Buying Advice ZTR

PATNAVARRE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking to buy a ZTR mower.I have 5 acres of grass(half St AUG. half field grass) . Need help,

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
5 acres is a lot of grass for a lawn mower to handle every wk... so you should be looking at the best grade mowers... Not necessarily an industrial grade... but you will need the better residential/commercial ...
With a good ZTR you will get a great cut & the fastest coverage... there are several threads on the various mid grade ZTR's and their ride quality... some are spectacular... I am a Hustler mower fan, .: Hustler Turf - Zero Turn Mower, Lawn Tractor, Riding Mower
There are several very good makes & models, If you get the chance to actually try them out you will find some big differences between makes ... a lot of them are just going to be personal preference but some differences will be enough to make mowing either work OR pleasure... :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
Looking to buy a ZTR mower.I have 5 acres of grass(half St AUG. half field grass) . Need help,

You don't say what you are willing to spend but if I was looking for something to mow that much it would be a large commercial diesel powered mower but it will be a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The 700 series Grasshoppers are great check out the big Hustler and john Deere also X Mark

Hidalgo

Threads
Just my opinion.......but why are you looking for a ZTR to mow that much acreage? A lawn (garden) tractor would provide a much better ride, cost less, and do a very respectable job. :thumbsup:

I once owned a home with a 6-acre front yard that I mowed weekly with a 48" cut tractor. Yes, it took half the day to mow, but it sure looked good after it was mowed and striped up properly.

Black Bart

Threads
Just my opinion.......but why are you looking for a ZTR to mow that much acreage? A lawn (garden) tractor would provide a much better ride, cost less, and do a very respectable job. :thumbsup:

I once owned a home with a 6-acre front yard that I mowed weekly with a 48" cut tractor. Yes, it took half the day to mow, but it sure looked good after it was mowed and striped up properly.
Never mowed with a new ZTR have you. :laughing:

Hidalgo

Threads
Never mowed with a new ZTR have you. :laughing:

YES. I currently OWN one. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, a ZTR is a wonderful tool where it is needed. A tractor is much more comfortable when the task takes several hours and the job doesn't require a lot of maneuvering.

And for the prices he was quoting ...... a tractor might be a better choice.

Black Bart

Threads
YES. I currently OWN one. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, a ZTR is a wonderful tool where it is needed. A tractor is much more comfortable when the task takes several hours and the job doesn't require a lot of maneuvering.

And for the prices he was quoting ...... a tractor might be a better choice.
I didn't see him quote a price he just left that open for whatever $$$$$$$$.

If I was going to mow that much with a tractor I would get a 66 inch swisher pull behind but I never did like making a career out of mowing the lawn.

Before I built the home I'm in now I had a big lawn in the country and I had 2 pull behind finishing mowers that I pulled behind a tractor.

Mtn.Mike

Threads
I have to put in my "plug" for my Cub Cadet "72" Tank". I mow as much, or more that 6 acres and this mower has made a believer out of me. I've had it for 3 years now and have done nothing but replace a couple of belts.
I know it doesn't cost as much as a Kubota, Grasshopper, Dixie Cutter or any of the other "commercial" mowers but I'm hard on it and it takes it.

Just my 2c worth.

Mike

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can mow any area faster with a ZTR... That is a ZTR with a large deck. It will finish ahead of any tractor with the same size deck... The ride quality can also be much better on a ZTR that is set up for speed & good ride...
I will occasionally mow my about 10 acre back grass area with my 72 inch Industrial ZTR just because it is fun... It has a cab so It is not unpleasant mowing... I normally use my mid size Kubota tractor also with a cab & an 84 inch Land Pride rear mount finish mower... They take about the same time ... the 7 foot deck will finish slightly quicker... but the ZTR IS more fun... they both give an excellent perfect cut.... The ZTR is running mulching blades and will do a little better job of cutting taller grasses ... but a day after mowing you will be hard pressed to tell a difference between the cut... :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
I think the reason some think a ZTR don't ride as good as a tractor is ground speed.

If you slow down and run at the speed you would be mowing with a tractor it will ride better.
If you drive you tractor 7 mph on your lawn you will find it rides much different than 2 mph

Their is no way to mow under my low hanging limbs on my evergreen trees with a tractor but with a front deck you can mow under them.
I only have 42 evergreen trees to mow under and around. :biggrin:

Not only does my ZTR save time mowing the open spaces but it eliminates 45 minutes of mowing time with a hand mower.

My JD 430 tractor has not had the deck on it in the last 20 years.
No point in using it when I have two ZTR mowers, But I plan on selling the GH so then I will just have the new JD