ZTRs on hills

buster57

Threads
I have finally purchased a ZTR mower. It is a John Deere XR95 from 1990.

Question to the people: How bad are ZTRs on hilly terrain? I once tried to buy a JD 717A but my back yard was so steep the Deere saleasman said 'no way'...

Thank you!

Gareth

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there.

In the uk, ZTRs are used by the local government to cut all bank areas - both ride on and walk behind, especially the Ferris Hydrowalk as you can infinitely adjust the power to each wheel, giving you excellent control.
If you can operate a mini tracked excavator you should have no problems on this!

cwmdc

Forum Newbie
Threads
We just purchased an Cub Cadet I 1050, a zero turn tractor still mower , that works real good on the side hills, we had an older Dixon it did not do the best on side hills

Last edited:

ccj1

Forum Newbie
Threads
They say not to use them on more than a 15 degree slope. I'm not sure how steep my trouble spot is, but I have noticed I lose traction, and slide at the bottom of the steepest part. Now I need to reseed it!

jmessing

Threads
My Toro does well on hills if you attack them straight on. If you are cutting across, the weight of the front of the mower pulls you down the hill. Trying to make a straight run will cause you to dig up the hill with the downhill drive wheel. My other approach is to take the hill in a loop. Start straight up and loop down the hill in an arch.
- Joe