
He has the aluminum deck only model rear bagger with the rectangular shoot on the right hand side with the Suzuki GTS 4 cycle engine which pretty much disappeared by the very early 90s. I'd have to do some research to tell you the exact dates but they got pretty scarce somewhere in the early to mid-90s.
These had the blade brake clutch override system on most of the models and the three speed lever selected transmission speed.

TobyU

Threads
This is the recycler with what looks to be a common plug ,this mower is not easy to start, not easy to pull and Im not a skinny whip..lol
This mower, the second one you pictured has the Briggs & Stratton and should be a j19lm or rj19lm. Either one will work just fine. There is also an RJ 19LMC which just stands for copper which is fine too.
The first one you pictured is the Suzuki and it will have possibly even a finer thread but it will be a longer reach plug.
Regardless, you can test for spark and set the gap and it's highly unlikely to be a plug anyways. It's pretty much never a plug on an engine won't start or run.
It does happen but in my experience of thousands of mowers, it's about 1 and every 450 at best so you can always assume that it's not the plug and going to the plug first thing or pulling out or even checking it is almost always a waste of time.
It's almost always fuel so the first thing you should do to troubleshoot is to pop the air filter out and give it a squirt of spray carb cleaner in the hole for an external fuel source and then pull it a few times.
Technically, you should check the oil and make sure it has something that looks like oil in it and it's in the safe area on the stick before you do this. Lol

crazy charlie

Threads
This mower, the second one you pictured has the Briggs & Stratton and should be a j19lm or rj19lm. Either one will work just fine. There is also an RJ 19LMC which just stands for copper which is fine too.
The first one you pictured is the Suzuki and it will have possibly even a finer thread but it will be a longer reach plug.
Regardless, you can test for spark and set the gap and it's highly unlikely to be a plug anyways. It's pretty much never a plug on an engine won't start or run.
It does happen but in my experience of thousands of mowers, it's about 1 and every 450 at best so you can always assume that it's not the plug and going to the plug first thing or pulling out or even checking it is almost always a waste of time.
It's almost always fuel so the first thing you should do to troubleshoot is to pop the air filter out and give it a squirt of spray carb cleaner in the hole for an external fuel source and then pull it a few times.
Technically, you should check the oil and make sure it has something that looks like oil in it and it's in the safe area on the stick before you do this. Lol
Thanks Toby will give it a spray to help get it started.I was thinking starter fluid spray though? I changed oil in the spring but it got dirty before the end of the season.seemed like it was running hot but im no expert.I have had the mower for a year and dont know the previous history so gotta guess it was not cared for properly.Carb bowl was very clean when I checked and I ran Sea Foam thru the fuel system .Thanks guys !!! Charlie.