Ztrak 520a with hour meter issue.

tjklunder

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2008 John Deere ztrak 520a. I recently purchased this unit from a friend who rarely used it because he had so many trees with exposed roots that it beat him to a pulp. The hour meter read 290.6 when I bought it. However after using the unit to mow I discovered that the hour meter was not counting, I called my friend and he told me that he had the “computer” replaced in May of 2021. He said he probably hadn’t put 10 hrs. on it since then.
I believe him and the unit is in excellent condition. My question is does the Hour meter stop working after the electronic control module is replaced or do I need a reset ,if there is such a thing, or do need a new meter ? Today I was doing some maintenance on the unit and noticed that there two white wires coming off the harness near the starter and solenoid that are not connected to anything. They are stripped on the end as if they were connected to something at one time. Could this possibly be why my hour meter reads 290.6 but doesn’t count ? Everything else works perfectly including all the safety switches.
Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most hour meters die eventually
None are resettable AFAIK
I always advise people to do maintenance by the calendar not the hour meter
SO fresh oil immediately following the final mow of the season.
New oil & fuel filters every even number year ( or on 5th & 10 years )
Air filters can probably done at the same time depending upon how grubby yours gets
Blower housing comes off at the end of every season so you can clean the fins and stays off over winter to discourage rats & mice moving in